Answered: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Hi Miss Gee...thanks so much for answering our questions!

I was wondering how to figure out the right number of calories to follow in my weight loss program. Is there a formula or is it based on exercise - or what. I currently eating between 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

I am at a plateau after losing well. Unfortunately - I've injured myself (foot and back) and have been told by the doctors no weight baring or upper body for a while. I am not quite sure how to approach this.

Thanks so much.
  • My question is on artificial sweeteners. I know some time back there was conflicting information on using sweeteners but can you tell me what the current research says? I add sweet-n-low to my iced tea and that is pretty much it but my concern is really with my 9-year-old daughter. She loves iced tea and will sometimes add three or four packs if I am not watching.

Thank you for your help!
  • Okay, seriously, I am trying my best to be really good and have healthy snacks available at ALL times, but I still crave sweets! Why do I crave sweets right after dinner?
  • My daughter always wants a sweet after dinner, no matter how big or small!
  • I HATE HATE HATE Breakfast, the idea of food makes me feel very sick at that time of day. I am aware of the benefits of breakfast, so sometimes I force myself to eat a special k bar, but my question is;

How long after you wake up is breakfast?
    Also,
    What is the minimum recommended calories for breakfast?

I eat 4.5 to 6 hours after I wake up (lunch)
    I can force down a special K bar between 3-4.5 hours after I wake up, would that be considered breakfast?
  • My question is on exercise...or, rather your heart rate during exercise. What should you aim for? I have read conflicting reports. I have not checked my resting heart rate in a while but I think it is in the 60-70 range. Also, should we trust the heart rate monitors on the machines at the gym?

Thank you for your help!
  • Wow, we do have a lot of questions! Here's mine: How much soy a day is too much? I'm trying to get most of my proteins from plant-based sources, so I've been eating more beans, and lentils, with some seafood and low-fat dairy, and limiting beef, chicken, pork, etc. to just a few meals a week. I'm cool with soy milk, tofu and edamame, but I've heard that we should limit them to a low level a day. Please advise!

judy
  • Molly,
    While this issue is significantly better now that I have lost 50 lbs., I still have soreness in my knees when I exercise. Are there foods or supplements that I should be considering to help my joints?
    Thank you for your time!
  • Hi Miss Gee - this is a different kind of question about vitamins. On tuesday I ended up feeling extremely tired, achy and sniffly. I've been reading up on Vitamin C megadoses and decided to give it a try.

Over the last day and a half I've been feeling less achy and my symptoms have seemed to have dissapated quite a bit, but some of my friends are giving me trouble saying too much Vitamin C is bad for you.

I have tried Cold FX with no results. For me, I take approximately 6 grams or 6000 mg per day, usually about 1000 mg every few hours.

What are your views on Vitamin C megadoses in lieu of regular cold medicines etc.?
  • Ms Gee........I was wondering if there are fat burners that actually work and what are your thoughts on the new pill out Alli? Any info would be great!
  • Happy New You Year!
    I’m so excited to be welcomed into your community. I feel like I know many of you after two short weeks! I hope that you’ve had a great week filled with lots of activity and more energy. Last week, I challenged you to keep a food journal. Congratulations for a major milestone in understanding your food and activity habits. Were you surprised by anything? Did you confirm your suspicions about diet and exercise habits?

Be a lifestyle detective by analyzing your records from last week. Highlight those foods that added “extra” calories during the day or from mindless munching while watching TV at night . If a high-calorie treat does call your name, try substituting with a five-calorie stick of Extra gum for that treat. Figure out the calorie savings and prepare to be amazed.

Next, add up your minutes of physical activity and challenge yourself to increase each day’s minutes by at least 15 minutes. Congratulations to everyone who has their routine established.

I wish there were more hours in the day and night so I could answer all of your important questions. The suggestions I do make are based on the limited information that can be provided in a forum. Your physician and healthcare team are responsible for your overall medical nutrition therapy and fitness plan.

Habit management takes time and some experts believe that it takes 21 days to modify habits. The important thing is to keep trying and never give up! There is no easy solution and one size does not fit all. If you need a little incentive and you haven’t signed up yet, enter Extra’s Reveal the New You Sweepstakes at gumisgood(dot)com for your chance to win $5,000 for a new wardrobe, gym equipment or something else that can help you stick to your routine.

Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

Till next week, here’s to your health,
    Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Sweets! Sweets!
    Quote: What does it mean when you crave sugar? Is your body deficient in something or does it just mean you are addicted to sugar? I crave it quite regularly and particularly after a heavy meal.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote: My daughter always wants a sweet after dinner, no matter how big or small!
    "Okay, seriously, I am trying my best to be really good and have healthy snacks available at ALL times, but I still crave sweets! Why do I crave sweets right after dinner?" Roni

Roni, Soul Bliss, Bikini Dreader and other sweet lovers:
    Research has shown that people have an inborn desire for sweet taste. Combine that with some memories of sweets at the end of a meal or as a reward and you can understand why people “crave” sweets.

This intense desire for something sweet can be managed. According to John Foreyt, PhD at Baylor College of Medicine, “cravings typically last ten minutes. Divert your mind by calling someone, listening to music, meditating or exercising.”

Spread your meals and snacks evenly throughout the day. Try to eat every 3-4 hours to maintain a good energy level. If you still want something sweet after dinner, chew a stick of Extra sugarfree gum instead of splurging on a higher-calorie dessert. One stick is only five calories and Extra has ten flavors – so there is something to satisfy any taste. The calorie savings can really add up over time.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Plateaus
    Quote: Hi Ms. Gee,

When you hit a weight loss plateau, is it more effective to reduce calories, increase exercise, or do a little of both? Thanks!
    Ceegee, it can certainly be frustrating when despite your best efforts the scale seems to stand still. Weigh yourself only once a week because what you think is a plateau may be just a normal fluctuation in weight. Everyone loses at different rates. It’s important to have reasonable goals and understand that the beginning of a weight loss program will always result in the most pounds lost. Increasing physical activity and also varying your routine may make your metabolism more efficient. But on the other hand, too much activity (more than one hour/day) may not be the best way to improve your metabolism. By the same token, do not cut your calories back so severely that your body might start conserving its energy.

Hang in there and be consistent in controlling your calories and increasing your activity.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Where should calories come from?
    Quote: Hello Ms. Gee!!

I was wondering if it mattered where your calories came from, or did it only matter if you kept your calories in a certain range to lose weight. Does the quality of food matter?
    Country Girl 18, total calories count, but the quality of foods count too. A balanced deficient diet of at least 1200-1800 calories is a good place to start. The healthy range for proteins (10-35%), carbohydrates (45-65%) and fats (20-35%) have been established by the Institute of Medicine. So, find the eating plan that works for you. Registered dietitians can work out an individualized diet prescription which includes nutrient rich foods that you like!

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Veggies!
    Quote: A nutritionist spoke at my company last year and was talking about the benefits of shopping the outside walls of a grocery store. However, she did note that shopping for vegetables in the frozen section was a good idea because they are frozen at a fresher point than the "fresh" veggies we find in the produce aisle.

Based on this information, my question is, how would you rank the following vegetables:

"fresh" from the produce aisles
    frozen
    canned

I find that eating canned veggies are by far the easiest. However, am I getting any of the nutrients at all or just a load of sodium? Are the frozen veggies that are steamed in the microwave still good or do they lose their nutrients in the steaming process?

Thanks so much, I look forward to your reply.
    Quote: Thanks for doing this!

I've been wondering about the nutritional value of veggies added to soups and stews. I understand that raw and lightly cooked vegetables have the most nutritional value, but I often throw tons of veggies into my soups, for volume and hopefully for some bonus vitamins and the like. Is there a nutritional value to veggies simmered for hours? Does the good stuff leach into the broth or disappear into the ether?

Thanks!
    Amberelise and baffled111, congratulations on concentrating on working more vegetables into your eating plan. My advice is to make it easy for yourself by choosing the most convenient form of vegetables. Food technology has advanced so that nutrients are retained during processing whether it’s canned or frozen. Of course, fresh vegetables are great as long as they do not look tired and sad. Check the labels on the back of canned veggies to find the sodium content, as there are lower sodium options. Retain some important nutrients like vitamins A, B-complex or C by not overcooking your veggies. Steaming and microwaving are better methods to retain more of the nutrients.

Soups are a great way to incorporate the nutrients from “tons” of veggies. Even though some water-soluble vitamins like vitamins B and C may be compromised with cooking at higher temperatures and longer cooking times, some nutrients remain. But remember, it is better to get some nutrients than none at all!

Bon Apetit

Molly Gee, MEd, RD