3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing-184/)
-   -   Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing/67661-jillians-girls-exercise-journal.html)

ledom 01-19-2006 11:49 AM

w 11/d 2 complete

tynee I think yoga is the perfect compliment to this regime - a way to stretch really good and at the same time use the new muscles you are making

tyneebutt 01-19-2006 12:17 PM

hey ledom,
wow, you are almost done the full cycle of jillians workout schedule. Way to Go!!
I did find that the yoga helped me with the muscle soreness and stiffness. I feel great today. I will be doing front today, when my daughter goes down for a nap. So I will be reporting back to let you know how I did. :)

Have a great day!!

tyneebutt 01-19-2006 06:10 PM

This afternoon, I did the front dvd. I wore my heartrate monitor and boy I find I really have to scale back every now and then so that my heart rate doesn't spike too high. I added 30 mins of cardio at 85% MHR. I am starting to feel sore now - I wonder how I will feel tomorrow?! Yikes :)
I will do the the back and front dvd's for another week, and then I will switch it up to the maximize front/back dvd's.
This Saturday will be interesting, since I will be attempting the Cardio kickbox dvd by jillian. I am sure she will kick my butt - but hey whatever it takes. I have to do this!!

I hope everyone here is having a wonderful day!!

Dalotajr 01-19-2006 09:41 PM

I'm new here and to WBL. I finally finished the book a couple days ago. Today was my first time doing a WO. I done Week #1 Thur workout. OMG...it kicked my butt. I have never left the gym so tried. I done all the cycles except the very last one, and replaced it with the elliptical machine for 11min (was supposed to done 40min, but my legs gave up on me).
Tracy :barbell:

tyneebutt 01-20-2006 12:24 PM

Welcome Dalotajr!!:)
Wow, the ones in the book look really tough. For the time being I will be doing her DVDs. I find that once I get past how sore I am, I really fall into a nice deep sleep.
Keep up the great work, everyday just doing her workouts IS an accomplishment!!!:carrot:

As for today I did manage to get my workout in. I nearly didn't because for some reason, right out of the blue, I felt so nauseous that I nearly threw up!! Weird!! Anyways, I grabbed the first thing I saw in the bathroom, a citrus smelling toilet cleaner and started to clean my toilet - yeah, I'm weird - and after a few minutes I felt good enough to do a workout. I promised myself that if I did feel nauseous at any time, I would just stop what I'm doing and just take it easy for today.
I am happy to say that as I got all pumped up that weird feeling left and I managed to get through the 30mins and even added another 30minutes of cardio (jogging on spot, dancing, more db rows, and reverse x-over squats). I pampered myself and I feel great now.
I am also happy to report that even though it has not been 1 week yet, I have lost 2 lbs!!!:carrot:

Thanks for listening (reading), and I hope you all are also having a wonderful day :)

ledom 01-20-2006 06:23 PM

Hey guys - just a note to welcome Dal, say hi tynee - good work! And to announce that I lost 4 lbs. this weigh-in. I am ecstatic! It works, it works, it really really works. I eat about 1400 cals a day and am pretty true to the workouts. Yes, it is neat to realize that I have almost completed the 12 weeks. I believe I'll just start over with week one when I finish. I'll decide then if I want to modify anything.

angel-eyes 01-20-2006 06:26 PM

WTG ledom!!! That is awesome, losing another 4 lbs AND finishing up the 12 week program. YOU GO GIRL!!! :cheer:

Tynee....whoa..I need to get a new toilet cleaner!!! :rofl: Great job on the workout!!!

tyneebutt 01-20-2006 07:08 PM

Yay ledom!!! Congratulations on your 4lbs lost!! Awesome stuff :) :carrot:

Angel-eyes - funny I know ;) - but a "girlz gotta do what a girlz gotta do" :dizzy:

shaunarae2 01-20-2006 08:10 PM

ledmom- Yeah on your 4 pounds! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: You have got to feel great coming near completion. What is the total you have lost during the 12 weeks?

I just did Week 4 day 4. I am happy that I got through it. Yesterday, I had to leave work because I was curling over in pain in my stomach. I went straight to the doctor who sent me to the ER. I waited in the ER for 2 hours and then I started feeling better, so I told the ER I was going home. They said my wait would have still been several more hours. I took a hot bath and went to bed and felt better this morning. Don't know what the problem was though. I was thinking appendix, but now I'm wondering if it was kidney stones. I don't have any symptoms today. I'm glad yesterday was a rest day!

Shauna

SmartButt 01-20-2006 11:40 PM

Alright ledom, wooooot!!! :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: You deserve a dancing banana for each lost pound. hehehe

Despite my self-made exercise plan, I've fallen off the wagon the past 3 days. I started one as my "rest" day because I'd been on the treadmill a ton, but the last 2 weren't really supposed to be rest days. I was lucky enough to find a new job after the closing down of my work, but the schedule is different and I just haven't felt right.

I'm still keeping my eye on the 5k, and that is pushing me to really want to work out and get on that treadmill, so I haven't given up completely! :)

I'm proud of everyone!

ledom 01-21-2006 08:09 AM

Thanks guys. I knew you'd be happy for me.:love: You're all so sweet.

Last week I was bloated at weigh-in day so I think I might have already lost some fat then but it didn't show on the scale. Other than that the only thing different about this week is that I drank a lot more water. Oh, I was more active too. See, I went back to work this week, there is a water fountain right outside my office door so I found it easy to keep my water bottle filled.

I didn't record what I weighed when I started the "workout". My guess is that I have lost about 12 lbs. On Jan. 3 I started weighing and writing it down everyday so from now on I'll have a record. Since the first of August, however, I know that I have lost 30 lbs. During that time I strayed about 3 weeks around Christmas. Actually, I kept up the workouts but got into the cookies pretty heavy duty. I am hoping that in the next 6 months I can do much better than 30 lbs., but on the other hand, if I lose 30 lbs. I will be very happy.

This is day 3 of week 11 but I am going to do my cardio day out of sequence again this week. I like to hike and it is just going to be easier to do that today than it would be on Monday.

Have a good weekend everyone. Keep up the good work.

SmartButt 01-21-2006 02:37 PM

I love this board because it inspires me to want to post my exercise that I've done, and since there would be no point in lying, my brain kicks into the "well I guess you have no other choice but to do it" mode.

Today I did 40 mins on the treadmill, which is more than I can ever remember doing. I did intervals, so 9 minutes of that 40 was jogging, and the rest was walking at 3-4 mph. The total distance was 2 miles. I have to work up to 3 miles to be able to even finish the 5k I'm doing in April. I'm sure I could have done 3 miles in under an hour...but considering people win 5ks in 15 minutes, I guess I have a ways to go! hahaha

Actually I'm not trying to *win* the 5k, that's not even in my dreams. I just want to finish and not be dead at the end!

angel-eyes 01-21-2006 07:09 PM

Smartbutt....Really? people win at 15 minutes? oh no....I was thinking more of 45 minutes for me!!! I've still got a ways to go also. No workout today, my jaw is still causing me some pain even though I had my dental work done on Monday. If its still bothering me, I will go back in to her office on Monday and ask about it. I had better not have any nerve damage!!! I did buy Jillians 2pk workout dvd's...frontside and backside (?) think thats what its called. Can't wait for her to start yelling at me... :rofl:

caroldiem 01-22-2006 04:26 AM

Hey guys

Been a while since i have posted, finsihed week 2 of jillians workouts. I've been naughty with the food though, so i dont know if i have lost anything, i dont have a scale so i am taking waist, hip and stomach measurements, thats more important to me then weight. Anyway I was speaking to a colleague at work who is a bodybuilder and she was telling me that its a lot more beneficial to walk then run on the treadmill. Because when you are workign out at 85% heart rate you are burning muscle and a bit of fat but when your workign out at a lower heart rate you are just burning fat. And i knwo shes right because shes 44 and she looks amazing. I mena it makes sense she said when you run etc your body needs a quick source of energy and it goes straight to the muscle, but if your walking the body needs slow energy therefore it targets the stored fat cells. So my plan is to do Jillians workouts which takes me an hour anyway and then a 30min walk after that. And if i eat right around 1200calories a day becasue i'm short then i should be on the right track. Man this is hard work.

ledom 01-22-2006 12:23 PM

Keep up the good work Carol. I set my treadmill on 8.5 incline at 3 to 3.5 mph. It is a good steady, hard setting just shy of jogging. The incline seems to reallly target my glutes as well.

Week 11 - day 4 done.

angel-eyes 01-22-2006 12:30 PM

ledom.....On that high of an incline, do you hold on to the handles? On the Biggest Loser couples edition.....Jillian was working with Susan (red team) and was telling her NOT to hang on....boy she sure trains them hard. I was just curious. It is very hard not to hold SOMETHING!!! Thats a great workout on the treadmill GF!! My gym is closed today, but I just bought Jillians dvd (frontside/backside) and am just going to pop that in and maybe later get a good walk in.

ledom 01-22-2006 12:47 PM

angel eyes - no I don't hold on. I can't remember when I started walking on the treadmill but I am sure I worked up. I actually do most of the cardio in the workouts on the tread. Not always, and when I start over w/ week one I am planning to try mountain climbers, etc. again. I did do step plyo jumps today. I am getting so much stronger! I can really tell in my hiking. This a.m. I just had to preen in front of the mirror for a while. My arms and back and shoulders are really looking muscular. Even my legs, which are a huge problem area and have a huge way to go are looking so much better as is my mid section. I am loving it. I can tell already that I am going to really have to restrain myself from buying clothes. I am already sitting on my hands. I did buy a pair of jeans this weekend. The decision between the ones that fit perfectly and the skin tight ones. I went with the skin tight - wore them out last night and felt totally confident that I was a big girl that looked pretty good in her tight jeans.

edited to add: I am so curious about those videos. I guess I'll pass though, gotta save money for clothes :-). I am particularly interested in the kickboxing ones. I do have an old tae bo tape around here somewhere, I should probably dig that out.

tyneebutt 01-22-2006 05:52 PM

Hello Everyone!!
Its great to be back - I had computer troubles and could not log on - I always love to come here and get so pumped to live my days to the best of my ability.
As for yesterday, I did Jillians Kickbox DVD, and really SURPRISED myself because I backtracked the last 10 mins TWICE!!! I cannot believe how fast our bodies adapt to all this work.
To all you ladies out there, keep up all your awesome work, and always tell yourself that YOU CAN!!!

Ledom - yeay to you and your new jeans!!!!:carrot: I am sure you look great :)

angel-eyes 01-22-2006 07:15 PM

ledom.....Just to let you know......The 2 pk dvd set normally sells for $24.99 and I had a coupon at Borders for 20% off. So basically, I got them for $10.00 each (which sold singlely are $14.99 each) Anyways...I opened the dvd's and there's a coupon for a FREE kickboxing dvd of Jillians, all you need is to pay the $3.98 shipping/handling fee. NOW THATS A GREAT DEAL!!!

I hear ya on the preening!!! :rofl:....the other day I was towelling off from a shower and I yelled..."look there! do you see it?" to dh and he went 'huh?' I had a very visible muscle ripple on my shoulder bone!!! he kept saying ...where where?? but I knew (secretly) that he did see it!!! LOL

tynee....good job on the workouts!! She gets under your skin, doesn't she? I love these dvd's!!!

SmartButt 01-22-2006 07:29 PM

treadmill stuff

I think people get confused about what their body is burning during a high-intensity workout. Here are a few quotes from Jillian (and personally I'll believe her over any small-time trainer, since she would appear to have access to more knowledge & people)...

"Do you walk on the treadmill but never break a stroll? Forget about it! That is totally useless. To burn maximum calories, you have to get your heart rate up to the 85 percent mark mentioned earlier."

"Remember the whole theory of a target fat-burning zone and low-intensity exxercies being a more effective method of burning fat than high-intensity exercise? This is untrue for the same reason: a calorie is a calorie no matter what. It doesn't matter if the calories are from fat or from carbs - as long as you are burning more of them than you are taking in, you will lose weight."

"So it sounds like low-intensity training would be more effective when it comes to losing fat, right? Wrong. These physiological facts have indeed led to the mistaken belief that low-intensity activity is better than high-intensity activity when it comes to burning fat and losing weight. Furthermore, this misconception has spawned the notion that people should only train within their fat-burning zones. The thing is, even though a greater percentage of fat calories is used during low-intensity exercise, the total number of fat calories used is GREATER during high-intensity exercise because more overall calories are burned."

Therefore, I do jogging and running intervals rather than just walking. :) The same effect could probably be achieved with the inclines like ledom mentions, but I don't have that option on my treadmill at home, so jogging it is.

Plus, I'd like to finish the 5k in less than an hour! hehe

tyneebutt 01-22-2006 09:35 PM

Hey Smartbutt, i totally agree with that quote by Jillian. I HAVE tried a program that emphasized a 40carb-40pros-20fat ratio, and only working out for 30 minutes at 65-75% MHR. It didn't work for me, hence, my reason for being here.

While doing this program I, A) I felt fatigued - not enough carbs, and B) my weight went NOWHERE. I do know that weight isn't the SOLE method of measuring progress, but to be honest at 5' - yes I am SHORT- I do not BELIEVE that I should be 178lbs!! I honestly feel that I was consuming what I needed to MAINTAIN my weight, and not burning enough calories with those light workouts.

Working out hard, and eating clean is helping me SEE results. I can feel it in how my clothes fit, and I see it on the scale too.
At this point, as long as we continue to WEIGHT TRAIN, we will be sustaining our muscle despite how hard we workout. :strong:

By the way, I am sure you will make your 5k in under an hour. I did my first 5k last summer and finished in 40:24, and I AM slow. You will do it Smartbutt, I KNOW you will - esp. with all this training with Jillian!!!:cb:

SmartButt 01-22-2006 10:17 PM

Thank you tyneebutt :)

Sadly, it takes me 40 mins to just go 2 miles! Pathetic!

I keep trying to get my family to realize how out of shape I am. I carry my weight fairly well, and I guess they figure since I don't look "huge" that I should be in shape. But I haven't done any serious exercise or cardio or weight training for more than 3 weeks at a time in over 15 years. Every time I started a gym membership, I'd be all into it for 3-4 weeks and then just get bored and stop. I never gave my body a chance to actually benefit from anything I was doing.

That's why I chose a 5k. I know I can't run the whole thing or even half of it, but it is a "long" term goal that I can set and work toward. Maybe I won't finish this one under 40 minutes, but maybe the next one? That sort of thing. I'm very lucky to have a friend who's going through all of this with me and she's going to do the 5k as well. :)

I get a lot of the "that's not good for you" and "that's really hard on your knees" type of commentary from people who find out I'm trying to jog/run. But you know what? My mother is over 200 lbs and now has bad knees because of being overweight and her body trying to carry that load. So, I can either be in shape with bad knees or fat with bad knees, my decision. Hehehehe :D

chick_in_the_hat 01-22-2006 11:55 PM

Hey Jillian's Girlz!!

Greetings from a podunk town in Mexico...I can not for the life of me figure out this keyboard so I will not say much. I have not done a real work out since I left home, but lots of walking and today we went swimming. I wandered by a gym...maybe I will check it out later. I have tried to be good with food choices but one example is when I ordered oatmeal...I thought what can go wrong with oatmeal? Well...what I got was like oatmeal flavored milk soup with tons of sugar.....:mad: oh well...today was better - my new plan is more seafood is better...seafood and veggies. It is just really hard to not go overboard with the carbs. These people really like their starch...:p

Later I will attempt to log on with a keyboard I can make sense of...this one has extra letters and I can't find the at sign even...:dizzy:

Dalotajr 01-23-2006 12:08 AM

I bought a Polar F6 heart rate monitor today and went to the gym. I done 50min+5min warm-up+5min cool down w/ stretching. Monday (in the morning), I began day 1/week 1. :carrot:
Tracy

ledom 01-23-2006 08:21 AM

Congrats on getting started Tracy.

Week 11 complete!

tyneebutt 01-23-2006 11:42 AM

Smartbutt - I love your attitude, small goals are the key, and you will do it - there is no doubt in my mind. Always remember, that you have come such a long way from where you started. Could you even run 2 miles before? Probably not, I remember I couldn't even run for 1 minute straight - never mind a 5k. Had someone told me that I would run a 5k 10yrs ago, I would have told them that they are crazy. Continue looking ahead, and you will reach your goals.
I used to get those comments too about how BAD running is for you. But the truth is, like you said, being sedentary causes WAY more complications than being active - and chances are they are afraid of the unknown - they've never tried it themselves. Attempting my first 5k, gave me this new found respect for runners out there. It's a science and discipline that you continually learn and improve - that is why so few do it. You go girl - you CAN do it!!! :)

Chick-in-the-hat - nice to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying your vacation. And yes, we latinos DO love our carbs. Stick with the seafood, fresh veggies and fruit and you will do just fine. Enjoy your time there and savour every minute - you DESERVE it!!!

Tracy - yeay!! :carrot: this is an awesome journey - LOL mine only started 1 week ago, and so far I am loving it and amazing myself.

ledom - wow, your last week, I am so inspired. At the end of next week please fill us in on your successes like: your improvements in endurance, ways that you have made yourself proud, and your accomplishments. I really would love to hear from a pro.:D

I hope all you have a wonderful and butt-kicking day!! ;)

Dalotajr 01-23-2006 01:12 PM

Thanks eveyone for the motivation and support!!

Today I offically began...day1/week1. I done pretty well keeping in my heart rate zone. Those bench dips & Sumos are killer.
Tracy :wl:

tyneebutt 01-23-2006 06:25 PM

This afternoon, I did Jillians Front DVD, and rewound 2 of the circuits. I made sure to finish of with some more circuit/cardio to make it to 1hr.
I find that I kinda dread it at first, but I push play and when its all over, I am so grateful and I feel so awesome with what I accomplished.:carrot:

Have a wonderful day y'all!! :D

tyneebutt 01-24-2006 05:36 PM

well, I kicked my butt again :) Day 2 of this week is done, and yoga tommorrow for me.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Dalotajr 01-24-2006 09:13 PM

I ran out of time to hit the gym, so instead I done Jillian's Shape-up Backside. I made it through must of it though. She lost me on the Superman's...lol
Tracy

shaunarae2 01-24-2006 10:42 PM

I started week 5 today and it is a huge step up from weeks 3 & 4. I can already feel it in my legs. I'm loving the results though. A huge payoff! :carrot:

ledom 01-25-2006 07:49 AM

Way to go Tracy and Tiny. Shaunarae, it just keeps getting better, doesn't it? I am addicted to these workouts, who woulda guessed?! Anyway, I just got day 1 of week 12 behind me.

Hey, don't forget there is a Biggest Loser on tonight!

Oh, and Gina - I miss you! Hope you are having a grand time though.

caroldiem 01-26-2006 07:00 AM

Hey Ladies!!!!

Well i think at the end of the day whatever works for you is what you should do. I know in my experience, I used to run and walk for 30mins, then work out on the bike and elliptical trainer @ 85% heart rate, i did no weight trainign though and i lost absolutely NO weight. But with my experience i have found doing Jillians fat burnign workouts is really building my muscle and the walking afterwards is just burnign fat and its working, plus i dont want to put pressure on my joints.But if running is workign for you then Go for it!!!
I still believe the bodybuilder i know is correct but she is more concerned about building muscle mass and having very low body fat %. Where as Jillian is more concentrated on burning fat not building muscle as such, it's all good in the end.

Whatever gets you to a more slimmer you

SmartButt you seem like one tough chick, goodluck seems like everyone here is doing very well

ledom 01-26-2006 11:53 AM

Day 2 of week 12 complete. I liked todays workout a lot.

tyneebutt 01-26-2006 06:37 PM

Did the full frontal - maximize, and cardio kickbox combined. I was exhausted, but a "good" exhausted feeling.
Once again, I had that nausea, AGAIN and I nearly had to back away from exercise - I didn't start cleaning the toilet, but I did add a slice of ginger to my water - BOY did it make a difference!! I told myself that I GAVE MYSELF PERMISSION to do stop my workout if I felt nauseous - and thank goodness it let up.
I feel good and proud that I accomplished what I set out to do - workout for 60mins @ 85%MHR!! :)

carol - I agree, in that we ALL have to find what WORKS for us individually. Like Jillian said, we all do not fit into cookie cutter molds, or else we'd all be where we want to be. Do what works for you and you will get to your goal!! Keep up your awesome work!! :)

:carrot: Go ledom go!! woohooo!!! :carrot:

ledom 01-28-2006 10:39 AM

Tynee - what do you think is up with nausea? What time of day do you work out and do you eat something prior to working out? I haven't experienced that but I do know that the 5 min. warmup is vital to having a good workout. Do you do that? I must confess something I have been doing since starting back to work. This is in the name of saving a few minutes. I make my last circuit somewhat of a cooldown. Bringing the cardio segments way down. Perhaps I shouldn't admit to that, I am sure Jillian would have none of that. It's working for me right now though.

Just finished day 3 week 12. Will probably do cardio day tomorrow if it isn't raining outside.

angel-eyes 01-29-2006 11:41 AM

hehe.....So a week ago I bought the double dvd pack of Jillians front and backside dvd's. While browsing through Costco on Friday, I saw Jillians single dvd's on sale for only $8.99. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!.....so I grab one (as if it was the last one....) and buy it. I re-bought EXACTLY the same 'front' dvd as I already had!!! haha...LOSER!!! :doh: So I will have to make the trek back to costco, and see if they still have the third dvd....haha...CRAZY HUH? I was soooo excited to see her dvd's there!!! I forgot which ones I had just bought!!!

ledom 01-30-2006 08:25 AM

Well, I did it! 12 weeks of Winning by Losing workouts. It feels like a great accomplishment. I couldn't be happier with the results either. Weight loss of at least 12 lbs. despite a vacation and winter holidays. Noticable difference, especially in lower body. Face looks slimmer and just a feeling of being toned and healthy. I plan to do it all over again. I will see how it feels to do week one again, I may or may not modify it I want to see how it feels before I make any changes.

shaunarae2 01-30-2006 10:54 AM

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: Doing the happy dance for you ledmom. Congrats! That is quite an accomplishment. Please continue to post how you are doing starting the rotation over. I begin week 6 today and am very pleased with my results to date. I can't wait until I am finished with the 12 weeks. I'm having awesome changes and getting lots of compliments.

Shauna

angel-eyes 01-30-2006 11:49 AM

ledom....:cheer: WOOHOOO :cheer: Wtg!!! That is awesome, I think you are the first person on this thread to actually finish!!! :carrot: