The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #46  
Its Alana Time

S/C/G: 217/ticker/150

Height: 5'4.5''

I actually think there is going to be more drama on the show then previous years. Last season, if you dropped below and were sent home, you still had a partner there to compete for your team. Now that 9 partners are gone, they only have themselves to worry about. Meaning alliances(that is a given), backstabbing (happens every season), and going all out on any immunity challenges (eating a whole pizza+ so your partner can return might be worth is for them) for the next 30 days. I am willing to bet in the next coming episodes that someone will get immunity, gain water weight, and lose big the next go around (remember neil??) Game play is going to be a huge factor for the show. It seems like now game play is one half of the show and the other is weight loss.

Last edited by starmac13; 01-07-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #47  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Only a few thoughts to share since my husband made me rush through my DVR recording so he could watch the Lakers game

I really liked Carla, not only cause she was the biggest woman but because she was funny and had a lot of sass. I'm totally pissed she let her selfish friend stay there, super excited Bob is jumping her *** next week. (I'm secretly hoping Bob throws the "maybe Carla should have stayed" in her face)

I didn't like the whole "send half the couples home thing" either, but as some others have said, I told my husband when the show was going off that there is probably a huge twist aka secret team thing coming and they aren't going to say anything about it. I'm praying its not Kim... I want to see a new and improved trainer that's not going to be a total *****fest with Jillian & Bob.

So if this is the part where I have to pick who I'm rooting for, I'd have to say Daniel on the Orange team. 457 at 19 yrs old is scary and he really needs the ranch, not for game play, not for this show... he needs it to survive. So until Carla comes back, that's who I'm cheering for.

The one team I really am torn about is the green team (Laura and whatsherface). I think the girl that stayed could have done this at home, but then again I really didn't want Laura to stay cause she'd be a total whinefest.

That's all I can think of for right now... I'll jot other stuff down later if I come up with anything.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 160/149/140

Height: 5'6"

I have not watched all 7 seasons but did follow it pretty regularly last season. It is too much drama for me and no real information. What do they eat? What is their exercise routine? What is up with Gillian screaming all the time? Why is the show a knockoff of Survivor? And can anyone on the show say something besides "I don't wanna go home!"
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #49  

Hereyago - thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #50  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

I agree with you chellez on the green team. one really worked hard the other whine and cried. It's like HELLO what did you expect, especially with Jillian?! I was really surprised that Carla let her friend stay. I am rooting for both teens that are there. And I didn't even think about a secret team when they sent the half home. So maybe they'll do that or set all those who went home up with trainers and the food and let them do it on their own.
It'll be an interesting season I'm sure and I too hope there's not a whole lot of drama.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #51  

Cindy Gail,

If you're interested in their program, Dr. Huizenga has detailed (and I do mean detailed) it in his book, "The WOW Rx". It's really cool -- once I've finished off my supply of slimfast, that's where I'm going. It's two hours of exercise a day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon/evening), heavy on cardio but strenght training, too, along with the generic BL diet. It's what he gave to the at home folks for the season with 50 players.

Barb
Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #52  

A couple of season ago didn't they do the same thing by taking some of the people off then they went to train with Jillian? As much as they stressed how overweight the players were how much help they needed, I think it would be very cruel to send them all home. Besides there were 11 teams. If you divide that into 3 it is 7 players on 2 teams and 8 on the other.

I perosnally didn't like Kim. She was just too much.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #53  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK...I didnt like Carla at all - I didnt like that it sounded like "If you dont bring me back than our friendship is doomed" attitude...especially since Joelle lost more than her the first week. She at first glance seems to be the most likely candidate for Drama.

I really like Daniel - I like his sense of humor and he seemed to jump right in with no whining. I have limited tolerance for whining.

I like Tara, although Laura is pretty whiny

I like the Red team, the blue team and the yellow team
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #54  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Gail View Post
I have not watched all 7 seasons but did follow it pretty regularly last season. It is too much drama for me and no real information. What do they eat? What is their exercise routine? What is up with Gillian screaming all the time? Why is the show a knockoff of Survivor? And can anyone on the show say something besides "I don't wanna go home!"
I agree they NEVER talk about what they eat unless it is a product plug and they gloss over the workouts. I'd love to see less interviews and snark and more of the day to day what they actually do.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #55  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I agree they NEVER talk about what they eat unless it is a product plug and they gloss over the workouts. I'd love to see less interviews and snark and more of the day to day what they actually do.
The cookbooks have a lot of the recipes. The earlier seasons discussed more of the food. And, unfortunately the product placement pays for the show I think, so its not going anywhere. If you notice, its Bob doing more of it than Jillian unless she agrees with the product.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I only saw half of season 3 with Kim and I did not like her. I hope she doesn't return as a trainer.

I too was surprised Carla went home and her friend stayed.

So far I like Tara from the green team and Daniel from the orange team. The two men on the black team remind me of Mark and Jay from season 5. I hope they don't have the early on Mark attitude, though.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #57  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
TBL: Sending 9 people home
Boy, I had really mixed feelings about this twist last night.
What I didn't like:
* These folks really need to be there. The biggest cast ever and you are going to send almost half of them home after a week. Wondering if maybe they shouldn't start eliminations until 3 or 4 weeks into the show so that everyone learns how to do this on their own. Maybe they could fill the first few episodes with lots of challenges.
Agree. Personally, I think, on any season, they shouldn't send anybody home the first week. I think at least let everybody stay 2 weeks and then do the weigh-in. I was thinking even doing weigh-ins both weeks and combine the two for a total percentage but then that just takes up even more time that could be spent on something else...I do think the show drags out these weigh-ins too much for dramatic effect. It takes up close to half the show sometimes.

Quote:
* Was angry because it looked like the producers just wanted to create drama and make everyone upset for no reason.
And that's why I think they keep doing this family/couples formula. High emotion makes more drama.

Did anybody else notice the echo effect they used when Jerry was down and the medic was talking to him? I was thinking, this isn't The Twilight Zone, you've got footage of an old man passed out and you're using special sound effects? They did something similar when that woman fell off the parallel bars...they made it look like the ground shook. I thought that was rather in poor taste.

It also bugged me when Laura started gasping and right away Jillian called it "theatrics." You go from no exercise to extreme exercise and I don't think it's fair to not expect some people are going to have a more difficult time with it.

Quote:
* Even better, they might cut down on some serious Icky Vicky drama by ensuring that those 9 remaining singles focus like CRAZY on bringing their partner back. They won't really have time to start the whole alliance and back biting process if they have so much riding on their shoulders. It also seems like you have some contestants that don't work as hard as others or want it as bad who outlast those that are giving all they have. This is a way to sort out them out early on.
I don't think they want to cut it down. I think, at times, they either initiate it, fan the flames of it, or make sure that we see plenty of it. I read an interview with Season 5's Mark, where he said his group was holed up together a week beforehand to try to heighten tension among them. Last season, yes, Vicky said and did some uncool things...but why did the show not only broadcast so much of it, but even the last couple of shows, when there were signs of "softening" (for lack of a better word)...notice how much airtime was still given to Vicky and the attempt at education, redemption, whatever. And, without excusing Vicky and Heba, I do have to say I am not entirely convinced there wasn't some unflattering Phil footage left on the cutting room floor that might have altered the perception a little. BTW...you know how there was speculation and accusations that Ed purposely gained back those 2 pounds by waterloading at the end? Ed & Heba said he got sent to the hospital with a hernia and they filled up him up with a solution at the hospital. Why no mention of that on the show, if not to give a misleading impression?

The show sets alliances up from the start...from 1) having couples come on with pre-existing alliances and 2) having it set up as Bob vs. Jillian's teams. From that point on, it becomes us vs. them. Then it's up to how the contestants behave under those conditions and how much they get invested in gameplay...and how much of it the show chooses to air and when. Did Vicky behave badly at times? Sure. Did she smirk at someone else's expense...who knows...those shots often look pasted in and repeated. I noticed yesterday, during the second weigh-in, that they showed a shot of Bob supposedly reacting to one team but he was holding a brown shirt in his hands when brown hadn't even weighed in yet, meaning that shot was spliced in from a later segment.

Quote:
If you watched the opening episode carefully for the season preview you can see future challenges where both colored shirts are there in a later episode. Only remember one team because I didn't know about the twist then.
Yep, just like last season. And when Ali announced the twist of one team member each going home, you could pretty much start picking out who was leaving.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #58  

Height: 5'5"

Yes, I am afraid they are switching focus to more of the game playing and less of the fitness and eating detail that tv watchers at home want to see. They spend too much time going on about contestants' emotional crap and not enough helpful advice to achieve long-term weightloss.

I liked Kim, love Bob, and don't care much for Julian. This could just be the way they are portrayed by those editing what we see.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

My friends and family know I am a nut about TBL, so I received this link today:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18428031/detail.html

The Pink team daughter who went home was charged with assault in Michigan for throwing flour at a tenant. Mug shot included.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Trekkigirl

Agree with you. Also the editors are either really doing a sloppy job (brown shirt before brown weighed in) and showing the future challenge with the reunited team or it is mostly planned.

After one episode I am on board with several of you who like Dan. Also rooting for Jerry who doesn't look like he weighs what he does. I think I like the brown team too. Dad who had his jaws wired shut and gastric bypass but still weighs over 400 pounds.

One more link, and I am done for the day. This one shows updates on former contestants. Many that were on a reunion show or Oprah's show, but others that were not.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28449267/

Click on the interactive slideshow on the top right of the page.