Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #1  
alliesmom00

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Need advice on tummy tuck

I have finally scheduled my tummy tuck. However, the type that the doctor is going to do not only is there going to be an incision along the bikini line but also one that runs vertically past my belly button. It is necessary because of the amount of skin I have. he is also sewing my abdominal muscles together as well. Anyone had this done. Would love to hear more from you. I am nervous about the scaring but realize that this type is best for me.

Please post
alliesmom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago, but only had the horizontal incision. I had my tummy tuck due to loose skin from pg - was overweight when I had it done, but I am really happy with the results, even though I am still at the wt I was at then.

I guess I am not sure what info you are looking for, but I would recommend that you meet with at least 3 surgeons, as every surgeon will have a different way they would do things and they also vary on price, due to the varying procedures they do.

Recovery is painful, but manageable. Side effects last a LONG time. You will have swelling of the abdonminal area and legs for MONTHS after the surgery...you will at times look 6 months pregnant from the swelling. Swelling will be worse at first after exercise/salty meals/wine. I remember wondering if it was worth it, due to the swelling, but now 2 years later I am so happy I did it. A support site I used was makemeheal.com and tuckthattummy.com (tuck site has some racy avatars - that are not work suitable).

If you have specific questions, let me know. I would happy to answer them....even the ones that seem to be TMI

Pam
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

I have some tummy tuck questions if you don't mind me hijacking this thread...
After two pregnancies my stomach is striped with stretch marks. As I shrink, I can already see excess skin accumulating. How does a tummy tuck work with such reduced elasticity? I wonder if my skin is weakened by them?
Thoughts?
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Ok well boy do we ever have a ton of threads on tummy tucks here!!!! You can do a search or scroll back through the pages and will find tons of information, advice and personal experiences. Its worth a gander!

I've had a TT and would do it again in a heartbeat. A vertical scar I've never heard of though. Very unusual I would guess.

And Macomom--- the TT is not effected by nor effects the skins elasticity. The whole point of the surgery is to remove excess skin that won't "snap back."
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #5  
run4change

S/C/G: 307.6/184/196

Amen that I was pointed over to this area. Was looking for info. on this but couldn't find any. Now I myself will take a good gander. Thank you
run4change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I'll second what pmteub said - make me heal website is a fantastic resource! (not detracting from 3fc at all; but I found make me heal was more focused on surgery and it's intricacies)

I had a tummy tuck on 25th June last year. Only had the horizontal incision and no ab repair as not needed but I did go into surgery with the expected result of having a vertical cut too. Surgeon said it's because of the skin laxity (sp?). However... he ended up slicing me, lifting my skin all the way up to my ribcage and draping (for want of a better word? lol) it back so I only ended up with a horizontal scar.

I've also seen people have very small (almost like a slight nick) vertical scar. I believe this is where the 'old' belly button hole was and there isn't enough skin to move it down and sew you back without evidence of the old button.

Anyway - enough rambles! lol hth
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote