Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #16  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'll throw in my experience here. First, as people have said, there are basically two options (and variations thereof) - 1) implants, with or without other reconstruction, and 2) a lift/reduction, aka reconstruction.

Essentially, if you have lost (or never had) a significant amount of your breast tissue (if you had no skin issues, you'd be an A or B cup), you can add implants on their own, which may give you enough lift/fullness on their own, or you can add implants along with a lift/reconstruction (they remove/remodel some skin/tissues along with the implants - more scars but may be required for a good result depending on what you have).

The other option is a lift and/or a reduction - if you're ok with the amount of tissue you have (i.e. if you pull the skin away/taut, or in a bra, you have plenty of "boob", just too much skin with it), then you can have surgery to remove the skin/remodel the tissues without implants. This is often done with the "full-body lift" or just on its own - my mother-in-law had this process done a couple years ago.

As far as scarring/effects, I can give you my experiences. I had a reduction done in Dec '03 at the age of 21 - I was a 34H with the boobs-to-navel issues. It's been 5 years, and while I do have a fair bit of scarring, it's very faint and no one seems to notice it but me (I've complained about it with friends when trying on swimsuits, and they couldn't tell what I was talking about). From a bit of surfing, it looks like the procedures are similar for reduction and lift (just depends on if they're taking tissue/skin or just skin) - here's a link that discusses lift techniques and details (including a 3D animation that's very informative, if a bit creepy!) I had the "anchor technique" - I have a long scar that extends from my ribs under each armpit around the bottom and halfway up the center of each breast (mostly hidden in the "fold" and by the bra band), a scar circling each areola, and a very faint (essentially invisible) scar connecting the two vertically. Honestly, my only real issue with the scars are that I'm uncomfortable going braless in PJs and such when staying away from home - the circular scars make my areolae/nipples much more prominent than I would like!

I can't tell anyone how she's going to deal with the scarring/surgery vs the issues of saggy/"empty" boobs. I can say that I'm VERY happy with how mine turned out, and even though the scars affect me very occasionally (I can't wear demi-cut bras because the circular scars show out the top), I'm very happy and much more confident with how things look now. On a similar note, my mother-in-law has expressed the same opinion - she's happy with how things turned out (though she has the same problem with the circular scars and thin fabrics, as was discussed at great length a very odd Christmas Eve dinner last year!)

Anyhow, I realize I've written a novel here, and I'd be glad to answer any questions (here or pm) anyone might have. At the end of the day, it comes down to what's important to you - balancing pros/cons for risks of surgery/scarring vs self-conscious/uncomfortable and so on. I talked to several women who had reductions before making my decision, and my mother-in-law did the same thing for her lift - even knowing all the downsides, it was well worth it for almost everyone who did it (I haven't talked to anyone who regretted it).

Oh, and on the breastfeeding aspect - I was told by my surgeon that with the modern techniques (where everything possible stays attached), 85% of women are able to nurse following a reduction.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #17  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

This is so funny talking about deflated boobs. I like to call mine "bags of sag". Even if I do lose a whole lot of weight theres no way I can afford either a lift or implants. So I guess I'll be hitting the wonder bra section or whatever will do the job. For my hubby, he wont care but I know us girls do care what they look like. Just try to be happy you have lost weight and focus on the positive.....
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

$4950 seems cheap for plastic surgery although I never really priced any out. I started with a 46B and now I'm a 38C. Its just all weird sizing stuff. Although I really want a lower body lift eventually but I'm a bit cheap and not sure if I'm willing to pay that much and I'm also a bit scared of surgery.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #19  
Workin' It

The average right now is around $5000 for silicone implants without lift, I've seen people who paid from $4200 - $6000. The price increases dramatically if you need any kind of lift or special work done, or if you want a non-standard sized implant put in. Some areas are more expensive - LA, New Jersey are running $6000-$8000.

I also saw some quotes as low as $3000, but doubted the reliability of those.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #20  

S/C/G: maintaining at 135-140

Height: 5'5"

I found a wonderful site that has pictures of real women after giving birth. I have not (yet) had a child (I'm hoping) but I more resemble some of these pictures just from having lost so much weight.

I don't know if we are allowed to post links here..? The site is: theshapeofamother (dotcom)

NOTE: NOT work-safe, as the site does contain nudity.
Bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #21  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk Chick View Post
As far as scarring/effects, I can give you my experiences. I had a reduction done in Dec '03 at the age of 21 - I was a 34H with the boobs-to-navel issues.

Very informative post! Depending on how I look when I'm done losing weight, I am thinking about a lift. I think (hope?) I'll have plenty of boob left because of the size I am now (up in the G/H category). Here is my question: Did you experience a permanent loss of sensation? I'm worried about that, as I've heard that it can be a problem for some people. I'm not sure I want to go "perky" if that also means being numb!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #22  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I had a lift and it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself, bar none. I'd do it again every single year, if I had to.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #23  
Workin' It

I haven't had any loss in sensation anywhere so far from my augmentation, but I had the crease incision instead of the nipple.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #24  

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
I had a lift and it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself, bar none. I'd do it again every single year, if I had to.
How are you scars?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #25  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Very informative post! Depending on how I look when I'm done losing weight, I am thinking about a lift. I think (hope?) I'll have plenty of boob left because of the size I am now (up in the G/H category). Here is my question: Did you experience a permanent loss of sensation? I'm worried about that, as I've heard that it can be a problem for some people. I'm not sure I want to go "perky" if that also means being numb!
Nope - no loss of sensation! As a matter of fact, there was a general increase in overall sensitivity, since I didn't have the pressure/weight compressing things.

The way my surgeon explained it (and I've heard from others, too), the only way you'll lose sensation normally is if things are so far down/big that they actually have to remove the nipple entirely and graft it elsewhere, instead of just rearranging the tissues. (This is also the type of surgery where there's no change for later nursing, since obviously everything's been cut). Obviously there's always the chance for infection/damage/complications which could result in problems/loss of sensation, but these are relatively low risks.

I'm very glad I had the reduction done when I did, and it's made such a difference in my life. I can run, workout, etc, and I have none of the back pain that was already plaguing me at 21. I wouldn't say it's the right choice for everyone, but I'm always willing to share my experiences!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #26  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
How are you scars?
I scar really well (yes, that's a strange thing to say!) and they're flat and flesh-colored, so they're REALLY not noticable. There's one in the crease against my ribs, one from the center of that up to the nipple, and then one around the nipple (on each breast). They're mostly hidden, and the ones around my nipples really aren't noticable as scars at all.

I have 27 scars from various accidents and surgeries, so scars really don't matter to me. Thankfully I've never had a problem with adhesions or keloiding. There's a little loss of sensation since my doc had to remove so much skin, but it's really not worrisome. Totally worth it!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #27  
Getting back on track!

S/C/G: 272/ticker/142

Height: 5'8

I'd go with a good supportive bra. I've also found that push up's perk things up a bit!
Tryingtostayskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #28  

Height: 5'6.5

I've been looking online for different doctors. How do I know which is the right one?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #29  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

This was a very interesting discussion!

My boobs are also hanging way much lower than I'd like so I've thought about getting a lift later on, once my weight has stabilised and I've stayed on the same weight for a year. For me it's all the yoyo-ing up and down in weight since I was a teenager (I'm 31 now) that caused the long books, I guess.

I've never had any surgery of any kind so it seems very scary to cut away skin and tissue and whathaveyou but I've looked around on the web and the results seem to be good, for many patients.

Bras are fine but only go so far.. I get a little sad every time I undress and see my droppy boobs hanging down there, knowing that they will only get worse as I age.. The size of the actual breasts is fine, it's the.. ehrm.. length that I'm not happy with.

I'm thinking of saving money every month until I've been at my goal weight interval for a year and then see if I want to go through with the procedure. I'm not going to have any children so that's not a factor and I don't intend to balloon in weight any more either.

Glad to hear that those of you who have had the procedure got such great results!
silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

they've been big for so long, mine are pretty droopy. I hate that.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote