The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #46  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I had never seen a premiere episode so this season was my first and it was boring BUT I know it'll get better as the weeks go on. I'm really hoping Corey gets a chance to get on the ranch. My heart went out to him when he fell 2x during that run.

Sitting there watching them I knew there was NO way I could run a mile at my weight either...I thought that was kind of unfair. I mean...people audition, they're selected, they should just be on the show. But that's my 2cents.

Right now I'm rooting for Corey to be back on and Ada to make some changes. Her story really touched me. I cant imagine being blamed by my parents for the death of a sibling. It was nice to see her brother there supporting her.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I am excited to tune in tomorrow and see how the first week at the ranch goes...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #48  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I thought it was another boring episode last night. I'm hopeful that it'll get better. So far none of the conestsnts are a favorite - they all seem like a bunch of whiners.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #49  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I haven't watched last night's ep yet, so I'm basing my comments on the premiere...I, too, am hoping to stay on board for the entire season. I've been on 3fc for like ten years and am still struggling....and I read this entire thread every season too, but never comment!

I loved the first ep! I did get attatched to some of the contestants already and the constant sad stories got to me, maybe I was in a mood that day. The woman whose daughter got sick and anorexic because she didn't want to be like her mother....sighhhhh. just broke my heart. And I think Jessica is so BEAUTIFUL... That hair! Her face! She is just gorgeous. I can only imagine they can ruin her on the makeover show. lol PLEASE DON'T CUT HER HAIRRR! I'm terrible with names....the blonde soccer mom type, reminded me of Julie (?) blonde soccer mom from a couple seasons ago.

I made the same comment though, the ones who didn't make the show were probably the ones that needed it the most. The big African American guy with the son really got to me, as did the guy with the dreadlocks.

I also took a shine to one of the guys that made the show, now I can't remember anything about him!!!! I just thought, mark my words, this guy is going to be a cutie. My memory is getting foggy, I'll have to look some of them up....Looking forward to a great, inspiring season!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

I think it would be great if the ex girlfriend of Brendon (Brandon?), the guy who pushed away the love of his life when he began to get heavy, watches this show, sees how much he is haunted by the loss of her, and goes back to him if she has not started a relationship with someone else yet. He clearly is still in love with her. It would be a great "Hollywood moment" if she sees this show, understands why he did what he did, and goes back to him.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #51  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simona View Post
I thought it was another boring episode last night. I'm hopeful that it'll get better. So far none of the conestsnts are a favorite - they all seem like a bunch of whiners.
I agree.

And I was bummed because the women typically can't put up huge numbers like the guys can, so of course a woman was going home last night. And I'm frustrated with that one guy turning it into a men vs. women game after giving the immunity to Patrick (?). There's more, I was irritated with Alison when she said something along the lines of being the lone woman able to hang with the guys to that one lady. What can I say, little things bug me.

That's how attached I am, I don't even know their names yet. I hope it picks up. And I hope the women aren't picked off one by one. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if a man were to win, I just don't want it to be a man vs. woman thing resulting in what Jillian called a "sausage fest" lol
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I think Patrick will be a cutie, especially with that Southern accent.

Not attached to anyone else, really. His name just stuck out to me. I watched more of this episode than the first one. Not "hooked" yet.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #53  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Could this week's episode have been any more disgusting? I thought for sure someone would already have brought that up. I'd HATE to be some of those contestants and watch back some of those horrifying moments. The guy on the treadmill with the nose issue? Ew! Ew! Ew!

And I think it's quite unfair that all the women fell below the line. That's not fair, obviously. I was hoping that would show BL that there needed to be some other measurement system.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #54  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I was suprised too about all the women falling below the bottom line. I do like the change of being able to save yourself, but I hope that it is not the trend.

as for the gross out factor youp, way yucky but it makes a point that these people push themselves and keep going. good for them. I really have no opinion of these people yet but I like the guy from boston (go home team) (snot guy) I just felt like he was real this week.

I also liked that the girl who went home was able to cut the tie with mom who is clearly not a good supporter of her daughter. I loved that she reached out to find her support system.

So GO ALI!!! I think she really wants this and is finding the inner strength to do it. I was worried that she mentioned 5 months, I am not a fan of losing for a specific event although I know people do it all the time...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #55  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I'm starting to really have a problem with the Biggest Loser. It's really sad to see people crying because they "only" lost 12 lbs, and not only be sad that they might go home - but disappointed in themselves. And, honestly? There is NO reason for people to be working out until the puke or fall off a treadmill or faint - NO reason. The trainers really should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know if I can hang in with them this season.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #56  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I'm starting to really have a problem with the Biggest Loser. It's really sad to see people crying because they "only" lost 12 lbs, and not only be sad that they might go home - but disappointed in themselves. And, honestly? There is NO reason for people to be working out until the puke or fall off a treadmill or faint - NO reason. The trainers really should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know if I can hang in with them this season.
My husband and I were discussing this. It sends the message that weight loss has to be hard and it simply does not. I am achieving the exact same results...just in more time. And I bet I won't have the same struggles they have to keep it off.

I'm all for working out hard, don't get me wrong. But to the point where they are throwing up or don't care their nose is leaking on national television? That's insane and probably just plain wrong.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #57  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Remember Corey . . . the guy from Portland that collapsed during the mile run in episode one? The Biggest Loser sent him to Fitness Ridge. http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser...corey/1251826/
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Interesting about Corey. I'll have to check that out.

What about the two gals who got into it during one of the elimination races. Did the dark-haired girl push the blonde on purpose? What do y'all think? To me, it did not look intentional. Sorry I don't have the names down yet, either.

I was glad to see that Bob and Jillian were allowed to each make one "save" and bring a person to the ranch.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

glad they did something for Corey, I felt bad when he fell when trying to run the mile I thought maybe he'd have a chance on the show later.

noone is really standing out to me this season. maybe Allie since when she was sent home and she asked her family for support but instead there was chocolate right there when she came back, but she continued on anyway. so I'm hoping she succeeds. it's a bit inspirational to me since I can relate to not having support at home.

the way they bring up the one guy losing the love of his life makes it sound like maybe something will happen later, maybe reunited?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #60  

Some of you seem to forget that women have been the BL as many times as men. Since it is based on % and most of the men have much more than the women to lose, its fair as it can be. You could say they should have different divisions for age as well. What they are doing is fine. Did you ever notice most of the women are great whiners and then men just get it done.