3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss-219/)
-   -   Changing ring sizes? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/141872-changing-ring-sizes.html)

gracie83 05-08-2008 09:19 AM

Changing ring sizes?

Hi I have a long way to go before my wedding (5 stones to loose :o) I have seen some lovely wedding rings in the sale! (1 year to go) Now when I was my target size many years ago I was a completely different ring size. How much have people lost from their fingers after loosing weight? I am temped to buy the rings a few sizes down - they can always be resized at a later date.

tybeeanna 05-08-2008 09:26 AM

Just remember the wider the band the smaller the size Best wishes

JerseyGyrl 05-08-2008 09:50 AM

I used to wear a size 9 ring...now I wear a size 6:)

Meg 05-08-2008 09:55 AM

I had to have my wedding ring resized, along with bracelets, my watch, and even necklaces that suddenly were too big for my neck. I think it's safe to say that your fingers will lose weight. :)

KforKitty 05-08-2008 10:10 AM

My ring size has hardly changed from when I got married in 1992 (150 ish) to my highest weight at 290lbs. My wedding ring was a little loose when I got it and was tight at my highest weight but not so tight I could not get it off. Now at 210 the fit is perfect. The reason I got it slightly large was I did think I would not maintain the weight I got down to for my wedding. Through the weightlosses and weight gains my ring size has probably only changed a size at the most.

Kitty

ahill1979 05-08-2008 10:28 AM

I started at a size 10 and now wear a 7 1/2. I just had my rings sized because they kept sliding off but I am sure that I will have to have the sized down a little more as I have about 60 lbs left to lose. I say buy what you like and you can always have them sized down later if needed.

pipernoswiper 05-08-2008 11:00 AM

i have quit wearing my wedding ring and engagement ring because they have become so loose, and i'm afraid of losing them. i'm waiting till i get to goal to have them resized. so yes, your fingers will lose weight.
also worth mentioning, i used to retain a lot of water which would make my fingers swell, now i hardly ever have that problem.

fiberlover 05-08-2008 11:34 AM

You will lose weight in your fingers. Make sure that you buy a band that can be resized. Anything that has a design going all the way around or is full of channel set stones can't be resized.

junebug41 05-08-2008 11:35 AM

I went from a ring size 7 to a 4.5 and my fingers have become my best gauge for water retention. I notice immediately.

Boomcha 05-08-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipernoswiper (Post 2191692)
i have quit wearing my wedding ring and engagement ring because they have become so loose, and i'm afraid of losing them.

I think you can buy what's called a ring guard that protects against losing a loose ring without having to get the ring sized. Probably easy to find if you google "ring guard".

kaplods 05-08-2008 12:05 PM

When you resize a ring up, you have to pay for any extra metal they have to add, so it's better to buy your current size and resize down when necessary than it would be to buy it too small and maybe have to have it resized up.

rockinrobin 05-08-2008 12:33 PM

I would hold off if you can. Maybe the gold prices will drop too, an added bonus. They're horrendous now.

I went from a size 8 to a size 5. One of my best NSV's, one I'll never forget, was when my ring actually fell off of my finger.

Like Meg, all my jewelry had to be sized down. Well, except for my earrings, that is. :smug:

nelie 05-08-2008 12:53 PM

My wedding rings fell off my finger, on a plane.

I haven't worn them for quite a while. I wear what I consider a temporary wedding ring ($20 from overstock.com). I am now a size 8 but was a size 12 at my highest weight. My wedding rings were size 9.5. I'd like to lose 50 more lbs before I get them resized.

shrinkingchica 05-08-2008 07:07 PM

I think I went from a 8.5 to a 6 over the course of 140lbs. :)
(If that helps for weight loss to ring size ratio or whatever :lol:).

Pink Geranium 05-08-2008 08:15 PM

I waved at someone and my rings fell off. Great moment! I went from a 6.5 - 7 to a 4 3/4 ( and I must say the larger ones were too small - I could not have taken those rings off if paid to do it. I had a dent in my finger that they had made, with the rest of the finger kind of oozing out around it. I'm glad this is only a memory now). So you can lose weight in your fingers!

I also lost weight in my feet. Had to buy new shoes, 2 pairs of sandals I had in fact could not be tightened enough to work any more.

Necklaces that were too tight fit now. Also I can now wear a cherished bracelet given to me for my high school graduation (32 years ago).
Many interesting surprises along the weight loss path!