The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Thank goodness for DVR. This is one of the most over-produced shows on tv. I too am sick of the overacting with Jillian and Bob. I think it's great that the show has inspired people, which is the sole reason I watch it. And the inspiration comes from the contestants -- not Bob or Jillian anymore.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #47  
Token Vulcan

I'm not crazy about the overuse of the profanity but I'll still watch the show. It doesn't even bother me so much that they say it but that the producers/editors choose to hype it. Elements of the show are turned into jokes on the production end...like the effect of the ground shaking when one of the contestants falls or jumps or the spliced in/misleading reactions when the show goes to commercial during the weigh-ins. I mentioned in the TBL Australia on youtube thread that their scenes are so much longer than ours, whereas ours aim for the shock value. I mean, what was played over and over on the gossip shows last season but Bob's tirade on Joelle.

I wonder if the fact that there are no Bob vs Jillian teams this season is something Jillian negotiated for. I wonder if they agreed to some of her conditions to get her to come back but also said, okay, just make sure you play up the drama. Both trainers seemed so disconnected and acting last week. Maybe that changed as they got to know the contestants.

BTW...Alexandra is dating Antoine. You can google it. Now..although his bio says he's single, it makes me wonder who that woman was he was kissing who was holding a baby (during one of his voiceovers). Makes me wonder if he ditched a girlfriend and newborn.

Much as I like having Daniel back, I have my doubts he's going to last very long. Percentage-wise, I think orange team was in 2nd-to-last place last week. Shay is big and is going to have to lose a high percentage. The minute orange goes below, Daniel is gone because he's proven he can do it at home and because Shay obviously needs to be there.

Did anybody else notice when they were showing past contestants, they showed Helen but not her winning moment and went to Tara and Mike? It seemed like they knew Helen went too far and didn't want to show that.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #48  

I think Helen is not going to be promoted like past winners and contestants because she went too far and people just don't like her. She certainly is self-centered. I wonder how her daughter is doing now.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #49  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post

Did anybody else notice when they were showing past contestants, they showed Helen but not her winning moment and went to Tara and Mike? It seemed like they knew Helen went too far and didn't want to show that.
I noticed that too! I do think that Helen went waaaay to far just to win. She looked sickly! I was rooting for Tara to win and when Helen showed up looking like a skeleton I was so angry. Tara looked healthy and vibrant. Helen looked scrawny and haggard.

Looking forward to tonight's episode! I'll be on the tredmill again.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveLHaelf View Post
I noticed that too! I do think that Helen went waaaay to far just to win. She looked sickly! I was rooting for Tara to win and when Helen showed up looking like a skeleton I was so angry. Tara looked healthy and vibrant. Helen looked scrawny and haggard.

Looking forward to tonight's episode! I'll be on the tredmill again.
I know, I was shocked when I saw Helen at the finale. I knew she had to have been starving herself for at least 24 hours with that explanation from her of what she was doing to get ready for the show. WOW

Tara to me was a total inspiration. All she did was tell herself to stay above the yellow line and she did it the whole season. Impressive.

I'd be on the treadmill with ya, but mine died a few months back.

~Suzie

everyone!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

In this weeks TV Guide, they have a small article on Alexandria and Antoine. They're together, and she's lost 70 something lbs so far. They couldn't say how much he's lost, but there is a picture of the two of them, and they look great!

So, can anyone tell me what exactly happened to the woman who went to the hospital? They've never actually said what was wrong.

I liked how they didn't kick anyone off last night.

I loved Tara, and follow her on facebook. Seeing the contestants do a marathon last season, inspired me to start running, and I love it.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I also wondered what was wrong with her...since they didn't ever say, it makes me believe it was some OTHER problem, like a heart defect or something not related to her weight. I figure if it'd been something caused by her weight, they'd have harped on it forever...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #53  
I'm doing it for ME

S/C/G: 317/311/200

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyg View Post
In this weeks TV Guide, they have a small article on Alexandria and Antoine. They're together, and she's lost 70 something lbs so far. They couldn't say how much he's lost, but there is a picture of the two of them, and they look great!

So, can anyone tell me what exactly happened to the woman who went to the hospital? They've never actually said what was wrong.

I liked how they didn't kick anyone off last night.

I loved Tara, and follow her on facebook. Seeing the contestants do a marathon last season, inspired me to start running, and I love it.

I googled about what happened to tracy and as far as i can tell it was heat stroke.. thats all i could find about it anyhow...

julio suprised me last night.. i wasnt expecting him to lose so much.. i figured tracy would lose an okay amt of weight since it was really her 'first' week even tho she isnt in the gym like the rest. i was really happy for them that they made the weight loss they needed and they broke the second week curse
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #54  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

1. shay needs to worry about her own work outs
2.what was the point of giving them the 150 goal if they can do advantages for half the show ?
3.the host allison is so boring i wish that job went to a past winner
4. the product placement in the show is almost shameless
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbarbie25 View Post
1. shay needs to worry about her own work outs
2.what was the point of giving them the 150 goal if they can do advantages for half the show ?
3.the host allison is so boring i wish that job went to a past winner
4. the product placement in the show is almost shameless
Ditto on all four comments ...
Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #56  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I second that Ilene!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #57  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

When Coach mo started pep talking the whole group I got a flashback of Ron x.x I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Ron!

It's so annoying when there is a contestant on the show who can't work out like the rest of the group. I may just be being harsh, but I just get tired of seeing it. Tracy was in the hospital for over a week that's just crazy.

If you guys think Allison is bad, you should have seen the previous host. I can't even remember her name but man was she bad!

I am beginning to see why that Alex chick was angry with Julio though. He doesn't seem to have the much motivation when it comes to working out on his own. That's just how they made it look this week atleast.

This week's episode wasn't as emotional/inspiring to me as the first episode was. The phone calls home were touching, and I'm glad they won the balance challenge, but that's about it.

I miss Tara, lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Is it just me who is annoyed by tracy? I mean I know people have their limits but she was SO dramatic falling all over the place at the beach, and YES no explanation on why she was in hospital!?!?! She's not as big as many of the other contestants yet she struggled and complained through the balance thing and just seems to be so dramatic.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

and Julio legit makes Robert Deniro facial expressions, haha
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I think they played up Julio's "non exercising". He said at the weigh in that he tends to do it on his own. It obviously showed he was doing something right, to have a large WL this week as well as a decent one last week.

Shay - yeah, she needs to focus on herself and not what everyone else (mainly Julio, but I think she was just pissed that Alexandria was sent home instead) is doing or not doing.

I'm really liking the the blue team. They seem like they have a good partnership going.

I dont think Mo will be Ron Jr. I think that was his coach side coming out.

I'm having a hard time with remembering everyone's names!