3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss-219/)
-   -   Weightloss and vanity - chuckle! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/137030-weightloss-vanity-chuckle.html)

Amarie2pt0 03-14-2008 12:48 PM

Weightloss and vanity - chuckle!

Hi!

I love this forum, and I love, love, love the sticky on skin issues. So very informative.

I laugh at myself because I think losing weight has made me vain as all heck! :lol: But here I feel like its no big deal, and is actually part of the process. Thanks to our fabulous mods for creating such a supportive, informative atmosphere.

Anyway, in the last month I have spent more money on face creams and serums than I have in probably the last 5 years! Its hilarious. Luckliy, the skin on my face is firming up nicely, and the stuff I've been using (and the gallons of water I drink) have been doing wonders to help clear it and improve tone. Now, if only the rest of my body would do the same! :lol:...

I was curious to know if anyone else has had a similar response to weight loss. Anyone else want to own up to an increase in vanity? It just makes me feel good to get it out in the open.

:hugs: all!

Amarie

mandalinn82 03-14-2008 01:13 PM

I did the same thing, but with high end bubble baths. I always took baths, but somehow lately I've decided I'm "worth" higher quality products.

Yummy stuff, too! I am addicted to one particular brand of bath salts, and two different brands of bath "fizzies", including my current favorite, "Chill Pills".

jtammy 03-14-2008 01:24 PM

Oh yeah! For years, I never owned a single bottle of perfume. Now I'm acquiring a small collection.

Also, I don't dare run out of my favorite face cream. Something else I never worried about before I started losing weight. I love it now and my skin has never looked better!

Meg 03-14-2008 01:32 PM

Me too! It's embarrassing to admit, but I get regular manicures and pedicures, color and highlight my hair, wear makeup every day and ... let's not even get started on clothes shopping. :o I even got my varicose veins fixed on my legs and broken veins lasered on my nose once I reached goal.

I never did anything to fix myself up back in the fat days, probably because I just wanted to be invisible. If I dressed in baggy, drab clothes and never did my hair or makeup, well then people would assume that I didn't care how I looked, right? And then maybe they'd overlook the fat part!

But I've noticed something interesting and I wonder if it's ever happened to any of you? If ever I'm having a bad day and really want to binge, I can cut it off by putting on really attractive clothes, makeup, jewelry etc, spraying on some cologne, and fixing my hair. In other words, by focusing positively on my appearance. When I do that, then the need for emotional eating seems to go away. In fact, I can even cut off unplanned eating by going and looking at the small clothes in my closet. How crazy is that? :dizzy:

Oh, and my skin has never looked better either. :carrot:

SCraver 03-14-2008 04:11 PM

I have been giving myself little facials (although the last one I tried burned - so I won't be trying THAT one again). And in a few weeks my sister and I are treating ourselves to a 'sap day'. We are getting a one hour massage, full spa pedi, mani, and the package deal comes w/lunch too!

I think a lot of this has very little to do with being vain, but rather we are finding ways to care for ourselves, emotionally, other than eating! (at least that is what I am telling myself!!) ;)

shrinkingchica 03-14-2008 04:13 PM

Yeah, I am more vain than I used to be-- But I never was vain at all so now I am probably at a "normal" level of vanity. :p
I am in my early twenties and I never as a teenager would wear makeup to go to any effort with clothes because I didn't know where to shop, how to do makeup or anything. So I just was the fat girl in the long sleeved t-shirt, baggy jeans, sneakers, no makeup, glasses and hair in a ponytail. Looking glum. It was the "glum" that really crushed my looks I think, though IMO.
Now, I look happier because I am happier. That with makeup, nicer clothes and shoes and taking time with my tangled hair and putting on contacts makes a world of difference. People literally do not recognize me who haven't seen me for like 3yrs. I'm the new Jan Brady. :lol:

Meg-- I have never tried to or thought of breaking off a binge before it starts with that tactic. I will try it, though. It is some good thinking!!!

Amarie2pt0 03-14-2008 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=shrinkingchica;2100187]Yeah, I am more vain than I used to be-- But I never was vain at all so now I am probably at a "normal" level of vanity. [QUOTE]
:lol: That's it exactly, I think!

Sgirl 03-14-2008 05:24 PM

You know, it's interesting. Looking at so many of you fabulous maintainers and your Before and After pictures, I was thinking "not only are they fit, they are HOT!!!!" Way hotter than many people I know who have been ideal weight their whole lives. I don't know if it is vanity or because we are so used to having to hide our flaws and accentuate our assets more carefully than ideal weight people that when you lose all your weight, you suddenly have so many assets! Like a great behind and legs you can show off. I think also in losing weight we see the true value in taking care of ourselves that we don't just take care of the lbs we take care of everything.

HarpoChicoGroucho 03-16-2008 03:03 PM

A big thing that I started doing was plucking my eyebrows. I NEVER plucked them until I lost over 100 pounds. I also had two pairs of jeans and just enough shirts (some were men's) to get me through the week. I had no skirts or dresses. Now, my walk in closet doesn't hold all of my clothes and my shoe rack doesn't hold all of my shoes. I didn't own a pair of heels, boots, or other cutsie dainty shoes. I'm still not big on dresses, but I have a lot of skirts now. I still don't wear makeup unless I'm getting dressed up. I still haven't got a mani/pedicure, but it's on my list. I try to keep my nails shaped, but I end up not caring and biting them off.

nelie 03-16-2008 04:30 PM

I think I've gone the opposite direction...

I used to get manicures and pedicures more often. I also had a lot more clothes and shoes. I used to spend lots of money on bath and body products. I still spend a fair amount but not as much as I used to. I used to get my eyebrows waxed regularly, now I pluck them myself. I also used to wear makeup more often.

Amarie2pt0 03-18-2008 02:56 PM

Nelie - that is funny! I wish it effected me the opposite. I've had to figure out how to make room for my new "beauty routine" morning and night. I swear, it takes me a half-hour longer to get ready now!
Plus, I can see where this may become an expensive habit. Bubble bath is sounding like a really great alternative to my face-cream addiction... I'm going to have to try that.

mandalinn82 03-18-2008 03:49 PM

It isn't cheap either! At least the stuff I buy...but there is NOTHING like sinking into a hot, beautifully perfumed tub.

I have started coordinating a mug of tea with my bath...for example, a thai lemongrass coconut bath salt with a thai sweet coconut chai tea, or a lemony-mint bubble bath with a lemon tea. So satisfying!

nelie 03-18-2008 04:18 PM

I will say that these days I am forcing myself to lotion up after I shower. I have plenty of them and I really have no excuse not to other than laziness. I like how it makes my skin feel but I have always been a sporadic lotioner.

SugarSpunSister 03-19-2008 06:21 AM

haha so it's not just me then!
I went from about 40 minutes to get ready (including shower time, and I take about a 25 minute shower!) to about an hour and a half (assuming all goes to plan with the outfit which happens about half the time?). I bought a blow dryer, learned how to use mousse and hairspray, I dye my hair and bought a special colour spray for my roots, I style my hair (sometimes even on days when I know I will not be leaving the house!) and wear make-up every day. Even my around-the-house clothing is nicer, cleaner, sleeker, and makes me feel good. I don't want to ever feel like a 'fat slob' I like I used to. And do NOT even get me started on clothing!
I agree, I think me and my mom (who also lost weight) care way more about our appearance than your average person, partially because we are excited to show it off and because we know the value of it. I love what you said about accentuating assets and good parts too, that is SO true. I had to learn how to make my waist look small when it wasn't (to detract from my hips!), so now it looks freakin' miniature!
As for vanity, oh my. I was vain before I lost the weight (alternately very vain and extremely self loathing), and have always loved clothing and dressing up (although I've got a heck of a lot more options now, and have taken it to the level of an artform if I dare say), so my vanity is pretty much off the charts now. Of course, I am still not as thin as I would like to be, and the loose skin definitely helps keep my inflated head in check.

Amarie2pt0 03-19-2008 06:32 PM

Miss Mandalinn - would you mind sharing some of your favorite bubble bath brands? Your comment about pairing tea and a bath has me staring longingly at my tub!