The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #16  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

20 pounds in a week is possible through: 6 hours of hardcore exercise a day with restricted calories (1200-1600 for women, depending on height/weight and 1500-2000 for men depending on height/weight, if I remember correctly), dehydration thanks to the "last chance" workout, water weight loss/glycogen depletion, canabalized muscle mass (which weighs 3x more than fat) because they're not eating enough calories for the amount of exercise they're doing, and then the actual fat loss...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #17  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Jillian ROCKS my SOCKS..she's awesome, and I'm soooo glad she's on this season. Kim won't be happy--oh well!

And that old man is KiCkIn' bUtT! They underestimated him!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

Awesome start to the season. This is the first time I've watched it at the start of the season, unless you count the marathons of previous seasons they have on the Style channel, so I'm looking forward to seeing how people change.

I saw a lot of my previous self in Amber. Having a fitness program has done wonders for my confidence and what I think I can do and I don't think I realized that at all until I was watching her and seeing myself in her tonight. I was actually wincing when I was watching her because I can remember how humiliated I'd get whenever I was singled out for extra help in a work out class or in gym class when I was younger, or when I was picked for a softball team just out of pity. I wanted her to stay on, but logistically she wasn't a strong player, and emotionally I don't think she was ready for the weight loss journey. I'd be annoyed if I were her team captain, too. And I know that Lezly (spelling?) has had a lot to deal with, but she's been annoying the **** out of me, and it was only probably 8-10 minutes of face time for her.

And holy cow that guy losing 31 pounds in a week. My jaw dropped. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see more of the black team, because I'm a Jillian fangirl. I was thinking maybe we won't be seeing as much of them because the blue and red teams were legitimately picked, and so not getting as much face time is the penalty for not being picked for the original teams.

Last edited by Fooled; 09-11-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband is so P.O'd that I wanted to watch this. He finds the show very dangerous, and offensive, and while he has valid points, it's a guilty pleasure for me. I know the show isn't depicting typical or even healthy weightloss, but it's like watching a train wreck, I can't help it.

The huge weight losses, I would bet big money are a result of people loading up on water and high fiber food right before the first weigh-in. Losing 10% of your body weight in a week, is extremely dangerous, and I do think that eventually someone is going to die or get hurt very badly on the show - but I still can't help watching.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #20  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

This is the first time I've followed the show, but can't wait to watch each episode. I did hate that anyone got sent home although I would have chosen Amber too.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

So I missed it but am curious [as I'm signed up to be on the black team on here...] what exactly is the deal with the black team? Was it a surprise extra team or something?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #22  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Another first timer here, although I have caught occasional episodes before. I really wish they did a little disclaimer about how these results are completely atypical of reality, because when you see women being disappointed by 8 pound a week weigh-ins, it is just so sad.

It was absolutely astounding how much Kae and the older man lost. :wow:

I still really hate the whole uber drama of these things. Thank goodness for DVRs and being able to skip through the over the top stuff.

My question is, do they choose women without many stretch marks or do they airbrush them out? All those women seemed to have such nice skin. I have quite a lot of stretch marks in that area.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #23  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I had a big long reply and lost it. Rats.

happy to see Amber had lost after going home. did not think she had it in her.

Kim--what is it about her? Is it the perkiness? She just does not seem warm. Jillian does not seem warm, but she never puts it out there that she might have a moment of compassion.

When they were running for the team captain slot, I knew Bob would get picked first. If all three of them were there, I wondered who I would have picked. Not Kim, and maybe not Bob. I think that I would perform best for Jillian. I would perform for Bob because I did not want to let him down. I would perform for Jillian to prove that I could. I think if Kim tried to push me, I would just roll my eyes. What IS it about her?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #24  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Who does like Kim? She just doesn't ring genuine to me. Love Bob and like Jillian.

Regarding the black team. Each of the team capts got to pick 5 people. That left 6 people who were told they were going home. Everyone else had left already so the six were the only ones there when Jillian shows up. They train in secret and show back up next week. So there will be 3 teams competing
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #25  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
I had a big long reply and lost it. Rats.

happy to see Amber had lost after going home. did not think she had it in her.

Kim--what is it about her? Is it the perkiness? She just does not seem warm. Jillian does not seem warm, but she never puts it out there that she might have a moment of compassion.

When they were running for the team captain slot, I knew Bob would get picked first. If all three of them were there, I wondered who I would have picked. Not Kim, and maybe not Bob. I think that I would perform best for Jillian. I would perform for Bob because I did not want to let him down. I would perform for Jillian to prove that I could. I think if Kim tried to push me, I would just roll my eyes. What IS it about her?
I lost my compassion really quick for Amber when she wsa screaming I want to go home... I'm glad to see she got her wish.

Kim is all attitude I think. She has her moments where she can be genuine but I think for the most part she tries to be too hardcore.

If all three trainers were there I would go to Bob. Not only cause I have his Push dvds but because I'd be getting some side action!

Jillian would be second.... but I think I'd be slinging my attitude back at her if she really made me mad.

I'm really interested to see the episode they keep showing a clip of Kim saying "learn to trust your trainer"... I'm hoping someone is yelling at her.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I think they need a disclaimer too. I mean realisticly a 30 lbs weight loss in a week can not be healthy. I was definately rooting for the old man, til I signed up for the black team on here tonight. lol. Now I guess Ill have to pick another favorite. Oh and Amber... good lord. I didnt like her at all from the moment she was saying she wanted to go home. Im glad she got her wish. I have to agree with others, if Kim was pushing me Id probably kick her ***. Jillian.. we'd be great friends. But Bob.. oh my... sinful thoughts.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #27  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
I think they need a disclaimer too. I mean realisticly a 30 lbs weight loss in a week can not be healthy. I was definately rooting for the old man, til I signed up for the black team on here tonight. lol. Now I guess Ill have to pick another favorite. Oh and Amber... good lord. I didnt like her at all from the moment she was saying she wanted to go home. Im glad she got her wish. I have to agree with others, if Kim was pushing me Id probably kick her ***. Jillian.. we'd be great friends. But Bob.. oh my... sinful thoughts.
Bob gives me sinful thoughts, too...mmm! In the opener when they showed him without his shirt on, I swear I blushed so hard...rotfl!
I love Jillian...she's ROUGH!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

I wanted Amber to leave too.... though I'm glad she wasn't left to go home because she'd be on the black team and I think poor Jillian would have strangled her!

I love Jillian.... she's rude and she doesn't take crap from anyone - just the kind of trainer I would need.... however, Bob IS easy on the eyes and just seems like he really cares about each and every person on his team...... maybe I'd need Jillian to train me and Bob to congratulate me on my losses

Great first episode though - I cried in the first few minutes as well - I, as a lot of you have said, see myself in a lot of those people...

KUDOS to the old guy! WOW!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the concept of the "secret" black team......wow! awesome job to the producers!!!!

Should be a great season!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

LOVED the episode! I think the changes this season will be verrrrry interesting. I'm still a little irked with the show in general, and I agree that there really should be MORE of a disclaimer than that little blurb at the very end of each episode.

I wonder what Kae's weight loss will be like next week, given her huge loss this week? I mean, losing 10% of your body weight in ONE week? Wow.

So so so glad Jillian is back - she has always been my favourite, even though Bob is Hotty McHotterson. I still can't stand Kim - she's too... nice. I think if Jillian had been Amber's trainer, her attitude would've been fixed right quick.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #30  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I know a lot of you don't like Jillian, but I LOVE her! I think she gets what needs to be done, DONE! I just think she is one bad *** chick!!! I loved when she rode in on her bike! I really like all the trainers though! I was so happy to see the older man do so well. I just think the young people under estimated him and he sure showed them. He was the first to reach Bob, and he lost the most amount of weight EVER in the first week of the show...pretty dam cool for a 61 year old man!

I was really glad to see that Amber continued losing weight at home. She was not cut out for the show which really annoys me ! I mean because of her someone else didn't make it, but I was glad to see she lost weight at home and is on her way to a healthier new life! I'm not joking I don't think I could do what the trainers were having them do, and I weigh 148lbs.

I love love love the show though and can't wait to see next weeks episode! Until then ladies keep on chugging!