Old 10-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlauah View Post
I am not sure where I should be asking this but I thought it would be gud to put this here.... Below is the change in my scales from Oct 3rd:

3. -1.6
4. no change
5. -1.5
6. -0.7
7. +1
8. +0.8

I have stayed on plan all the days.. I am not sure of the fluctuation.. I felt so bad that despite trying so much I have moved in the wrong direction.. Also my TOM is not until around the 18th..

Can someone please help me understand this... I havent updated my tracker because I am not sure if it is temporary or permanent..... (On second thought I did change it though )

I feel so demotivated when this happens.. that too 2 days in a row Also I am finding it difficult to move to the lower 180s I have been hovering around the higher 180s for a while now

Am I missing something??? I am confused
Sadly, weightloss is not linear. Our weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds through the day and from day to day. Even though TOM isn't due for a while your hormones are also working away. I seem to go up some around the time I ovulate for example. How active we are can affect things, what we eat can also (maybe something was sneakily very high in sodium or just messed with your digestive track without you even knowing).

Overall, you are still down. This is why so many people say you should only weigh once a week or even once a month. It's easy to think too much into it when you weigh every day. Personally, I have to weigh every day, I accept the fluctuation and usually know exactly why I had them by tracking my food, exercise and where I am in my monthly cycle.

Hang in there. The scale will go down if you are staying on plan
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #17  

Thanks FindingFawn It is good to hear from someone who has seen it... Will keep my fingers crossed.. But I become so disappointed and demotivated when I see this
Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
Sadly, weightloss is not linear. Our weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds through the day and from day to day. Even though TOM isn't due for a while your hormones are also working away. I seem to go up some around the time I ovulate for example. How active we are can affect things, what we eat can also (maybe something was sneakily very high in sodium or just messed with your digestive track without you even knowing).

Overall, you are still down. This is why so many people say you should only weigh once a week or even once a month. It's easy to think too much into it when you weigh every day. Personally, I have to weigh every day, I accept the fluctuation and usually know exactly why I had them by tracking my food, exercise and where I am in my monthly cycle.

Also make sure you are logging your sodium. Try to keep it under 2300 mg day. The weeks I have unexplained gains I measure my self, sometimes it gives me enough validation to keep doing what I am doing.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #19  

Thats a valuable suggestion.. Will start keeping that in mind Thanks Cleancowgirl

Last edited by nlauah; 10-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post

I too weigh daily and log it on a calendar every day. If I get discouraged because I'm up when I think I should be down I just look at the calendar, flip back to the same day last month or the beginning of the year and I am usually instantly feeling better. You are doing great even if the scale wobbles around each day. It could just be that you exercised a little harder and your muscles need to hold onto a little extra water weight for a couple of days while they recover.

You cannot control how fast or when you lose weight but you can control what you eat, how much you eat and how much exercise you get. So focus on the things you can control and the weight will adjust accordingly.

PS The beauty of this challenge is towards the end you may start feeling like you aren't loosing as fast as you would like to but if you peak at your starting weight it really helps motivate you. You forget how much you have lost in a short period of time when you are concentrating so hard on the next weighin.

Last edited by EofAZ; 10-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #21  

Thanks Evangeline... I should also try and do that to keep me motivated... Looking a month back is an excellent idea
Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #22  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi all,
Just a drive-by introduction, I really need to get to bed.

I'm Kris, this is my 3rd or 4th challenge. I'm 40, single with 2 furry Corgi kids, and I live in Upstate NY. I had my last straw 3 years ago when a good friend asked me to be her maid of honor. I just couldn't be the obese bridesmaid in her wedding photos forever. I started Medifast in April 2011, and lost 100 pounds by August 2012. And then I got STUCK. I've been working on the last 25-30 pounds ever since.

I've learned I love yoga, and I'm now a runner. I've been working with a trainer, and love that, too. So I'm trying to be happy with all my fitness accomplishments since the scale is not going down.

I'd like to lose something, anything during this challenge - especially since I have a 13 day vacation coming up fast.

I'll come back later for personals...

Go red team!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancowgirl View Post
Also make sure you are logging your sodium. Try to keep it under 2300 mg day. The weeks I have unexplained gains I measure my self, sometimes it gives me enough validation to keep doing what I am doing.
I never log my sodium, I probably should, but I think my brain would go into overload with adding too much more to worry about. It's great advice. I also never ever measure. It is really hard for me to see the number on the tape measure, the number on the scale doesn't bother me as much (yeah, explain that one....lol). Maybe I should start having hubby measure me and write a simple minus whatever so I never see an actual number..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofAZ View Post
I too weigh daily and log it on a calendar every day. If I get discouraged because I'm up when I think I should be down I just look at the calendar, flip back to the same day last month or the beginning of the year and I am usually instantly feeling better. You are doing great even if the scale wobbles around each day. It could just be that you exercised a little harder and your muscles need to hold onto a little extra water weight for a couple of days while they recover.

You cannot control how fast or when you lose weight but you can control what you eat, how much you eat and how much exercise you get. So focus on the things you can control and the weight will adjust accordingly.

PS The beauty of this challenge is towards the end you may start feeling like you aren't loosing as fast as you would like to but if you peak at your starting weight it really helps motivate you. You forget how much you have lost in a short period of time when you are concentrating so hard on the next weighin.
I made a journal that in the front I listed mini goals... several different kinds, what my estimated base BMR is/will be at every 10lbs down, and then 2 years worth of daily weigh ins.. then it goes to 3 years of weekly weigh ins. I have space in the back to make a short journal entry on my "official" weigh days. I have tried this before, but before I hid it from the family out of embarrassment, this time it's on the counter in the kitchen and I look at it every day. It's really helping... because I can quickly see how far I've come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Hi all,
Just a drive-by introduction, I really need to get to bed.

I'm Kris, this is my 3rd or 4th challenge. I'm 40, single with 2 furry Corgi kids, and I live in Upstate NY. I had my last straw 3 years ago when a good friend asked me to be her maid of honor. I just couldn't be the obese bridesmaid in her wedding photos forever. I started Medifast in April 2011, and lost 100 pounds by August 2012. And then I got STUCK. I've been working on the last 25-30 pounds ever since.

I've learned I love yoga, and I'm now a runner. I've been working with a trainer, and love that, too. So I'm trying to be happy with all my fitness accomplishments since the scale is not going down.

I'd like to lose something, anything during this challenge - especially since I have a 13 day vacation coming up fast.

I'll come back later for personals...

Go red team!
Hi Riddy! Even though the scale isn't moving, I bet your body is changing in amazing ways with the yoga, the running and the trainer.

AFM: Today is my weigh in day, I'm down 4.6lbs for the week. It's a big number, but last week was TOM and I had a day at the fair over the previous weekend so I was retaining water from every source under the sun. I took pics this morning. I took some 4 weeks ago, my plan is pics every 4 weeks. Not sure I will ever share them anywhere, but wanted to be able to look at them as I go.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #24  

Hey everyone... Thanks for all the support.... Was an usual day yesterday.. stayed on the plan almost though I was 31 calories more than the budget I think I am gud with it
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #25  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Good morning team Red!

My name is Kris, 42, married and currently on vacation! Not a great way to start a weight loss challenge, but I'm excited to go gang busters when I get home!

Can't wait to have a few minutes to read through the thread so far. For now, I'll just have to contribute a quick check in and say ALOHA! From beautiful Kauai!

Be back very soon!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,
Today, I am going to do my first workout since September 12th. I was exercising consistently, and I felt so good, but then I let stress and everyday life derail me. I have been fighting a nasty cold, but today I feel well enough to workout. I am actually excited to exercise as I am going to be using a new dvd called Rockout Knockout which is cardio kickboxing workout
I have to work tonight so I will be sure to pack a healthy snack for my 3 am break.

Evangeline - 90 lbs is fantastic! Way to go!

cleancowgirl - great job losing 50+ pounds and lowering your blood pressure, all with just exercise and weight reduction

nlauah - welcome to your first challenge Weight loss can be so frustrating and it's hard not to get caught up on the daily fluctuations. Here is a great article that I think really helps to explain those fluctuations: http://cathe.com/weight-gain-myths

Darcey - I also would conveniently forget to journal on binge days. I am determined to log everything that goes into my mouth no matter how bad it may be.

Sommer - My dh joined our local gym and he wants me to join too, but I am a loner at heart also and prefer to workout at home. I have built up quite a bit of equipment and dvds and I don't see the need to spend more money. 4.6 lbs for the week is wonderful, wtg!

Riddy - 100 lbs, that is awesome! You must be so proud of yourself!

Kris - Enjoy your vacation in Kauai!

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #27  

Nlauah~ 31 over is nothing to worry about I give myself a window with about a 300 calorie span... but try to stay on the low end of it.

Nixmom~ I think a vacation is a great way to start. If you can have some control there just think of what control you can have at home!

Narnia~ hope your workout was great yesterday. Just thinking of cardio kickboxing makes me tired. I'm sure the day will come when I can move beyond Leslie Sansone's videos.. I dream of zumba, but when I try it it hurts.. bad. I will try it again when I am down a few more pounds.

AFM~ Hubby and I are going out tonight for our anniversary, so I forsee a sodium gain tomorrow. I'm going to try to drink extra water today and definitely tomorrow and Saturday.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #28  

Thanks Narnia and findingfawn... I stayed pretty much on plan yesterday and I did not weigh myself in today... Thought I need to give the scale a break... will stick to my plan but will weigh myself in on may be Saturday!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

As with measuring yourself. If you can't see the tape measure or don't have one. Take a piece of string, yarn or whatever you have and measure your waistline and cut at end. Just use it every week and see how it goes down eventually you will have to cut it again. I saw this from another poster and thought it was a good idea.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancowgirl View Post
As with measuring yourself. If you can't see the tape measure or don't have one. Take a piece of string, yarn or whatever you have and measure your waistline and cut at end. Just use it every week and see how it goes down eventually you will have to cut it again. I saw this from another poster and thought it was a good idea.
Now THAT is a great idea... and as I was just typing that, I had a great idea... a white ribbon that you mark with a sharpie every month (or how ever often you measure). Maybe a few, one for each area you want to measure... and date it too with a fine tip sharpie. It would save people like me who have a huge problem with seeing that number on the tape measure!