Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Feel so skinny - mirror disagrees

Isn't it nice when you slip into a new size of clothes, look down at how amazingly skinny you are looking these days... and then you glance in the mirror and realise that oh no, I may be smaller than before but I'm still fat.

Gutted!
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Yep. I do the same thing almost. Only mine is that I get compliments on how skinny I am (still overweight, people), and then look in the mirror and I'm like what are they talking about??? I still have a lot of fat everywhere - in fact, even with weight training and exercise, I'm 90% sure that as far as fat percentage, I'm still obese. -sigh-

I just try to remind myself that yeah, I'm fat, but I'm working on it constantly. And that less than half a year ago I was over 200 lbs. That always makes me feel happy about how far I've come.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Daily. I do this daily.

But, then I remember that really, the clothes are falling off and the weight is too. It would be nice if just once I could SEE the loss.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Same here. In some clothes I look
very slimming! Today I actually had
to hold a pair of dress pants up most
of the day because they kept slipping
off! I know I'm losing weight but
like everyone else, I cannot see it.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

This happens to me all the time. I recently weighed in at 150-and looking in the mirror my stomach is just as big as it was two weeks ago. I dont get it. Why can't I see a physical difference?? I feel like I should be able to tell! Lol. It's frustrating because I want it so badly and I'm doing so well on my diet. And people notice. Like that isn't the issue. People definitely notice

Yes I fit into my pair of skinny jeans recently-but they're still a size 10! And my thighs are still large and my stomach still has rolls. Sigh. I'm just praying that I dont hit a platuae anytime soon because seriously, I don't know if I could stay motivated without physical proof that there is a difference.

Ugh so frustrating! I hate how it is so easy to gain weigh tand so hard to lose it!

Last edited by wibblewobble; 12-01-2010 at 10:43 PM.
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

When I'm having one of these days really badly and feel like giving up on everything, I go to my closet and pull out the one pair of pants I saved that I wore at my largest size/highest weight and put them on. "I may still be chubby but I went from size 28 to 12 and I effin' rock for doing it."

It helps. Usually.

Last edited by morphomel; 01-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
morphomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5

I hate it when that happens
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #8  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I was in Walmart at the returns dept. yesterday. They have one of those TVs there where you can see yourself while waiting in line. I glanced up, like always, and thought it must not be pointed in the same direction because I didn't see myself. Suddenly I realized it was me, and I didn't recognize myself. I actually looked thin. First time for me thinking that, pretty much ever.

Then I walked over to the clothing dept. and they have all those full-length mirrors. I looked at my reflection and all I could see was the trouble spots. Suddenly I felt huge.

Strange how you can feel so good and so bad all within moments of each other.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

For me, I see what I want to see in the mirror, but at least 3/4 of the pictures of myself that I see make me sick. A life without cameras would be a wonderful life indeed.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

For me, it truly depends on the mirror, the camera, or the lighting. I can feel like I look so normal and healthy one minute (right before I leave the house), followed by a new, random glimpse of myself in a new mirror or photo and think "how can my butt be suddenly SO big?"

I would actually love a world with no reflections! And, as krampus said, no cameras!
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

When you look in the mirror you make mirror preparations, straighten out the lumps in your clothes, pull down your top nice and smooth, straighten your hair, put on a nice expression, etc. Candid photo moments catch you the way you look when your hair has escaped, your belly is not pulled in and your clothes look like they have molehills in them!

But even photos I have prepared for I hate. I put so much effort into getting them to look good, and the 2 people who take most photos of me are my hubby and FIL. Both of them take a good 2-3 minutes staring down the lens getting ready to press the button (WHY???!!!!!) and my face gets weirder and weirder as I try to make sure my eyelids are not droopy and I am smiling nicely and I've pulled up my flabby chin, and then I end up with a picture that looks like I'm totally vacant.

And you normally look in a mirror standing up, photos are more often sitting down. I hate that about being a wheelchair user cos my thighs are always flat down, my backside squashed up into my hips and my back squished down so my tummy sticks out. I'd love some standing up pictures, on the days I can stand up I adore my thighs.

But in any case I have a fat photo gene. I have a picture of me when I was a size 14UK and my mum is standing next to me a size 24, my sister the other side size 16. I don't just look like the fattest person in the picture but the fattest by a wide, wide margin, like they are BMI 25 and mine is 40+. And it's not just me, everyone who sees that picture agrees I look super-giant. Possibly cos I have a tiny head and giant shoulders, but who knows?
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #12  
Zoë's Mommy

S/C/G: 300.2/295.8/150

Height: 5'8"

Muscle takes up space too just not as much. It balances out as you burn more fat. The muscle makes it easier to burn. It's under there though taking up some space.

I've had the same thing when I've managed to lose 40-50 lbs. But when you are in the mid to high 200's that isn't putting you in a thinner place at all.

I've heard we lose it first from the place we last put it on the other stuff that has been around longer takes longer to come off but if we keep at it then we will see changes.
Zoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I'm actually the opposite of krampus (and some others, apparently). In pictures, I think I look okay a lot of the time, thinner than I think I am; in fact, I took some progress pictures the other day and I retook the pic half a dozen times because I was sure the lighting or something was making me look thinner in the pics than I am. In the mirror, OMG the fat!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote