The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #601  
diamondgeog

I think if you lose it at a 'normal' clip you should not have the skin issues people on the show do. I lost a 100lbs (sadly some if it came back slowly) over around year and half to two years.

Never had a problem. Was in my mid 30s when I lost that. But 50lbs in a month?

On a slightly different issue I am suprised that some of the men now getting down under 250 are not showing more muscle tone. I weigh more than they do (right now) but still look slimmer because I have good muscle tone. They are all working out so much, where are the muscles? When I do strength training for a month I end up looking like an NFL linebacker. Still overweight yes...but maybe TV doesn't show muscles. Not sure but it seems the guys should be looking more muscular.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #602  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I often do find it annoying that they remove so much clothing to get onto a scale that isn't even real. I think that in many ways, it is unnecessarily sensational and exploitive. Yet I'm also glad to see fat bodies "exposed" on telivision without only shame attached, and a good part of the show does show fat people doing things many thin people watching can't.
But at some point, they switch, and the women wear tank tops instead of the jog bras. It may be only at the finale, but I thought last season it was earlier.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #603  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesully View Post
I read a lot of posts on diet boards where people are just planning to have plastic surgery after their weight loss. Is everyone rich except for DH & I? I don't know but dropping $10-20K or more just isn't something in our budget. Ugh. I was hoping I would look great like they do. Hmmm.

Sorry...not meant to drag down the thread...just sayin'

I have a friend who had a tummy tuck and arm flaps removed this week. She and her husband are up to their noses in debt. They take only the best vacations, and three or four a year. Big house. Oversized vehicles. Lots of clothes, shoes and jewelry. They just chalked it up to another expense they could not live without.

I am guessing if you were a TBL contestant and had lifting done, the surgeon would be willing to give a substantial discount if he could advertise that he worked on you.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #604  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
On a slightly different issue I am suprised that some of the men now getting down under 250 are not showing more muscle tone. I weigh more than they do (right now) but still look slimmer because I have good muscle tone. They are all working out so much, where are the muscles? When I do strength training for a month I end up looking like an NFL linebacker. Still overweight yes...but maybe TV doesn't show muscles. Not sure but it seems the guys should be looking more muscular.
I thought Mark was starting to look more muscular on this last episode. I think that Trent is more muscular than you think, but still too much fat overlaying the muscles. I think he is going to be a buff big guy if he stays much longer (he is 1 of my favorites - it was the yoga)

Everyone's body build is different, having a six pack for abs is part gentic and part sweat equity. That body fat is going to keep melting at a high rate, but the muscle is going to be bulking up too, which is part of the reason you have a slow-down in the weight loss, they are still losing fat, but gaining muscle, the appearance changes more than the scale at that point.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #605  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Quote:
I think if you lose it at a 'normal' clip you should not have the skin issues people on the show do. I lost a 100lbs (sadly some if it came back slowly) over around year and half to two years.
I'll have to disagree with you here. I lost my weight over a two year span, losing about 1 to 2 lbs. a week. This was done with lots of cardio and weight training. And I was in my late 20s. And still I have *tons* of loose skin, particularly around my stomach where I carried most of my weight (I had been heavy all my life up until this point). I've been at this weight for a year, and my body fat percentage is currently 23%, so that's not a factor. The loose skin is more of a luck-of-the-draw type of thing. Some folks have it; some don't. The rapidity of weight loss or the incorporation of weight training may help reduce the skin issues, but it doesn't erase it.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #606  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I was reading recently that skin elasticity is the biggest factor. Age plays some role (you lose skin elasticity as you age), but it's also genetic (as scgirl32 says the luck of the draw). I've heard the same about stretch marks, and I wonder whether stretchmarks are a predictor of "sag". I've had stretch marks since I was 11, so that makes me a little nervous.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #607  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgirl32 View Post
I'm kind of worried that she might pull a big loss, but say something that upsets Bob...maybe something about how he made her feel like a loser when he didn't pick her.
If she does I'll lose any liking of her whatsoever. To be complaining about it 2 weeks later, I mean c'mon! and what an insult to Jillian. Noone can MAKE you feel like a loser but yourself. And obviously the teams werent so unfair since Black won both the challenge and the weigh in this week. I still think its dan that upsets bob.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #608  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Yeah I remember seeing the women switch to the tank tops at some point. Maybe just the finale though And not all the men took their shirts off at the finale either. I did see the older gentleman take it off.

WOW! I was looking at some pics of last finale and I don't remember seeing her in this dress! It did seem like most of them wore black. I would too!

Last edited by Nori71; 02-07-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #609  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Back to the moob topic....how the heck can those guys jog? Some of them are as big as I am, I can't imagine not wearing a sports bra when I run. I think they should let the guys wear them too. Of course half of my workout consits of getting the darned thing on sometimes, depending on which one I grab outta the drawer.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #610  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Another nay on this. I have lost at a slower than normal clip and I am having some major skin issues on my arms. I have done everthing "right" but the damage was already done. I am hoping it will spring back a bit, but I will probably never look anywhere near normal without surgery.

I was also thinking that either Brit or Bernie might lose a lot and then say something nasty to Bob.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #611  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post

I was also thinking that either Brit or Bernie might lose a lot and then say something nasty to Bob.
Unfortunately, this is possible. I just don't understand the need to be bitter and resentful, especially when achieving goals. I mean really...Celebrate! You are where you want to be, right?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #612  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I agree SB, all that bitterness and negativity only hurts yourself. You get back what you put out into the world, and at this point how can they feel they got the short end of the stick? She lost more with Jillian!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #613  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Yeah whether or not they are as upset as the editing makes them out to be - it does seem strange.

RE: loose skin. I lost nearly 120 pounds 10 years ago and had almost no skin issues. The area I did notice it was behind my knees - but as my legs toned up (leg work and jogging) it seemed to lift - or readjusted at least due to my quads filling out. Since I have gained all my weight back plus have had 2 kiddos (back to back in a 16 month time frame with hardly a single crunch in between!) my body is different. For sure I'm expecting some tummy/saddlebag hang.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #614  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
LOL, this cracks me up everytime I read it, what exactly is an eye taco? I've never heard that phrase before! I love Rocco!
It comes from the Mexican side of the family...Taco de Ojo...loosely translated as "something tasty for the eyes".
Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #615  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk571 View Post
floobs?
Poifect.