3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing-184/)
-   -   Questions for Jillian Michaels re: Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing/67247-questions-jillian-michaels-re-winning-losing.html)

ledom 12-11-2005 11:55 AM

Do you suppose she is in Australia now filming a new season of BL? Seems I remember hearing they started that on Dec. 9.

Charles78 12-12-2005 02:17 PM

Love your book!

Jillian,

Thanks for writing such a good book. I really enjoyed watching the Biggest Loser this season and got a lot of inspiration from you and the show. Now you just need to have a book signing somewhere in Texas so you can sign my copy of your book. :)

ozzie_pink 12-12-2005 06:11 PM

G'day all:) ,
I think Jillian arrived here in Sydeny about a week and a half ago, Aussie Biggest Loser started filming the 8th Dec (I think), so she probably is really busy at the moment.
But when she does come back I have a question:D
Jillian are there any excercises that specifically strengthen the muscles around the knee? I want to run, but my knees always ache after so it makes cardio less than an attractive proposition:) . I'm fairly strong but my bodyfat is too high so I need the cardio. Problem is walking doesn't raise my heartrate, nowhere to rollerblade, bike riding is too easy and I can't swim all year round.
BTW: You ROCK!:D So awsum to see a chick that can kick butt :carrot: Hope you're enjoying Australia (are they gonna give you an Aussie Christmas? You have got to try pavlova, it is worth an extra workout:D :p ) Get a hold of "Looking for Alibrandi" and "The Castle", two great examples of Aussie movies.
If you get a chance take the Parramatta ferry from Circular Quay round trip just before sunset, you get to see all the lights of the city as you come back under the bridge:cool: .
Anyway much respect Jills(honourary Aussie nickname:D ) and thanks.

MrsJim 12-12-2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie_pink
Jillian are there any excercises that specifically strengthen the muscles around the knee? I want to run, but my knees always ache after so it makes cardio less than an attractive proposition:) . I'm fairly strong but my bodyfat is too high so I need the cardio. Problem is walking doesn't raise my heartrate, nowhere to rollerblade, bike riding is too easy and I can't swim all year round.

:wel3fc:

Not Jillian but...I would suggest seeing a doctor regarding your knees, if you haven't already that is, and see what he recommends.

I was searching Ladies who Lift and found this thread about Knee strengthening (don't know how helpful it will be though).

Additionally, there was a thread at LWL not too long ago where knee issues were discussed...here it is - starting at post #10. You'll note that Pat (WaterRat) refers to "Krista's site" - just in case you haven't discovered it yet, that would be Krista Scott Dixon's Stumptuous Women's Weight Training website which I HIGHLY recommend referring to :carrot:

If you find bike riding to be 'too easy' find some hills or inclines to ride - same with walking - do some hillwalking.

I take it you don't have access to a gym? I would recommend using something low- or non-impact, such as an elliptical machine.

Hope that helps...

ozzie_pink 12-12-2005 09:38 PM

thanks for the links Mrs. Jim:D
I am planning to get my knees sorted, I've tried to before but when I asked a few GPs they shrugged it off 'cos I'm young.
I have a 18km bike route that takes about an hour, and there are a few hills. As to walking, for me to walk fast enough to get my heart rate up I have to run, which kind of defeats the purpose of walking. :)
I've already looked into getting a cross trainer but haven't made a decision.
I've been training for a few years now and am planning to become a trainer when I finish school. I've mostly focused on weight training as I've found it really works for me, but I've been trying to incorporate more cardio. At the moment I'm trying to strengthen my weaknesses, hence my question:)

chick_in_the_hat 01-03-2006 01:18 AM

Bumping this thread up

ejb180 01-08-2006 08:51 PM

OK, now I have a question for Jillian when she gets back.
Should I be concerned if I lose a large amount on a weekly basis?

I did this once before and then started making the wrong choices again (Honestly I took the easy way out after marriage and a child - and made the easy, but wrong choices -fast foods, soda, lots of junky snacks and no exercise)When I did it last time some of my family was concerned becuase I would have a few high weight lost weeks (5+ lbs).

Thanks for your thoughts,

E

SmartButt 01-08-2006 09:53 PM

Hi erin!

I'm not Jillian, but...

If you are eating at least 1200 calories a day of healthy food, and not exercising for more than 2 hours a day (your muscles need rest!) then any drop you see sounds good! Barring any medical problems you haven't mentioned, I think 5 lbs in 1 week is fine.

I can't believe on the Biggest Loser when people drop like 25 pounds in 2 weeks! At first, I could understand it because they were just starting and maybe a lot of that was 'water weight', but some of the contestants were losing that much even weeks into the program!

It is interesting how people around you may perceive your weight loss. You may not want to mention it again to people who seem negative toward it or critical. A friend of mine who was eating around 1200-1400 calories a day was told by her coworker that she was "starving herself to death." Which wasn't true at all! I think sometimes misery just loves company.

ejb180 01-08-2006 10:13 PM

Thanks for the repsonse - I thought so. I am aiming for 1200 as my min and 1500 as the absolute max with 4 hrs exercise as a min a week.

I will keep it in mind regarding talking to those who are negative. I started to use this sight and the contacts I make hear to discuss my progress. It seems easier then seeing people's reaction. Plus this is what we all want so I know we are on the same page.

Thanks for the support and advice SmartButt (funning thing is my husband calls me that now and again... hmmm).

E

SmartButt 01-08-2006 10:18 PM

Yes, I've been called that a few times myself! Although "butt" is usually substituted for a different version of the word, hehehe.

This forum is so wonderful for support, we're glad to have you on board. We'd love to see your progress in the food/exercise journals or just the "another thread" as well, where people post about anything that comes to mind on this journey to wellness.

I'm still sorta stuck at the starting gates, but I feel a renewed sense of motivation this week. Woo!

chick_in_the_hat 01-09-2006 06:24 PM

Just wanted to chime in with a :welcome: to Erin! And, as usual, I agree with Smartbutt...

tyneebutt 01-11-2006 12:48 PM

Confused?!!

Hello Jillian,
Whenever you do get a chance, could you please offer some insight?

I am unsure about what type of oxidiser I am, so I am currently just focussing on cycling my calories daily while meeting my weekly needs. Right now, I make sure that at each meal I have some kind of lean protein source to keep my blood sugar stable. What I would like help on is in diciphering my results on the tests in the book:

a=18, b=8, c=20. I assumed I am a balanced oxidiser because both a and c are very close, but both are higher than b by at least 5. Is this right?
For the time being, I am not quite sure but I will stick to my current nutrition: whole foods, balanced and low fat - mainly focussing on essential fatty acids.

I look forward to hearing from you soon - and thank you for your time.

NavyNerd 01-12-2006 06:51 PM

add sarcasm here

Dear Jillian,
I would just like to thankyou for introducing me to one legged squatts. My butt enjoyed them immensely. Not only did i look like a ****** attempting them, i also can't walk now.

love amanda

hottierockstar 01-12-2006 06:58 PM

hahah oh man!
thanks for the chuckle NavyNerd, i needed that!
Just looking at them in the book makes my arse ache. Imagine the results they will yield!

Ilene 01-12-2006 07:43 PM

I love :love: onelegged squats, they rock my behind :lol:....

auer~j 01-21-2006 10:00 AM

I borrowed Jillian's book from the library and it really changed my thinking on things. The part I liked most was calories in vs calories out. How simple is this, and yet I have gone low carb, low fat, points, etc. etc. So I am trying to stick to the calories in vs calories out, because it just makes so much sense! So thanks Jillian!

Ok anyways, on to my question. Even though Jillian has not been here lately, I'm hoping someone else can help me out.

Ok, I got my heart rate monitor and I'm exercising at 85% of my max heart rate which is 220-34(age)=186x.85=158. Am I doing this right? The thing is I feel like this is too good to be true. I only have to walk at 3mph on a slight incline to be at this rate and I don't feel like I'm working out hard enough. I don't feel like I'm going to die at this rate. I'm sweating, but I'm not sweating like they do on the show. So is this right? Am I working out hard enough? I used to try and run and I always felt like I was going to give myself a heart attack. No wonder I avoided the treadmill like the plaque!

I just don't want to be wasting my time. If I'm going to work out, I want it to be worthwhile so I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks!

susannyny 01-22-2006 10:57 PM

Auer~j,

Your calculation in regards to your heart rate is correct -- 158.1 is the correct number.

Keep in mind that if you're following Jillian's protocol, you need to maintain that rate for a straight 50 minutes.

ozzie_pink 02-02-2006 02:41 AM

thread bump.
Hey Jillian I fixed my knee, well sort of. I started doing more stretches and now I can bike ride without getting it tightening up on me.:carrot: It still hurts a bit now and then, I haven't tried a run yet but I'm hoping to get into training-I have an athletics carnival in a few weeks so I might have a go in a few events.
I keep meaning to get to a doc but I've been really busy.
BTW, is it physically possible to lose 3% body fat in a day or did my scales go nuts? It was really hot but I stayed reasonably hydrated (2-3 litres water), I was carrying a 30 pound backpack too, who needs a gym when you have school:D :lol:

mom_2_a_princess 02-21-2006 05:17 PM

So, I might have gotten in on the back end of this, but I hope not. I have read your book & thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm just confused on a few things. How do you know what the glycemic load of a food & also figuring the fat content/% in a food. I'm a fast oxidizer (thanks to PCOS) & am trying to figure this all out. lol

ozzie_pink 02-25-2006 05:10 AM

Hey, um yeah. Hi all :)

So,
I finally got myself to a doc, who reckons I've roughened the cartilage behind my knee, so I'll be going to a physio for some rehab exercises. Which is probably what I should have done ages ago:o
Loving the show Jillian, I think Adro will do well, pity the red team got elimination 2 weeks running though:(

cool90 02-27-2006 03:40 PM

That 85 % heart rate you're talking about you maintain it doing aerobic exercises ? Which kind ? I do one hour bicycling a day but I hardly get to 85 % of my heart rate. Most of the time the higher heart rate I'm able to maintain during an hour is 75 %. Can you help me on that one ?

OzLoserToBe 02-27-2006 05:02 PM

Can you increase the resistance on your bike, that will get your heart rate up higher if you maintain your speed. Another option is moving your arms while you're riding, punching them in the air or something. Of course unless we're talking about a stationary bike that's probably not a good idea. :)

chick_in_the_hat 02-27-2006 10:36 PM

85% is pretty hard to maintain for a whole hour when you are starting out. Jillian does recommend that you work your way up to it. I think she says you should be able to carry on a conversation during your workout.

As for how to get there, if you are on a stationary bike - try not sitting down. Oz gives useful pointers as well. :wave: HI OZ!!

If you are riding outside - ya need to find hills! :carrot:

AmyMOhio777 03-06-2006 08:09 PM

Hi, new here

I'm not sure if this thread is still very active. G-d I hope so.

I have wanted for so long to tell Jillian, man, you have changed my life. As a recovering anorexic, your book has shown me how to take care of myself. I keep your book in plain view, so on the days I don't want to eat, I see you staring back at me.

I have started a fan club for you on MySpace.com at http://groups.myspace.com/jillianmichaels

We have all discussed and can't answer ONE question. When is your birthday, and how old are you? I'm guessing 30...maybe. I'm 28 :)

I hope someday to help at least one person as much as you have helped me. AND kicked my butt with your DVD's :)

karate_mama 03-07-2006 12:34 PM

First of all I'd like to thank you Jillian for so thoroughly kicking my butt. Between your DVD's and book, most days some part of my body is sore. But no pain, no gain right? Anyhow, on to my question. I am definitely seeing some muscle development in my legs and arms, but is is more pronounced on my left side. I think this looks funny. I thought about just doing more weight & reps on the right side, but am not sure if I should. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks a million. :)

fikustrees 03-07-2006 01:36 PM

hi, I wanted to respond with this helpful link about those struggling with heart rate monitors. I use this wonderful program called cardio coach and it is all layed out on his site. http://www.cardiocoach.com/aboutQSG4.php

If you are working at 85% it will be a struggle to talk, maybe you need to reset your resting heart rate. Check out coach Sean's page it has really good advice.

cool90 03-18-2006 10:57 AM

build muscle in your arms

Hi Jillian,
I'm a 18 years old girl and I'm wondering what is the best way to build my arms at home and back without involving any work-out machines. Does push-ups work for the arms ? If so, how much should I do and how often a day? Right now, I can do about 50 push-ups in one shot. I need other exercises for the arms because push-ups use only one kind of muscle I think. (triceps or biceps) And can I get well-defined muscle like yours by doing push-ups or do I have to like eat tons of proteins and calories ? As for the back which exercises should I do ?

Thanks.
P.S. If Jillian can't answer this, can someone suggest me something ?

cool90 03-19-2006 11:10 AM

jillian's age

AmyMohio777,

you were wondering how old was Jillian Michaels. If my sources are right, she's 31 years old.

chick_in_the_hat 03-20-2006 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool90
Hi Jillian,
I'm a 18 years old girl and I'm wondering what is the best way to build my arms at home and back without involving any work-out machines. Does push-ups work for the arms ? If so, how much should I do and how often a day? Right now, I can do about 50 push-ups in one shot. I need other exercises for the arms because push-ups use only one kind of muscle I think. (triceps or biceps) And can I get well-defined muscle like yours by doing push-ups or do I have to like eat tons of proteins and calories? As for the back which exercises should I do?

Thanks.
P.S. If Jillian can't answer this, can someone suggest me something ?

Check out stumptuous.com - there are all kindsa hints about working out without going to a gym. Another great source is Jillian's Book Winning by Losing - she has a whole twelve week workout program spelled out for you in there. :goodluck:

cool90 03-24-2006 04:25 PM

having strong headaches

Could somebody tell me why I'm having strong headaches like in mid-morning and before supper. I feel so dizzy, I feel like sleeping ( can't study or concentrate) but it can't be because of a lack of sleep ( I sleep for 9 to 10 hours a day). I'm always really really tired and having really strong headaches and it happens like each day. I'm so tired of it. I eat like 1500 calories a day and eat healthy things, try to cut down on sugar. If I eat, my headache disappears for a while. I don't want to eat like an apple or nuts like each two hours. What's happening to me ? What causes this tiredness and headaches ?

angel-eyes 03-24-2006 05:01 PM

I'm no expert but it sounds like you've had a big dip in your blood sugar levels. I find that when I go without food for more than 3hours, I get the same thing. Or....it could be that you're due for a caffeine fix? How much if any do you drink cola drinks and or coffee? Maybe its a withdrawl effect?

cool90 03-24-2006 09:54 PM

Thanks. I don't ever drink diet soda or regular soda but I eat sugary things once in a while, seems like I'm addicted to them. So I guess I'm gonna try to limit my sugar intake cause I will more and more addicted to it.

Bonnie Lass 03-25-2006 01:18 AM

Couple of questions --

How often are you eating?

How much fat are you consuming?

How long have you been dieting?

Have you noticed any patterns with your headaches?

I've had problems with headaches in the past, especially when I was dieting or trying to eat healthier ... I don't know if I can help (I'm not scientifically qualified by no means) but I can try.

cool90 03-25-2006 09:55 AM

Well thanks.

Here'a a typical day:

7h30 breakfast: oatmeal (1 cup) at breakfast with flax seeds (a tablespoon).

8h00-10h00: headache, hungry ( feel like eating sugar or fat) Eat an apple (but still hungry) or eat nuts (pistachios).

11h30 dinner: two egg whites with broccoli and cauliflower ( sometimes dessert cause I'm a big sugar addict which sabotage all my healthy eating, never full without dessert or sugary juice)

2h00-4h00: big headache (fatigue), come back from school, collation( often feel like eating sugary things: a glass of juice with stop my headache right away or a granola bar) but sometimes eat a fruit which doesn't even stop my hunger but eventually stop my headache ( 5-10 minutes later)

4h30: supper : headaches come back (fatigue), seem hungry a lot but try to eat healthy things: salmon with brown rice. After like 5 minutes after supper, hungry again for desserts. If I don't eat it, I'm really tired and feel like sleeping, if I eat it, it boosts my energy and at my best, not hungry anymore.

6h00-8h00: eat an apple or orange before bedtime or I won't be able to sleep well and will be like dizzy.

I'm eating like between morning to supper 1200 calories but when comes supper, I often sabotage this because I need to eat sugar or snack. I've been trying to stick to 1200-1500 calories a day for almost a month but most of the time I can't because my headaches come and I must eat or I will feel tired and not well. I even get headaches after meals when I don't eat sugar. As for meat, I don't eat red meat at all or sea food. I just eat egg whites, chicken ( like once in two-three weeks) and salmon. I tried to eat more meat but I feel full after a few bites but like 5 minutes later I have this urge to eat sugar or fatty things. Same things with vegetable. I'm like always hungry. Only fatty things or sugar keep me full. I don't eat fast-food at all ( or once a month). My fats comes from becel margarine which I try not to use to much and from nuts and salmon).

cool90 03-25-2006 10:02 AM

I forgot to tell that I'm also always yawning and tired all day long even if a get 9 to 10 hours of sleep a day. I tought maybe this could have something to do with my headaches.

Bonnie Lass 03-25-2006 05:33 PM

A last couple of Q's:

A.) If it's none of my business, then don't worry about it. But how much do you weigh?

B.) How much are you exercising every day? And what would you consider your fitness level? (I heard you mention above that you can crank out 50 pushups in one try ...)

C.) Is it possible you could be anemic?

Here's my take. And if I'm talking out of my ***, then someone please let me know.

I think you've got two issues to contend with. The first being that it sounds like your metabolism is gaining some speed .. I mean, it's handling the food you're giving it with a good amount of efficiency.

Unfortunately, this means you may have no choice but to 'feed' it. You can do this without adding any additional calories if you split up your two big meals (dinner-supper) into four meals and eat them accordingly. (mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner)

And the second part of this is I think your protein and your fat intake are too low.

Just from looking at the sample menu you posted, your caloric intake roughly follows 20% protein, 20% fat and 60% carbs. (I did not take into account the margarine you mentioned.) The main source of fat you have in that menu is the salmon.

Is there some way you could try and up both your fat and protein by 10% each? That way you'd be looking at 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs? If not by 10%, maybe experiment with the ratio to see if that will help alleviate the constant hunger and headaches. (And really, I think your protein should be higher anyway, regardless of helping the headaches.)

Overall, I think that between trying to eat more meals during the day, and playing with the p-f-c ratio, I think you should be able to find a way to keep the headaches at bay.

Bonnie Lass 03-25-2006 05:53 PM

PS -- Upping your protein doesn't necessarily mean eating more meat. Experiment with different vegetarian options ... Tofu, legumes, dairy products, even more egg whites or protein shakes. (If you want arms like Jillian, you've gotta be able to give your body a decent amount of protein to rebuild muscles you've damaged while working out.)

angel-eyes 03-25-2006 06:24 PM

hmmm, I was just going to mention her protein amounts!! I use a protein whey powder and blend myself a nice whipped frothy shake with milk. It adds approx. 22gr of protein. There is no way I could eat chicken breasts all day to "up" my protein. I also thought about yogurt, cottage cheese and cheddar cheeses.....do you eat any of these? Just a thought..... Fruit is good but often too sugary, but you could mix it with some protein. A sliced apple with a 1 T of peanut butter is great, or apple with a mozz. cheese string.

cool90 03-25-2006 08:41 PM

I now weight 160 pounds and I'm only 1,68 m approx. (5 foot 5 I think) which is a lot. I walk at a fast pace 20 minutes four times a day. I also do some sits-up and push-ups usually while watching t.v. I sometimes do like two or three sets of 30 push-ups and 50 sits-up. I'm able to do 50 push-ups(on knee) in a shot, 6 on arms and about 100 sits-up, it's my max. I used to go to the gym to do an hour of stationnary bike but I don't anymore but I play sports like basketball once in a while for fun. Overall, I am in good health : heart beat of 60-65 approx. and blood pressure of 112/68. Except I have exercise-induced ashtma that starts right after I exercise. As for being anemic, I don't know. My doctor ask me about that too (if I have once been anemic) the answer is I don't know. How can you tell if your anemic or not ? And I also tought my headaches could have something to do with hypoglycemia but when I checked it the other times few hours after waking up without eating breakfast it was normal ( 5,3 mmol/l) and I think if I was hypoglycemic it would have been way below this number.
Hope it helps!
Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Bonnie Lass 03-25-2006 10:18 PM

(I'm gonna run through these a bit, as I'm almost out the door running madly into my weekend ... And I won't be back until Tuesday, so apologies)

Usually a simple blood test can tell if you're anemic or not. I know that vegetarians do have a tendency to be slightly more anemic than carnivores :) such as myself. The next time you're at the doctor's, maybe asking them for a simple test at your next check-up would be advised. (Even if it's not causing your headaches ... Veggies tend to deprive themselves of protein and iron without realizing it.) The tired and weak thing may be a good indication of possible anemia.

My maintenance caloric intake is something like 1600 calories. That's not trying to lose weight, just what I would typically burn in one day. The lowest Jillian says to go (and common sense would dictate) is 1200 calories a day, for dieting purposes. This is based on my weight/height and overall level of activity. I'm 5'5, weigh around 146lbs right now and when I did the test, I did nothing even remotely active. Not even at work.

Also, maybe you should up your caloric intake by 100-200 calories. I'd say b/c of your fitness, height, weight and activity level, a maintenance calorie value of 2,000 (average) is right for you. That being said, instead of dropping to 1,200, I'd drop down to 1,400 calories a day.

You're still eliminating 600 calories a day ... Which is 4,200 a week and should equal out to just over a pound a week, not including exercise. If you feel weird about actually increasing your calories, then try my other two suggestions first, then try the calories thing.

So, after all this posting, my suggestions are:

1.) More frequent meals. If this doesn't work then
2.) Mix up your ratio of protein-fat-carbs and still then
3.) Up your calories. I know you probably hate the idea, but with your level of activity and the headaches and being tired all the time, it may be a good idea. Better to up the calories than continually 'fall off the wagon' and then beat yourself up over it.

You're making good (great) food choices, so don't feel guilty if you have to eat a little extra to feel full.

Okay, I'm done. I hope all of this helps somehow :) (Didn't mean to be so wordy.)

--B