Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #31  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Well I do have to say that the two surgeries would be hard to compare. I mean a c-sec, you're cutting all the way through the muscle layers and into the abdominal cavity - and into the uterus. A tummy tuck involves skin. There's no penetration of the abdominal cavity and no involvement of any internal organs. It's kinda like comparing a filling to a root canal.

Yes, they are very different.

However in abdominoplasty, sometimes the abdominal muscle and fascia is involved as well, so it's not just "skin". It's not the uterus either though!

SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Would I have plastic surgery? Yes - in fact I just did lol I'm 8 days post op from a full tummy tuck. Removed 4lbs of skin and well I'm now swollen like a drum/barrel and can't get into any of my clothes at the moment

Thought long and hard about it - I haven't hit my 'ultimate' goal but to be honest I'm not sure I ever will - just not sure my body would suit being that weight. The apron got in the way - I'd sweat on my underwear cos of the fold, it'd make the 'flap flap' noise when I ran (and running capris would ultimately try and make a bid for freedom by sliding down) and generally make me look (yup a 'looks' reason!) not as good as I could do.

I've been morbidly obese for the majority of my life - there was no way that skin was going to go back on it's own. Have taken out a rather (eek) large personal loan to finance it and hoping (check up with PS tomorrow - hopefully getting the last drain removed whoopeee!) to have a breast lift mid/late august.

I obviously listed my reasons above; I do have one ultimate goal though to join the british forces. Something I would never have contemplated at my previous weight/condition. I KNOW I'm fit enough etc. Whether or not the sx bars me from joining; we shall see
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
(and running capris would ultimately try and make a bid for freedom by sliding down)
Hahahaha! Yeah, mine do the same thing! It's one of the reasons I generally don't run on the treadmill - aside from sliding workout pants, my boobs bounce too much for comfort. At least on the elliptical I only have to deal with sliding pants!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 AM   #34  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Being 200 and losing 50 isn't the same as being 300 and losing 150 as is I'm sure being 400 and losing 250 or whatever... all of this difference in loss can change ones view of the skin removal issue.

I knew since I was overweight my whole life and obese since high school that I would have skin issues. My weight loss is recent and still in progress so I'm not sure where my body will end up, but the loose skin thing feels a lot different then I thought it might. It's not just an issue of vanity and it's just starting to get bad at this point.

Would I consider it? Yes, I'm considering it. I'm not sure to what extent as I'd had to borrow money, but I will need a few things done. Not sure I have the nerve to do a full body lift even if I need one. Seems very drastic and scarey....I would like the apron removal and under-arms done at the very least but I won't decide until about a year out from near-goal.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 155/150/125

Height: 5ft 6

If i was to get anything done, it would be having my saddlebags removed. No amount of diet and exercise will change those and it really makes buying nice trousers a pain, but i dont think i ever will, even though i dont like them i feel they are a nessisary part of me and my shape (not sure if that makes sense).

Although im not sure you would count it as plastic surgery, something i am most definitely planning on getting done is laser eye surgery. Glasses suit me but bloody **** they are annoying!
Raemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I would never have elective plastic surgery. If I had a medical problem that necessitated it, then maybe.

My reason for this opinion is different then most, although I do have similar thoughts like the others who've said they wouldn't. Unfortunately, my body rejects stitches, especially the dissolvable kind. I've had several moles surgically removed and I have some ugly scars from the internal stitches "working" their way out. For some reason my body refuses to start healing until the stitches have been "pushed" out. It's not pretty and it's incredibly annoying. Somehow, I doubt plastic surgery would work for me, I'd just end up with more scars.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

This was kind of an eye opener for me. When I read plastic surgery my mind instantly thought nose job, eye lift, face lift, etc etc. Which those things I have personally been opposed to.

But when i started reading tummy tucks and breast lifts, I was thinking.....yeah if I had the money I would have that done in a hot minute!! I am sure I will have the belly flap when I have reached goal....my belly hangs that way already. I have large, long saggy breasts...(sorry if that's tmi) I am not looking for perky...I would just like them to stay on the proper side of the equator on their own.

For me the biggest reason I don't is money. I think I could have the breast thing covered by insurance because I do have back problems. I might have to be more vocal with my doc about them and not just accept it as fact of life. Being overweight I have had rash problems under my belly and my breasts too. Maybe I will have to visit doc for these problems rather than use OTC creams and I can get insurance to pay for it.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
This was kind of an eye opener for me. When I read plastic surgery my mind instantly thought nose job, eye lift, face lift, etc etc. Which those things I have personally been opposed to.
You know ... I sometimes feel this way, but I also think, as I get older that I wouldn't mind an eye lift. My eyelids (thanks Dad's side of the family!) are droopy and make me look half asleep or sad ... and it's gotten worse as I get older. I can't say I'd mind fixing that ... or tightening up the "jowls" that my weight loss has left under my chin.

But then again, where do you stop? Honestly my problem is not with any kind of plastic surgery per se,but with the overdone plastic surgery and the mindset that a woman has to look a certain way to be beautiful. But there's a difference to my mind between doing things for yourself and doing them for others.

Quote:
I am not looking for perky...I would just like them to stay on the proper side of the equator on their own.
Haha. I have a friend who says she just doesn't want them to look like flat fried eggs when she lies on her back.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #39  
Meg

"Plastic surgery" does have that connotation of cosmetic surgery to most people, so surgery for excess skin removal is usually referred to as "reconstructive surgery". We really are reconstructing our bodies from the damage done by years of obesity and as many of the posters have noted, it's actually not the least bit "cosmetic" -- that is, done for appearance's sake. Appearance isn't what most of us focus on ... it's functionality and health concerns. Few of us would choose reconstructive surgery in order to appear more beautiful or younger. No, all we want is to try to look and feel normal.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #40  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
You know ... I sometimes feel this way, but I also think, as I get older that I wouldn't mind an eye lift. My eyelids (thanks Dad's side of the family!) are droopy and make me look half asleep or sad ... and it's gotten worse as I get older. I can't say I'd mind fixing that ... or tightening up the "jowls" that my weight loss has left under my chin.

But then again, where do you stop? Honestly my problem is not with any kind of plastic surgery per se,but with the overdone plastic surgery and the mindset that a woman has to look a certain way to be beautiful. But there's a difference to my mind between doing things for yourself and doing them for others.

Haha. I have a friend who says she just doesn't want them to look like flat fried eggs when she lies on her back.

my friend is having an eye lift done for medical purposes. seems droopy eyelids impede your vision and are dangerous. her insurance is covering it.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #41  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I probably would if I had the $$. But it would just be skin removal - which probably means more than a tummy tuck, it would be a lower body lift, and remove the bat wings. The loose skin gets in the way sometimes.

I wouldn't get any boobs, or anything done to my face - ever. I believe in aging gracefully, and that there really isn't any inherent problem with aging. It's what every living thing does! But, to each his/her own.

My sister just had some lipo done on her hips and thighs. She always had some saddlebags, no matter how low her weight was. We were talking the other day, and she kind of feels like she cheated in a way by having the procedure. Even though she didn't do it for weight loss, but for some reshaping. She says now that she wishes she had done it 10 years ago. And she looks great, too!

Last edited by fiberlover; 07-08-2008 at 08:31 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #42  
paulaS

S/C/G: 285/tickler/150

Height: 5 8

Most definatly, I need to lose 100+ and I know I will have lots of extra skin, l love my big boobs DD, and I know that when I meet my goal, my boobs will shrink, I will want implants and and uplift, and don't forget my big thunder thighs, well **** I guess I will need a whole body uplift
paulas
pkend4593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #43  

S/C/G: size 26/size 16/size 12

Height: 5'9"

Default No surgery for me

Just my opinion, but I think our society's pills or surgery solution to everything is a highly dangerous approach to health and wellness. I try to find natural solutions whenever possible. I don't own a scale, but I have dropped from a size 26 to a size 18 with a size twelve as my goal. I brush my skin and massage with a variety of essential oils. I have seen very good results from this. I'm not positive that it's going to give me the bikini bod when I reach my goal (although I am thinking positively on the matter) but I know that my apron is already smaller than it was. Surgery, only to save my life. I'm not downing anyone else's opinions or choices, simply expressing mine
150reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Count me in the "no plastic surgery unless absolutely medically necessary" camp. Last year when I hit 165 after losing 110 pounds, I had lots of extra skin (including the dreaded "apron"). Well, now it's pretty much filled out again because I'm 9 months pregnant (filled out with a baby but also some fat!) So after I give birth and lose the weight again, my body will be even more jacked up. And my breasts will be even droopier (which I can't imagine, since they're already at my knees). All that said, however, as long as I can run and I can fit into some decent clothes, I'm happy. I kind of resigned myself to not looking good naked a long time ago, and I'm perfectly ok with it. If I'm healthy, I honestly don't give a rat's patooty. Maybe I would feel different if I were single -- I'm not sure.

I'll probably never have that much "extra" money, and if I did I can't see choosing to spend it on surgery when I could use it to travel instead. Me with loose skin in Italy or me with tight skin in my living room? Hmm...that's a no-brainer for me.

This is one of those personal decisions I can't really imagine judging anyone else for, though.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, it's been a while since I've posted but I wanted to chime in on this topic. I recently had plastic surgery in March. By no means was it for cosmetic reasons. Last summer I was determined to lose the 50 pounds I've put on over the years and pushed myself a little too hard with the exercise, therefore resulting in a protruding disc in my back, not fun at all! After physical therapy for 2 months it was better but still had lots of pressure. My back surgeon suggested a breast reduction. I was terrified because I had never been put to sleep and I was so afraid I wouldn't wake up. Well that was over 4 months ago and I'm still here lol. I went from a DD to a C and I'm so happy with how they turned out. To make things even better, our insurance paid all but 100 bucks of it. I'm finally able to get my weight loss back on track after so much down time but I know I've got to take it easy this time. I still have about 40 pounds to go and after having 3 kids I'm sure my "flap" won't go away....but in my opinion as much as I would love a tummy tuck, the complications out weigh the benefits. Having been there and seeing the stress and emotional discomfort during healing you go through, I'd rather keep my flap lol
Sorry for the long post, I think I got a little carried away
xJennJennx is offline   Reply With Quote