Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post

ETA: Oh and those piercings in her belly just make me feel old! When I was in my 20s it was all about bell button rings, when did we start piercing our bellies?
Weird. I didn't know anyone was doing that! lol
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #17  

I agree - so not fair!!!!!!!!! I'm 24..no kids..yes, I have some stretch marks! Even if she's 22, and she lost over 120 how do you NOT have stretch marks...???? Is that even possible? I'm thinking there must be some airbrushing or something.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #18  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Hey, with Photoshop I can lose sixty pounds, get a boob job, and lose my stretch marks, so I totally understand how she's stretch-mark-less in that photograph.

I'm sure she really did lose all that weight and has a great deal to be proud of, I'm just dubious that her actual belly looks like what's in the picture. More power to her for losing the weight, though, and I'm sure the real her also looks fantastic--just not Photoshop-fantastic.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
Hey, with Photoshop I can lose sixty pounds, get a boob job, and lose my stretch marks, so I totally understand how she's stretch-mark-less in that photograph.
LOL!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #20  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie5 View Post
definitely well said!! i agree with you 100% i've learned to not even think twice about the ads and things i see on tv or online because i KNOW how easy it is to airbrush things to give people this false ideal of what a "beautiful body" should look like, that they will never achieve because the image they're seeing isn't even real.
Im a model on my spare time and ive done couple fashion show (pin up girl style so yes we are considered plus size)
I lost my weight last year and now I am maintaining. I was really concerned about my boobs extra skin but let me tell you that photographers and fashion shows dont give a damn. If you have the face, the attitude, the right make up and the right tricks, anyone can look like that after photoshop. I mean even in fashion shows you wouldnt believe what ive seen. Skinny models with cellulite that has to wrap it in a cling film (its not cling film but similar) so it doesnt show trough the silk.
Plus size model that would tape their extra skin so it doesnt show through the pants.. Corsets, rings, elastics etc anythingt o hold the body in a perfect shape.
Some of the pictures of me that has been retouched dont even look liek me anymore.. and thats the industry.

So when you see an image in the magazine or go to a fashion show, thes epeople ar enot real. They spend countless hours trying to fix things everyone has but dont like.

What the video evolution from dove on you tube. Thats the real deal. Thats what the industry defines as beauty when I wouldnt even look at that girl twice on the street.

I was considering starting a thread about my experience as a model and how much it made me accept myself to see that all these perfect girls in maagazines and runaways are actually jsut like me. they are surely far from being perfect.
I think after reading this, I will definately do it I have so much footage from behind the scene or pictures of me before and after retouching.

Last edited by Zofia; 01-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Does anyone remember that article posted about Kelly Osbourne? She looks GREAT, but after watching the video clip of her interview, and comparing it to the magazine cover, they went as far as giving her abs when she didn't have abs in her clip. Everything is airbrushed that's printed in a magazine. When will society realize that we want to see REAL women and real results? Even weight loss commercials have their people altered to look better.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

my boyfriend is a professional photographer, and image re-toucher.

Let me tell you, those pics are definitely photoshopped, and it's amazing what I personally can do with Photoshop, let alone him.

Once I saw the photoshop process, honestly I never EVER take what I see in any magazine (or picture, of anyone!) for what it really is. There are people that even photoshop their own pictures on their personal blogs!

So, while it's true that some people come out unscathed without a mark to be found after losing a ton of weight, I'm willing to bet those are few and far between.

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #23  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm sure that girl was Photoshopped, but I also see a thick scar under her arm. Brachioplasty?
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #24  

That girl may be photoshopped, but there really are people out there who lose the weight w/o any saggy skin. I personally know a couple.

As to the stretch marks, they fade and get smaller over time so they really aren't noticable anymore.

Bottom line: don't waste energy comparing yourself to others. There will always be someone better looking and there will always be someone who looks worse.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #25  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

They are definitely definitely definitely photoshopped. Even girls who have been that size all their lives don't look that good
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 195/154/135

Photoshopping, yes, but I think also a lot more people have surgery than what you think. She probably wouldn't want to admit to a surgery.

I am 27 and will be saggy when I'm done, but I haven't had kids so a tummy tuck isn't really an option for me unless I want to pay for it twice after kids. Since you've had kids, you could have a tummy tuck or a mini-tuck. Abby Rike talked openly on her facebook about her skin tightening surgery and apparently it's a given that every contestant on the Biggest Loser gets lots of skin removed after the show.
SJtangerines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #27  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I would seriously consider surgery, however, in this economy that's a big NO for me. I also would like a second child some day.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote