Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #1  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy Loose Skin - Oh my gosh!! Advice, please

I've heard about people having "loose skin" after losing a lot of weight, but I didn't really know what that meant. Like, maybe some areas were a little saggy, but in my head it always looked kind of like smaller fatty bulges. I just looked up some pictures on Google and was shocked. I don't know why I was exactly, but there was definitely a little surprise at seeing what it looks like.

So, how do I know if I'll have loose skin like that after I lose the weight? I've tried looking around the forum here, but what I've pretty much found is, "It depends." I found some things it depends on, but not what's likely for me. It's a little scary for me, since I never thought about that. I don't want to look worse after I lost the weight. I'm definitely still going to lose it, but I want to try and prevent as much excess skin as I can.

How likely is it that I'll have a lot of loose skin? Does anyone ever lose a little under 90 lbs and not have a lot of loose skin afterward?

I'm 21, female, have pretty darn fair skin, I don't tan much at all, never smoked, barely drink, try to drink a lot of water, do some light weight lifting after my cardio 2-3 times a week. I've been overweight since I was in my early teens, but only got to 207 for a couple months. Before that I'd been hovering in the 180s and 190s, depending. I've got a straight/apple shaped body. I'm mostly worried about my inner thighs, upper arms, and belly for loose skin.

I'd really appreciate a detailed answer for this. I'd like to mentally (and physically) prepare myself if I can.

How much loose skin might I expect? What can I do to minimize it (exercises, programs, etc.)?

Someone told me Pilates can help. Can it?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by LiannaKole; 09-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220.6/tick/135.0

Height: 5' 5"

I'm concerned about this as well! I had the same stats as you when I was 21, but now I am 30, so at least you are doing something about it now.
lindalee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Point 1 - there is no real way to predict this accurately. It really does just depend, and you can't know ahead of time what will happen.

Point 2 - Loose skin, even when extreme, is way easier to hide in clothing than skin full of fat.

Point 3 - If you lose weight, and you don't like how the skin looks, you can always gain the weight back to fill that skin back out.

So my advice is to not worry about it. You don't know what will happen, so why worry about it now?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I really agree. It's very individual and has a lot to do with genetics and length of time you were obese etc. Why worry about it now? You can't really do anything about it ahead of time anyway. And would you really rather have excess fat over excess skin? I have some loose skin, but clothing covers that right up. There was nothing I could do to cover up the 111lb I was carrying around. And, like Amanda said, if you don't like it, just gain the weight back
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

I second. I'm at 100 pounds lost, and have a little loose skin, but NOTHING can be as bad as being as big as I was. I wouldn't think you'd have a lot, but it's so worth it to lose the weight!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #6  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Just a data point: I'm a nonathletic 48-year-old who had been obese for nearly 20 years before my recent weight loss. I have a slight case of "bat wings", but no worse than "normal" women my age who don't do arm exercises. I wore an old sleeveless top recently with a friend who I knew I could trust to tell me if it looked stupid--she thought it looked great.

My midsection and thighs look sort of lumpy, but no one sees them under my clothes--and I look much better now with clothes on.

The biggest thing I hope will tighten up is a crepe-y, wrinkly wattle that I don't expect anyone in their twenties will have to worry about. The wattle does seem to be tightening up a bit, so I'm hoping it will be mostly gone after I lose the last ten pounds.

I don't have any hangy skin that I think will need surgery--I've actually been pretty lucky. In any case, I like the way my body looks a lot more now than I did when I weighted 260 pounds!
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Another thing to remember is that any loose skin you might see the day you hit goal, will continue to improve even after the weight is gone. I've been at goal for over a year now and I can tell you without a doubt that my skin looks way better today than it did July 3, 2009. I'm twice your age and lost darn near your beginning weight. If I would have only kept off the weight I lost when I was your age, I'd probably look pretty darn hot for a 45 year old.

If you are worried about it now, maybe this will keep you away from the junk food and drive-thrus in the future...because it will only get worse every time you re-gain and lose. Age is not your friend when it comes to loose skin.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-15-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Everyone makes good points, but as a side note:

If your googling images of loose skin, the images google is going to show you are from cases of extreme weight loss mostly due to weight loss surgery. That's where it is most common, people who have weight loss surgery lose a lot of weight very quickly and develop it due to that.

I know this because I did the same as you, but then stopped and looked at the actual pages coming up and realized these people are in a different situation than I am. I am lifting weights and eating right and losing slowly. I moisturize to help, and use a body scrub to slough dead skin off.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 272/258.4/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinboston89 View Post
I really agree. It's very individual and has a lot to do with genetics and length of time you were obese etc. Why worry about it now? You can't really do anything about it ahead of time anyway. And would you really rather have excess fat over excess skin? I have some loose skin, but clothing covers that right up. There was nothing I could do to cover up the 111lb I was carrying around. And, like Amanda said, if you don't like it, just gain the weight back
Now, I've seen your photos...where exactly are you hiding this loose skin you speak of? LOL...You seem quite smooth skinned to me.
thewronggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 272/258.4/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Another thing to remember is that any loose skin you might see the day you hit goal, will continue to improve even after the weight is gone. I've been at goal for over a year now and I can tell you without a doubt that my skin looks way better today than it did July 3, 2009.
It's really encouraging to hear that it has improved with time. This is definitely a topic that weighs heavily on my mind. I'm not letting it stop me from losing the weight, but it is a major fear.
thewronggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #11  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I've lost 60 pounds since January 1st, so not too quick like some of the people who have surgery. I'm approaching 44, and I do have some wrinkly, loose skin, but it is improving as I keep working out. I think your body will continue to reabsorb the excess, and the younger you are, the faster and further it is likely to happen. I wouldn't trade my body now for the tight skin filled with fat--you get the stretch marks either way. lol. Don't worry. Moisturize with vitamin E and collagen, and enjoy your transformation. Worrying will just give you wrinkles!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #12  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

many people, like myself, who have loose skin issues have a much, much less obvious situation than the type of pix google will show you on a search.

i have lost over 100lbs and while i do have loose skin and am super aware of it....no one else ever notices. just standing in front of a full length mirror my skin looks pretty damn good front and back, but if contort myself in certain ways it is visible.

i think an issue most people dont discuss related to loose skin is that someone who is 150lbs and who was 250lbs will looks *much* different naked that someone that was 130lbs and gained 20lbs. my loose skin makes me looks less "tight" even at 137, like the fat isnt so compacted it can move around more.

but really - even if i had issues to the extent of the pics, there is absolutely no way id prefer to be 240lbs! im just trying to lose more body fat, work on my skin by eating extremely healthy, and toning too!

bottom line - dont be too freaked, and just focus on the day to day
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #13  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

You can always get an arm lift or something
im no where near goal and im already saving so the day i hit goal i can see a doctor
blkbarbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I saw a girl in the gym who must have had this surgery on her upper arms. She had huge purple scars down the back of both arms. I guess they'll fade but I don't think hanging skin would have looked worse then those huge purple scars. Looked painful!

Stacy
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #15  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Flexees makes these camis that I SWEAR by. Yeah I have tons loose skin but most people would never know . It's all sucked back in where it belongs. I'd rather have to wear an extra undershirt than wear an 80 lb. fat blanket!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote