The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I think Kathy just gave herself up. She said during the discussion that Aubrey was like a daughter to her as much as her own daughter was, and that she could not vote her off. She said she would rather go home than send one of her 'daughterS' home.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #422  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

*jumps in the thread*

I've started watching this, as and when I can, 'cause I'm not from the US. I try to keep up with the latest episode...

Man, I really would like to see Ron go. He's been getting on my nerves ever since the beginning of the season. Somehow, he gives this 'high and mighty' and 'my word is law' vibe.

I'm rooting for Mike and Tara.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #423  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I have a feeling Kristin is going home either this week or next. Did you guys notice at the end of last weeks show when they were showing Kathy's, "What she looks like today" clip. The wording at the bottom of the screen was strange. It didn't say Kathy plans on losing x amount of weight before the finale, it said "They plan on losing x amount by the finale. Another one said "They" something or another. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I don't remember the other contestants wording like that. Just made me think Kristin will be gone soon.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #424  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

yeah i think they were talking about her other daughters that it showed her working out with
Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #425  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I felt so bad for Tara tonight when they were all laughing putting all that weight on her scale. Especially Filipe.

Good for her coming back and winning that challenge. You go girl.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #426  
Token Vulcan

Okay....was anyone besides me ROFLing when Tara said Aubrey was a loudmouth and she needed to shut the you-know-what up? That is what's bugged me about Aubrey ever since she came back (well, besides the whining and crying!) She spent a month off the ranch in which she lost 2 pounds. She's been a lowballer more often than not. Yet she has a tendency to take on a condescending, lecturing tone with people. I thought Tara had every right to feel badly. Yeah, it's a compliment everybody thinks she's a tough competitor but she knows the score--she knows the first chance they get, they will vote her off.

You know, I'm not sure what's more annoying...the outright nastiness of last season...or the nastiness of this season couched in platitudes, jokes, taunts and laughter. Helen eating a cookie against Tara while almost calling her the "b" word. Ron punishing Helen for staying with Jillian. Saying all this stuff at the eliminations about who needs to be there more, who can do better at home, when the bottom line is, these people are either voting along the lines of who they first bonded with or who they think is the bigger threat....and for somebody like Kristin, coincidentally, all her best friends are Bob's original team and all her threats are Jillian's original team. Honestly, I'm hoping Bob's team continues to self-destruct.

Okay, if I was eating Cheerios when that Cheerios commercial came on about how the "Tongan cousins have never lost their enthusiasm", I would be wiping Cheerios and saliva off my keyboard right now.

Helen's pretend emotions while choosing her trainer. Please. This woman wants to win. That's why she went with Jillian.

So...we're done with the bare manboobs and sports bras now.

Tara amazed me with the challenge. I mean, I knew she was tough but to see her pull a 2 ton car past 2 young guys. She rocks!

You know what's kind of funny with this group? Guys you would expect to win or do better at challenges (like Filipe and Mike) get beaten by women. I mean, mommas Helen and Cathy even finished the half-marathon ahead of them. Tara and Sione seem pretty evenly matched but Filipe is nowhere near them.

BTW, what was the big deal over Aubrey's appearance at her return? They just saw her a couple of weeks earlier.

Looking forward to seeing the returning players, especially Dan.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 03-25-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #427  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
That reminds me...Cathy giving it up last week kind of baffled me. She did it on the supposition of there being a tie vote on her team. But why would she think that if all along they've been saying Cathy, Kristen and Ron had an alliance? If Cathy hadn't sacrificed, she and Kristen would have voted off Aubrey. Aubrey would have picked one of them, let's say Kristen. Was Cathy thinking Ron would vote off Kristen, too? Weird.

BTW, did you notice in the previews for this week that the cousins are standing behind Bob at the weigh-in?
That was the week that Laura got to sit in on their weigh in and have an extra vote. Had she made it tie the other team wouldve stepped in and probably got rid of Kristin since she is a bigger threat.
I dont know maybe she didnt trust Ron 100%
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #428  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Okay....I like Tara too, but the drama last night was disappointing. And she needs to realize that while yes, she is amazing, she is not the only competitor at the ranch. (If I hear her say "there's a target on my back" once more...) She complained about Ali pointing out that she is "in the lead," but it seems to me that she herself makes that point on a regular basis. If I were her, I'd mellow out and try to put the focus on some of the "dark horses" who are a threat to her.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #429  
FLY
Curvy + Pervy

S/C/G: 321.8/311.8/150

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie.
I just wanted to pop in & say that I LOVE BIGGEST LOSER.
I was so happy to find a discussion thread. I use to watch while eating pizza or something else bad for me and tell myself I was 'gonna start tomorrow'. Last night I watched while I was on my exercise bike. Times are changing. I wasn't too upset with Aubrey went home last night, but I would have been happier to see Rhon go home. I'm not sure how Rhon keeps managing to squeek through. As annoying as Tara can be, I was rooting for her to win last night after they all dumped on her.

FLY

Last edited by FLY; 03-25-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #430  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Okay....was anyone besides me ROFLing when Tara said Aubrey was a loudmouth and she needed to shut the you-know-what up? That is what's bugged me about Aubrey ever since she came back (well, besides the whining and crying!) She spent a month off the ranch in which she lost 2 pounds. She's been a lowballer more often than not. Yet she has a tendency to take on a condescending, lecturing tone with people. I thought Tara had every right to feel badly. Yeah, it's a compliment everybody thinks she's a tough competitor but she knows the score--she knows the first chance they get, they will vote her off.

You know, I'm not sure what's more annoying...the outright nastiness of last season...or the nastiness of this season couched in platitudes, jokes, taunts and laughter. Helen eating a cookie against Tara while almost calling her the "b" word. Ron punishing Helen for staying with Jillian. Saying all this stuff at the eliminations about who needs to be there more, who can do better at home, when the bottom line is, these people are either voting along the lines of who they first bonded with or who they think is the bigger threat....and for somebody like Kristin, coincidentally, all her best friends are Bob's original team and all her threats are Jillian's original team. Honestly, I'm hoping Bob's team continues to self-destruct.

Okay, if I was eating Cheerios when that Cheerios commercial came on about how the "Tongan cousins have never lost their enthusiasm", I would be wiping Cheerios and saliva off my keyboard right now.

Helen's pretend emotions while choosing her trainer. Please. This woman wants to win. That's why she went with Jillian.

So...we're done with the bare manboobs and sports bras now.

Tara amazed me with the challenge. I mean, I knew she was tough but to see her pull a 2 ton car past 2 young guys. She rocks!

You know what's kind of funny with this group? Guys you would expect to win or do better at challenges (like Filipe and Mike) get beaten by women. I mean, mommas Helen and Cathy even finished the half-marathon ahead of them. Tara and Sione seem pretty evenly matched but Filipe is nowhere near them.

BTW, what was the big deal over Aubrey's appearance at her return? They just saw her a couple of weeks earlier.

Looking forward to seeing the returning players, especially Dan.

I actually felt bad for Aubrey last week when I was sure she would get voted off for being the odd man out but this week she was so annoying! She whined about Tara winning the challenge, she was rolling her eyes at Tara's success. umm- Tara is working her butt off. No one is handing her anything. Then we see Aubrey complaining in the gym that it is "too hard". Seriously?? Foreshadowing maybe??

I thought it was pretty jerky of everyone to pile all the weight on the same people- especially how they laughed about it, and continued to do so after they could see how upset it was making Tara. Everything is a joke right?

I used to like Philipe but I'll be happy to see him go now. It seems like his attitude is getting worse every week. Wasn't it funny how last time it was "Jillian's fault" that he didn't do well but now that he is officially back with Bob and he had a crappy week he has no one to blame?

as for the shirts- Why in the world don't they do that the whole time??? I know at my HW (and now too) I wouldn't want to stand around in a freaking sports bra. IMO that is cruel.

I said the same thing when Aubrey went home. "Wasn't she there just two weeks ago?? How much could she have changed since then?"
I was shocked that she gained ten pounds after going home though. I'm glad she is going back in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to the eliminated players coming back too. I hope Carla gets to come back because I think she got screwed the first time.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #431  
FLY
Curvy + Pervy

S/C/G: 321.8/311.8/150

I also thought she had a bad attitude about Tara and it ticked me off when people were laughing about Tara getting dumped on.

I so wanted Kristen to reach the 100 lbs mark first though. I was jumping up & down and crying for her.

FLY
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #432  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Does every reality show gathering of people revert to feeling like an American high school?

I swear, when I watched them all piling weight on Tara, it was like seeing kids in the school system condemning another kid for being "teacher's pet." The crowd all resented the overachiever & wanted to stick it to her, because she's been working so hard. I'm sure on the Tongan Twins' part, it's partly also because she's female.

I guess I'm supposed to root for the underdog, because that's how these shows are generally scripted. And that's not Tara, clearly.

But I still want Tara to win. She should NOT be holding herself back or deferring to the crowd because they're jealous of her or dimming her light because it's brighter than many others' lights. She should keep working & attain her full potential, wherever that takes her.

[I sound like I've been reading too much Ayn Rand. I'll stop now.]
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #433  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY View Post
I also thought she had a bad attitude about Tara and it ticked me off when people were laughing about Tara getting dumped on.

I so wanted Kristen to reach the 100 lbs mark first though. I was jumping up & down and crying for her.

FLY
Me too! YAY Kristen!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #434  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForMeAgain View Post
That was the week that Laura got to sit in on their weigh in and have an extra vote. Had she made it tie the other team wouldve stepped in and probably got rid of Kristin since she is a bigger threat.
I dont know maybe she didnt trust Ron 100%
No, that was the week before when Mandi sacrificed herself to save Aubrey. Laura wasn't a part of Cathy's elimination.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #435  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I can't wait to see all the kicked off contestance come back next week. Yesterday's Detroit News paper had a picture of Carla in it, it said she has lost 115 pounds. It sounded like she is still working everyday, so she must not have gotten to stay at the ranch. Joelle has been on the news a couple of times, she hast lost weight but I don't think she has lost as much as Carla.

When Shannon was on the news for throwing flour, it said she had lost 100 pounds even though I don't think she looked like it when they showed Helen at home last week. I think it was in January that they were reporting that on the news.

There should be some great at home results. I hope they have all done well.

Last edited by wanna b thin; 03-25-2009 at 11:09 AM.