The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #1471  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Wow. Sirak have fun camping no matter what the circumstance.

I don't know how to tell you this. While I was away the ice maker on my fridge burst and flooded my house, my basement, and all the prints I have been making for my show this summer. All ruined. Also soaking wet were all my negatives - 23 yrs. worth. DD and her BF & I worked 11 hours straight washing and drying them. I was able to save them all. The kitchen and dining room of my house are being ripped out, the floor anyway, part of the wall and insulation, my cabinets might go tomorrow. Washer and dryer. Tomorrow is the first day of work. I will not be going in until a week from Sunday though when I meet an artist bringing work to the gallery.

I'm going to be okay. I went into the basement and screamed and carried on and cried for a while and then...well, what are you going to do?

Diet, not too bad, no exercise and no rest. I am going to work on that though. The rest part.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #1472  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Holy crap - big happenings over here.

Ledom - so sorry about the flood ruining all your hard work (not to mention most of your newly refurbished house)!!! That's just terrible.

sirak - hope you and the kids are having fun camping...it's DH's loss for leaving someone with such a good attitude. BTW - I tilapia!!

Cindy - congrats on the new job! Try not to stress too much over the wedding...

mariposita - Welcome!

As for me - I just got back from a week in Mexico hanging out with the inlaws. It was mellow and relaxing, a complete break from working out...not so amazingly I put a couple of pounds on... This week is back to reality. The weather is nice so I've been putting a lot of bicycle time in...today is a rest day.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #1473  
Lovin' Zumba!

OMG - Ledom - so sorry to hear about your flood! I can't even imagine how I would have reacted! So glad you were able to salvage your negatives! My thoughts are with you as you have to deal with all of this.

Sirak - you are in my thoughts as well - enjoy your weekend.

Chick - welcome back - glad you had a relaxing time in Mexico.

Welcome to all newbies!

This weekend will be program assembly - last night I printed them, folded them and trimmed them, later today will be hole-punching and ribbon tying. Also will be tying ribbon bows on my favor boxes - at least 50 of them - the rest will wait until I have my final count - no sense doing more than I need!

Making myself crazy with all the details, but I am having fun with it - I actually love being creative, and rarely do it anymore.

I'm off to camp with all my supplies - you gals have a great one!
Cindy
Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #1474  
Chick

Thanks everyone. My kitchen has been dismantled. Floors ripped out and house in chaos. BUT, having spent the week looking at my ruined work I begin to see it more clearly. It looks different but I don't think it is lost. I think most pieces may be even better. Hard to explain - the technique I was using is cyanotype which is a blue print. The work has a distressed, aged look now which - I can hardly believe it - but is maybe better. I just had to learn to see it. I called over another artist today to see if I was on to something or just wishing it. She agreed with me. It has helped my feelings immensely. I need to fill in a few blank spots but I believe it's going to work out after all.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #1475  
Chick

Me again. No sink, no stove, no countertops. I have a microwave and a refrigerator. Also a camp stove. Sirak, I am going to be calling forth the example of your determination for the next couple of weeks.

Gina glad you finally got your trip to Mexico. Happy to hear the weather is great. We have had triple digits for the last week. Not fun.

Cindy, your wedding preparations sounds like so much fun. Good to hear how you are enjoying your creative projects. It is a part of your joyful occasion. Sometimes I think a job where you can't spend too much playing on the computer is a good thing. I have been guilty of wasting too much time web surfing. Due to circumstances I have not had that opportunity and you know what, I want to keep it that way. Too many other things to do actually living my life. But this place is dear - I love you guys.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #1476  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

This is just a drive-by check-in, guys. I am on day 20 of MTC. Rest day, thank goodness, but I am muscle-tired in a good way! I only did a walk today and boxed a bunch of books for a garage sale in a couple of weeks. I've been indulging in all kinds of food goodies (yes, chocolate was part of it all) since Thursday, when we went to the county fair, but am working on menus for the next couple of days this evening and will be shopping early tomorrow morning. Then it's time to. Exercise is never my downfall, it's all about what I put in my mouth.

Ledom--What a great attitude you have in the face of disaster! Good luck with the show preps and adapting to your deficient kitchen.

Cindy--Your wedding preps do indeed sound fun!

Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 AM   #1477  

S/C/G: 150/145/110

Height: 5'2

i jogged 2 miles today as well as doing some strength training.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #1478  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi everyone!

Ledom - so glad you've been able to turn your disaster into a new photographic technique! Now what happens if someone want you to reproduce it?

I'm in a weird place with exercise - making excuses because I'm staying up too late doing wedding stuff - mostly online stuff, and then I don't want to get up early in the am.

I had promised myself a round of MTC before the wedding, and that really needs to start next week if I'm doing it. But, does it make sense to do this when I've not been doing much of anything for the past 2 weeks?

I'll take the book to camp this weekend and will try to get myself motivated to take it on.

I actually cooked a real meal last night for the first time in ages - meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn. Yummy and filling. Then I wasn't tempted to snack the rest of the evening. Guess I should cook more often! :wink:
Cindy
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #1479  
Chick

Yeah Cindy - your the chemist, you need to come help me out with this. Actually, as a non-chemist, it has been an interesting problem trying to figure out what happened with thoughts on how I can recreate the same effects. I do have some ideas and am looking forward to playing around with them. WHEN my house is put back together. In the meantime, this is one of a kind art I am doing.

Bless my contractors soul - I was whining about the loss of my kitchen and he set my stove and sink back up for me. I'll have to take pictures and send them to you. Stove is on concrete blocks and the sink looks like something out of the great depression.

I will be getting new kitchen cabinets though. I ordered them yesterday and they'll be here in 4 weeks. Not the way you want to remodel as I picked out and planned everything in 3 hrs. yesterday. Since everything is gutted I am going to have an island put in. It'll be really nice when it is all finished.

One of my projects today is to clear out my workout area. When I first discovered all the water that was one of the dry spots and a bunch of stuff got piled into that area.

Girls, I am exhausted. I have had very little sleep and despite my best intentions my diet is going to pot. DD has been here helping me and she has been a terrible influence. I have got to get her out of the house! Or, get some rest and set things up so I am not so vulnerable to the pizza/burger impulse.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #1480  

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

I took off some of the pounds gained over vacation...my attitude finally clicked back into time to lose mode. I've had a good week.

ledom - take care of yourself - so many things going on in your life right now!

You too, Cindy!

shygrly!!

mariposita - exercise has never been my downfall either...food is

sirak - how ya doing?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #1481  
Dieting Diva

I have been hanging in there lately. Food is doing better. For a while I just didn't eat much- but I am doing turkey burgers, grilled chicken this week and some baked tilapia. DD21 will be moving back in a couple of weeks as her BF is moving to Austin. She is convinced her purpose in life is to figure out my wardrobe.DH comes around a couple times a week to work on his Ebay stuff- it's a rather weird thing. I don't know where he is living. He just comes by.He is still paying the bills.
School starts on Monday and I am thinking I need to also do MTC. I don't have a wedding, but my weight is low enough I should be able to do most of the stuff without much trouble. It's like what I said before. I am getting myself ready for the next part of my life.Technically I am now within the normal range of BMI- but I am still carrying some really ugly fatty areas so I need to tone up and buff up a bit more.It's not been a bad summer- I think I totaled ten inches since the eighth of May. I put on a size 8 pair of jeans the other day.
Ledom, I am sorry about the house- but really the photo stuff sounds interesting.What does not kill us makes us stronger and this might be the path you never knew about.
Are you ready to rock Cindy ? I'm going to try to read a bit and get in my head about the first week of MTC. Other than brushing horses, mucking manure and mowing the yard it's been a really slow month- but I need to get my head into something again. It's a healthy distraction.
Ride Gina Ride !
Welcome everyone else !
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #1482  
Chick

Just a quick post from work here.

Life continues to give me lemons. Over the weekend I had to admit my mother to the hospital for some really scary episodes of being out of her head. She is much better now but still in the hospital for tests.

My boss of the last 12 years who has taken care of me and nurtured me and been my biggest advocate has decided to take the early retirement our university is offering as well as another long time professor in our department. It has thrown our little department into chaos. It is a scary time, not knowing how such a wonderful job will turn out under new direction.

And the house, oh the house. Everything in boxes, strange people running around and making loud noises. I have never craved healthy food so much in my life since I have lost the ability to get it easily. Also, little to no exercise. I think this is one of the times I just have to let things go a little. I know shortly things will improve. But right now everyting sucks.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #1483  
Lovin' Zumba!

Wow, sirak - size 8! I'm so jealous of your progress!

I didn't start MTC this week, but the book is on my desk and I'll be reading it the rest of this lunch hour. My time is severly contrained by this new job!

My scale is starting to creep up a bit, so I really need to turn that ship around - if I don't start MTC Monday, it will be Tuesday for sure!

Ledom - glad to hear your Mom is better, but sorry you had to go through that. I hear you about change - it can be such a scary thing! We are going through a company sale right now, effective tomorrow, so I know just how you feel.

How soon before the house will be back to "normal"?
Cindy
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #1484  
Chick

Arghhhh - the cabinets come in the 3rd week of Sept. Not for a while. There is not one area of my life that has not been turned upside down it feels. Hopefully I will meet my challenges and carry the day in the end. Dr. is recommending my Mom move into assisted living. She doesn't know yet - that is the coming weeks hurdle. I am actually losing a bit of weight. At my summer low, maybe not having a kitchen isn't so bad after all. Unfortunately, this not the way I would recommend losing weight.

Go Sirak go!

How are the wedding plans coming along Cindy?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #1485  

ledom - sweetie! Geez, girl! I wish there was something helpful I could say. Oh yeah...YOU'RE LOSING WEIGHT...a small victory among many stressful things going on. More hugs for you It's gotta get better!!

Sirak - has DD21 got you all hooked up wardrobe-wise? Congrats on all the inches lost!! You RAWK those size 8's I'm sure!

Cindy - you must be getting so excited - the wedding is getting closer. So exciting (well, and prolly exausting)!

Things are pretty quiet here - trying to keep cool. It has been over 100 for like 4 days now. The nifty news is that my favorite Women's gym moved - and the new building is really great!! It has separate rooms for the bikes and classes - before we were in a strip mall. It's all shiny and pretty, too. Gotta run - hope everyone has a nice Labor Day weekend.