The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #481  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Ilene - I was surprised that Alexandra didn't lose as much too. Although she was the first one sent home, so maybe if she had stayed longer, she would have done better. I also though Shay should have lost more. I mean, she did great, but I think she could have lost more.

I love Rebecca. I think she's so cute, but that hair has got to go!! If she is moving out to be with Daniel that's cool! He lives in my hometown, I would love to bump into them somewhere! I still don't get their relationship, but if it works for them, good! Best of luck to them!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #482  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

hmm...Danny and Rudy are wearing spanx, I think.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #483  

nella....its funny you say you dont get their relationship cause I dont either! I never would have put them two together. Its kinda neat to see all of these people hooking up and some getting married. I was beginning to wonder if Bob had a thing for Amanda...hmmmmm
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #484  
I'm doing it for ME

S/C/G: 317/311/200

Height: 5'3

i am really glad Danny won. He just seem like a really nice man and he looks great. Rudy as others have mentioned does look really hot.. who'd a thunk when ya look back at him on the first day?
Rebecca turned me off due to her 'new' personality more than her blond hair did which is really saying something but maybe its just cause it's so diff from the personality she had on the show.
antoine looked really good and when he proposed i thought it was awesome the way their families reacted. you can tell they all like each other and think its great they're getting married..
liz didnt do as well as i hoped, but she seems to have such a depressing life to me.. out there on the farm, isolated, and alone most of the time.
tracy did look a lot older to me, but that seems to happen with a lot of them when they first lose the weight, then they 'settle' into their faces. her body looked great tho.
for the most part, i thought it was a great season and i liked almost every one of the contestants. i'll be glad when the next season starts
Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #485  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm still thinking about the show... Overally, I think they all look great.

What was up with Rebecca jumping on Bob and Sean and wrapping her legs around them?? I still think it's funny that she Danny didn't even look at each other?

Liz did seem to be a little "off", I hope she'll be OK, but you're right her life is kind of isolated at that farm.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #486  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Here's the recap from Jillian for anyone who missed it...

The Biggest Loser: Season 8 Finale

It had been seven months since Season 8 of The Biggest Loser began, and the 16 contestants were back together for the big night — the live finale! This "Second Chances" season was truly one for the record books. We started off with the two biggest contestants in the show's history, Shay and Daniel, and watched Rudy set a new record by losing 100 pounds on the Ranch in just seven weeks! After 154 days spent on the Ranch and more than 1,000 pounds lost there, now was the time to find out if all the hard work and heartache, pressure and pain, and grueling workouts and weigh-ins had paid off. Which of the eliminated 13 contestants would be named the at-home winner and which of the three finalists would be named "The Biggest Loser"?

The Top Three: First things first: we needed to find out which three out of the final four contestants would be vying for the grand prize. Last week, Rudy and Danny had secured their spots at the weigh-in, but the last remaining spot was left in America's hands. Would it be Amanda, the 20-year-old student, or Liz, the 49-year-old grandma, who would round out the top three? After millions of online votes were cast, America chose Amanda to battle for the title and the $250,000 grand prize.

Totally Transformed: To kick off the night's at-home winner weigh-ins, Alison brought out the first four of the 13 eliminated contestants: Alexandra, Antoine, Sean, and Julio. They all looked amazing, and we took a look back at their journeys on the Ranch and at home. Alexandra and Antoine, who are now a couple, shared how much having someone there to support them meant to their happiness and at-home weight loss. (More on these lovebirds later!) Sean, already a proud father of two, shared that he and his wife had welcomed a new addition a month ago and named her Jillian after yours truly! (I feel so honored and touched to have a namesake.) And a dramatically different Julio, 39, who had vowed to be "fit by 40," showed his wife and children that he was a man of his word.

The four took to the scale to start the competition for the $100,000 at-home prize. Alison announced that the contestant with the highest percentage of weight loss — not pounds lost — would be the winner. Alexandra, who was eliminated in Week 1, went first and showed a dramatic drop from 309 pounds to 218, for a total 91 pounds or 29.45 percent. Her boyfriend Antoine bumped her out of the running, however, by dropping from 367 pounds to 215 for a total of 152 pounds lost or 41.42 percent. He held on to the top spot when Sean weighed in, since the youth pastor's impressive 155-pound drop — from 444 to 289 pounds — represented "only" a 34.91 percent loss. Then Julio weighed in and revealed that he'd lost 180 pounds! He went from 407 down to 227 pounds and took the top spot with his 44.23 percent loss.

Tracey Takes the Lead: The next four contestants to come out were Coach Mo, Dina, Abby and Tracey. They all looked amazing — and their numbers did too. Despite his injuries and setbacks on the Ranch, Coach Mo lost 92 pounds and went from 355 to 263, a 25.92 percent drop. Dina demonstrated that she had finally overcome her fear of jumping up onto the step back at home. She went from 253 to 174 pounds and lost 79 pounds for a 31.23 percent loss. Abby put up a remarkable 100-pound loss and went from 247 to 147, a 40.49 percent loss. Having seen her struggle with the loss of her husband and children in a car crash, it was so inspiring to hear her say: "The light inside of me dimmed and now it is back on. I'm a living example that there is hope." Next up was Tracey, the season's most controversial contestant. She started off Week 1 by getting airlifted to the hospital after passing out during a one-mile race. But she proved on the Ranch that she was a fighter and a finisher. She got even stronger at home, and she looked totally transformed at her new weight of 132 pounds, a 118-pound loss from her 250-pound starting weight — that's a 47.23 percent loss! Shay, the biggest contestant ever to compete in the show's history, lost 172 pounds. She dropped from 476 to 304, which was a 36.13 percent weight loss, but she couldn't bump Tracey from the top spot. Neither could Daniel, who had tipped the scales last season at 454 pounds and returned to the Ranch this season for his second chance. He dropped an additional 111 pounds this time around and was down from 312 pounds to 201 pounds, or a 35.58 percent loss. While their weights were great, Dr. H shared some news that was even better: statistically Shay and Daniel had regained 13 and 23 full years of life, respectively.

It was looking like Tracey might make it to the end, until the formerly brunette Rebecca took to the scale sporting a new blonde pixie hairstyle. Now a half-marathon race runner, she knocked Tracey out of the competition by dropping nearly half her original weight — 49.82 percent (she lost 139 pounds and went from 279 pounds to 140). Allen, the firefighter, couldn't beat Rebecca, but he did succeed in losing 116 pounds — he went from 325 to 209 pounds. He was pleased to report that he is healthier overall now, and a better family man too. Finally, Liz faced off against Rebecca. She went from 276 to 176, a 91-pound drop. Rebecca won! Upon winning the $100,000, a tearful and joyful Rebecca jumped up into Bob's arms, then hugged me and the other contestants.

Shay's Surprise: Rebecca wasn't the only eliminated contestant going home with a check. To her surprise, Shay was called center stage, where Alison, Bob, and I explained a new challenge that our friends at Subway had served up just for her. As the biggest contestant in Biggest Loser history at 476 pounds, Shay had earned a special place in our hearts. She is currently 304 pounds and she had acknowledged at her weigh-in that her "journey was not over." We presented her with a huge blank check with her name on it, and explained that she had been invited to the Season 9 finale in May 2010 to "write" her own check. For every pound she's lost by that final weigh-in, she'll receive $1,000 — plus all the Subway sandwiches she wants. She pledged that she'd be down to 204 pounds — 100 pounds — so she can take home $100,000!

Put a Ring on It!: In a very special moment, a visibly emotional Antoine surprised Alexandra by getting down on one knee to propose marriage to her. She said yes! She flashed the ring to the audience after she and her new fiancé kissed, cried and hugged.

Battle to the End: Finally, the top three finalists faced the scale one more time. Amanda dropped a total of 87 pounds and went from 250 to 163 pounds, for a 34.8 percent loss. Rudy, who had met his goal of losing 100 pounds in record time, said his larger goal was being able to live to see his children grow up. He went from 442 pounds down to 208, a 234-pound drop or 52.94 percent loss. But in the end the title, the honors, and the $250,000 prize went to Danny, who had set a record with his double-digit weight loss seven weeks in a row on the Ranch. Danny had started at 430 pounds and weighed in last night at 191 — a whopping 239-pound loss for a game-winning 55.58 percent! This former rock star had a rocking new body and declared: "I've gotten my life back. I feel like a million bucks!" (He also fulfilled Suze Orman's prediction that the contestant with the highest FICO score would win!)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #487  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

i thought rebecca almost seemed manic haha
i thought that about bob and amanda too but it was throwing my gaydar outta wack so i decided that bob sees amanda as the ultimate fag hag....and then i saw her best friend...and i said "yup"! =0)

Last edited by katkitten; 12-09-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #488  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkitten View Post
i thought that about bob and amanda too but it was throwing my gaydar outta wack so i decided that bob sees amanda as the ultimate fag hag....and then i saw her best friend...and i said "yup"! =0)

LOL, I thought the same thing when I saw Amanda's BFF!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #489  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Wow - Danny looked amazing. Rebecca had that same manic behavior that Suzy from season 2 had at her finale, just overstimulated I think.

Tracey looked odd. Her hair has a dull sheen and looks thin. She did an amazing job of getting down to that weight, but she obviously had to compromise some nutrition to get there.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #490  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I thought Rebecca looked TERRIBLE with that hair. And why was she acting so weird? I dont think it even looked like her at all! So strange!

I'm so happy Danny won! What a great guy, he looked fantastic!

Rudy was totally wearing a body shaper.

Tracy looked ack! She was so beautiful in whatever it was we saw her on recently Was it the Where are they now? or just a recap show? I dunno but she looked older and haglike.

Liz looks way older than 49...I'm sorry but my mom is 56 and hasnt taken good care of herself and even she looks younger than Liz. But, whatever I still really liked her! I totally connected with her story.

I didnt even recognize Julio.

And finally, I really didnt think it was smart or fair to give that challenge to Shea. There she is, poor shea, cant lose weight unless someone pays her $1000 a lb?? I think its totally encouraging unsafe dieting practice. And why wasnt that offered to anyone else? What makes her so special?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #491  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

I agree Kimphin... I think she may have gotten a lil manic about it trying to look amazing for the finale.. but probably did it in an unhealthy way.. at least in part because she did not look well...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #492  
Owned by Dixie

I dissagree about shay. I don't want her back on my tv but when they accepted her ther was no way she could win other than losing weight, which is good too. But the money is no big deal to the show and I think it continues the responsability they took on with her. Also it was clear bob and jill want to see her to an end.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #493  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I don't think it was a terrible idea that Shay got more incentive to lose weight. She lost a lot of weight, maybe not as quickly as some of the other contestants but... that's a good thing! Better to lose slow and steady than fast and furious.

Now I have to convince my husband to give me $1000 per pound I lose.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #494  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I mean...Daniel did the same thing - got voted out of his season and had a TON of weight left to lose. Went home and lost some, but needed more help. Only he got to come back for a shot at the BL title AND grand prize, AND at home prize. Shay doesn't get to come back on the show, and this time it's all on her. I like the idea...

And until I see it at the next season's finale, I don't buy for a second there won't be some sort of deal for Erik, the winner who regained all the weight he lost, if he succeeds...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #495  

I think Shay looked a little disappointed about the new challenge. It's almost like she was glad this was over...but then they put this new challenge on her.....maybe now she will try harder. Her husband seemed happy lol......wannabeskinny.....that sounds like a great idea for your hubby to pay you lol