The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #16  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Hi there, I'm watching the show too and it's OK so far.

They are basing the weight-loss on a percentage rather than the pounds themselves, it's possible that you missed that part.

You're so right though..it WOULD be completely unfair if they did it with pounds alone!

xoxo
Linda
Old 09-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #17  

Cool

I agree with you all on Kathryn and Mark -- he should be the next one booted off. I really liked that they supported Jeff during the balance test. That was a pretty nasty frisson between Jillian and (can't remember his name). I do wish the women would stop bawling. That's really annoying. They seemed to have tried to be fair in recognizing in the weight loss differences between the men and the women but it does seem to be more difficult for women to lose weight even with all that exercise. I have been in a medical fasting group for the past 7 weeks and have lost about 32 lbs. One man, who started out at about the same weight as me, has lost 60 lbs. in the same time frame. grrr.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #18  
banned

why did jill freak out so much? im still not gettin it yet
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #19  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

On the home page of their website, they have a clip of Rubin. (early elimination) He has lost so much already. He looks WONDERFUL. Very inspiring.

They are gonna have more and more injuries if they do everything at this much intensity. You can't go from couch to 200mph in a few weeks time. Although I admire their spirit.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 PM   #20  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I have mixed feelings about the show. I hated the free-for-all binge-fest in episode one. Yuck! And that bloke goading the woman to eat on the challenge in the last episode really turned me off. I know that ultimately it's a competition (with a whopping prize, to boot), but nevertheless, the way he behaved was below the belt, IMO.

That said, and though I think I preferred season one, I'll still be tuning in each week to see how they all get on.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #21  

I was wondering if its safe for Jillian to work those really heavy men so hard, I mean so much running and jumping and stuff. The one guy fell down, screaming in pain. Isn't that hard on their joints, this impact?
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #22  
Downsizing Dee!

Dawnyal, your post is exactly what I would have written - I agree completely.

~Dee
Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #23  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettastone
I have been in a medical fasting group for the past 7 weeks and have lost about 32 lbs. One man, who started out at about the same weight as me, has lost 60 lbs. in the same time frame. grrr.
He's also exercising about 5 hours a day!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #24  
soon to be hot momma

Personally I think Jillian is pushing a little too hard these are very big men and have little or no exercise in how long then to race for a sprint against her a bit much if you ask me! I was also ticked that they set the women up for dissapoinment and failure for the weigh in by giving them an extra day like who cna burn 3500 cals in one day I hope the show gets better cause right now Im not liking the stratageys!!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #25  
prepare for the BEST time

I'm sure we're not seeing everything involved, the sprint was like a 2 minute clip, how many times do they stop the film? I would think they have a sports medicine orthopaedist and physical therapist (along with a cardiologist) as part of the medical team and give them constant monitoring. cast members who drop like flys don't make for good TV.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #26  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

The binge in episode one really turned us off...What was WITH that woman licking the chocolate from the fountain? I know she'll never live that down - made me cringe for her.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #27  

Something I don't get, and tell me if I'm just having a brain fart here, but when they gave the ladies an extra day to workout before their weigh-in, doesn't that now put them at a disadvantage with the men for the next weigh-in, since the men will now be one up on them?

Beverly
Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #28  
prepare for the BEST time

I think the team that wins the challenge next week will have control over who sits out the weigh-in...they only weigh in even numbers....so winning next week will be a big strategy. If the girls win they get to chose (they would probably pick the biggest man who seems to lose fastest), but if the guys beat the girls and they have the extra person they would chose who is losing slower)

or I might be completely clueless too!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #29  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Marbleflys, the teams are even now, so everyone's weight will count.

Beverly, I agree: the women will be at a disadvantage because they will have one day less than the men. Honestly though, I don't think it will matter enough.

The guy that Jillian was so pissed at was Nick the comedian. I definitely believe he is trying to sabotage his team mates so he can rise to the top. He's next on my list to go!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I wish they let people know just how unhealthy the people are in the beginning. I mean yeah they all look fat, and they showed them binging, but I think it would be good if people could see more of the medical reasons (rather than social) why being that big is so harmful. Are you telling me none of those people were at or near having Type II diabetes? All of the must have high BP. Most are probably on multiple meds.

I remember from last year's show when Gary won a challenge and received a visit from his wife. The first thing she did was ask about his asthma(sp?) and high BP, and all this other stuff. It was a big emotional moment when she found out that ALL of his health problems were gone. THAT was inspirational. You could see how excited both of them were.

I think more people need to realize that obesity doesn't just create social problems like not looking fit.