The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #1  

Default Is The Biggest Loser Club Online Worth $20

I was just wondering if any of you girls thought that the information, recipes, etc. was worth the $20 a month??? Thanks for any info..

Andrea
Old 10-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I should ask Suzanne to post her experiences here.

She signed up for the ten day trial period to check the site out and was not impressed. The meal plans are generated in a manner similar to eDiets (it's not run by eDiets though, but by Rodale, who also run the SBD subscription site). Suzanne said that when you sign up, you input how much weight you want to lose and the time frame in which you want to lose the weight; if you choose to lose more than 2 lb/week, your choice is rejected by the program (despite the weights that the show contestants have lost so far).

Suzanne also said that the club forum is filled with complaints about that - people who join want to know *exactly* what the show contestants are doing so they can do the same thing (I doubt that most people who join have the time in their regular lives to do 2 hours of cardio + 1 hour of weight training each day, however...).

I'm enjoying the show...but personally, I'd pass on the club. You can find plenty of support, info, and a bazillion recipes right here at 3FC for nada...if you want to try out an online menu planning site, I've heard good things about eDiets (although I've never used the site myself).
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely look into ediets.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

My personal experience with ediets is: it's not really worth the money. For the basic $2.99 a week you get a menu with recipes and a grocery shopping list.

You can adjust each meal, but if you are on dial up it'll take forever. I was doing it a work with a dsl connection and it still took a good hour to find a weeks worth of menus that I liked. Then the recipes/shopping list is for 1 person. If you are cooking for several you need to remember to get more of everything.

When you sign up, you have to be very careful and read everything because they automatically sign you up for everything and you have to manually uncheck the things you don't want.

Sometimes they have a free week or two, see if you can get that just to see if it's something you'd want.

This is a free site, gives you some menus with a few recipes. You'll have to make your own shopping list.
http://www.shapeup.org/atmstd/kitchen/page0.php

Good luck
Sarah
Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #5  

Smile Biggest Loser Club?

Has anyone actually tried out the online Biggest Loser Club yet? I wasn't sure if anyone had ever tried out the online version yet.

Thanks!

Jamie
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  

Default Show great. club not

The show is great! Beware of the club! I tried the 10 day free trial. I could see right away that it wouldn't really help me, so I called within hours and cancelled. They gave me a confirmation number. At day 10 they charged my card. I called in again, they could see that I cancelled, so they put in for a refund. That'll take 7 to 10 days. The 3 books are on the way. I'm suppose to pay shipping to send them back in new condition. This seems like a scam to me.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #7  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

You can also go to Prevention, Ivilliage and NBC.com to get some recipes. I think their plan is simple, eat less move more.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #8  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

The Biggest Loser Club and Jillian Michaels' site (which I'm still a member of until 11/9) are pretty close on what they do. While I love Jillian, I've found the support and all I've needed here on 3FC, so I came to the conclusion I didn't need it. Plus, I can't afford the extra $$ to be a member right now.
There's nothing wrong with either one, it's all a matter of you and what you need/want to succeed.