The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #16  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello Molly,

My question is what your opinion is about low carbohydrate diets for health and the treatment of diabetes. I'm personally a big believer in LC diets, but I have met RDs (a professor of mine in particular) who are against them. EDIT: By "Low Carb", I mean a diet high in fat, high in protein and with carbs coming mostly from vegetables, nuts and berries.

Recently, Annika Dahlqvist, a Swedish doctor, convinced the Swedish government to recognize "Low Carb, High Fat" diet as a legitimate way to eat healthily and treat diabetes. The government now will promote LCHF diets alongside Low Fat as effective and safe ways to lose weight. Sweden is the place where the "low fat" craze originated, and now that they're promoting Low Carb as legitimate.

Thank you!!

--Kim

PS> My information on the LCHF diets and Sweden originate from here: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/i...b-episode-107/ so you may read if you'd like to.

Last edited by Azure; 02-17-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #17  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

Default Molly Gee

I have a drinking problem.....I really drinks lots of diet soda . Will this slow down my weight loss ?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #18  

Default Happy Post-President’s Day!

Welcome back to the forum after a long holiday weekend. Hopefully you filled that extra day with healthy activities.

Last week, I encouraged you to reward yourself for lifestyle changes such as slowing down while eating and increasing physical activity. This week, let’s amplify the nutrition in your diet by adding an extra serving of fruit (small apple) and vegetables (1/2 cup of broccoli). You will be adding fiber and powerful antioxidants that can protect body cells from the ravages of harmful molecules (free radicals) that can contribute to heart disease, certain cancers and the overall aging process.

Congratulations on all your efforts thus far! Anything worthwhile takes time and habit management is no exception. It’s the small daily habits that will help you achieve a happier, healthier lifestyle. So next time you find yourself mindlessly munching at your desk or in front of the television, pop in a piece of five-calorie Extra gum to reduce the intake of unnecessary calories. Over time, such small changes can help to reveal a “new you.”

Keep trying and never give up! Remember, as an added incentive to help you meet your weight management goals, Extra gum wants to be your partner in success and is offering the chance to win $5,000 towards a healthier you in 2008! Visit www.gumisgood.com and enter today!

I'll be working with Suzanne to offer TEN forum members healthy “new you” prizes in March! Don’t forget to continue asking your questions to help yourself and other forum members as you all work to reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

To your health,
Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Hello Molly,

My question is what your opinion is about low carbohydrate diets for health and the treatment of diabetes. I'm personally a big believer in LC diets, but I have met RDs (a professor of mine in particular) who are against them. EDIT: By "Low Carb", I mean a diet high in fat, high in protein and with carbs coming mostly from vegetables, nuts and berries.

Recently, Annika Dahlqvist, a Swedish doctor, convinced the Swedish government to recognize "Low Carb, High Fat" diet as a legitimate way to eat healthily and treat diabetes. The government now will promote LCHF diets alongside Low Fat as effective and safe ways to lose weight. Sweden is the place where the "low fat" craze originated, and now that they're promoting Low Carb as legitimate.

Thank you!!

--Kim

PS> My information on the LCHF diets and Sweden originate from here: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/i...b-episode-107/ so you may read if you'd like to.
Kim—Diabetes is a serious, chronic disease that is best managed by working with a healthcare team to help maintain one’s overall health. For adults in the U.S., the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for carbohydrates is 130 grams per day, which is based on the amount of glucose needed by the brain. Calories should fall within the recommended range of 45-65% of total calories. In my practice, I review and evaluate my patients to work out a personal treatment plan within the RDA and evidence-based guidelines.

Using the definition of <35% carbohydrates for a low carbohydrate diet, the evidence for its effectiveness in weight loss is not significant after one year. More research is needed.

In regard to the actions in Sweden about a “carbohydrate tight” diet, I would say that the recommendation is cautionary. Dr. Dahlqvist recommends a diet that substantially deviates from the one recommended in the Swedish Nutritional Recommendations (SNR) and the current national guidelines for the care and treatment of diabetes. Basically, there is not a body of evidence that a “tight carbohydrate” diet would be harmful in the short run, but research does not exceed studying this diet beyond a year. The Swedish Board of Health and Welfare calls for the practitioner to provide a thorough evaluation of health parameters, e.g. blood sugar, blood lipids and follow-up. They also emphasized the importance of conducting long-term randomized clinical follow-up trials with approval from science ethics review boards about the diet. Keeping these guidelines in mind, it does not seem like the Swedish Board of Health and welfare would strongly endorse a “tight carbohydrate” diet. Be sure you discuss with your physician before testing this plan.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumplin View Post
I have a drinking problem.....I really drinks lots of diet soda . Will this slow down my weight loss ?
Dumplin—Moderation in all things is still the key for a healthy eating plan. Without knowing how much diet soda you drink, having 1-2 diet sodas each day should not slow down weight loss. However, ask yourself if diet sodas are crowding out nutrients from other foods and beverages? Are you drinking diet sodas to avoid eating, which may put you in too low of a calorie deficient? Aim for balance and variety and a calorie deficient of 500 calories per day to get started. This translates into a weight loss of 1 pound per week. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #21  

I am a vegetarian, who counts calories. I currently aim for 1400 calories per day. I try to aim for a 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) ratio. Is this enough protein? I eat 6 small meals each day, and try to balance each meal with carbs, fat and protein. Thus, I really don't eat a lot of protein in any one meal.

CountingDown

CountingDown—Sounds like you are on the right track with the 40/30/30 ratio. However, since you say that you are not eating a lot of protein at any meal, you may be at a 45/25/30 ratio. This is actually closer to the recommended range for macronutrients. As a vegetarian, most of your protein will be plant-based, e.g. whole grains, cereals, starchy vegetables. But, if you include protein from an animal source in your diet, (e.g. milk, yogurt and cheese) these resources offer more biologically available protein. It’s not necessary to assign one meal as the designated time to eat protein; a healthy balance of protein throughout the day is just fine.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #22  

I've noticed that I do not ingest alot of fat. Is this bad? I tend to eat almonds with breakfast and most the lean protien I eat is under 5 grams of fat. I try to add healthy fats into my food in a later meal.

Daimere

Daimere—While fats are important in your diet, don’t worry about incorporating a certain amount of fat in your diet. As long as you are enjoying a mixed food diet, you will be getting enough fat. Almonds are healthy (monounsaturated) fats, but portion sizes should be monitored as calories from nuts can add up. I also commend your intake of leaner meats in your diet to cut down the amount of bad (saturated) fats found in fattier meats. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #23  

I often use frozen chicken for my lean protein. I notice there is an amount of sodium in the chicken and wonder if that could be contributing to my water retention. Even though it is more expensive, how much better is fresh chicken vs. frozen?

Bradley’s Mom

Bradley’s Mom—Frozen chicken is a great source of protein. Remove the skin and visible fat to cut back calories from fat. Healthy people do not need to worry about the sodium used as a preservative in frozen chicken. The prescription to manage fluid retention is to drink more water and increase exercise activity.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #24  
Simply Filling Technique

Question Are you familiar with the South Beach Diet?

It sounds to me like you do not 'approve" of low carb diet plans. I have been following the South Beach Diet since January 1st. Although it has been about 180 degree turn from how I was eating before I have found that I like how the food plan is set up and I like the foods on the plan. I have a strong family history of diabetes and heart disease. This was developed by a cardiologist for his patients.

Is there any reason why I couldn't follow this food plan for the rest of my life?

I have also been looking into the "Sugarbusters" food plan. I have really made a concerted effort to go no-sugar in the past 8 weeks and I feel a lot better for doing so.

What is your thoughts on both of these similiar (I think) food plans?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #25  

All,

Welcome back to the forum! It’s hard to believe that this month is almost over and spring season is on the horizon. Last week, I encouraged you to add an extra serving of fruits and vegetables each day. How did you do? Most experts agree that it takes about 21 days to make a new habit. In the next few weeks, I encourage you to continue incorporating fruits and vegetables in your new healthy daily lifestyle. Enjoy this new habit!

In previous weeks, I challenged you to follow a couple healthy suggestions to help you on your path towards weight management. Try to think back at some of the healthful changes you have made and be proud of your life-altering actions.

This week, start preparing for the spring season. Check out your closet and plan a trip to the tailor to be sure that your clothes fit the new you. Don’t forget, Extra gum wants to help you showcase your weight management progress and is offering you the chance to win $5,000 to go towards whatever you’d like – whether it’s alterations or even a new spring wardrobe! Be sure to logon to www.gumisgood.com and enter the “Reveal the New You” sweepstakes for your chance to win!

Congratulations on all your efforts. Anything worthwhile takes time and habit management is no exception. Keep trying and never give up! Return to the forum in March and continue asking questions for your chance to win more healthy prizes!

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
It sounds to me like you do not 'approve" of low carb diet plans. I have been following the South Beach Diet since January 1st. Although it has been about 180 degree turn from how I was eating before I have found that I like how the food plan is set up and I like the foods on the plan. I have a strong family history of diabetes and heart disease. This was developed by a cardiologist for his patients.

Is there any reason why I couldn't follow this food plan for the rest of my life?

I have also been looking into the "Sugarbusters" food plan. I have really made a concerted effort to go no-sugar in the past 8 weeks and I feel a lot better for doing so.

What is your thoughts on both of these similiar (I think) food plans?

Pamatga—I’m glad that you have found a low-carb diet plan that works for you. Phase 2 & 3 of the South Beach plan are really excellent diets to reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease and certainly could be a lifelong plan. However, I find that the 2 weeks in Phase 1 are too restrictive for overall health because it prohibits you from eating fruits, breads, starches and dairy that offer necessary nutrients and health benefits for your body. During this phase, dieters usually have an 8-13 lb weight loss.

While I commend your attempt to cut back on sugars, be advised that the Sugarbusters plan demonizes carbohydrates, especially sugars, because they (sugars) increase insulin production which cause our bodies to store extra fat. The plan utilizes the Glycemic Index (GI) as a guide to choose foods, but there is no conclusive evidence that supports the use of GI for weight loss. No specific guidelines are given about the amount of food one should eat. Recipes are high in protein, fat and calories. Menus in the book include a 3 ½ lb of chicken that serves two or a filet mignon dinner for four which includes four -10 oz filets, 1 cup blue cheese and ½ lb bacon. This is certainly not portion- or fat-controlled.

There is no simple way to lose weight. The bottom line is that to achieve a healthier “you,” you must reduce total calories and increase in physical activity.

Good Luck!

Molly Gee, Med, RD
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #27  
Root of all what now?

S/C/G: 300/210/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi there,

Two questions:

I use a software called DietPower to help keep track of my nutrients and calories.

My first question is about Vitamin A. I've heard that getting too much of it is dangerous for your health and can cause problems. According to my nutrient intake, I'm usually close to, if not above the Upper Limit of 3000 Micrograms a day and that's without counting the multivitamin I take. I know there is a difference between vegetable and animal sources for Vitamin A and I -think- the majority of my vitamin A comes from the multivitamin with vegetables as a second. Should I be concerned at this point? It seems weird to have to cut back on vegetables or stop taking a multi but at the same time I don't want to get sick from too much.

Also secondly, I tend to consume about 1800-2000 calories a day, but I exercise for 45-60 mins nearly every day. I know I need to cut back on my calories (stupid tasty food) but should I be shooting for 1500 calories a day PLUS exercise? I am ravenous when I'm done exercising. Which is after dinner when my calories are all spent. (And alas, I can't chew Tasty Delicious Gum(tm) thank you TMJ)
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #28  

All,

Happy National Nutrition Month, the perfect time to consider choices we can make to improve and celebrate good health. To boot, yesterday marked the first official National Registered Dietitian Day! As registered dietitians, it’s our job to help translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. Though our time together on 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet has come to an end, you can find a registered dietitian in your area, by visiting www.eatright.org/findanRD and continue to seek answers to your thoughtful nutrition questions.

Last time I encouraged you to start preparing for the spring season by hitting your closet to try on your summer clothes. Did you see any differences in the way your clothes fit you?

Following are a couple simple tips to incorporate in your weight management regimen as you continue to reach your goals. Remember, small changes add up and can help you achieve long-lasting success!

• Enjoy a snack (e.g. fruit) before leaving home for a restaurant or party to take the edge off your appetite. You’ll find that you make healthier food selections at the restaurant because you’re not ravenous when you arrive.
• I noticed that during last week’s temptation challenge on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser,” contestants avoided high-calorie vending machine snacks by chewing Extra sugar-free gum instead. Apply this to your own daily lives – for example, chew a five-calorie stick of Extra gum in place of a high-calorie snack containing 140 calories, and you can save 135 calories.
• Throw out clothes that have an elasticized waist. A fitted waistband can serve as a reminder to stay on track and to help keep you motivated. Further, you’re demonstrating your determination to maintain and continue weight-loss success.
• At a restaurant, choose two appetizers for your meal instead of a full entrée. Traditionally, appetizers come in smaller portions, so in addition to enjoying a variety of food options, your meal isn’t as heavy or overwhelming as larger plates.

I’ve truly enjoyed our weekly visits and hope that I’ve been able to help you on your journey towards a healthier “new you.” And, as a member on this forum, you’re certainly on the right track! Congratulations! Don’t forget to sign up for Extra’s “Reveal the New You” sweepstakes for your chance to win $5,000 to help you achieve your weight management goals. Log onto www.gumisgood.com for details.

Thank you for welcoming me into your life-changing and inspirational community.

To your health always,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaroot View Post
Hi there,

Two questions:

I use a software called DietPower to help keep track of my nutrients and calories.

My first question is about Vitamin A. I've heard that getting too much of it is dangerous for your health and can cause problems. According to my nutrient intake, I'm usually close to, if not above the Upper Limit of 3000 Micrograms a day and that's without counting the multivitamin I take. I know there is a difference between vegetable and animal sources for Vitamin A and I -think- the majority of my vitamin A comes from the multivitamin with vegetables as a second. Should I be concerned at this point? It seems weird to have to cut back on vegetables or stop taking a multi but at the same time I don't want to get sick from too much.

Also secondly, I tend to consume about 1800-2000 calories a day, but I exercise for 45-60 mins nearly every day. I know I need to cut back on my calories (stupid tasty food) but should I be shooting for 1500 calories a day PLUS exercise? I am ravenous when I'm done exercising. Which is after dinner when my calories are all spent. (And alas, I can't chew Tasty Delicious Gum(tm) thank you TMJ)
Tamaroot –

Congratulations on your proactive journey towards a healthier you!

While vitamins offer nutrients for the body, anything in excess can be dangerous. The condition caused by vitamin A toxicity is called hypervitaminosis A. It is caused by overconsumption of preformed vitamin A found in supplements, not carotenoids found in food sources. Preformed vitamin A is rapidly absorbed and slowly cleared from the body. The good news is that acute vitamin A toxicity is relatively rare. Generally, signs of toxicity are associated with long-term consumption of vitamin A in excess of ten times the RDA (excess = 8,000 to 10,000 mcg/day or 25,000 to 33,000 IU/day). As always, this or any health/nutrition concerns should be discussed with your physician or registered dietitian.

It sounds like exercise has become part of your daily lifestyle. Keep it up. Are you trying to lose weight or maintain your weight? To lose weight, cutting back 250-500 calories a day will result in a ½ or 1 lb loss per week.

After dinner and exercising, manage your hunger by saving some calories for a planned bedtime snack. Enjoy a snack like fruit and lowfat yogurt or cereal and lowfat milk. Also, be sure to rehydrate with water constantly after an intense workout, as dehydration/thirst is often mistaken for hunger.

Good luck!

Molly Gee
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #30  
I WILL get in a bikini!

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Hi Molly! I have done lots of research to try and figure out the best way to get over this "bump in the road" with my fat burning/muscle building. I've done weight watchers since fall of 2004 and went from 180lbs down to 110lbs in a very short amount of time (I was about 17 during this time) and due to some family issues, I went on a binge for about 2 months and gained back almost 50 lbs in 60 days. Not healthy, I know. I am now back down to 125 and am 20 years old, however losing the fat isn't as easy as it was before. My goal for the scale is 117 lbs (thats what my WW leader had told me about 2 years ago) but to be honest, I would be perfectly happy at 120 or 123. My main concern is getting rid of this fat over my abs. I know I have some rock hard abs under there somewhere, but I can't seem to get rid of the fat over it! I'm sure my eating plan could use some jazzing up but I'm not sure where. Here is example of a typical day for me including exercise and perhaps you could point out where I need to shake things up abit. (and the exercise I'm listing is what I have been doing only for about a week. Before it was about an 40 minutes to and hour a day , half being weights and toning, the other light cardio)

Breakfast: 8am
coffee, no milk, no sugar
1/2 cup dry oatmeal in 1 cup boiling water with sugar substitue

lunch: 11am - 12pm
2 slices of bread - 90 cal. per slice
1 tbs fat free mayo
3 slices of turkey breast - about 30 calories per 3 slices
Lettuse, pickes, and tomato slice on occation
1/2 - 1 whole baked potato (w/skin/no butter or toppings) or light chips or handful of bran flakes cereal

Snack: 3pm
1 med - large apple

Dinner: 6pm
1/2 a chicken breast or a bocca burger (70 - 100 cal)
2 cups of steamed veggies, no butter
1/4 cup ketchup
1 baked potato/light burger bun (80 cal)/ or other small starch

I try and drink 6 - 10 glasses of water through out the day and on occation have some FF/SF pudding or plain popcorn as a dessert.

As for my workouts, they are 40 minutes of stretch/light cardio/weights/tonning/ interval workout, then 1/2 hr. of heavier tonning and spot specifit worout, alternating body parts between days, about 4 -5 days a week. Then for cardio its about 1/2 hr of some jogging and speed walking on my tred mill. I plan to intcrease my jogging as my heart and lungs are up for it.

That is a typlical day for me... do you think you can help me get back to gaining muscle and losing this layer of fat? Any help would be greatly appreciated! THanks!