The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #256  

I borrowed Jillian's book from the library and it really changed my thinking on things. The part I liked most was calories in vs calories out. How simple is this, and yet I have gone low carb, low fat, points, etc. etc. So I am trying to stick to the calories in vs calories out, because it just makes so much sense! So thanks Jillian!

Ok anyways, on to my question. Even though Jillian has not been here lately, I'm hoping someone else can help me out.

Ok, I got my heart rate monitor and I'm exercising at 85% of my max heart rate which is 220-34(age)=186x.85=158. Am I doing this right? The thing is I feel like this is too good to be true. I only have to walk at 3mph on a slight incline to be at this rate and I don't feel like I'm working out hard enough. I don't feel like I'm going to die at this rate. I'm sweating, but I'm not sweating like they do on the show. So is this right? Am I working out hard enough? I used to try and run and I always felt like I was going to give myself a heart attack. No wonder I avoided the treadmill like the plaque!

I just don't want to be wasting my time. If I'm going to work out, I want it to be worthwhile so I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #257  

Auer~j,

Your calculation in regards to your heart rate is correct -- 158.1 is the correct number.

Keep in mind that if you're following Jillian's protocol, you need to maintain that rate for a straight 50 minutes.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:41 AM   #258  

thread bump.
Hey Jillian I fixed my knee, well sort of. I started doing more stretches and now I can bike ride without getting it tightening up on me. It still hurts a bit now and then, I haven't tried a run yet but I'm hoping to get into training-I have an athletics carnival in a few weeks so I might have a go in a few events.
I keep meaning to get to a doc but I've been really busy.
BTW, is it physically possible to lose 3% body fat in a day or did my scales go nuts? It was really hot but I stayed reasonably hydrated (2-3 litres water), I was carrying a 30 pound backpack too, who needs a gym when you have school
Old 02-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #259  

So, I might have gotten in on the back end of this, but I hope not. I have read your book & thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm just confused on a few things. How do you know what the glycemic load of a food & also figuring the fat content/% in a food. I'm a fast oxidizer (thanks to PCOS) & am trying to figure this all out. lol
Old 02-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #260  

Default Hey, um yeah. Hi all :)

So,
I finally got myself to a doc, who reckons I've roughened the cartilage behind my knee, so I'll be going to a physio for some rehab exercises. Which is probably what I should have done ages ago
Loving the show Jillian, I think Adro will do well, pity the red team got elimination 2 weeks running though
Old 02-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #261  

Red face

That 85 % heart rate you're talking about you maintain it doing aerobic exercises ? Which kind ? I do one hour bicycling a day but I hardly get to 85 % of my heart rate. Most of the time the higher heart rate I'm able to maintain during an hour is 75 %. Can you help me on that one ?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #262  

Can you increase the resistance on your bike, that will get your heart rate up higher if you maintain your speed. Another option is moving your arms while you're riding, punching them in the air or something. Of course unless we're talking about a stationary bike that's probably not a good idea.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #263  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

85% is pretty hard to maintain for a whole hour when you are starting out. Jillian does recommend that you work your way up to it. I think she says you should be able to carry on a conversation during your workout.

As for how to get there, if you are on a stationary bike - try not sitting down. Oz gives useful pointers as well. HI OZ!!

If you are riding outside - ya need to find hills!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #264  

Smile Hi, new here

I'm not sure if this thread is still very active. G-d I hope so.

I have wanted for so long to tell Jillian, man, you have changed my life. As a recovering anorexic, your book has shown me how to take care of myself. I keep your book in plain view, so on the days I don't want to eat, I see you staring back at me.

I have started a fan club for you on MySpace.com at http://groups.myspace.com/jillianmichaels

We have all discussed and can't answer ONE question. When is your birthday, and how old are you? I'm guessing 30...maybe. I'm 28

I hope someday to help at least one person as much as you have helped me. AND kicked my butt with your DVD's
Old 03-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #265  

First of all I'd like to thank you Jillian for so thoroughly kicking my butt. Between your DVD's and book, most days some part of my body is sore. But no pain, no gain right? Anyhow, on to my question. I am definitely seeing some muscle development in my legs and arms, but is is more pronounced on my left side. I think this looks funny. I thought about just doing more weight & reps on the right side, but am not sure if I should. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks a million.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #266  

hi, I wanted to respond with this helpful link about those struggling with heart rate monitors. I use this wonderful program called cardio coach and it is all layed out on his site. http://www.cardiocoach.com/aboutQSG4.php

If you are working at 85% it will be a struggle to talk, maybe you need to reset your resting heart rate. Check out coach Sean's page it has really good advice.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #267  

Default build muscle in your arms

Hi Jillian,
I'm a 18 years old girl and I'm wondering what is the best way to build my arms at home and back without involving any work-out machines. Does push-ups work for the arms ? If so, how much should I do and how often a day? Right now, I can do about 50 push-ups in one shot. I need other exercises for the arms because push-ups use only one kind of muscle I think. (triceps or biceps) And can I get well-defined muscle like yours by doing push-ups or do I have to like eat tons of proteins and calories ? As for the back which exercises should I do ?

Thanks.
P.S. If Jillian can't answer this, can someone suggest me something ?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #268  

Default jillian's age

AmyMohio777,

you were wondering how old was Jillian Michaels. If my sources are right, she's 31 years old.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #269  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool90
Hi Jillian,
I'm a 18 years old girl and I'm wondering what is the best way to build my arms at home and back without involving any work-out machines. Does push-ups work for the arms ? If so, how much should I do and how often a day? Right now, I can do about 50 push-ups in one shot. I need other exercises for the arms because push-ups use only one kind of muscle I think. (triceps or biceps) And can I get well-defined muscle like yours by doing push-ups or do I have to like eat tons of proteins and calories? As for the back which exercises should I do?

Thanks.
P.S. If Jillian can't answer this, can someone suggest me something ?
Check out stumptuous.com - there are all kindsa hints about working out without going to a gym. Another great source is Jillian's Book Winning by Losing - she has a whole twelve week workout program spelled out for you in there.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #270  

Default having strong headaches

Could somebody tell me why I'm having strong headaches like in mid-morning and before supper. I feel so dizzy, I feel like sleeping ( can't study or concentrate) but it can't be because of a lack of sleep ( I sleep for 9 to 10 hours a day). I'm always really really tired and having really strong headaches and it happens like each day. I'm so tired of it. I eat like 1500 calories a day and eat healthy things, try to cut down on sugar. If I eat, my headache disappears for a while. I don't want to eat like an apple or nuts like each two hours. What's happening to me ? What causes this tiredness and headaches ?