The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #31  
TBL - The Red Team

S/C/G: 247.4/204.8/165

Height: 5'10"

LOOOOOVE The Bob picture! Thanks for that!

That was a great first episode! I have to say that i'm glad the green team was eliminated by the end. I feel badly for Jenni, but her dad didn't want to be there and he needed to go. Hopefully she gets the support she needs from her friends and it looked like she was doing well for herself back at home.

I'm sooo glad that Kim isn't a trainer this year, she was a bit annoying to me. Love Bob and JIllian but I was a little shocked that Jillian was chosen first out of the two. Mom and I agreed we would have ran to Bob in a heartbeat....although, they are both GREAT!

I"m not sure what team I want to win yet. I really like the online strangers and the brothers and the two young girls. I also am really routing for the mom and her son. Betty Sue has her moments. Some times she's cute and other times she's annoying. This is definitely going to be a GREAT season!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #32  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I soooo totally loved Betty Sue. She's a funny, sassy lady! I like that teasing thing with her & Bob. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say She's my fav and NO it has nothing to do with the team being PINK....really I swear....

I'm glas they got rid of Jenni and her Daddy. I DID feel for her, but he didn't wanna be there so he really did need to go. I HOPE for his and his families sake though that he will continue to lose weight.

I Love Bob and Jillian and I think it's gonna be neat next week when they team up and train together. Sooooooo glad Kim isn't there.

BTW, the Celine somg works my nreve too. I can't stand that woman.

Last edited by Diva; 01-01-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #33  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was rather disappointed that green team got voted off, though I don't feel sorry for Jenni at all. I was more sympathetic to the father, especially after weigh-in. She seemed more concerned about his progress than her own, and more concerned that he wasn't living up to HER expectations of him (I wouldn't really be too enthused about being there with that kind of partner, either).

For a 60 year old man, he did great losing was it 17 or 19 lbs? They also showed him working in the gym when no one else was - so we really don't know what he did or didn't do, just that his daughter didn't think he was doing enough (and I think her whining to the other players may have skewed their opinion of Lynn as well). Did she really work as hard as she could, or harder than the other women, or harder than her dad, or did she just think so? I would have liked to seem more of them on the show to get a better idea.

I think it was interesting that she still complained about her dad's efforts off the show as well. He's lost 30 lbs, and she 20. Those are good solid numbers, for them both, but they don't show her giving him much credit, only complaining about his level of commitment. He was obviously exercising regularly, but apparently not up to her expectations. Considering his results are pretty comparable to hers, I think it's an unfair judgement on her part. He's male and heavier so we could expect him to lose a little more than her a little faster (which he apparently did), but on the other hand he presumably has an aging body and metabolism which might offset that a little bit (but another reason he might legitimately not be able to exercise at her pace).
Old 01-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It was a tossup for me, as I felt the camp counselors being young should have lost much more. But the dad nailed their coffin shut when he pretty much told the group to send them home and he would be fine with that. Yeah, he was ready. Don't know if it was more than he thought when he agreed to do it or what, maybe he said yes but never thought they'd really get to stay beyond the final interviews. But he put her in her place when they were packing and he told her not to forget who lost only 7 lbs and basically PUT them below the yellow line. Yep, that's right, can't argue w/the facts.

I like BettySue too! At first, I thought, oh no, she and Bob are gonna knock heads since they really wanted Jillian, but it worked out. I think I'm gonna really like her too - she's a real momma, you know what I mean? Reminds me of my nephews mil down in GA. She's always lively, happy, and will not hesitate to pull you aside and tell you where you've messed up - but she only means well and has a totally good heart. REAL person. Kind of would have been more interesting to see how she would have interacted / imploded with kim!

Last edited by sportmom; 01-01-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #35  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Sighs...I'm kinda half in half on this...I mean, due to editing, it kinda looked like the father just didn't do anything overly much, but yet he lost 17 compared to his daughter's 7 pound....now 7 pounds ain't nothing to sniff at, but when you compare that to the rest of the ladies there who lost considerably more than that, it kinda makes you wonder just how much exercise and dieting she really did....

I was so hoping on the updates that they both lost a lot, but it still looked like the father's heart was just so-and-so about it, whereas the daughter was still struggling a lot. Did anyone else get the impression that she pretty much gave up on the father in terms of winning the kicked-off consolation prize here?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Considering they've both lost a considerable, but comparable amount of weight, I don't think we can assume that his commitment is truly any less than hers, only that SHE thinks so, and is very vocal in expressing it.

I do think she seems to have "written her father off," and maybe that's better for both of them. I don't think that she was being a good support to him, and she definitely wasn't getting what she needed from him either. They may just have very different styles and methods of weight loss. Maybe he's more committed to diet, and she's more committed to exercise. Maybe she just sees his weaknesses and not her own. Who knows?

I do not think that the show is like most (reality tv or otherwise) in that issues of truth, fairness, and balance take a back seat to telling an entertaining story. I think the editors themselves also have biases that will affect their editing, and thus the picture we see. If any one of us were editing the show, we might create a VERY different episode (and it might not be any more "accurate" because of our own biases).
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #37  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I like Betti-Sue too. I went online prior to the show to read the profiles and picked my top 3 teams based on that. So here goes:

Betti-Sue & Ali (pink)
Paul & Kelly (yellow)
Maggie & Jen (purple)

Even after seeing the show I am happy with my choices. I was thinking the green team (Lynn & Jenni) and white team (newlyweds--don't remember their names) would be below the yellow line. I think the white team is next for two reasons--the husband is already complaining--and the previews from next week but they are not always as they seem.

It's hard for me to keep up with who is working with Bob and who is working with Jillian with all these different team colors. But I do distinctly remember the white team wanted Jillian and so did the pink. I loved that the husband from the white team said they didn't want Bob because they didn't "come here to breathe and relax". I knew he would eat his words. He can't even handle Jillian. I don't like that a few of them seem to think Jillian is better than Bob. Are they watching the same show?

Regarding what the green team looks like today...I wasn't suprised. If you look at the numbers--Lynn lost 19 at the ranch. Now he has lost a total of 30lbs which means he has lost an additional 11 lbs. Jenni has lost a total of 20lbs. She lost 7 at the ranch which means she has lost an additional 13lbs. So their weight loss is comparable. It seems they have both struggled. In comparison with other how they look today from previous seasons...not so good.

Last edited by Shay; 01-01-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 433/see ticker/235

Height: 6'0"

This was first time watching the show as I rarely watch TV at all but decided to try to watch this and the question I have is this, someof those people lost a massive amount of weight in a week, is that normal and/or safe? The one guy lost 25 or 26 pounds. How is it possible to lose that much weight in a week and do it so that it's not detrimental to your health?

Apart from that it was pretty good I thought. The green team were definitely the right team to go. As someone else mentioned Jenni wa all over her father about his level of commitment but when all was said and done he hit the nail on the head; he had lost 19 lbs while she had dropped only 7 lbs.

I'm not sure I've chosen any one team as a favourite yet but that may change. All in all it was an entertaining two hours.

As for the Celine Dion and her song, she's Canadian but if you guys want her we'd be more than happy to give her to you. Take her, please...

KJ

Last edited by Killjoy; 01-01-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #39  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I think we have to remember that part of Jenni's motivation is that she does not want her dad to die, and she feels she is trying to save him. My dad had a quad bypass, and though it is very rare, I want to slap him when he eats a bratwurst. I think she was trying to save him as much for herself as for him. When fear is your motivator, it is hard to provide the best kind of support. You hate to say the words, "I don't want you to die, but it seems like it matters more to me than to you, and I hate that about our relationship." Much easier for her to express her anger in less raw ways.

I have little sympathy for the purple team. They are fat camp counselors? They already have the tools for making changes. They should know most of this already.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #40  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Onthetee--You would think so about the purple team but I've seen a few of the Camp Shane specials on MTV. These girls are former campers. The kids do lose quite a bit of weight each summer but many of them return summer after summer and are still overweight. Socialization is a huge thing. They feel comfortable. They are able to interact and have boyfriends and girlfriends which may not be possible back home. All this to say...I think a lot of things get in the way of them actually internalizing the information and because these girls grew up basically at these camps they are falling into the same trap as their campers. I think I actually saw the special when Jenn was a camper vs a counselor. I think she said she is the assistant director now.

Last edited by Shay; 01-02-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #41  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Okay havent read what everyone has said but I did like BettySue for the most part, just wish she'd learn when its time to close your mouth. I'm just afraid its gonna get worse and worse as the season goes on. I dont like her eye rolling, but I love her interactions with bob...so cute!

I was okay with green going home, the old guy just didnt have his heart into it and I'm sorry you'll never be successful until you can committ. Looks like he'd doing okay at home though. I think thats just where he needed to be. Hopefully the purple team can make the most of being there now. I cried for the yellow team though....UGH!! That is such a hard situation to be in.

Okay thats all I can think of right now!

~melissa
Old 01-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I know they said they do the hiring and that they don't hire fat counselors...so that would elminate them from being counselors themselves. I paused when they said that, she said they can't hire fat counselors because the parents will think if they can't do it themselves, how can they do it for their children...something like that. So, they can't be counselors, but I found that part humorous that they were so big saying they can't hire fat people.

I loved Betty Sue because she was making the best of it. Instead of whining she was having a good time, trying to smile and keep going. And she got good results...I love a postitive attitude.

I am kind of rooting for the mother/daughter team, the one that the daughter had to literally drag her mother down the hill and they were last on that first challenge...what color are they? I am not good with remembering names, so it might take me awhile to remember all these colors But, I would love to see that mother make it to the end and walk proudly up and down that hill on her own...I always love that at the end where they do what they couldn't do on day one.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #43  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Thumbs up a couples tbl ... just in time!

You know what is soooo funny! Ok, so my boyfriend and I said well we want to lose weight as our new years resolution. So, on Dec. 30th (I remember the date because that's our 5 month anniversary) he went to 24 hour fitness and got a gym membership. And come to find out, TBL is doing a couples season! So during commercials we took our "before" pictures and wow! We have tons of work to do. I know that this time around since I see it in picture form and I have a true partner that won't bail on me its going to happen. We are going to lose this weight!!! I can't wait for that scale to go down! Down! Down!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Oh gosh, the daddy who was working to get his family insurance and couldn't get approved made me cry. I can't imagine living in a country where basic healthcare needs aren't covered by the gov't and present such a struggle.. sure I still need insurance for the "big" stuff, but the basics... yikes. I really felt for him and his wife.

Love that Kim is gone, and that we're going to get to see Bob and Jillian working together. Yahoo!!

I think I am going to like the contestants a LOT better this season. They all seem really sweet at this point.

The hospital stuff really got to me, especially the woman (a former contestant!!) talking about fertility. I'm in my early 20s, and the BF and I talk a lot about the kind of family we want... to think that my body, my health, my choices might get in the way of that... I got a little teary-eyed, to be honest. That got me so much more than any of the other hospital stuff.

I'm sooo glad the Green team went home. That dad is just NOT ready for this. As hard as it is for the daughter, you can't force someone to commit to something unless they're ready, y'know?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #45  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Thumbs up a couples tbl ... just in time!

You know what is soooo funny! Ok, so my boyfriend and I said well we want to lose weight as our new years resolution. So, on Dec. 30th (I remember the date because that's our 5 month anniversary) he went to 24 hour fitness and got a gym membership. And come to find out, TBL is doing a couples season! So during commercials we took our "before" pictures and wow! We have tons of work to do. I know that this time around since I see it in picture form and I have a true partner that won't bail on me its going to happen. We are going to lose this weight!!! I can't wait for that scale to go down! Down! Down!