the dreaded belly 'apron'

• how do you get rid of it. i just started and have a ton left to lose, i clearly have that hanging belly syndrome....i want to get rid of it as much as i can. obviously i still have weight to lose and need to do cardio to get that off, but i want to do the most effective exercises to get rid of that belly hang as much as i possibly can. not looking for miracles, and surgery is not an option for me, so i need to work off as much as I can.
    any advice?
    thanx
    tracyg
  • pilates helps me keep that away , its quite a hard place to tone because its right in you lower abs
    pilates didnt work for a lot of people i know though moisturising is a must it helps the skin to spring!
  • Not much you can do for a lower "belly hang" (a pannus) besides diet (and exercise for overall weight loss) and hope that the fat is lost from that area.

There is nothing you can do for excess skin. Sometimes it will retract but usually not once it has developed into a pannus. So, while you *might* be left with a little extra hang there, with less fat to fill it out you will be in much better shape!
  • To strenghten my lower abs, I do lots of crunches and reverse curls.

To do a crunch, I lie on my back with my knees bent and my hands on my shoulders or supporting my neck. I then use my lower abs to lift my shoulders off the mat to about a 40 degree angle.

To do a reverse curl, I lie on my back with my legs straight up in the air and my hands flat along side my body. I raise my hips up to the air about 2 inches.

I do as many as I can. You can do them in sets of repeatitions if you like.