Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Rachel, Forget the BMI number, it is not very accurate for most people. Go take a look at a height versus weight chart. If you are small framed, then the insurance people who have calculated the weight at which people live the longest say a person who is 5'6 (or 5'7" in one inch shoes) should weigh between 123 and 136 in 3 pounds of indoor clothing. So if you are small framed 135 is a totally reasonable goal. They have you measure you elbow to determine frame size. A medium framed woman of your height would be 133-147 in clothing, so you could well be medium framed and still be totally correct in your chosen goal too. In fact at 154 you would still be considered overweight if you are either small or medium framed. I think it is totally reasonable to want to get down to this weight. Also if you are large framed and want to stop slightly above the BMI number, that can be a valid choice too, since you'd still be in the "good range". You should base it on your own individual frame and not some generalized number.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 12-14-2010 at 08:30 PM.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #17  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I tell people who ask that I've met my goal. Which I have met the original goal of losing 100 lbs. However I now plan on losing more, but how would they know if I didn't tell? Even to maintain, I will be eating and exercising the same way and these last 15 lbs will likely take 4-6 months so it's not like they'll even be able to see the difference.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #18  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Some women are definitely sensitive to the idea of their friends weighing slightly more/less than they do -- it's absolutely a vanity thing. Even skinny women deprive themselves of pie and feel a little entitled to be comparatively smaller, right?

I think the best solution is to not tell people you're still losing weight -- or in my case, because I'm currently in normal BMI weight, to not tell them at all. Don't let someone else's self-image issues sabotage your own struggle for better health.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/119/120

Height: 5 ' 1.5"

its funny to me reading this because just the other day a co-worker asked me if I planned to keep losing ( now at 120, 5 1") and instead of saying I would like to lose 5 or 10 more, I just lied and said I was at maintenance. It was just easier than trying to convince other people what my body should weigh. People just don't need to know my business !
ungluued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

I'm almost at my goal, but I think I'm gonna go lower to about 150. I just say that because I have a smaller frame, I'm aiming for the lower end of a healthy BMI.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 187/siggy/120

Height: 5' 3"

Old thread, I know .
My dad actually said something along these lines earlier-"How much more weight are you planning to lose?! There won't be any of you left!" I just told him "until I feel right". He doesn't seem very happy with that answer lol.
setsysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 142/110/103

Height: 5'2"

I used to be 142, and now at 112 people tell me if I lose any more weight I'd be disgusting, and that I'm already stick thin. The thing is, I'm not stick thin, I'm in the lower range of a healthy BMI, but I can lose another 10ish pounds before I'm underweight. I do want to be healthy, but I also want to be thin, and I know I can be. I feel like people think I'm so thin because they are used to me when I was chubby, but if I had been this weight all along, they would see me as normal sized instead of stick thin.
greekgirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

I agree with you greekgirl.. I use to have some co-workers tell me to stop losing weight, as if it was really any of their business to say something like that.

But, I do think people are used to seeing larger people in general because most of the population is overweight and obese. There aren't a lot of "normal" sized people, or people at a healthy weight, so we may look "too small or too thin" when we are actually at a healthy weight. Especially if they'd seen us overweight before.

I think some people say these things because they mean well and are concerned about eating disorders I guess, but I honestly think it's more of a reflection of personal insecurities.
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #24  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureedee View Post
I agree, it's a perception thing. My cousin told me the other day that I'm getting way too skinny, when in reality I'm still quite chubby and I am still technically overweight. The lowest he had ever seen me was 10lbs heavier than this, and he's used to seeing me between 200-240, so to him I'm sure I do look quite skinny. My mom's the same way, she keeps asking where I think I can possibly lose another 25lbs from; thing is, I may not look that big but I seem to have a smaller frame than I had thought, so I have much more fat than I need. I don't even pull the "I'm still overweight" card, I just say that I'm not where I want to be just yet and they usually leave it at that; if not, I just change the subject.
Absolutely this !!
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #25  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

completley agree, i always get this when i reach around 170lbs, "oh you dont need to lose anymore" etc , like honestly i will lose how much i like/can.
Very often by skinny people who DONT have to work at it! My bum & boobs are STILL big at 140lbs, not like im going to get knocked down with a feather!
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote