The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 06-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #691  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Hey, That sounds like my dog! He sticks his nose into everything, he's very curious! I have a rottweiler crossed with... well, something. i'm not really sure. From the size of him, he could be crossed with a bear! He's so cute and friendly, but he's pretty dumb And i mean that in the most loving way possible, he just always trips over and walks head first in to walls and things. But it keeps my family entertained!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #692  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Morning - I am interested in hearing how your respective camping trips have been?

Thought I'd log on for some support for the upcoming week. I usually keep social eating down to once per week, but this coming week is going to be full of challenges. DD will be w/ me Tues. night and that usually means eating out. Wed. night I am having folks over for dinner and Thurs. night I am taking DD and her BF out for dinner and the theatre. I have been thinking about how to eat at all these events. (Oh yeah my mom and are going out for lunch today too.) I'll be able to resist drinking I know. I am making a key lime pie for my guests on Wed. and I will have a slice of that. But I am also making boiled shrimp, potatoes, and corn so I should be able to not do too much damage. You know what trips me up more than anything? Having my schedule out of whack. If I can eat on time I usually can manage pretty good, but if supper is late I am all thrown off. I just know that no matter how conservative I am, this week I am going to total more calories than usual.

Also, I am wondering about what is going on with me exercise wise. I am spending many more minutes per week due to all the hiking I have been doing. I don't see any increase in weight loss however. I am averaging a lb. a week. No more of those 3 lb. weeks it seems. Also, I am wondering if I am getting the most efficient use of my time. Jillian's workouts are very efficient I think. On the other hand when I go back to work and have less time to devote I wonder if it'll make a difference.

Well just a lot of ruminations with no real answers. I am having to remind myself to have patience. I am so happy with what I have achieved and for the most part feel contentment with my path, it's just sometimes I wish for a big whoosh of weight loss to happen.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #693  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Camping was great fun. I was missing my scooter - we took the scenic route down - a perfect scooter road. It was full of bikers, too! We took the dawg - tho. It was fun to have him along. (Maybe a side car and some doggles ) We really need to go camping more often - I say that every time I come home from camping - why is it so hard to follow through? Oh yeah...DH and his working most weekends. Gotta work on him with that one. Maybe if I just make reservations and tell him he's taking such and such weekend off. It might actually work...he might be so surprised to see me actually plan ahead.. It's just so relaxing - no ringing phones, no work....

Tomorrow is back to the real world...but at least I'm all rejuvenated.

ledom - Do you measure your heart rate when you are hiking? I'm thinking maybe it isn't getting your heart rate up as much as Jillian's workouts do. OTO - a pound a week ain't shabby - it's near impossible for me to suggest you should stop doing something you love so much. I have cut back how much I walk, tho - mostly because the dog is getting old and he gets tired before I do. I figure I don't really count the dog walking as anything more than quality time with my guy.... From the way you describe your hikes I'm sure they are much more strenuous than my wanderings around the park.
On to the stress of eating out....are there restaurants where you know you can order something on plan like Applebee's? I like to check out the menu online before I go if possible. There might be info on calorieking.com as well. For me it's easier if I know what I'm getting before I get there. Then - enjoy your visits with your family...and don't freak if you have something you didn't plan on. Just call it calorie zigzagging and go lower on your intake the next day.

sadgirl - Dobie isn't really the sharpest tool in the shed either, bless his heart...it's part of his charm. He is quite entertaining like yours. I had a dog who was smarter than me before...he was a LOT of work...

hey angel-eyes!!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 AM   #694  
Chick

Hey Chick - glad to hear you had fun!

You know, I hadn't even thought about heart rate. That is a good point.

Last edited by ledom; 06-19-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #695  
Chick

Me again! Angel, did you have fun camping? Was it all your son hoped for?

Well, I have decided to go back to the Jillian routines. It'll be Thursday before I can get to it, but I think it is the right time. For one thing, it is officially hot here, hiking is becoming uncomfortable. More to the point, that heart rate thing, I think I need to remember what it is like to do Jillian's workouts.

On another exercise front, I have been to two yoga classes at the local yoga center. Two different teachers. If my first impression is correct I am going to enjoy these ladies. Very unpretentious. I left both sessions feeling fabulous so I am going to try to go on Monday nights and Wednesday mornings. I am also thinking that yoga will be my vacation workout. Easy enough to take a mat along and a book with exercises. It'll be good to do on the road.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #696  
TwinkleGirl

Ledom- glad to see that you're back into your groove! Jillians workouts will definitely get you into a sweat! And i'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your yoga classes, i haven't tried one but i hear that they can be great!

Chick- Nice to see you're back safe and sound and that you had fun camping!

I also have a quick question for you all. A gym near my home is starting up spin classes sometimes in the future, i was just wondering if anyone had ever taken a spin class? Did you enjoy it? Did you almost die? I hear that spin classes are tough, and i'm not sure i'm anywhere near ready to tackle it, i just wanted to see what other people think of them. Maybe one day in the future when i'm a little closer to my goal i'll get the nerve to try it.

Weigh in is in two and a half days and i'm feeling ok about it, this week. But we'll have to see! Hope that everyone is having a great day!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #697  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hey girls!!! well, I survived my camping ordeal. Hot and humid is all I can say!!! Ds had a great time though.....there were 6 boys from his boyscout den and lots of things for them to do. Camping by myself is not something I like to do....(dh was working out of town, and other ds was away at school) I did it though but only for ds. The threat of a storm and high winds made us do the fastest teardown EVER!!! Believe me, when you have to schleep all the equipment, coolers, sleeping bags, chairs, etc etc....a good 300 ft to the car.....YOU MOVE FAST. That in itself was a workout. I feel as though I've been derailed diet wise though, I did eat healthy and all of that but since TOM came yesterday, I have been non exisistant in the excercise dept. Gotta work on that. I did give in to some sugar cravings yesterday but feel on track today. I tell you....its a day to day battle sometimes.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #698  
Chick

Well Angel - you are back in your place now. Day to day is right! You must live down south too. Hot and humid and not likely to change for a couple months where I live in Arkansas.

Things are looking good for that good weigh-in I was wishing for. Just more incentive to hold the line tonight and tomorrow night when I am socializing. Just feeling so dang good these days!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #699  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Day to Day? How about minute to minute sometimes...I managed to avoid the chocolate cheesecake someone brought to work.

Hot and humid sounds worse than just plain hot....it's supposed to get up to 102 today. But it's a dry heat we always say....

Cardio only today...work is being a bear at the moment...gotta go.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #700  
soon to be goddess

WTG chick!! nasty nasty chocolate cheesecake!!!

ledom....good luck with your weigh in How are your new (Old)workouts going?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #701  
Chick

Ohhh man - now that you asked I better get my behind down to the basement and get going. Today is the start date for that and I am still lolling around up here reading 3fc. I do have my workout clothes on - does that count? I'll report back.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #702  
Chick

OK - got it done! Good to be back - it was a great workout.

Chick, watch out - don't work too hard. And humid is worse than dry, but 102? that can't be good dry or humid.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #703  
soon to be goddess

okay girls.....I am officially a big blob of jelly!!! I went to the gym this morning thinking....okay, I can do the core body ball/class and hoping I wasn't too crampy and blah feeling. I made it through the class and then the teacher said..."who's here for the jump rope class?" hmmm, who wants to burn 900 calories in an hour? WELL HELLO??....I DO!!! So I paid my extra 5 bucks, and boy oh boy do I feel spent!!! We would skip rope for 3 minutes and then switch to push ups for 1 min.....then 3 minutes of skip rope, then 1 min of abs....etc etc and switching up the basic jumping for a ski step, running step, jump on one foot, double jump, swing leg step....etc etc..... I am so proud of myself for lasting the hour!!!! of course, this means I won't be able to walk later....
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #704  
TwinkleGirl

OMG Angel! That jump rope class sounds REALLY tough! I'm really proud of you for lasting the hour, i don't think i would have last 5 minutes! Good Work!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:01 AM   #705  
Chick

I am in awe Angel. I don't think I could have even attempted that class. You rule!

Hey, I lost 3 lbs. this week. Maybe I should have thrown a hissy fit about the slowness of losing sooner. I think it was just ready to go. I reigned myself in a lot the last couple of days but I wasn't perfect and I probably exercised a little less this week as well. Anyway, I am very happy with the loss. One more lb. and I'll be out of the obese category - a very nice "scale" victory.

Last edited by ledom; 06-23-2006 at 01:23 AM.