The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I loved the moment when Bob had to put on Michael's wieght and felt bad for Jillian having to eat Taco Bell. Just looking at what she had to eat was making me sick. Poor Jillian! I've been following a clean eating lifestyle for a while now and will never go back to that junk. Ewww! For Bob to actually feel the weigh that Michael lives with every day might just help him help Michael better. Michael is the one contestant who, I feel, after 1 week has put total faith and control in Bob and Jillian's hands. He's my pick to do really well this season!

Seeing Jillian work with Maria in the pool to over come her extreme fear of water was so touchingly sweet! That's the side of Jillian we don't see enough of. I know it may have been too early for such a big push, but, in my opinion, Jillian doesn't know how long Maria will actually be at the ranch, so my guess is she needs to make as much of a breakthrough and impact as possible while she is there.

What I hate though is the game playing. The wife of the red team throwing a weigh in because they had immunity this week! By doing that, she is throwing away an opprotunity that thousands at home need and would jump at! She needs to be more focused on losing and learning as much as she can at the ranch to make going back to reality a smoother transition!

But, seeing the preview of next week's episode showing Bob getting all worked up at another thown weigh in has anxiously awaiting!

Ever notice how much hotter than normally hot Bob is when he's all worked up?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #77  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I don't love the red team. First of all, they are at a much better advantage than the others because they are the smallest people.

I don't think they'll be there long. Especially if they don't have immunity in the coming weeks. It's sad that others will be sent home that need the help more. IMO, the red team is there for the money. Nothing more.

ETA: Jillian was so over doing it on the Mexican food stuff. It wasn't that bad. Well, it looked gross because it was cold and congealed, but it wasn't vomit inducing, lol. But didn't they take all the people to a Mexican restaurant last season...

Last edited by Nella; 01-13-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Usually when people throw the weigh in, it's by water-loading to up their pounds, not by eating like crap for the whole week. I think it's reasonable and if you don't do it when you're immune, you risk not having a great week and going home the following. If you have false water weight on the week before masking your loss, it adds to your next week's "loss" even though you lost the weight before the previous weigh in. That aspect of game play seems sensible to me, as it allows you a longer time on the ranch. I don't like people who are nasty and pit people against each other, but a little water loading to ensure you have another week there seems not to be the most terrible thing.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #79  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Just watching TBL now on the DVR and feeling sad for the white team...I think that Mike/Michael will end up being the dark horse when we reach the final, that he'll look quite dashing. I think he's handsome now and will look really great when he's at a healthy weight.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #80  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

that woman hella smashed her face on the deck!!! that was the first time i ever watched the show...i think its a little condescending...i thought that was taqueria food and not taco bell...jillian was rude to call it crap...maybe its just cuz im mexican, but i found it offensive...those nachos would have been really good if they werent so soggy,,,just sayin!!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #81  
On a mission!

Yeah, there's a way to make Mexican food healthy (I eat it regularly).

I think it's crazy to me that the red team wife who is 215 pounds looks so SMALL to me.

I can't wait to be that size. I have about 100 pounds to go to be as small as a TBL contestant. That's sobering.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #82  
On a mission!

I agree 100%
It's a GAME, like it or not, it's a game and using strategy to your advantage makes the most sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
Usually when people throw the weigh in, it's by water-loading to up their pounds, not by eating like crap for the whole week. I think it's reasonable and if you don't do it when you're immune, you risk not having a great week and going home the following. If you have false water weight on the week before masking your loss, it adds to your next week's "loss" even though you lost the weight before the previous weigh in. That aspect of game play seems sensible to me, as it allows you a longer time on the ranch. I don't like people who are nasty and pit people against each other, but a little water loading to ensure you have another week there seems not to be the most terrible thing.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin Jenn View Post
But, seeing the preview of next week's episode showing Bob getting all worked up at another thown weigh in has anxiously awaiting!
I think it's the Red team again. Because this week she was +1 to get to 215 and the preview for next week shows the new weight as 214 and the loss as -1
Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #84  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Is it just me, or does the White Guy have HUGE hotness-potential? I think he's really cute! Oh, and funny and caring (with his mom). He's gonna make some lucky lady very happy someday. Unless of course he goes all cocky with his newfound hotness

Last edited by 299lbs; 01-14-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #85  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Re: water loading. I think what bothered Bob was that people were doing it to play the game (for legitimate reasons), but claiming it wasn't game play. At least the red team pretty much admitted it. Heck, I would have done it - makes total sense. You have immunity, so water load a bit and save that (real) weight loss for the next week when you'll need it. Just be honest about it. Everyone knows what's going on.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've got no problem with the game play. I would've done the same thing if I couldn't go home. And on the Taco Bell thing...I totally understand Jillian. I couldn't stand the look, texture or taste of Taco Bell food when I was bigger, and can't bear to eat it now either. I've been forced to try something off the Fresco menu once, and it was rough. Just something about it. And that's FRESH. I can't imagine if it was old, cold and congealed.

I think the red team's being smaller than everyone else is actually a disadvantage. Isn't it harder for "smaller" people to lose weight? Like, as I lost weight and became smaller, I had to work out more, count calories closer, etc., to keep up with the gains. I actually like them a lot.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 299lbs View Post
Is it just me, or does the White Guy have HUGE hotness-potential? I think he's really cute! Oh, and funny and caring (with his mom). He's gonna make some lucky lady very happy someday. Unless of course he goes all cocky with his newfound hotness
100% agreed
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #88  
traveller chick

S/C/G: 80/79.5/65 (KG)

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella View Post
ETA: Jillian was so over doing it on the Mexican food stuff. It wasn't that bad. Well, it looked gross because it was cold and congealed, but it wasn't vomit inducing, lol. But didn't they take all the people to a Mexican restaurant last season...
I think the main thing is that Jillian is always promoting this food without hormones and chemicals rather than fresh mexican food
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I think the red team's being smaller than everyone else is actually a disadvantage. Isn't it harder for "smaller" people to lose weight? Like, as I lost weight and became smaller, I had to work out more, count calories closer, etc., to keep up with the gains. I actually like them a lot.
Well I think it's an advantage in the challenges. And if they can keep getting immunity they don't need to lose as much (from the game play point of view).
Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
Well I think it's an advantage in the challenges. And if they can keep getting immunity they don't need to lose as much (from the game play point of view).

Game-wise I do agree it's an advantage. I've always kinda thought that with these shows. Like when Orange-team Danny (right name?) was first on TBL, he was so big he couldn't physically compete. I knew he wouldn't last long.