Loose skin after weight loss

• Hi everyone. I know this is probably the wrong section of the forums to be asking this, but I have a question pertaining to lose skin I was hoping someone could help me with.

Ok, so I'm a 19 year old male now, and I started dieting when I was about 17. I used to weigh my most at 230 pounds which isn't TOO terribly overweight for someone who's 6'2" tall, but I have huge fears of loose skin for when I finally do rid myself of the little bit of excess fat on my body...which will be there until I get to my goal weight which is 180-175 pounds.

How likely is it that I'll have loose skin once I get to that weight, and is there anything I can do to prevent the loose, hanging skin if it's to be a concern of mine?

Please let me know! I'm nervous! lol. Thanks in advance everyone!
  • I can't imagine you would have too much loose skin considering you're not that overweight to begin with and you're still young so your skin should still be relatively elastic. It may take a few months but I don't think it'll be too bad...
    That being said, there's a few things to consider when trying to avoid loose skin. Hydration is really important. I've also read some stuff that talks about vitamin E creams to try and minimize stretch marks. Also, weight lifting can help the muscle fill out some of the excess skin so it's not as noticeable.

My best advice would be to stay hydrated, lift weights and try not to stress too much about it. There's not a ton you can do if you do have loose skin because it's dependent on your own genetic makeup - collagen and elastin fibers in your connective tissue. I know it's a concern...it's one of mine too. But the most important thing is that you're losing the weight!
  • I am moving your post to the Body Image Issues After Weight Loss forum.

Please see the Skin FAQs thread, also, which should answer most of your questions!
  • Ah, I see. Thank you sooooooo much for the information you've shared with me. Now, off to the store to buy 20 cases of bottled water! Haha, just kidding.

I guess worst case scenario I could always turn to surgery....ughhhhh. But yea, thanks again for the help. You're great!

And thanks to the mod for moving my post. I knew I had it on the wrong forum topic, haha.
  • Quote: Ah, I see. Thank you sooooooo much for the information you've shared with me.

And thanks to the mod for moving my post. I knew I had it on the wrong forum topic, haha.
    *Glad the information is helpful!

*And, yeah, Amanda is good like that!
  • Eh, I was 290 when I gave birth to my first son. When I got back down to 135 I did have a lot of loose skin on my stomach but no where else on my body. I chalk it up to being that big while being pregnant.