The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #526  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Wow, surprised that there was no game play at the vote. Everyone pretty much stayed true to their alliances and didn't send the threat home. Good for them.

But the drama of carrying Laura to the scale? UGH We all know it's not a real scale by now, couldn't they have just said, we weighed Laura earlier today since she can't walk to the scale, and her weight is _____. That was just waaay too much 96 Olympics to do what they did tonite.
lol, ok I didn't know it wasn't a real scale and call me a sap, I thought it was sweet the guys carried her.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #527  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
I am afraid the Max isn't really ready, if he was he wouldnt be waiting for Mike and Ron to get home. I think he might just resent them. I really hope he gets ready to fight for himself
I have a feeling Max ISN'T ready and will resent them. I can't imagine being in his position...skinny little mom, and dad and older brother are working on being thin and healthy too. It broke my heart last night when he said HE's the fat one now. I worry that he'll see how much weight Ron and Mike lost in such a short time and measure any progress he makes at home against theirs at the ranch, and decide he can't do it and quit. We all know it's not as easy at home as it is there....the contestants SAY they know, but they won't really again until they're back at home.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #528  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I have a feeling Max ISN'T ready and will resent them. I can't imagine being in his position...skinny little mom, and dad and older brother are working on being thin and healthy too. It broke my heart last night when he said HE's the fat one now. I worry that he'll see how much weight Ron and Mike lost in such a short time and measure any progress he makes at home against theirs at the ranch, and decide he can't do it and quit. We all know it's not as easy at home as it is there....the contestants SAY they know, but they won't really again until they're back at home.
I completely agree! I would be the same way. It is near impossible to lose 12 or so lbs in one week!!

*Also, I didn't know it wasn't a real scale. Are they weighed and just not told what it is? Their reactions are so real during the weigh in. huh.

Last edited by aangel22; 04-15-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #529  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

fake scale!

It's true!! crazy...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #530  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

If the producers have any sense, they'll get Max on the show next season or whenever he reaches the minimum age requirement. Viewers are definitely relating to him & have a stake in what happens to him in the future.

So I guess Ron's obese son hurting badly at home & Ron's horrific ulcers & bad knees aren't enough reason for him to be sent home ... even though those reasons work for justifying voting off other contestants, like Aubrey & Laura. I am so done with Ron. Please, please, get him off my TV screen.

I'm so glad the makeover removed Kristin's skunk stripes, but what I really wanted was to see on film the consultation between the stylist & Kristin over why, exactly, her hair looked like that & why every female in her family had adopted that style.

Okay, so I'm very partisan. I thought Tara looked lovely after her makeover. And kicked butt in the challenge again, even though she fell over the wire & had to recover & come from behind. Even if she doesn't win this thing, she has been a memorable competitor & has left her mark on the show. (I wonder who holds the record for number of challenges won during a single season.)

Final four: Mike, Helen, Kristin, maybe Tara, if she survives above the yellow line.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #531  

I agree saef...Ron's reasoning last night, while sound, proves he's a TOTAL hypocrite!! He "needs" to be there in spite of all his problems, but nobody else with problems should be? And just quitting the first challenge after about five steps...come ON! If he can't do anything he shouldn't be there. Stuff like that makes me truly believe it's his past surgery that's making him lose now...he's putting out nowhere NEAR the effort of the others, and losing more weight.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #532  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I agree saef...Ron's reasoning last night, while sound, proves he's a TOTAL hypocrite!! He "needs" to be there in spite of all his problems, but nobody else with problems should be? And just quitting the first challenge after about five steps...come ON! If he can't do anything he shouldn't be there. Stuff like that makes me truly believe it's his past surgery that's making him lose now...he's putting out nowhere NEAR the effort of the others, and losing more weight.
Ron's problems and Laura's are completely different, he will always have problems due to carrying all the weight he had. Laura had a very fixable problem that could only be taken care of off the show with PT ect, Ron is far past that part. I am suprised the show would even give her a choice to stay. Rons problems could be worked around, Laura's could not be, it would have only been made worse, Ron's only help at this point is to get rid of his weight so it will stop compounding his problem. Ron said last night he didn't want Laura to go through what he has been through with injury's. If Ron had been about protecting his son last night, as usual then he would have voted of Kristin, who is a threat to Mike, not Laura. I truly believe he had Laura's best interest in mind last night.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #533  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
Ron's problems and Laura's are completely different, he will always have problems due to carrying all the weight he had. Laura had a very fixable problem that could only be taken care of off the show with PT ect, Ron is far past that part. I am suprised the show would even give her a choice to stay. Rons problems could be worked around, Laura's could not be, it would have only been made worse, Ron's only help at this point is to get rid of his weight so it will stop compounding his problem. Ron said last night he didn't want Laura to go through what he has been through with injury's. If Ron had been about protecting his son last night, as usual then he would have voted of Kristin, who is a threat to Mike, not Laura. I truly believe he had Laura's best interest in mind last night.

I agree. Obviously, the much better game play would have been to keep Laura around. I don't always think Ron is genuine, but I thought that last night he was coming from a real place. He knows what chronic injury and pain is like, and wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even if it means keeping around someone who does have the potential to beat his kid, in the end.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #534  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

Height: 5'6"

This is the first time I have posted since I have been watching TBL. I started watching TBL in February when I started losing weight. I was shocked to find out the Cathy & Kristen are practically my neighbors (live within 30 minutes of me). I too get annoyed with most of the contestants. I watch because I love knowing that they struggle like I do. Although most of their struggles are unrealistic in my lifesysle I am just glad to relate to others.

I loved to see Laura's positive attitude after she got kicked off. She was happy that she was maintaining with her injury. She was not upset about not losing. That shocked me after all her tears and whining. I just started seeing a real difference in her and now I really like her. Too bad it had to be because she went home.

I have two questions for TBL followers. 1 - How many weeks are left?

The second question is for anyone who watches - How much more weight can Tara and Helen lose? They both look great and I know they are not done but I keep thinking that pretty soon they are not gonna have anything to lose and end up below the yellow line.

I am rooting for Mike. His dad is not on my like list at all but Mike is different. He is young and still growing into himself as a man. I think this experience is making him a mentally stronger person and he is going to shine. He just needs to step out of his daddy's shadow. He needs to be himself and not the person his father makes him be. I think he will do just that.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #535  

Well, I found online that Tara is 5'9" tall, which is the same as my height. I started at 220 and I'm plenty thin at 140...I know everyone's different...but if she's near 180 (I think that's where she weighed in)...she may be getting close to slowing down. Just depends on her body.

Helen, I don't know...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #536  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I watch the Biggest Loser because I am thrilled to see people like me, heavy and sedentary, discover that they do have some control over their bodies and that they are capable of athletic feats.

I was so miserable in gym class for so many years. I didn't want to wear shorts, didn't want to change my clothes in front of anyone, didn't want to have to run, to balance or be coordinated, to expose myself to ridicule & cruelty from other students. I did everything I could to get out of it, from forging doctor's notes to reusing an actual doctor's note for seven months straight. The best thing about losing weight & becoming active has been rediscovering my body from the neck downwards.

The people on the Biggest Loser may not all have had that same life experience as I have. I know a few of them were former athletes (wasn't Aubrey into boxing? and Dane or Blaine into some other sport?) so they must have relished physical activity at some point. But some of them must have. I love seeing them challenge themselves physically over & over again, and gradually get better & better. I love the idea of accepting incremental progress, over time, rather than thinking that if it can't happen completely & magically overnight, it's not worth trying for.

Also, my TV doesn't often show me people who look like that doing athletic things or attaining achievements. The default on TV is pretty & thin. That's why I keep watching, in spite of the faux scale, the liberties with time & space, the waterlogging, the high school mentality, the gamesmanship, the unpleasantness, the bleeped-out obscenities, the bad hairdos. For me, it's worth it to see a 200-something pound woman shaped like I was once finish a marathon. When I started losing weight at 247 pounds this show helped me feel I had every right to enter a gym, even looking as I did. That was hard for me, with my gym class history. This show made it easier.

Anyway, that's why I stick with watching it, despite my distaste for lame product placement, melodramatic music, prolonged weigh-ins, obviously scripted moments, and recaps that explain what I've just seen to me as if I were a drooling imbecile with attention deficit disorder. I stuck with it through Vicky & Heba. I'll deal with Ron the Godfather. I'm hooked, fortunately or unfortunately. ;-)

Last edited by saef; 04-16-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #537  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

To answer your question Phyxius79, whenever I see Jillian on daytime tv shows like the Today show or Mike and Juliet, etc she says this season was 5 months long so I'm going to guess that there is at least 4 more weeks to go since this was week 15 but there are only 6 players left so it may be less. I think maybe Jill was rounding up when it came to how long the season was. But yea, I don't think there are too many more weeks left.

Last edited by gymlee; 04-20-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: I can't type!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #538  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I think one of the commercials I saw last night said 3 more weeks before finale.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #539  

Yeah...Ron is the face of evil...and after tonight's show I'm convinced his son is just as bad...only sneakier about it. The kid pretty much told everyone at the elimination that nobody else is a threat to him, and with Kristin gone the game is his.

I now hope anyone BUT one of the two of them win...and I don't like anyone that's left.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #540  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

As of tonight percentage lost (current BMI)is as follows
Tara 39.8% (26.1)
Mike 39.4% (32.8)
Helen 37.4% (26)
Filipe 33.0% (34)
Kristin 32.2% (39.4)
Ron 30.7% (40.4)

Last edited by zinkemomx2; 04-21-2009 at 10:39 PM.