The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't think Anna is a good trainer for the show; I agree she seems to be too soft and nice. I think the older group being with her are going to have a tough time..they might have been better with Bob who has experience with how much to push older people. Dolvett might have even been better for them since he's an actual personal trainer... this is probably Anna's first time training people to exercise and coaching to lose weight.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I agree with Ennay's hubby...I thought Ana was put on the show as "eye candy" possibly to get more males to give the show a chance. From what it sounded, she doesn't have any personal training experience and she is WAY too soft. When the one guy wanted to leave she was just like "okay, bye," there just doesn't seem to be any fight in her. The thing about Jillian is she was so passionate and was fighting just as hard for her team as they were fighting for themselves (or harder at times). Bob has that and the new male trainer seems to have it as well, but Ana doesn't seem to have that, or at least not yet. Maybe it will come out of her...but I question if she even has the knowledge to get the oldies team where they need to be to drop the big numbers.

There seems to be so much stacked against the oldies team that it doesn't seem fair. They have the inexperienced trainer and they have all the physical issues with being older working against them. Ana needs to step it up or they will be picked off one by one.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #48  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I've been thinking about this more. One thing I really wished they would've done LAST season was pair of Bob and Jillian each with a new trainer. Then the new trainers could've learned the tricks of the trade from them. Ultimately, I still don't think Ana is doing horribly but she's definitely got the hardest job there and probably could've really used the experience from Bob or Jillian.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #49  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm sure Bob is sharing some of his knowledge about the show process with the new trainers this season, along with the behind-the-scenes support crew of trainers, docs, therapists, etc. He was quoted last season saying that he and Jillian sat down with the new guys and chatted about how they did things on the show.

I definitely agree that Anna has a tough job training the older group. I know that contestants of all ages have done well on the show, but the older women especially seem to lose weight slower than anyone else on the show. She's just so darn sweet I want her to do well....even though I fear she might be a little too soft on the contestants when they need a big push.

I'm actually really looking forward to this season after watching the premiere. I think there are some really interesting contestant stories that we'll hopefully get to see and I think that Dolvett and Bob could be a killer combo for the show.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #50  

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to keep watching this season just to see more Dolvett! He seems like a great trainer and I like so far how he is handling his team during workouts. I want to see what kind of support he gives them when the personal stuff comes into play as the competition continues. Bob and Jill were great at that because they had the experience.

Hopefully Ana will toughen up a little. She seems a little uncertain of herself.

The age-based teams are an interesting new thing... At first I thought it was SO unfair but then think on past seasons and older people have done SO well... I'm liking the new elements so far!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I like Dolvett a lot too...but I cannot remember his name to save my life!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #52  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Looking like it's a going to be a great season.

Are there any articles about the pre weigh in buffet? I googled it several times and can't seem to find anything?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #53  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

ooooh and them ladies from the "older team" are FIGHTING! REOWWWW! hahahahaha
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #54  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with all of the comments about Anna - she seems like she needs to step it up. But she does have a few things going for her: 1) Because she's new to training she has a lot to prove, but that may mean that she'll be willing to learn from her mistakes and work harder and 2) She seems to genuinely care about her team and has an emotional connection to them(could be a good thing or a bad thing actually, depending on how you look at it).
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #55  
~Kim~

Just watched last nights episode. I have to say that Ana still isn't proving anything to me. She just doesn't have what it takes to be a biggest loser trainer. I'm not just saying that because the blue team lost the weighin again, it's because of the way she interacts with them. She just doesn't know how to push and inspire them. Oh well.

Black team is getting annoying already. Two weeks of watching Antone break down and cry like a baby is enough for me. And John is just a big jerk.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #56  

Height: 5'5

well I watched my first episode last night.

I really like the new guy. He seemed like the right combination of tough and tender. And he's not so hard on the eyes.

Bob really dissapointed me and usually I love him. He seemed to be channeling Gillian's nasty side. Does anyone really think that yelling at someone and pushing them so far they fall off the bike really serves any purpose?

Didn't watch much of Anna's training but it seemed pretty lax.

Of course they could just be editing it to look that way.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #57  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

It has been interesting that Dolvett is getting the most positive edit of all 3 trainers. I think Bob doesn't really care about how he is portrayed at this point - I thought he was going to leave when Jillian left but maybe this is his last year?

I am still not sure how I feel about Anna - I think aside from the age, she just has an unmotivated team except for Becky and Mike. I am not sure if either of the other trainers would have gotten much more effort out of Johnny and Bonnie. But it looks like being home was the right thing for Johnny, he looks great and definitely seems very happy.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #58  
focused and aiming

My only complaint about Dolvett was his harping to the Red Team about their losing the competition for the 2 pound advantage. I thought he was being very negative about something that had already happened and needed to show a more positive attitude. Other than that--I like him.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #59  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarget View Post
My only complaint about Dolvett was his harping to the Red Team about their losing the competition for the 2 pound advantage. I thought he was being very negative about something that had already happened and needed to show a more positive attitude. Other than that--I like him.
I dont know. For some people that might be a bad training technique but it is often a good technique with a younger crowd. I saw it more along the lines of building the expectation that on this team less than 100% at all times is unacceptable. We WILL win every competition, we will never grow complacent.

I thought they were shaping Bob into miniJillian as well but not in how he yelled - he's done that before, but in how he tried to be all Dr Phil psychoanalytic about the whole thing.

So ....some twist will happen next week to prevent the blue team from being decimated.

Last edited by ennay; 09-28-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #60  
focused and aiming

Maybe so. I thought they did their best on this competition. I may be wrong though. Thank you for your post.

Last edited by ontarget; 09-28-2011 at 06:11 PM.