The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #16  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

WooHoo! I'm not right very often so if you don't mind I'm gonna do a little happy dance
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #17  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Nice recap, christineu!!! Been annoyed by Caroline much lately? Gary's blog is up, BTW!

Sorry to see Dr. Jeff go....but that's the game....he seems to have learned what he needed in the time on the ranch he had. He looks so much younger.

I can decide who I want to win anymore....I was thinking Andrea...I admire her drive with the steps challange as well as last night...but the brownies right before a weigh in? Come on....I imagined her looking a the wine glass her husband handed her and thinking how many calories in a glass of wine? Maybe she had a couple glasses and lost her edge. Stuff happens....I'm not really envisioning either of the women winning the whole thing...

We shall see....
Old 11-17-2005, 12:42 AM   #18  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

great recap - i am halfway through but just had to say . . .

bloody matt! all he needs is a tiara - drama queen

we are about 2 weeks behind over here - the tv station keeps changing dates and times and then skips TBL for two weeks. I mean OMG!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #19  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
bloody matt! all he needs is a tiara - drama queen

:

He gives women everywhere a bad name!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
....I was thinking Andrea...I admire her drive with the steps challange as well as last night...but the brownies right before a weigh in? Come on....I imagined her looking a the wine glass her husband handed her and thinking how many calories in a glass of wine? Maybe she had a couple glasses and lost her edge.....
I think she actually ate the brownies after the weight in from what I gathered. The clip of her eating them was at the Ranch, not the hotel- I think it was a case of being drawn to comfort food when she realized she had screwed up with the 2#'s and might end up going home. You do have to wonder if the night with her hubby impacted her weigh in...guess we just have to assume that, as Suzzane says in her interview on the BL site, that sex burns lots of calories to make up for that wine I still think that entire prize was kind of corny the way they handled it- it must have been that not everyone had a family member who could have surprized them or they would have told them about it ahead of time. From what I saw, it looked like she went there that night imediately after the challenge and went back fairly early the next day for the Last Chance Workout & the weigh in. I mean, couldn't they at least spring for a spa visit or something? She was definately beeming at the start of the weigh in, so her night away did her some good.

It is frustrating that Dr Jeff lost- I mean, we all knew that eventually he was going to hit a plautue- you can't keep losing at that rate for ever..even people who have WLS have periods were their bodies have to slow the weight loss & adjust. It seems like they need to come up with a score of of some sort that takes into account the current weeks weight loss & their overall weight loss or something. Week to week just doesn't tell the whole story...plus, we all know that us women have the effect of constantly changing hormones on our weight that the guys don't have to worry about. The week to week allows people like Matt to manipulate the process with his 12 pound weight gain when he was immune. When I was rewatching the very first episode, Matt lost 28 pounds the first week (I guess it was actually 10 days from what I've read). How much you want to bet he made sure he came in on a high weight that he knew he could quickly drop, just like he did for wrestleing? If they could somehow come up with something that combines current weight loss/percentage lost with how much they lost over all then one slow week wouldn't jeopardize someone as much as it does. I wonder how it would work if when they were still in teams if the two people who lost the least were the ones up for elemination then even then it would be the ones who are not doing their best who would be elemenated instead of who is isn't getting along.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #21  
Determined

[QUOTE=chick_in_the_hat]Nice recap, christineu!!! Been annoyed by Caroline much lately?

Yes, I think her boobs should get separate billing. During the last episode my son was like "mommy, why is she naked?"
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #22  
Empress/Queen

Who is Carolyn?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #23  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Caroline Rhea is the host.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #24  

Wow, I'm glad to hear that there are others that think Caroline needs a different wardrobe department.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #25  

My 79 year old mother couldn't understand the shrug thing she was wearing a few weeks back. She asked me why they couldn't find a sweater to fit her better- lol.

The sad thing is that I actually like Caroline. I know the host of these reality shows are suppose to be telling us what is happening- but do they have to do it when its soooooooooo obvious? Do they think we're stupid or something? And the echoing of Andrea's statement about having a little power...she sounds like my counseling students when they get a little carried away with 'reflecting' what the person says & not really, truely listening. Sometimes I have to wonder about the editing too- that whole clip of Suzie saying the Last Chance Workout was so important because it was 'the last chance'....get real...that was a wasted 10 seconds- and its not that I don't like Suzie- I'd like to see her win now that Dr Jeff is out of the running.

I really wish they would show more what the contestants are doing to lose weight- maybe they could borrow the "How'd they do that" idea from Extreme Makeovers: Home Edition. I know I would watch it in a heart beat- think what we could learn from it. But no, they would rather make money off their BL Club....
Old 11-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #26  
Pending Email Confirmation

LMAO I love that, why is she naked mommy? hehe. My hubby's comment was - so, when is SHE going to be a contenstant? So mean... but a little bit truthful too.

I would definately watch a show on how they did it too... like specifically how long they worked out each day, what their calories were reduced to, because I get this feeling they work out like hours upon hours, and i wonder are they really only taking in 1600 calories, because it seems like they would need more input than that just to keep them going...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #27  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, in the last few years, Caroline Rhea has gained quite a bit of weight. She used to be in the series..."Sabrina the teenage witch" and then she took over for Rosie O'Donnell show. Truth be told, she doesn't come across very well as the host of TBL. I think she needs to lose some weight also. And enough of the shrugs!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #28  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I think Caroline does fine as the host. Granted, she needs a stylist to help with wardrobe for the show, but I think she does just fine as the host! Granted, she may not be as thin as she was in 2000 (see link), but she is still very pretty--AND a great comedian as well! I loved her in Sabrina.
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id...=38106&intl=us
Old 11-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #29  
Pending Email Confirmation

it's not so much that i don't like her or think she's doing a bad job as host or anything... i think the things they make her say just are akward and feel forced... like she doesn't really want to be there, or be saying what they want her to or something.
and as already noted, they could give her some better clothes to wear while they are at it. as for the weight thing... just seems ironic to have a show promoting weightloss where the host is overweight.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #30  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Thats it EXACTLY!!! It seems like she is script reading BIGTIME. I've seen her many times on talk shows and she's very at ease in front of the tv camera and her stand up act is very funny. Just my 2 cents worth.....