Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #46  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

What can we do to feel more in the loop? Is it a matter of getting to know eachother ofver time? Or can we do the get to know ya questions?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #47  

Hi Black!!

I'm back from our trip...safe and sound in my regular routine, planning our meals, cooking our own food, working to get back in to my workout routine. {sigh} No more temptation from menus!!! The good news, although not officially a weigh-in: the scale is showing a 1 lb loss

JustForUs: congratulations on your great accomplishment!!! you must have been exhausted!!

Tara: and great NSV in getting into old clothes that previously weren't fitting. I can so appreciate that!! In the past, I'd have to run to the store when we were travelling to buy new clothes (I mean this was an act of desperation too grabbing anything off the rack that woul fit! But these last couple of trips I'm shopping in my closet. Clothes that weren't fitting are and it's expanded my wardrobe.

And thanks for the advice on DVD players in hotel rooms. The DVD player is for a June trip (not this past weekend). I think I'll give the hotel a call before June and check on DVD player and their workout facility. It'd be great to have a DVD for yoga.

I'm definitely battling something (itchy throat, some congestion) which is driving my batty. I haven't worked out in a week now. My P90X routine has stalled after 4 weeks. I think today I'll head over to the Y and jump on the elliptical. I'm struggling with this because I want to begin week 5 of P90X but since I'm not feeling 100%... ugh. Any workout is better than nothing. And perhaps after my June trip I can revisit P90X and start over from the beginning.

Have a good week.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

My feeling out of the loop is because i haven't been able to get on here as much as i was in the beginning, and don't have time to read every post I missed so just feel like I have taken myself out of the loop...nothing the grouop is doing at all. I should be able to get on here more this week, at least today and tomorrow...thursday I have to go to a field trip with my son, then to end of the year party with my daughter on Friday, so those days into the weekend I will struggle to get on here yet again.

We finally got the concrete laid in the backyard for hubby's workshop though, so next we finish payment and the come out and build it. That along with a ton of work in my flowerbeds, putting in a new veggie garden, etc. has just piled onto my usual schedule with the kids so time to myself is suffering. I have a new plan to get my ME time back, and it started this AM so I am feeling more relaxed already. I'm about to go exercise instead of tearing up a small flowerbed as I planned for today...time to start doing what I gotta do to get to my goals. I have set new priorities

I think a question of the day would help maybe, unless anyone has any better ideas? I know I will feel back into the group as I make time to get on here more like I was in the beginning...I wonder who is winning in our exercise challenge now? I have really slacked, so I'm sure I've been left in mugsy and Realcdn's dust by now
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #49  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning,

I decided to catch up a bit this morning, however, I really will go do some cleaning in a little bit. I made a point to do my first 30 mins on the treadmill before sitting down at the computer. Since I've been up since 6:30 and didn't sleep well, I'm thinking that an afternoon nap isn't such a bad idea (but we'll see when it's time).

Purplefirefly -
I feel a little out of the loop when I skip a few days. I figure since we all have other pulls on our time that it's going to happen. Especially as the weather gets nicer and we may spend more time outside. I suppose we just do our best. On the planning, for me, it's crucial. My old standby meals are always too high in calories, or not filling, or both. I also make a point to not go to bed without planning the next day's meals in advance. I use FitDay PC which allows you to copy and paste items, and really, I'm to the point where it's no more than a 5 minute job. I don't print it out, but I can even print out the meal plan for the day if I needed to.

Soulbliss - I notice that this time, that I'm eating pretty much what I want. Oh, perhaps at times I'd prefer a larger portion, but not the type of foods I'm eating. I was in the mood for pasta last night, so I had it. I'm having friends for dinner tomorrow, and we'll have drinks, ribs, corn, and such. It will be within plan, but what I choose. The only real limitation I've put on myself is the amount (varies on activities for the day), and I'm aiming for a minimum protein level of 30%. Other than that, I deny myself nothing... if I really want it.

Angeline - glad you had a good trip, but sorry you came back not feeling 100%. I admit I'm either an all or nothing type when it comes to exercise. I either ignore illness symptoms and keep going, or decide to do nothing until I feel better. I'm not consistent with which one I choose either.

Julia - I'm never sure how you get to know people better online. This is a large group, which makes it harder. I know even on the regular forum I'm on (as you are) it's a smaller group, but sometimes I struggle to remember who said what (especially if it was a while back). In the end it's about sharing the good and the bad either from daily life, or the weight loss journey. Or rambling madly and hoping that someone else gets something out of it.

Tara -
it hasn't happened recently for me, but I've seen TOMs bring 3 pound gains that take days to go away. I think it was two weeks back (not TOM) I literally gained 3.5 pounds in two days. Completely on plan, and not doing any lifting (which usually makes me retain water for a day at least). It took about 4 days for it to come off. Our bodies just do what they want. I track daily so I suppose I'm used to my own fluctuations, so I tend to ignore them. Just keep your food in line, and your exercise to plan, and it will eventually change.

Kim - I hear you about the weather. I had great plans for this week. I was dropping my mother off at the train station this morning (out of town for a few days) and I was going to visit the garden center out in that direction. I've got 50+ pots ready to plant, but not a plant in them. It was to be cold and clear tonight so I decided not to risk it. Now it looks like it might rain, so I probably could have. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on tomorrow's forecast and maybe do the shopping run tomorrow afternoon.

Misty - I eat 6 times a day, including (usually) some fruit salad with a biscotti about 10pm and a protein shake right before bed time (which I really just count as one evening snack, so I suppose I eat 7 times a day). I find that I'm rarely hungry that way. I have to say that I really don't buy into the idea of not eating after a certain hour. I've been doing this for months and it hasn't stopped me from losing. Hope you have a good weekend. The one thing about the fried food, depending on how long you've been off it - it could upset you. So keep that in mind when picking your one treat a day.

Trooworld - although pampering does sound good, I don't think I've ever been a mani/pedi kind of gal. I'd kill for a sauna every now and then though. It's amazing that you've had a friend since you were 8. Although I still occasionally keep in touch with a friend from high school I can't say that we're that close anymore.

Smurf -
I post my meals in my blog and a fitness log I keep on another site. I find that knowing I'm going to publically post my choices keeps me making good ones. Even if nobody is reading it, they could be.

Bethbeth - good luck on the apartment. Having a gym handy is always a good thing. There used to be one where I worked, and it was great. If I'd been more into the weights at the time I know there were lots of guys that would have been happy to help.

JustForUs -
hopefully soon you'll be going through your own closet. I did that a while back, creating 'okay', 'okay soon', and 'alter before wearing out in public' piles.

Julz - I'm slow to make friends, and sometimes wonder if I have a best friend as people use the term. I have a couple of friends that I trade phone calls, visits, emails, etc. However, if I wanted to go to the movies, there's nobody in town. I keep talking about changing that, but never seem to. Hey, after almost 11 years of living in the same house I'm finally meeting the neighbours (started last year).

Well, I think maybe I'll stop there. It's time to go back to the treadmill, and then really, some cleaning. Hope everyone is having a great on plan day. For those I didn't say something to directly, or who are just lurking
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #50  
Anne

Okay I like the idea of a question of the day. I've got one I've been thinking of lately.

What's the one thing that's helped you the most with losing weight?

Last edited by RealCdn; 05-20-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #51  
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
Although there are many things combined I have to say planning, planning, planning. That is a combination of making sure the freezer is stocked with dinner options, and now lunch options. We always have salad fixings and fresh veggies as well, so they can be added as needed. However, I really do not go to bed without planning the next day's meals. Not just lunch and dinner, but a complete daily meal plan.

This doesn't mean that it never changes, however, even when changing it I come back to my software and adjust before continuing on with the day. I really no longer just grab something without considering the consequences.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #52  

Good morning, all!

I'm going to try to get some personals this evening but I really, really wanted to thank you all, including our BLC organizers -- I haven't been able to "get going" with starting the weight loss AGAIN for over a year -- and today was the third day in a row I'm under 300 lbs. Not much but it's there and it's real. For the first time in a long while I'm thinking maybe I can do this.

Thanks so much for being here and participating and supporting!

Barb
Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 153/148/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:

Hi, I haven't been here so much lately neither, I been studying a lot and also been a little sick this weekend. However, I am not gaining weigh at least ..
So now on to the question, it's hard to answer, because it's everything together.. But the thing that do the most different is what I eat I have to say.. I usually don't lose weigh by only exercising.. But I do if I eat right! It's hard,, I love chocolate..
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #54  

HUGE to Keilynsmom (know i spelled it wrong, sorry) for being our biggest loser this week. How on earth do you get a 9 lb. loss in one week? Please share the secret
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keillynsmom View Post
Good morning, all!

today was the third day in a row I'm under 300 lbs. Not much but it's there and it's real. For the first time in a long while I'm thinking maybe I can do this.

Barb
Oh, you're kidding right? Being under 300 is huge! You have lost over 70 lbs, that is amazing, give yourself the credit you deserve, girl. That blows "not much" out of the water...it's a big accomplishment and I am proud of you. Now go scream and dance around the house, and be proud of yourself as well because that is what matters most. I think you have really made a huge accomplishment, you are inspiring.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #56  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

WOW Keillynsmom - You're rockin this challenge!! Big, enormous contrats to you. You should be very proud of yourself. I know the entire Black Team is very luck to have you!!! Keep up the good work!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #57  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Great job Keillynsmom
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 170/162/136

Height: 5'5

Congrats to our AWESOME biggest looser! WAY TO GO! Sad that we have already lost so many team members though Lets not loose any more of our peeps.

So TOM is supposed to be showing her ugly head anyday now I can feel the water retention in my hands and feet. I had 2 periods last month so I am hoping my body will get itself back on track this month-I like consistency! You what I find so interesting-growing up there were 6 females in my house (I know, poor dad) and it didn't take long for our cycles to line up and we all seemed to have TOM within a couple of days of each other (I know poor poor Dad). Then all of my girlfriends' cycles lined up and we all had periods within a day or so of each other and NOW my period is lining up with all my new friends here-CRAZY!

I weigh in and officially measure tomorrow, I cheated and measured last week so hoepfully both the scale and the tape show a loss.

I got in a good walk this morning. I take dd to the bus and then head out. The bus usually passes me sometime along the way and it was my goal to make it further today than I did yesterday before the bus passed me and I am pleased to say I made it more than a block further-I was hauling it! I am gonna jump of the puter in a bit and do some yoga and yard work.

Having a network and support from others. Before I found this site I was trying to lose weight and would find that I did good for a day or two and then went right back to where I was. Back in 2002 I lost over 50 lbs and got to my smallest weight since high school, after 2 more pregnancies it has always been my goal to get back down there, but was just not doing it. Talking to DH he asked me what it was back then that helped me loose and I remembered that it was the support I got from a forum like this. I went searching and cannot find the one I belonged to back then, but found this wonderful place and I have been so much more OP day after day.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #59  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I would have to say there have been two things. One is planning. If I make a menu for the week, go to the store and buy everything we need and then stick to it, I am successful. The second thing is exercise. As long as I am exercising my weight loss stays consistent. When I work my butt off at the gym or walking in the heat, I am less tempted to undo all that hard work by going crazy with food. Exercising makes me want to eat on plan, so I can actually reap the benefits of all that sweat!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #60  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

blueyedlvrgirl: have fun at your festival!

Manick: yeah, I feel pretty lucky. We've had our ups and downs, "breaking up" but always "getting back together". We are super silly when we gt together. The things we laugh about...it's like we are 8 again!

RealCdn: I am SO impressed that you cook so much ahead of time! That's awesome. I think if we had more room in the freezer, we might do a little bit of that, but not 56 meals worth...wow! You know, I'm not much of a pampering girl, either...I don't do my nails, rarely do my toes, but I really like getting a pedicure and it lasts forever. Plus, it's really cheap around here...I can go to a nail shop and it's around $9 + tip.

Quote:
I'd have to say planning, too. We plan for a whole week. We don't always stick to the plan, though, but we are working on it. I enjoy sitting down and picking out things to eat and balancing out cals for the day. I DON'T like making grocery lists, though, nor going to the stores...we go to 3 or 4 different stores so that we can save money, I know: it seems that because of gas prices, that wouldn't save money but actually the stores aren't that far apart. We go to Target (they have an excellent food selection at the store we go to), a produce store, a regular grocery store and sometimes Costco. I hate putting the groceries away, too.

Keillynsmom: CONGRATS on being the biggest loser, and also for getting under 300lbs! That's great. You should be proud!

Well yesterday was somewhat good. I did bad at breakfast, which lasted until dinner, but dinner was okay. Today should be pretty good...leftovers from dinner last night and then something fairly healthy tonight for dinner. Today is a packing day and cleaning day.

Have a great day, Black Teamers!