Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

Default almost at goal, but not looking forward to wearing a swimsuit!

Last summer, I was so confident in my swimsuit, and I was about 30-40 lbs heavier than I am now. I'm not looking forward to this summer at all! I think my problem is that last summer I knew that I was still pretty heavy, and everyone else knew that I was still pretty heavy so I din't really care if they saw me in my swimsuit. Now, I look pretty good fully dressed, but in my suit...not so hot! Everyone keeps telling me how great I look and how I don't need to lose anymore. I really don't want them to see me in my bathing suit because then they'll know that I don't look that great. Does this make any sense? Does anyone else feel this way?
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Congrats!
I feel the exact same way! I recently hit goal and while i'm still working on toning up and fitness, I'm definitely not looking foward to the swimsuits haha
For me, I think its because everyone knows I lost a fair amount of weight, that theyre expecting one of those before and after photoshopped pictures on the fad diet commericals.
It's kind of a lot of pressure to fit this expectation of how losing a large amount of weight is supposed to look. I don't want the first weekend beach trip to be some kind of big "reveal" but I feel like others will be watching.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I am definitely anxious about this. In particular, I have some unsightly cascading looseness on my inner thighs. Right now, I would only feel comfortable in board shorts.

I am working hard on toning and stuff and hopefully it will work, but I feel like my bathing suit body is like a billboard advertising that I used to be fat and thus my thinness isn't good enough. Clothed, I know that nobody who didn't know me would ever know. I know my thinness is good enough, but I have definitely moved to being more concerned about my appearance now that my health is under control.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
I am definitely anxious about this. In particular, I have some unsightly cascading looseness on my inner thighs. Right now, I would only feel comfortable in board shorts.

I am working hard on toning and stuff and hopefully it will work, but I feel like my bathing suit body is like a billboard advertising that I used to be fat and thus my thinness isn't good enough. Clothed, I know that nobody who didn't know me would ever know. I know my thinness is good enough, but I have definitely moved to being more concerned about my appearance now that my health is under control.
Yup, this is me. I'm going swimming tonight, one way or the other...but I am very self conscious of my inner thighs. I feel exactly like this is an advertisement of my former obesity. Sigh. I'm hoping things will improve as I go - but I'm not going to let it stop me from swimming.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/135/140

Height: 5'6"

Let's just say I'll be searching for the cutest possible granny-skirted swimsuit this year LOL!! My belly is still very flabby so a 2 piece is out of the question....and my thighs are not so great either hence the granny skirt

I live in Ohio and we're going to Florida for a Disney vacation in late April so I am working really hard now to tone what I can before then.
Mama2Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm actually looking forward to it and am planning on purchasing my first ever bikini! I found a boy shorts bikini that really appeals to me because it is high waisted, thus covering the lovely belly pooch. My thighs are another issue, but I'm hoping no one's eyes are drawn to the thighs. Think about it. When you see another woman in a bathing suit, where do your eyes goes? Do they ever go to the thighs? Mine do not.

So I figure as long as you can enhance the tummy, which most suits do these days, and flatter the bosom, you are good to go!

Last edited by Eliana; 02-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #7  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been ordering swimsuits from Lands End so that I can try on different sizes and styles looking for something flattering. One pieces are too long for me (5'2") and short torso swimsuits are rare to find in D & DD cup sizes. So far I've returned 2 and found 2 that might work (one's a tankini and the other is one-piece). My thighs aren't a pretty sight either, but I've started lifting to hopefully tone up. In my looking for swimsuits online, I've found that the models don't have the prettiest of thighs either! I think it's just not a particularly attractive part of the body regardless of weight. DH seems to think I'm pretty hot in my new swimsuits, so I'll just try to let go of the rest. I find that when I go to the pool, I'm not checking out other women, I'd like to pretend they're not checking me out either.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Rachael: "unsightly cascasding looseness"???? ROTFL!!!

SkinnyCow, I hear ya. This is the fundamental basis of weightloss...you get rid of the excess, and then people see you, and what if they don't like something? When you're fat, it acts as a barrier between judgment and your sense of self, because it's like 'well, this isn't really me, the real me is under all this stuff'. But when you're showing who you actually are...that's a really big change and a huge step into vulnerability. All that comes to mind is that a) your physical body is not you, something that for me is hard to forget, particularly during weightloss when you become consumed with it in order to succeed at the task. We are so much more than our bodies though.

And, b)...isn't it refreshing in a completely horrifying way to be like 'this is me, like it or not'? It brings a whole new hurdle and all kinds of new things to deal with, but I feel like they're closer to our journey in life and not just the symptoms. When you obsess about your weight, you're treating the symptom of the disease, and not the disease. Not that you (or me or anyone!!!) is a disease or a problem to be solved. For me it's realizing that it's not a problem. Accepting who I am under all the lard was the challenge (and continues to be), regardless of whether or not the lard was actually there.

On a superficial (but entirely sincere) level, you look wonderful, and you will rock that swimsuit. But, I understand that knowing that doesn't necessarily make it any easier. Chin up cowgirl! Splish splash.
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

PS: also on an entirely superficial level...I swim, no matter what my weight, and I have gotten more dates and met more guys at the pool than anywhere else. This is utterly absurd, because if I do say so myself, I look great with nice hair and my pretty clothes and makeup, but in the pool I wear no makeup, a very serviceable and practical training suit that is a) COMPLETELY unflattering (we're talking cut too high for 'unsightly cascading looseness' to the 10th power), hideous color, no bust support, way too tight as is necessary with a good lap suit), and more cellulite than you'd see in a bowflex infomercial. For whatever reason...guys could give a hoot!!! Maybe women are less intimidating at their basics?? And I do mean basics. Incidentally, the best first date I ever had with a guy was one I met in the pool after a workout. My eyes were bright red from too-tight goggles, I was wearing an archaic ugly unflattering monster of a suit, and...well. Couldn't believe that we went out, but on our date, instead of worrying about what I looked like or if I had spinach in my teeth, I just thought hey, he has truly seen me at my worst and we're still here...rock on! It was very liberating. Great to start a relationship at the bottom of the rung, truly gives you something to work up to!!
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #10  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

We are our own worst critics! I bet that others will think you look fab. You have to find a way to love and except yourself with your flaws. You have done a fab job live in the moment!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote