The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #16  

I think doing it by % really evens things out the bodyweight problems; it might even favor the smaller person because they need to burn more calories to heat themselves.

Doesn't anyone remember what a disaster Mo was in season I? Using fatter women wouldn't help although it might be helpful to use ones with more lean bodymass.

I suspect men are going to have a hormonal advantage regardless of how you set it up unless you have some sort of handicapping formula. Testosterone helps you burn fat and estrogen forces you to store it; that is a major inequality in this contest.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW
I think doing it by % really evens things out the bodyweight problems; it might even favor the smaller person because they need to burn more calories to heat themselves.

Doesn't anyone remember what a disaster Mo was in season I? Using fatter women wouldn't help although it might be helpful to use ones with more lean bodymass.

I suspect men are going to have a hormonal advantage regardless of how you set it up unless you have some sort of handicapping formula. Testosterone helps you burn fat and estrogen forces you to store it; that is a major inequality in this contest.
Good points - I remember that last year SO many people felt that Mo might have been cheating because his losses were so small in comparison to the others and what was expected of him. My personal opinion in retrospect is that it was harder for him to move in the first place; he had a LOT of learning to do about eating the right things (I remember his menus had a lot of turkey bacon in there at first...) and this was all new to him.

He's looking pretty good on the Biggest Loser website though...

My thought is that just like last year's finale, the show's producers have at least one 'spin' in mind - the home page says This season, the focus is not just on weight loss, but on adopting a healthy lifestyle...so stay tuned
Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #18  

Mo is on a 3,500 Cal per day "bodybuilding" diet? No wonder he is still so big. I am 6'4" and probably do a lot more lifting then Mo and I am aiming for 1,500 Cal a day.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

I worry too that if the game becomes a competition against each other that the men will vote the women off one by one.

It sure was NOT fair to have the men vs. the women at all....
I posted this on the other thread, I didn't realise there was a thread open for men vs. women...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
I know I'm not a math wiz but I disagree that it should be men against women, the percentages for the men will always be higher in my view because men just lose weight faster period. ...
This is a very interesting thread...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW
Mo is on a 3,500 Cal per day "bodybuilding" diet? No wonder he is still so big. I am 6'4" and probably do a lot more lifting then Mo and I am aiming for 1,500 Cal a day.
Yah I saw that too, and thought it must have been a typo or something...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #21  
Empress/Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
... I'm sure I don't have to say this to the older chicks here but statistically, the younger you are, the faster you tend to lose weight. ...
Sad, but so very true. Sigh.

I'd just enjoy watching the journey of an older person or two amongst the younger ones. As to whether they could keep up with the workouts (I'm not sure this was mentioned by you, just posting a general comment from here on out), I know some no longer 20-30-something (to say the least) people who can kick **** in the workout department (me, included). Also, they mention each week that the workouts are individually tailored by physicians for each contestant, so it would seem age would be a part of that tailoring.

I'd love for them to have a 400-plus person on there and for that person to really succeed and win the big money AND keep the weight off.

Still, I like this show. It's actually the only TV program I watch, other than the news.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #22  

I don't think the "survivor" aspect of voting people off really adds to the show. Maybe they shouldn't vote people off each week, but instead reward the winning team (more cash and prizes) and the biggest loser on the losing team? It would still be a competition, but wouldn't be as mean spirited.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #23  

I think the rest of the girls should take a laxative 5 days before weigh in and then drink a gallon of water a day to fool the scales so they can get their numbers up. Yea, it's kind of cheating, but hey...the show did'nt start out fair to begin with.....
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined Gal
I think the rest of the girls should take a laxative 5 days before weigh in and then drink a gallon of water a day to fool the scales so they can get their numbers up. Yea, it's kind of cheating, but hey...the show did'nt start out fair to begin with.....
I sure hope you're kidding! That's not cheating but it's a little ... I sure hope that's not what you do because it's very dangerous and can lead to binging/purging or anorexia! It can screw up your metabolism and other things that are just too numerous to mention, plus it's not the subject of this thread. Anyways IF the girls would stoop to doing this, I think they would be caught on film like Matt was caught binging during the night!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #25  
Work in Progress

Personally I think that most overweight women are beautiful, so I don't quite see the point of saying that they are choosing only beautiful overweight women......I say bravo for them putting 200-300 pound women on television in the first place....

My theory is that women in their 40's are less likely to be able to leave their lives for so long (each weigh in is 10 days apart I heard) and also I think that they are more resistent to having all of america know what they weigh...being in that group 40+ to be specific, I am not likely to disclose my weight as part of prime time....

Now I don't know if I am right, and would not even argue the point, but I do think that it is a different perspective..... I wonder how many 40+ 300+ women actually applied...

In any case, I love the inspiration, got Jillian's book and hopefully will have some time to read it this weekend!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:32 PM   #26  
Uber-Moderator!!

I didn't check to see if this was mentioned before...but I think at least ONE reason for the big weight losses on week one was the giant pigout they had prior to the initial weigh-in - just the weight of the food in their digestive systems (not to mention the sodium etc causing water retention and the resulting extra weight) would have tipped the scales big time...

I know on the first show they waited ten days for the first (weight loss)weigh in but I think that was just for that one time; as far as I know, they've been a week apart ever since. Most likely the first day at the ranch was on a Wednesday - I get the idea that they weigh in on Saturday since the rest day is supposed to be Sunday (and that's the day they use to decide who gets eliminated).
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #27  
Puggy Balboa

I just wanted to say that I also think it is unfair to have the men against the women. Isn't it just a fact that men lose more than woman?

I would have liked mixed teams. I also don't like the vote offs. I would love to see all of them lose right along, but compete against each other for the final big prize. For me, the prize would be losing and in a controlled environment.

Also, I know for me, I could lose easily in my 20's by making only a little variation. I'm approaching 35 and until Jillian's book, I would lose 1 pound a week and be like, "Wow, 1 pound!"
Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #28  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

I agree, I would have liked to have seen mixed teams again this year. It's seems having men vs women, they are more isolated. It's like they don't really socialize with one another. Atleast I haven't really seen much socialization between the men and women. Jen was shown talking to the guys, but she got voted off. I think the others feared her realtionship with the men. The women seem to fear the men. I am anxious to see what is going to happen on Tuesday night. It's going to be 90 minutes.