Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 5

Default dry, weird skin

I haven't updated my sig but I've lost 15 pounds so far. The problem? I have what appears to be mini stretch marks or something? They aren't red or large, but rather they look like just a row of small lines with dry skin around them. I have them on my arms, legs, and back.

Do you think this is a precursor to a stretch mark? Or just my skin adjusting to the new shape of my body? Will they be permanent and is there anything I can do to make them go away? Any advice is appreciated!
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #2  
Meg

Congratulations on the 15 pounds!

I'm having a hard time picturing what yor're describing but it sounds like a good place to start would be moisturizing. I have dry skin and it starts looking like alligator skin or like dried up patches of mud (I know my descriptions are terrible! ) So I moisturize like crazy whenever I dry off from my shower.

Another thing to look at might be your fat consumption. When we go on diets, sometimes we cut back on fats too much and our skin shows it. We need good fats (like salmon, avocados, olive oil, nuts etc) for nice skin and proper utilization of fat soluble vitamins. Most healthy eating plans recommend between 20 and 30% of your calories coming from good fats. It might be something to check?

If it's baby stretch marks, I've read that a dermatologist can treat them as long as they're still red and not yet faded to silver. If your fats are OK and you're moisturizing like crazy and you're still having problems, that should probably be your next stop.

Anyone have other ideas?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #3  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on the 15lbs.
I don't know if you've had kids? And I know everyone is different, but I haven't had kids and I have stretch marks on my tummy still from 25lbs ago. They aren't red either. They're just lighter and they've been there for years now. I used to hate them but that got me nowhere. I agree with Meg though. You'd be well advised to moisturize. Hahaha. A rhyme.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote