The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #31  

I voted for Koli. Daris will be gaining it all back in short order.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #32  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
I voted for Koli. Daris will be gaining it all back in short order.
If I had to bet on this I would completely take the opposite bet. Daris will get this under control. He loves running and once he gets a bit of balance he will figure it out. Koli will have no motivation once the confetti is gone.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #33  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

The thought of Nuclear Hair (I will affectionately call him NH forever ) being gay never crossed my mind ... but then again, I am a person who never assumes gay/straight/bi unless it is very obvious and screaming right in your face (what I have in mind is certain mannerisms of gay guys [although not all of them do that] like the "limp-wristing" (that what a gay son of a very good friend of mine calls that - and it's funny that he himself hates it).

I actually wondered, when I saw Michael and Ashley phoning each other and addressing each other as "shortcake" and "babe" if there is perhaps another romance budding ... they seem to be very good friends already so it could be a good spring-off board for a relationship. I would like the idea of the two of them together.

Hmm, gotta corner my BF and ask him how come he never calls ME a shortcake ....

Last edited by Tomato; 05-20-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #34  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Although Daris did turn to emotional eating, I do think his training impacted his weight loss.

I did a half marathon earlier this year and although I didn't alter my eating, my weight loss slowed considerably.

I had to smile when I heard Michael call Ashley 'shortcake' as that's my husband's (also named Mike) nickname for me. In fact, here's a pic of him holding the signs he made to cheer me on at the race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ingmike.jpg (30.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #35  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh, and if I have to hear Koli mention the confetti one more time, I think I will scream. If I was to place a bet, I'd say he will be one of those who regains the weight after the show - and motivation - is over.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #36  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I followed the show for about three seasons -- my first season watching was the season of Evil Vicky and Heba -- but somehow it lost me this year.

I tried to become fond of some contestant or another, but none of them inspired me the way Tara had in her season. And so I just gradually lost interest. The things about the show that had always grated on me really started bothering me. The embedded ads. My worries for the contestants' safety & health. The game-playing. I think I became less starry-eyed about Jillian, too, as she began hawking her supplements & other products on the side.

And I didn't crush on any of the guys. I liked Sam probably the best, but sometimes I did want him to just shut up for a moment. I do wish Daris well, but -- I never claimed to be really deep about TV show personalities -- something about his nose still bothers me, no matter how much weight he has lost. Michael's just a little too much of a doofus.

Ashley seems nice, but her personality never attracted me in the early part of the show.

The problem with this show is my usual issue with reality shows. The Nicest Person and the Person With the Most Interesting Character Arc aren't always the people who are left standing at the end as the most astute gameplayers or the ones who have lost the most weight. I want them to lose a lot of weight but I also want them to be likable, even heroic. In short, I want a fictional character, and reality shows just offer your everyday fallible people.

I can find heroines & heroes comparable to the Biggest Loser contestants all over 3FC, only they didn't lose their weight or become athletic on a ranch in a matter of just months & with celebrity trainers screaming at them while they puked over the side of the treadmill.

The main value of this show for me was watching fat people become athletic, and seeing them working out hard while still fat. It made the gym safe-looking for really fat people, when I had once imagined that the gym was reserved only for really fit people, and thus got me into one earlier than if I had put off joining till I was acceptably slender.

Last edited by saef; 05-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Exclamation

Exactly my point, life isn't fair and people will vote for who they like better and fairness doesn't come into the picture.

If Daris wins, IMO, that would not be fair IMO but since fairness has nothing to do with it, probably he will get the votes as he seems the more popular of the two men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Well, fair or not fair, it's a VOTE. There is no fairness in votes. People will vote for who they like better. Not everybody is looking at it the same way we do.
Besides, let me tell you what I have witnessed many times - I am on a greyhound mailing list and often people enter a picture of their dog into a contest, and then they ask publicly on the mailing list that everybody votes for their pooch. Sometimes you look at the pictures and the number of votes the individual "contestants" have and it's clear people are pulling all sorts of string to their dog to win. You can see pictures with more or less even % of votes and then there would be one where numbers are sky high, I mean ridiculously high. It's like posting on Facebook "please vote for my dog" etc. (and it's not that greyhound people are crazy, other breed people do the same thing - cat owners probably too).
There will be people who will vote till their hands fall off. It has nothing to do with fairness.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 05-20-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #38  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

The more I read this forum the more I hope its Koli. I started to not like his attitude at all...but then I remember 1. this is a game no matter how much we all want it to be about the journey its a game (its like people going on survivor and then being shocked when they get lied to and backstabbed(....and 2. you gotta believe you are champion before you can be champion. Koli is walkin the walk of the winner. I'm not really sure what the big deal is that he went off to focus on himself. Everyone else had the opportunity to do the same.

I really liked Daris till this last episode, and I still like him. I'm so impressed with his athleticism. But I dont think he's the biggest loser. Hes got mental issues that he hasnt conquered, and because of that I totally agree with the others who have said he's gonna gain it back. If he cant get his mental demons figured out, the running isnt gonna matter. He proved that with his 2 lb gain.

Im still rooting for Mike!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

So if Mike wins the whole show...he'll most likely be a winner that's still overweight or obese. Has that happened before? I haven't seen all the seasons...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #40  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post

I had to smile when I heard Michael call Ashley 'shortcake' as that's my husband's (also named Mike) nickname for me. In fact, here's a pic of him holding the signs he made to cheer me on at the race.
Hah! I LOVE your husband! Great cheering signs! Please give him a kiss for me.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post
Although Daris did turn to emotional eating, I do think his training impacted his weight loss.

I did a half marathon earlier this year and although I didn't alter my eating, my weight loss slowed considerably.

He's so adorable!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #42  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
So if Mike wins the whole show...he'll most likely be a winner that's still overweight or obese. Has that happened before? I haven't seen all the seasons...
No, usually the winner looks sickly skinny. Alot of times the men winners are really muscular.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #43  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I betcha mike will be both over weight AND look sickly skinny. The dehydration the contestants have been doing the last few seasons is insane. i mean you know they weigh back stage and the on stage weigh is for show and they still dont rehydrate enough to not look haggard. Or in Jerry's case (at home winner), retain brain function.

Heba came closest. If she hadnt been voted off she would have won that year and I think she was still borderline overweight although she lost a lot so maybe not. Maybe it was just the clear lack of bra that made me think so.

Wow. I am catty this morning. I should put that energy to good use and clean my house.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

I thought the same thing peanutsmom!!! it's because of that phone conversation they had. =0)

Also, the Daris gaining weight because he trained for a marathon thing made perfect sense to me and i was very frustrated that their trainers, with all their expertise, couldnt grasp what had happened. He probably did all the things a normal weight marathon training runner would do including carbo loading the day before. He didnt have the necessary knowledge to know how to train like that and still lose/avoid binging. I know from experience that working out really hard and long CAN instigate a binge. They should have been properly educated ahead of time because most info they are gonna find online about hardcore marathon training is NOT going to assume they have a goal of weight loss.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

if Daris makes it he doesnt have a chance of winning the show. he is so skinny already. better for koli to make it so that Daris can vie for the at home prize.