The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've missed quite a few seasons of TBL...have they had any previous contestants who've had some form of surgery for weight loss?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

They mentioned in an earlier episode that when Ron arrived at the ranch his metabolism was seriously screwed up, all his chemicals were off. Then right around the time he finally started losing is when they got his system working again. So it wasnt so much that he was slacking the first several weeks as he was restoring metabolism. Now, yeah, the surgery may help a little, but I dunno. WLS has tricky side effects. More of it might just be he is still a BIG guy and now he is back in gear. Even with injury I bet he is working out a lot more than they show. He probably spends hours in the pool or something and they dont show that.

Last edited by ennay; 04-30-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #48  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I've missed quite a few seasons of TBL...have they had any previous contestants who've had some form of surgery for weight loss?
As far as I've heard and read, he is the first.

I wonder if somebody would pay for him to get the extra skin removed? Maybe Oprah...

Last edited by aangel22; 04-30-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I haven't seen a TBL finale show before, do they usually have skin removal surgery beforehand? Cause Ron could easily lose 20 pounds just in all that loose skin on his chest, but would that be fair?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

No, he's the first, and you would think it would disqualify them from consideration, wouldn't you?

eta: unless the goal is huge weightloss for ratings, and then it works!

Last edited by sportmom; 04-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #51  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
No, he's the first, and you would think it would disqualify them from consideration, wouldn't you?

eta: unless the goal is huge weightlos, and then it works!
Not really. He had the surgery a while ago and was still unable to lose the weight, which is I think the message that is good from his situation. WLS is not some easy cure, you still have to do the work.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

My sister had wls and I can't imagine having that surgery and not losing the weight. She could barely eat anything and if she overate she would have a dumping effect (throwing up). She went from 310 lbs to 160 in about 9 months. I know a few others who have also had wls with the same results. Eventually you can stretch your stomach back out again but never to full size.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I kind of wondered if it shouldn't have disqualified him. I know it's still work even AFTER you have the surgery...if not then it would've worked for him years ago, right? But I'm talking about the advantage he apparently has in the physical sense. He's still here even though he could barely do ANYTHING for some time. He kept losing big enough numbers to stick around and stay above the yellow line. If Tara had done as little physical work as Ron has, she'd have been gone weeks ago. Same for Mike, Helen or anyone else. If it's his surgery that's been helping him achieve the big numbers, then it's an unfair advantage, to me.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #54  
tripping along the path

S/C/G: 286/276/180

Height: 5'6

Here is my big complaint.

It is supposed to be a weight loss show. Yet Ron who has fallen below the yellow line like EVERY time almost....stays to the final four. He did not work as hard as others, in fact it seems he works very little, making me wonder if that gastric bypass is helping him now as his stomach may be shrinking back down. If it was a weight loss show and not a backstabbing game, and if it was REALLY about helping people get healthy....he should have been gone long ago.

I laughed when he said Laura needed voted off because of health issue...all we have heard about all season is poor ron and his health issues.

They voted Jerry off...last season was it or this? because of his health...but Ron stays...and doesnt work...and will get rewarded for it.

I also wonder that Ron didnt let his sons go on the show and instead chose himself....how noble.

Thats my pet peeve...rant over lol.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywinter View Post

I also wonder that Ron didnt let his sons go on the show and instead chose himself....how noble.
I am pretty sure Ron's other son wasn't old enough to go on the show...correct? I believe they have to be at least 18 and he wasn't.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 227/210/150

Height: 5"4

I am a huge fan of Tara...she's just the sterotypical type A personality. She is so motivated, but has had her moments of breakdown.

How many challenges has she won so far? If that doesn't say something I don't know what does. She totally kicked butt this last week on the sand hill challenge, carrying her weight. I was worried at first but she kept her pace and went for it, same as with the car challenge...well every challenge...she focuses on the goal at hand and makes it. I find her to be inspirational.

Mike has changed a bit during the show...I can't put my finger on it...a little of his dad coming out in him?

Helen to me straddles the fence and has the whole show...but she doesn't bother me too bad.

Ron should have been sent home a long time ago as most of you have said. He is devious, I think Mike would have still been around without him...he's pretty sneaky himself...definately playing the kid card from time to time with everyone.

I'm anxious for this week and looking forward to the finale when it will def be between Tara and Mike, no doubt.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywinter View Post
Yet Ron who has fallen below the yellow line like EVERY time almost....stays to the final four. He did not work as hard as others, in fact it seems he works very little, making me wonder if that gastric bypass is helping him now as his stomach may be shrinking back down. If it was a weight loss show and not a backstabbing game, and if it was REALLY about helping people get healthy....he should have been gone long ago.
i have no idea if the gastric bypass is now helping but i do have to give him kudos (as much as i dislike him!), for all of the reasons you mention above - falling below the yellow line numerous times, never winning a challenge (did he?), working out less strenuous than the others, and he's older!

i just can't believe that the contestants never thought to break up the brown team, until it was too late.

i wonder if the contestants win anything for making it to the final 4. and i think ron will be voted off in a landslide after the 30 day episode.

and that whole bit at the top of the episode of bob needing to know if ron instructed mike to vote off kristin. as if ron's going to tell him anything. yes, kristin was bob's best shot at a winner but i still think his questioning was way off base.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #58  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Mike and Ron were the final two somehow?

That would be such a gip though!

*GO, TARA, GO!!!*
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #59  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

You know, I'll bet that Ron doesn't keep the weight off. I think he's too crafty and too willing to "work the system" to get what he wants to keep this weight off. After all, he was able to eat through his WLS, which is, from what I understand, not an easy thing to do. And what I think he really, really wants, deep deep down is a jelly donut. I just don't get a sincere feeling about him at all, based on the last few weeks. I think he was motivated to go on the show to manipulate things to get his son to win.
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Ron to me did not deserve to be still on the show, in his own words, he said Laura needs to go home, due to her bad hip, Ron has so much wrong with his body due to the weight, and it's only the last couple of weeks that he has been losing, and losing big numbers, so I have to wonder, why?? all of a sudden, was this part of his game plan, I don't trust him, then when you over hear him whispering to Mike, about Kristen, nothing is off limits. Even telling Helen and Tara he isn't a threat to them, so let him stay and finish the game with his son. I think the man might just lose all this weight, just so he can make sure it's between him and Mike, then he will let Mike become the BL.

I personally hope it's Tara, taking nothing away from Mike, who by the way has really done an outstanding job, but every challenge it seemed Tara was the come from behind to take the lead and win, and then win big, it wasn't even close a few times, she kicked butt, her inner strength is unbelievable.

Helen to me, has also done a great job, she has worked her heart out, and looks pretty amazing in those jeans, but there's something about her...not too sure she should be the BL.