Apparently those losses are NOT weekly results?

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • See in the USA we have another option. To discuss in public (gasp) things we dislike and disagree with. It's not just for politics. "Like it or leave it," is not a democratic ideal, it's a dictatorial one. Criticise and hope for change, is a much more positive response.

Criticizing and critiqueing does bring positive energy. Without it misinformation, bigotry, injustice, racism, sexism, and intolerance of any kind is perpetuated, not solved. If the duplicity, deception and misinformation doesn't bother you, well ok. You still have the right to watch the show or not. Just as those who wish to criticize and critique also have the right to talk about it (or not) and to choose to watch it (or not) as we see fit.

But just as you would suggest that only the gullible believe that the show is real, I (my opinion) think it's just as gullible to assume the show is "saving lives." Maybe, maybe not. How would we know if we're not told the truth about what the results were, how they were attained, or if they were long-lasting.

I'm not saying the show should be cancelled or that no one should watch the show. I'm saying that knowledge is power, and only through discussion and yes, even debate and criticism can true knowledge be attained.
  • All I can say is WOW...we went from talking about a tv show to this. and I might add not very constructively.

TV for me is nothing more than mindless entertainment, fighting social ills isnt gonna happen over a tv show, that happens with public involvement, actually getting up off the couch and getting out there and doing something about it. You can talk something all you want but until actions are taken nothing will change.

Finally, It is saving a life...mine! Because I'm inspired to do what I can to take off the extra pounds, so yes, I do think it saves lives. Cant wait for the next episode!
  • Words are verbal or written actions. I believe that actions and words are not mutually excusive, or even separable. Words must be formed AND exchanged before action can be decided upon and taken.

Even to say this is "just" entertainment, or even that it is helpful to some people (who are savvy enough to understand the flaws without them being explained, and self-confident, aware and educated enough to be well-informed) is a legitimate, but perhaps limited and short-sighted view.
    Our entertainment is as much a reflection of who we are as a person and as a people, as our politics, religion, and contribution to social services.

As a person active in my church and social and civic causes, I believe that small issues often pave the way to larger ones. The small issue here is this one flawed, but entertaining television show. A larger issue is getting information out there (even if it's on this small dieting forum) regarding realistic expectations and finding ways to meet them regarding weight loss. If we aren't supportive of debate and discussion on a small issue, how can there ever be hope of making a difference in larger ones.
  • All right--we're done with this thread. What started out as possibly useful information has turned into an argument, and it's not going anywhere.

Jay