ANSWERED Ask a Dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Bigges Loser!

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • Ms. Gee,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. I would like to lose 25 lbs but nothing has been working. How many calories should I be eatting? I am 5'4, weigh 170lbs. I also workout 4-5 days a week about 45 minutes each time.

2. If you are trying to lose weight should most of our workouts be cardio? I do mostly workouts that incorporate both weights and cardio.

thanks again.
  • Like everyone else, thank you for taking your time to help us out. I too, like so many others, have tried just about everything, but the one thing that seemed to help me most was counting my fat grams. (I watch my calorie and carb intake somewhat as well)
    My question though is how much? I am 5'7" and currently weigh over 300. I was told at one time to keep them as low as I could but not to go over 30 grams per day. Another said not over 20 grams, but at least 10 per day. What is the right answer?
    Thanks again
  • MS. Gee, Thanks for giving us this oppurtunity. I have 2 questions...
    1. Is it true that writing down what you eat in a daily journal is helpful to weight loss?

2. Can you work out 5 days a week at least 35 minutes and still lose weight or should you exercise more for longer periods of time?
  • Ms. Gee - Thank you for giving us the chance to ask a nutritionist!

Does sodium really have any effect on weight loss aside from water retention?
  • Ms.Gee,
    i drink very little liquid & water less than that.I'm never thirsty,even after exercising.My daily liquid intake would probably fill up a 24 oz (diet)coke bottle.
    Could there be something wrong?I did find a sugar free drink mix that you add to bottled water that I like,will that be just as good as plain water?
    thanks
  • Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here:

1. Are the Walk Away The Pounds exercises adequate for weight loss?

2. Can Lisinopril and Zoloft (bp meds and depression meds) hinder weight loss?

3. Just how many hours per day do they exercise when on the Biggest Loser?

4. Do they prepare their own meals? Do their own laundry?

5. Can you recommend a vitamin regimen for the average female of 42?

Thanks!

(I realize you are a nutritionist but we were told we could ask questions about Biggest Loser too )
  • Ms. Gee, I travel for work. My first travel dates are January 23-26. Normally (pre-dieting), I would use that (traveling) as an excuse to pig out. Order room service, eat WAY more than I should, get dessert, etc.
    Now, I am terrified to travel later this month as I just started a new way of life on 1/2/08, and have been doing well.
    What tips/tricks can I use when traveling to keep me focused on what I SHOULD do, instead of what I HAVE DONE in the past?
    Thank you!
    JULIE
  • Hello, Ms. Gee, I have one more question. I just realized there is nutra sweet in FiberOne and I'm allergic. What is another high in fiber cereal that doesn't contain nutra sweet?
  • Hi Ms. Gee. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. My question is this: I just started eating the Smart Start cereals. Is there another less expensive cereal out there that can do the same thing/is just as good for me? I'm a college student, so I'm kind of on limited funds.
  • Ms. Gee, It is so kind of you to do this for us here.

My question has to do with vitamins. My husband and I are in our early 60's and we take a mulivitamin and mineral supplement. Is there any advantage to taking the ones that are on the market that are directed "Just for Women" or "Just for Men"?
    We also take glucosamine/chondroitin, calcium, and a fish oil supplement.
    Anything you can tell us will sure be a big help.
    Thank you! DONNA
  • Ms. Gee,
    I believe this is my third question ! I am terrible at taking pills but I think its important to take some type of multivitamin and/or calcium pill. As a 35 year old woman are there certain types of pills I must take on a daily basis? The least amount the better and I have a terrible time with swallowing pills also. Thanks.
  • Plateaus / Exercise = Less Weight Loss / Natural Weight
    Hello Ms. Gee...
    Thank you very much for your time. I have a few questions.

1. I know that everyone plateaus during the weight loss process, but why do we plateau and what is the best way to jumpstart the weight loss again? Some suggest eating more calories and exercising less, while others suggest exercising more and eating fewer calories, while others say drink more water and just add lemon slices.

2. I am not following a specific diet plan, but am losing weight (as well as lowering my cholesterol and blood pressure) by following the government's RDAs for macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbs). When I add exercise (1hr cardio 2X's, 2hrs of belly dance 1-2X's, 1hr strength training 2X's / week), I lose less weight or no weight at all. Do I need to add more calories in a certain proportion, exercise less or some combination of both?

3. I know this a strange question, and I'm not sure how to word it, but does the body have a natural weight? Or, in other words, if you ingested and expended the exact same number of calories daily, what would happen to your body / metabolism?

Again, thanks in advance for your time and for your informative responses.

Sonja
  • Ms. Gee,

A couple more questions--
    I've heard some people say that to really lose weight, you have to "eat clean" meaning all natural foods, no sugar, etc. I know that we need to eat real foods for nutrients, but is it necessary to cut out all sugar, white flour, etc?
    Can I still lose weight while allowing those things in moderation while fitting it into my calories?

On the last Biggest Loser, Bob said it's okay to eat dessert once a week. Is it okay to space that out with just a little bit each day?

Thanks!
  • Ms. Gee,
    Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated. I am a vegetarian, who counts calories. I currently aim for 1400 calories per day. I try to aim for a 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) ratio. Is this enough protein? I eat 6 small meals each day, and try to balance each meal with carbs, fat and protein. Thus, I really don't eat a lot of protein in any one meal.

I am 50 years old, I try to exercise 30-60 minutes each day and include weights/ resistance training and cardio (walking and aerobic dance). My job is fairly sedentary, working on a computer most of the day.
  • Ms Gee,

This question has plagued me for years, and I'd like answer from an expert. When someone loses weight, were does it go? I mean, how is the weight being removed? Are we flushing it away? Sweating it away? Or do people simply shrink?