3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing-184/)
-   -   Questions for Jillian Michaels re: Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing/67247-questions-jillian-michaels-re-winning-losing.html)

petra65 11-20-2005 02:37 AM

Peppahmint, she posted a "before" picture several pages back. You'll have to do some scrolling but it's there.

OzLoserToBe 11-20-2005 05:21 AM

SmartButt thank you so much for the support I appreciate it more than ever.

I'm not use to demanding things. I sent an email to the casting director, firstly I assured her that I was capable of handling the pressure you have to face in the public eye because at the audition I kinda broke down a little when asked why I wanted to be on the show. I don't think it was that bad but it was more than anyone else. Anyway my father had a minor stroke on the Wednesday afternoon so prior to the audition on Friday I had basically spent two stressfull days in the hospital. BTW he's doing so great, it's amazing. He should make close to a complete recovery. She was already aware of what had happened. Then I told her that I understood that they were trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle and maybe I wasn't the piece they were looking for but if a selected contestant pulled out then I would be a capable and willing contestant with a moments notice. I think I was a little passive, perhaps I have to push even harder.

Then peppa posts the "your dreams are your dreams because they are your destiny", we're behind a few weeks here so I hadn't heard that but that is exactly how I feel. I know it's destiny, I know it, just not sure if I have to make destiny happen. :cheer:

chimo2u 11-20-2005 06:33 PM

Hello Jillian

Hello Jillian,
I wanted to let you know that I find you absolutely beautiful, and extremely inpirational. I am working hard to get in shape because I have the goal of joining the Canadian Army by this summer. I am taking a sensible approach to weightloss this time... Focusing on Running and Lifting to gain the strength needed for basic training. I have 41 more lbs to go to reach my goal weight, but at least the scale is moving in a downward direction for the first time in my life!! I am currently 35 (almost 36) and I want to get this journey accomplished before I am to old to truly realize my dreams/goals. I want to give the army at least a good healthy 20 years!!! :) One area I am really struggling with is trying to perform Full Male-style military pushups. I seem to be so weak in this area. I try and build strength by doing counter-top pushups, but I can never seem to get the strength needed to progress. My goal is to eventually (within 6 months) perform 10 perfect pushups. Any advice/ thoughts you could shed on this to help me progress towards the strength I need to accomplish my goal would be so appreciated. I refuse to give up and I will keep working towards my goals!! I can't wait to finally find your book in a store here in Atlantic Canada, because everytime I look you are sold out!!! A true testament to how many people admire and respect your advice. Thanks for taking time to read and hopefully respond to this.
Keep up your great work, and thank you for being so caring and down to earth in taking the time to truly connect with us, even though I imagine you are extremely busy.
I patiently await your reply,
Sncerely,
Marie :wave:

NavyNerd 11-21-2005 07:56 AM

Jillian: Not a question. On the last epp of BL that aired here (AUST) when you were upset at the loss of Mark, you didn't like Losing the boys.They're not lost.
Thanks you to they've found themselves. I know how hard it must be to see them go but thanks to your help they've come a long way in such a short time, especially mark. There's no value you can place on that kind of impact.

Our thanks to you.

tama25 11-21-2005 10:01 PM

Jillian:
I have not got your book yet since I dont see it in my Target store. I am currently doing Atkins and weight is comming off. Do you agree w/ low carbing? Is it dangerous? I also wanted to tell you, You are so awsome! You and Bob make the Biggest loser show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love watching you guys, havent missed a week yet!

mommy2aliya 11-24-2005 11:54 AM

Quick Question

Hi Jillian,

I am a huge fan of the BL and you are absolutely the best. I have your book, but I have not started your program yet because I have not been able to fully get through the book yet. I have an almost 4 year old at home so personal time is not at a premium in my house. I did take up running back in June and with the info I have gotten from your book I have managed to lose 3 pounds in the last few weeks.

Anyway here is my question, I just recently found out that I am pregnant with #2 and I am a bit confused as to where to go from here. I know I can't continue to cut calories to lose weight and I can continue excercising as long as I don't overheat too much, but what should my caloric intake be? Should I be eating enough calories to maintain my weight with gradual increases thoughout the pregnancy? I really don't want to gain ton of weight that I just have to take off in 9 months. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ida

MrsJim 11-24-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2aliya
Anyway here is my question, I just recently found out that I am pregnant with #2 and I am a bit confused as to where to go from here. I know I can't continue to cut calories to lose weight and I can continue excercising as long as I don't overheat too much, but what should my caloric intake be? Should I be eating enough calories to maintain my weight with gradual increases thoughout the pregnancy? I really don't want to gain ton of weight that I just have to take off in 9 months. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ida

Ida - I'm not Jillian but just wanted to say congratulations :carrot: ...also have you asked your OB/GYN about diet and exercise during your pregnancy? He or she might have specific instructions for you...

Also - I see that you're new here...wanted to direct you to our Pregnant/Nursing subforum here at 3FC...check it out ;) definitely worth a look!

mommy2aliya 11-24-2005 01:13 PM

Hi Mrs. Jim,

Yes I am pretty new here and I didn't know there was a pregnancy/bf section. Thank you for pointing it out to me. As for the OB/GYN I am in Canada and here you usually don't have your first appt until 12 weeks. At least that is what happened when I was prego with my first. I guess I am not sure if I should make any changes starting right now or if they can wait until 12 weeks. I will check out that other board and I have also ordered Runner's World: A guide to running while pregnant.

Ida

Looking4TheWayOut 11-26-2005 03:42 PM

I missed any drama that was here so can't address anyone personally, but wanted to apologize if it seemed I was being rude or controlling. So, I apologize. Thank you Oz for PMing me also. Good luck getting on the show and I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

nybor7 11-26-2005 03:53 PM

Question/comment for Jillian

Jillian,

First let me tell you that I admire that you take the time to answer questions here, thank you.

My question is about exercise with injury. On the show we see knee injuries, back problems etc. I have back problems(as do many overweight people I imagine). Besides walking what would you recommmend as a good exercise that is easy on the back. Swimming is already on my list.

Thanks in advance,

Robyn

Sexytink 11-26-2005 03:54 PM

Hi Jillian

Big fan. You are great, my hubby loves you too :rofl:

Question, I just started working out today and I started off with a mild walk around the block....I walked about 45 mins about a block and half.

I have problems with my lower back and thought it was unusal for my back to start hurting while walking? Is this normal? Is it because I'm not used to working out? You'll never guess where the pain is.....In between two fat rolls....OH GOD..I said it..Fat rolls.....lol

Any ideas on how I can work on this? I also get the pain if I stand for a long period of time, kind of like when I start to hunch over is when it hurts....And boy does it hurt...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much
Jen :hug:

ps..just noticed nybor7's thread below me....lol.....same question....LOL

Maureen L 11-26-2005 10:32 PM

Hi girls,
If anyone can give me some encouraging words I would really be grateful.;)

I need to lose 25-30 lbs. by March as my son is getting married, and I thought I could do it easily.So much for thought!!

However in the last 3 weeks I have only lost 1 lb. I am getting really discouraged.:(
At this rate I am only going to lose about 5 lbs.

I started Jillians suggestion of a 40-30-30- balanced oxidizer weight loss plan. I got the "Formula 40-30-30" diet plan and have been faithfully following it.
Before that I was eating lower calories. I've read that I need to increase my calories. So for the past 2 weeks I increased my calories to a little over 1400 calories. ( I'm not used to eating that much food on a diet) I didn't lose anything...maybe 1/2 lb. but that's about it.

I joined the gym 2 and 1/2 weeks ago also and I talked to the trainer and he took my weight and measurements and told me I should be eating over 1500 calories just for my body to function ( I am 5'4 and weigh 164 and am 52 yrs. old) and that any weight I lose would be from my exersizing.

Well, I have been doing the circuit of weight lifting for3 days a week about 1 hr each time. plus I usually do 1 hr. of cardio 5 x a week at 85 percent
heart rate.

I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I don't want to give up, but shouldn't I be losing faster? .:?:

Am I being too impatient???
Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

MrsJim 11-28-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maureen L
Hi girls,
If anyone can give me some encouraging words I would really be grateful.;)

I need to lose 25-30 lbs. by March as my son is getting married, and I thought I could do it easily.So much for thought!!

However in the last 3 weeks I have only lost 1 lb. I am getting really discouraged.:(
At this rate I am only going to lose about 5 lbs....

Well, I have been doing the circuit of weight lifting for3 days a week about 1 hr each time. plus I usually do 1 hr. of cardio 5 x a week at 85 percent
heart rate.

I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I don't want to give up, but shouldn't I be losing faster? .:?:

Am I being too impatient???
Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Maureen - you might want to ask the same questions at our Ladies who Lift forum which you can find here ==> http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80 Mel and Meg, who are also moderators here at 3FC :) are around your age and are certified personal trainers as well. I bet they'd have some good insights for you...

It's true though that as us women get past 40, it's not as easy to shed fat, but that doesn't mean it CAN'T be done! You might want to check out the book Body for Life For Women by Pamela Peeke - this book is broken down into age groups and explains the weight loss challenges for each. (you can probably find the book at your library).

Personally for me, 1500-1600 calories a day is maintenance level (that is WITH an average of 90 minutes or more in the gym each day, BTW). But everyone is different...KWIM?

Maureen L 11-29-2005 12:45 AM

Thanks Mrs. Jim, I'll post it there

sammydc 11-29-2005 10:08 PM

Hi Jillian

Thanks for the words about stretch marks!! that's a great way to think about them as I used to cover mine ( I have lots from pregnancy).

so when do we get to see the picture? ha ha

sriddle78 11-29-2005 11:58 PM

Jillian,

You looked beautiful on the season finale tonight!

I am so thankful that you offer your wisdom on this site. I am hoping maybe you can offer some advice my way.

I am 5’4” and 338 pounds at 27 years old. My highest weight was 360. In the last few months, by eating until only satisfied and exercising, I’ve lost 22 pounds. Obviously I have a lot to go. My problem is that I keep sabotaging myself. I know most of it is emotional issues like loss and abuse (for which I’m in therapy). My mom died when I was 12, my father was verbally and physically abusive, and my uncle was sexually abusive. I also lost my other “mom” (my grandma) a few years ago. I have been overweight/obese my entire life. Occasionally, I have lost 20-25 pounds, but ended up gaining them back after I started succeeding.

I refuse to fail. I have been a warrior and succeeded in so many other areas of my life beyond my crummy circumstances. Have you ever had someone like me who just can’t seem to stop sabotaging him or herself? Am I just not saying the right things to myself? I am hypercritical to myself, for sure. I know it’s from years of mental programming during my childhood and adolescence.

According to your test, I am probably a fast (maybe fast-balanced) oxidizer. I am also positive on the niacin test…I turned the color of a strawberry and got very hot. I know what foods make me feel good (eggs, dark meat chicken, etc, green veggies, etc.) and which make me feel horrible (wheat especially). I just can’t seem to put it into practice.

Can you offer any advice to me? I want so badly to be healthy, fit, and vibrant. It’s not about looks; it’s about health for me. I am also going to be entering a Masters degree program to become a physician assistant and want to “practice what I preach.” I just can’t seem to get past the point of sabotaging myself. When I’m doing really well, I’ll keep thinking about stuffing myself with food. I know this comes from years of stuffing myself numb due to emotional issues.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. And, as everyone else has said, you rock!

Shannon

Andrea31 11-30-2005 03:55 PM

I have been lurking for a long time and I just had to say something. I cannot thankyou enough jillian for taking the time to answer everybody's questions. You are an amazing, inspirational person and you looked amazing last night on the show. I cried tears of joy for all the contestants on the stage, they all looked absolutely wonderful.

I have to wait until christmas morning for your book but I have been learning a few things here and there:^:first thing christmas day I am sure I will be LOADED with questions.

Much respect to you and all the great people on this board! Keep up the good work! :ebike:

Erinbear 12-02-2005 09:55 PM

I just saw this site and joined right away after seeing Oz from the Biggest Loser board on here (seeing Jillian posting was a plus, too).

A bit of a background on me...in April of 2005, I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right knee. At that time I weighed 234 pounds (I am 25 yo and am 5'6"). My doctor told me straight out that if I didn't lose weight, I'd develop arthritis in that knee, if not the other also.

From May 1st until July 1st, I lost 20 pounds by dropping my caloric intake. I then hit a huge plateau and could not get under 214 pounds. I knew what the problem was, but was not motivated at the time (sabotaging myself). I then watched the first episode of the Biggest Loser (by chance, happened to be visiting my parents). The moment I got home after the episode, I joined the BL message board. The next day I became captain of the "Green" Team (we had so many members join that we needed to extend to a third team).

Well, because I was a captain, I felt accountable. Therefore, I exercised at least 45 minutes a day, drank 80 oz of water, and watched what I was eating. I went to my nearest Waldenbooks and made them order Jillian's book..I had to have it right away! By November 1st, I was down to 193 (lost another 21 pounds!):joker:

Then, I had teeth pulled (5), had my B-day, had thanksgiving, and here I am plateaued again for one month. I was at 193 a month ago, got up to 198, and am now back down to 193. :devil: I hurt my knee 2 weeks ago, but just signed off on my physical therapy and no longer have restrictions to exercise. I started my new desk job this last Monday (I work with 25 other women who LOVE to bring homemade goodies in every day ~ but I've avoided that like the plague). I just need to get back into exercising!!! I'm sorry this post has gotten so long, it is just that I am finally feeling motivated again.

I am going to start working out on Monday (I mean strength training per Jillian's book...I go on the treadmill 30 min before I head off to work) at the Fitness center at the hospital I work at...(huffing out breath) I have gotten so much farther than anyone thought I would, I CAN'T GIVE UP NOW!!

~ErinBear

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tra...4/150/193/.png

OzLoserToBe 12-02-2005 11:12 PM

Hello

Fancy seeing you here Erin. :wave:

I didn't know you were captain of the green team, I bow down in your presence. You are doing a great job, now listen to your ticker... keep going... keep going.. :)

Michelle1210 12-02-2005 11:20 PM

does jillian still post?

Erinbear 12-03-2005 06:38 AM

*holding a sceptor and wearing a tiara*

Hey, that works just fine! LOL j/k I finally figured out how to get my picture as my avatar (I can be kinda slow).

Okay, well I just ate my kaboom and milk, now I am off to work ;o} Talk to ya laters!

~Erin

Elizabeth A Fournier 12-03-2005 09:33 AM

Weight loss buddy needs help

I have started an exercise and diet program with my friend. She is 350 pounds and in a scooter. She is very limited to the exercises she can do. Her leg muscles are very weak because she has been in her scooter for 6 years now. She is determined to lose the weight but doesn't know what exercises to try at first. Are there any baby steps she can take to try and strengthen her legs and lost weight or is it hopeless because she is burning no calories in that scooter? Thanks for the help.

KCMcD 12-03-2005 10:50 PM

Jillian,

I just found this site tonight & in 58 posts (I went back & read them all) you have fired me up! Will you be on Season 3? :yes:

God bless you girl,
K.C.

P.S. Your "fat" pic is too cute...I think I had the same dress back in those days!

SunnyKells 12-04-2005 01:14 AM

Quote:

does jillian still post?
She is probably just very busy! And with all these questions, she might be scared away for life :p

Buckigirl 12-04-2005 07:48 PM

HI New to this site!

I have been lurking around these sites for a few days and trying to get familiar with the site! I recognize some of the screen names from another site :balloons:

I have to say, I love Jillian's book! I have applied the information from Jillian's book and had great success! I love that she keeps IT REAL........and tells you like it is! I loved the self section! Jillian you Rock!!!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

BethG2 12-05-2005 07:54 PM

Hi Jillian :-)

I just got the book and I am a fast oxidizer. At 20/50/30 do you know if the South Beach cookbook would be a good idea (modified for fat, I suppose). It seems like everything I currently cook is a sandwich, wrap, or pasta. If not are there any other cookbooks you could suggest?

Thanks!

sammydc 12-06-2005 08:02 AM

Hey everyone

just wanted to let you know (most probably already do) but there are a lot of articles on line that Jillian has answered questions in. I did a google search and found several.

Thought it might help someone - I can send links if anyone wishes

sammy

kathyhegg 12-07-2005 06:30 AM

Hi Jillian,

I've just finished reading all the posts here, and thank you for all your answers, you and BL are truely inspiring. So I'll be off to look for your book by the end of the week, and the dvd's, but do you know where here in Aus that they may be available?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Kathy

chick_in_the_hat 12-07-2005 12:38 PM

Kathy - The other Aussie chicks can tell you for sure - but I think some of them ordered from Amazon. (and then waitied with varying degrees of patience. :p )

kathyhegg 12-07-2005 05:51 PM

Patience! Who has patience...lol. Hmm, I'll check out Dymocks, they are usually pretty good at getting books in.

Jaylizbet 12-07-2005 09:14 PM

Hi Kathy

I'm on the NSW Central Coast and I got a copy of the book from Borders yesterday. I'd say that any good bookstore would be able to order it in for you tho. I haven't seen the DVDs anywhere (but then again I haven't been looking either).

Hope this helps.

Jayne

Daisy Boo 12-07-2005 09:21 PM

Hi Kathy

I ordered my book through amazon about a month ago when it came out as I know that it takes a while sometimes for them to be on the shelves here.

I just checked Angus & Robertson online and the book is there at $45.

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/pro...60845465&db=au

Hope this helps.

kathyhegg 12-07-2005 09:57 PM

Thanks Daisy and Jayne.

kathy

sunflower1972 12-07-2005 10:02 PM

Hi all, just new to the forum here tonight. thanks to my friend Buckigirl for saying sign up!! Wish I had found this site at the beginning of my journey in Sept:)
I just have to say I LOVE JILLIAN. Her book got my behind moving and has been key to my success so far:)
Sunflower

caroldiem 12-08-2005 02:13 AM

Inspirations - all of you

:carrot: I love these carrot things

Hi Everyone i'm new here. I am another aussie from sydney australia, I have read every post in this thread and it hsa been so inspirational for me. This place is so motivating.I bought Jillians book from amazon.com

Ozlosertobe In only cost me around $25 australian how come you guys paid so much more?

I can't wait to get the book, I'm buying new sand shoes tonight, I already go to the gym unfortunately not frequently enough but that will change.I just want to be really fit and healthy when i go on my huge Europe trip next year.

Food is my enemy, I overeat so much, i eat when i'm not hungry, I just love to eat.

I know when i come home now insteda of going to the kitchen i will come straight here read all yoru wonderful posts taht will motivate me to not go to the fridge.

Hope your all well

cs

pinkyakabb 12-10-2005 08:39 PM

what Book????

"Dear Patty - They sold out of my book at Walmart??? YAY YAY YAY... ok - so sorry I need to have a wildly obnoxious moment. "

are you talking about YOUR book or the Biggest Loser book?

I went looking for YOUR book but didn't find it and I have the BL book but would also like to get your book if you have one

thanks

Pinky

ledom 12-10-2005 08:58 PM

Pinky, yes Winning by Losing by Jillian Michaels. FABULOUS book!

petra65 12-10-2005 09:38 PM

Elizabeth-this is not really my area of expertise but your friend may want to try some kind of water exercises first. It will give her a chance to build some muscle tone and endurance without a lot of joint impact. I'm sure Jillian will have some more ideas when she has time to answer questions.

Gardenwife 12-11-2005 02:12 AM

I second that about water exercises; they're easy on the joints and give a heavy person a marvelous feeling of freedom of movement!

KCMcD 12-11-2005 11:18 AM

Jillian...please come back!

I feel like I got to the party too late! :dunno:

Jillian :drill: please come back!

We miss you! :mrsclaus: