3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing-184/)
-   -   Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing/67661-jillians-girls-exercise-journal.html)

chick_in_the_hat 01-05-2006 11:42 PM

YAY KATHYHEGG!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledom
Today, the one legged squats! I liked that. It was hard, but doable and I am enjoying the balance aspect. Very yogic. The 1 minute sumos. Lordy, the first one I can hold about 50 sec., before the ciricuit is over I am doing 4 15 sec. ones but I know I am building endurance on this one.

Holy crap, girl - I'm impressed...I can't hold them more than like 15 seconds...I usually start falling over.

I did the same workout today - I need a lot more practice on the balance stuff. I am really liking step plyos now - except for that I'm really noisy...:o

Oh well - the gym is full these days - I've taken to getting to work early to get to the gym by 4. That seems to work. I'm not a morning person - but I can manage a half an hour earlier...

How long does it take for the New Years Resolution types to burn out? :devil: Actually they are mostly just taking all the cardio machines - and filling up the classes...not to many extra people in the free weight zones...:D

kathyhegg 01-06-2006 06:38 AM

I am so sore today, I spent half of it in bed, does the pain ever go away?

Being very negative here, but I felt horrid all day after that work out. Is it worth doing while I'm so unfit and full of fat? Or should I work on the cardio for a while.

Kathy

ledom 01-06-2006 07:34 AM

Oh Kathy, I'd stick with it. You might find ways to lower the intensity a bit and still get everything possible out of it. I am 52 and have some concerns about some of the high impact stuff and have found ways around it while maintaining elevated heart rate. When I first started I was especially concerned about my knees. Not just the jumping around, but all the squats and lunges. Know what? My knees have gotten so much stronger! Do I still get sore? You know, I missed a week and when I went back I got sore again but for the most part I have moved through that. For muscle soreness you might try taking glucosimine. It really works. Soreness will prevail for a couple weeks but you eventually move away from it being a bad sort of thing. You begin to almost crave that soreness because it means you are building those muscles.

As I have moved to almost 11 weeks of this workout I can honestly say it has not always been easy. It sometimes takes me 1 hr. 15 min., sometimes it just feels too hard and sometimes I just resent the time. It is getting better for me though. This week I have actually been looking forward to the workouts because of how they make me feel.

If you haven't already you should go back and read through the ask Jillian thread. She admits that even she hates to work out. Sometimes it is just a pain in the a$$, literally and figuratively, but the rewards are many if you stay the course.

You ask if it is worth it while you are still fat. I have been working out for a long time and this is the best fat blasting routine I have ever done. You bet it is worth it.

kathyhegg 01-06-2006 07:42 AM

Thanks Ledom, i appreciate the encouraging words. i'll try again tomorrow, this time with smaller weights.

SmartButt 01-06-2006 10:20 AM

Kathy - Look at it this way, all that pain means your muscles are building! I get very sore after workouts too (after the jumping jacks with weight raises I can barely straighten my arms out the next day) but I look at it like an ACCOMPLISHED soreness. It isn't that you are sore because you sat in one place too long - you are sore because you kicked some serious ***! Let that soreness make you feel proud and walk (or limp) a little taller knowing how hard you pushed yourself! :carrot:

ledom 01-06-2006 11:01 AM

OMG, that Jillian ain't a kiddin around. Watch out for Week 10/Day 4 and plan to stay a little longer at the gym!

angel-eyes 01-06-2006 03:12 PM

hehe....I'll take your word for it!! :D

I didn't get much sleep last night so I just did some hand weights, situps and then my 40 min treadmill. Didn't have the energy really, but I pushed myself. I should be re-starting week 7 on MOnday. woohooo

Curves4Life 01-06-2006 05:27 PM

Hey Ladies,

I want to buy Jillian's workout videos but I am not sure which one will be best for me. What do you all have and which has worked best?

I want to but some extra time in on shaping my upper body (arms, stomach and back). I work out 3x a week at Curves and the other 3 days I run the treadmill or taebo. I want to mix it up a little.

Any suggestions?

14 by February 14 Challenge
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tra...6/210/225/.png

Ultimate Goal Tracker by May 2006
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tra...6/185/225/.png

chick_in_the_hat 01-07-2006 01:51 AM

Welcome curvesforlife!!

I haven't checked out the DVD's yet - but a buncha gals here have. Here is a thread where they talked about it. Jillian's DVD's are based on front (chest, quads, shoulders, triceps and abs) and back (glutes, back, biceps, hamstrings and obliques). She has you do the front on one day and the back the next with a rest day after. That way you get 4 days a week of weight training with time in between for your muscles to recover. (An extra day of cardio is added in to make it a 7 day plan.

I just did Friday of Week 10 - it kicked my butt....especially when I got to the gym and found out I forgot the bottom half of my outfit...I tried to do my workouts in jeans...needless to say it wasn't a great idea. But there were no blowouts! :o Cardio tomorrow and then I think I'm going to skip the rest day to attempt to get my old schedule back.

ledom 01-07-2006 11:23 AM

Gina - I was anxious to hear what you thought about that last workout. Kick your butt is right. 3 sets of 50 pelvic thrusts left me feeling like I had lost at least 3 inches off my butt. Soreness inducing. I'm going to hike for cardio today. I will be taking my rest day, good luck getting back on schedule. A week from Monday my life changes when I go back to work. This week will be spent visualizing getting up, getting around to get the workout in, before my commute. I can do this. I can do this. I know I'll whine, but I can do it. P.S. Just a note to say that I am back down to my ticker weight. Hopefully by next week I can start shoving that bottom ticker to the right. And for that I think I deserve a :carrot: !

NavyNerd 01-07-2006 12:34 PM

Best workout ever!

OK so maybe not THE best, but i just came back from the gym and i felt like i could have stayed ages longer! (Did Friday of week 5) I attempted it yesterday, when it actually was Friday but my heart just wasn't in it and i felt sick so i gave up...

But today i don't know why but i felt so much more energized and willing to give it my all! I'm going to give myself a carrot too! :carrot:

chick_in_the_hat 01-07-2006 12:51 PM

I think ledom and navynerd deserve carrots and bananas!!!!

:cb: :carrot::cb: :carrot::cb: :carrot::cb: :carrot::cb: :carrot::cb: :carrot:

I think my butt is broken today....was it just yesterday I told someone the soreness goes away? Stupid jeans....never again. I should have just gone home to get my workout pants but it was rush hour and by the time I got back it would have been too late. Ah well...goood excuse to go shopping for a spare pair of pants to always keep in the gym bag. :D

NavyNerd 01-07-2006 01:03 PM

Lmao!

Going to the gym in jeans! ha! Yes the pain will subside :hug: , but for the moment i just can't stop laughing at visualizing going to the gym in jeans. I'm picturing myself doing it in my head now, cracking myself up laughing!

*Tight 1980s stonewash jeans...with rainbow coloured leg warmers...* :lol:

happydaisy 01-07-2006 01:13 PM

3 mile walk today. You guys are all doing so great!! I just signed up for the discovery body challenge which includes 8 weeks free at Bally's, so it will be interesting to see how the exercises feel on the machines. Body challenge starts Jan. 11, so till then I'll just keep modifying at home. Are you telling me tight 80's jeans and legwarmers aren't "in" anymore? Crap.... :lol:

happydaisy 01-07-2006 01:13 PM

Gina - the first day of my Jillian workouts all my sports bras were in the washer so I attempted in a normal bra. Let me just say, never again. It was a painful experience.. :smug:

chick_in_the_hat 01-07-2006 01:17 PM

Hey - no leg warmers, please....not even in the eighties....(I did sport a purple mohawk back then tho :o )

Yay - happydaisy - sounds like you are feeling better. :carrot:

angel-eyes 01-07-2006 01:46 PM

Morning!!.....I'm so dissappointed in the 'no legwarmers rule' :lol: Yesterday was a really good day for working out. I went and did an a typical week 4 workout....(getting really good at just improvising) and then did a 35 minute run on the treadmill. Last night I went downhill skiing for the first time and re-discovered all my muscles AGAIN!!! Even though it was on the bunny hill....the rope pull to the top inspired my biceps and deltoids. The skiing worked my core muscles and legs to a bone weary sensation....good but tiring. I got in almost 4 hours of skiing and quite the workout. :carrot:

ledom 01-07-2006 01:57 PM

Love it! Love the enthusiasm here! angel-eyes, I think the biggest thrill is how these workouts translate into strength when it comes to sports for fun. That is when the real value asserts itself for me. I am just able to do so much more, so much better. Finished my hike and it was great - I explored the trails around here a little more to include more steep incline than my usual path. I came out at an hr. and 10 min. and it was just groovy.

angel-eyes 01-07-2006 08:14 PM

ledom.....you are so right!!! Dh and I were talking about the 'thrill' of last night and he said my smile at the accomplishment of skiing was priceless. And then to have the stamina and muscle strength to have fun and ski. I was on top of the world. Today, I headed out for a gorgeous walk and took the opportunity while walking (music blaring) to be proud of just how far I had come!!! I CAN FEEL THE POWER!!!

chick_in_the_hat 01-07-2006 08:36 PM

That is so cool!!! Infectious enthusiasm!!! :cb:

I did my cardio today - tackling day 1 of week 11 tomorrow...

Also took the dog for a walk by the river - it's really high right now!! High and muddy...but what a beautiful day! Sunny and about 65 degrees. *Sorry to all the people in ugly weather today*

After ledoms "groovy" comment I felt compelled to blast some Grateful Dead out the open sunroof on the way to the gym... :devil:

caroldiem 01-08-2006 12:23 AM

Hey guys
I'm in the process of learning Jillians week 1 & 2 workouts, man they are tough i can't even do a squat because i have no flexibility and my muscles are so tight.Anyway just want some advice do you guys do extra cardio after Jillians circuit training?

Thanks guys

kathyhegg 01-08-2006 07:08 AM

Starting over with Jillians Week 1 Day 1 tomorrow, working with lighter weights. Just wondering how fast everyone works when doing the workouts. I worked pretty fast the other day, but was so buggered at the end I could barely move for 2 days. I really want to do this and do it correctly for maximum fat loss.

Kathy

NavyNerd 01-08-2006 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroldiem
Hey guys
I'm in the process of learning Jillians week 1 & 2 workouts, man they are tough i can't even do a squat because i have no flexibility and my muscles are so tight.Anyway just want some advice do you guys do extra cardio after Jillians circuit training?

Thanks guys

Just start out doing what you can do. Push yourself as far as you can go each workout and im sure you will notice a change in your abilities given time and work. When I first started I felt like an epileptic seal sometimes!

If i have the energy I like to do cardio after i have finished my Jillian workout, and on my supposed days 'off' I often do cardio then also. If standard cardio machines bore you, get outside, walk, jog, or my favourite...Hike! Keep it interesting so you don't bore yourself into a coma!

ledom 01-08-2006 10:23 AM

extra cardio after workouts: no, not right after the workouts - I workout in the a.m. and about half the time I do a 1 mile evening walk at a brisk pace

how hard to push: well, as hard as you can really. I have heard others here say they imagine Jillian being in the room egging them on. I do that too sometimes. I do drink water, sometimes study an exercise for form or just generally catch my breath when I feel I really need too. Somewhere that you feel comfortable but at the same time always pushing just a little harder than you'd like.

shaunarae2 01-08-2006 11:39 AM

I only do extra cardio on circuit days if I finish before 60 minutes. Then I get on the treadmill and complete enough minutes to make 60. I've been having a hard time making my workouts last 60 minutes I've finished as quickly as 35 minutes. I tried to concentrate more on my form yesterday and added 5-10 minutes, but still had to get on the treadmill.

Shauna

SmartButt 01-08-2006 12:45 PM

Breakin' out Jillian's book...

Carol - if you feel afraid that your heart rate may be skyrocketing out of control, you may want to invest in a heartrate monitor. Also, for beginners, Jillian recommends that you don't find yourself out of breath in the first 2 weeks of starting any exercise routine. So if you can't even speak because you're huffing and puffing so bad, then I'd take it down a notch. You should definitely be pushing yourself but you don't want to overdo it right at first, either. Check out page 153 to read about this and your heart rate maximum/target.

Squats are definitely hard, if you're having problems with them, either don't squat down "as far" as she suggests, or you can rest your back against a wall as she shows on page 162. That one helps me for when she wants you to hold a squat for an extended period of time. Gradually you should be able to work up to doing a "real" squat if you build up. :jig:

chick_in_the_hat 01-08-2006 03:09 PM

Cue laughter now, please

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunarae2
I only do extra cardio on circuit days if I finish before 60 minutes. Then I get on the treadmill and complete enough minutes to make 60. I've been having a hard time making my workouts last 60 minutes I've finished as quickly as 35 minutes. I tried to concentrate more on my form yesterday and added 5-10 minutes, but still had to get on the treadmill.
Shauna

Me,too...but I prefer ellyptical to dreadmill.

Alright chickies....today was day one of week 11. Jumping sumo squats....BWAAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHAAAHHAAAA. Yeah right, Jillian. Not bloody likely. Not without a major head injury. [/rant] I figured it was a good chance to continue practicing regular sumo squats - they are still a challenge. I did like the jumping squats, tho. I think I scared the chick near me when I popped up...:devil: oops....she moved away....:dunno:

Hang in there caroldiem and kathyhegg....you will be so proud of yourself!!! And you will see yourself getting better at it, soon. Smartbutt is right - A heart rate monitor is quite useful, IMO. In the meantime take it down a notch if it gets too heavy duty.

shaunarae2 01-08-2006 05:05 PM

Gina- OMG about the jumping sumo squats. They are hard enough by themselves. :devil: You are doing so great! I like to read your posts to know what is coming ahead. I begin week 3 day 1 on Tuesday and I'm a bit scared. Things are looking harder and I'm still sore! I did step aerobics today for 62 minutes for my cardio day. I'm so happy tomorrow is a rest day. Things are working. I've lost 5 lbs. in 13 days and my body is starting to tone up. My clothes are not tight any more! :carrot:

ledom 01-08-2006 05:10 PM

shaunarae that is fantastic :carrot:

OMG Gina, not sure I am ready. I am so bummed, woke up sick w/ runny nose and sore throat. It is rest day and I have been doctoring and resting in bed all day. Such a wimp when I get sick. I am most upset that I may not get to exercise tomorrow. Is this torture addicting, or what?

SmartButt 01-08-2006 05:28 PM

hahahaha Chick.. I'm just picturing someone looking at you and scootching away when you're doing the jumping sumo squats. Too funny! They're probably like "what the..."

Thank god she doesn't have THOSE in her videos. I think I'd be in the hospital!

caroldiem 01-09-2006 04:52 AM

Hey Guys

WOW Thanks for all the advice guys i really appreciate it. I started today i did Day 1 Week 1 of Jillians circuit training. It was tough, I couldn't finish teh last circuit i only got half way.There was no way i was going on the treadmill, after that :)

Now i'm learning Day 2

Not lookign forward to the jumping sumo squats :(

Take care guys and have a great workout

chick_in_the_hat 01-09-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartButt
hahahaha Chick.. I'm just picturing someone looking at you and scootching away when you're doing the jumping sumo squats. Too funny! They're probably like "what the..."

I get a lot of that look - from the chicks that do their weight training the regular way....lots of rest between sets. I'm always running around like a maniac trying to keep my heart rate up. Other than the fact that we would all be running each other over it would be fun to work out with others trying to do the same circuits.

caroldiem - :cb: for you!! Don't freak - anything I don't feel comfortable doing I modify - the point is that you are doing it...

WTG shaunarae!!! :carrot:

ledom - hope you are feeling better!!!!

Smartbutt...DVD's getting easier yet? :D

SmartButt 01-09-2006 10:03 PM

I've actually decided to make my own version of a fitness plan, based on what I've learned from Jillian's books, and based on my own physical shape. It's been sad for me to have to accept that I am very out of shape. When I try to even lightly jog, the extra weight on me immediately makes my ankles, knees and shins hurt...badly. No matter how much I do or don't stretch before, or partway in (i've tried it all), I get horrible pains in my lower joints. Because I've always told myself that I'm "only" 30-40 lbs overweight, I never thought it was possible that I could be this unfit. I put myself in denial and just kept falling off the wagon. As I've mentioned before, I'm so good at talking myself OUT of exercising and IN to eating fast food - I'm a junk food junkie, completely.

But my new plan is basic: I want to net under 1000 calories a day. That means for the most part, eating 1200-1300 calories per day and doing some sort of exercise to take off the rest. Even if I'm at 999, I'm going to consider my goal achieved that day. I eat whatever I want to for the most part (in smaller portions) but I tend to eat healthier now, because I don't really want to starve myself all day just so I can have that cheeseburger for dinner. I've learned a few healthier substitutions that I can live with and not feel deprived, and I'm paying more attention to how much protein I'm eating, which I've never thought about in my life.

My exercise plan is going to be M-W-F cardio only. We have an elliptical-precor thing (with the arms) and a treadmill at home that I can use to achieve this. T and Th I'm going to do the front workout and back workout, respectively. These burn TONS of calories so they will most likely be my 2 higher calorie intake days. (But still with a net of 999 at the most, as the goal.) Saturday and Sunday my BF and I tend to do a lot of walking around and that's physical enough for me, until better weather hits and we can go back to learning tennis together.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I just thought I'd let everyone know what I'm doing, and maybe this will help with that accountability thing.

I'm really so inspired by all of you, whether you're having good days or bad days. It's so nice to feel like we're all in the same boat. I continue to be amazed at Chick and ledom's dedication to the exercise plan. You girls ROCK! :dance: :dance: :dance:

ledom 01-09-2006 10:56 PM

Evening ladies - SmartButt I think you have to do what is right for you. It sounds like you have a good plan for yourself. I modify a lot. When I first started the program I worried over it but I don't anymore - like you said, I take what I have learned from the book and make it work for me and my fitness level. I am getting a great workout even with the modifications.

I laid off today due to my cold, but I am feeling a lot better tonight and will give it a shot in the morning.

chick_in_the_hat 01-09-2006 11:11 PM

Yep - I think your plan is something that should work for you - because you created it for yourself - after research. I'm with ledom as far as modifying goes - I don't think doing anything that causes immediate pain does you a lick of good. A slow burn the next day might be unavoidable occasionally - but IMO it should not be the norm.

Learning tennis together sounds great!! It's so cool to have someone doing it with you. :D Just for the record you are inspirational to me, as well...:grouphug:

Ok - enough about how wonderful I think Smartbutt is. Back to ME...;)

Another DORK moment for me, today...left the tennies at home. Had to attempt Week 11, Thursday workout in (brace yourselves for a giggle) birkenstock clogs. I kid you not. Step ups? Not happening...not even with tennies. I think I did get some bonus hamstring action trying to keep the shoes on while jogging in place. And NO I did not kick them at anyone...just in case that's what you were thinking...:devil: I'm starting to think I'm sabotaging myself...quite annoying.

On a more positive note: I'm still in love with back extensions - I do them while hugging a 10 lb plate now...neato! :carrot:

caroldiem 01-10-2006 05:38 AM

Hey guys

Well i agree with all of you, everyone is different and what works for one may not work for the other. So as long as your happy with what your doing and its different from before then your doing fabolous!! :)

Ok i attempted Day 2 of Week 1 of Jillians workout, I have to say it was a killer, my entire body is aching i am very grateful it is rest day tomorrow.I'm in pain when i sit down, i'm in pain when i get up, I have muscles i never knew existed. I sweated like a pig

Oh and your right chick in teh hat, everyone was staring at me at the gym, there all takign there time while i'm running around like a headless chook.

Crazy stuff but guaranteed i am sweating way more then them

Have a great workout guys

cs

chick_in_the_hat 01-10-2006 02:42 PM

Hey caroldiem - give them one of these... :snooty:

As long as you rack your weights and wipe the sweat off of where you have been (and don't step on anyone directly ;)) - they should have nothing to cry about. When they start watching the results they will be asking what plan are you using...:D

tyneebutt 01-10-2006 03:09 PM

Another Newbie!!!

Hello Everyone,
I am really excited to be here:carrot: . I just got Jillian's book on Sunday and I am currently waiting for my DVD set to arrive - hopefully tommorrow!!

I was just wondering if any of you could share how long some of you have been on Jillians program and share some results. I have so much to catch up on the threads - so please forgive me if you have already done this. :^:
This week I am trying to get used to the calorie counting and just getting my meals planned, so that I can start next week.

I realize now, that I do not do ENOUGH in terms of exercise, and I truly believe that this will help me.

Thanks for listening - reading ;) - I look forward to sharing with you all too.

Helen

tyneebutt 01-10-2006 03:12 PM

Way to go!!

Shaunarae2, that is so amazing!!! 5lbs already - you are doing so awesome!!:carrot:

chick_in_the_hat 01-10-2006 05:25 PM

Hi tyneebutt! :welcome:

I finally ordered the DVD set myself today - (I need something to work on on vacation in Mexico)
I'm in week 11 of the workouts in the book. I'm a balanced oxidizer - since I started the workouts I've lost 7 lbs. I know - it's pretty slow - but I need to eat a lot cleaner to see faster results. I did manage to break a 3 month plateau... :cb: