Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 07-01-2024, 07:04 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution July 2024 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If youve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 07:05 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday-Darwin and Wallace's evolution papers render Linnean Society awestruck (1858)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Enjoying that good feeling of sitting at my own desk after a night in my own bed. A three-day visit with relatives needs only to pass the lowest bar - no one's feelings were hurt about anything. Did get to know a few things about my BIL which is a big deal since he's been in my life half a century.

I take special CREDIT moi for not having had a single M&M from the bowl that sat on the coffee table in front of me in the family room any time we were at their house. And for having not a single cinnamon roll from the package everyone else was taking from to add to their breakfast. It was good enough eating for a visit that included a restaurant and a party. Three times lunch was made on a buttery bun with their cold cuts. That served my cold cuts needs for a year. Their fridge only had ham and turkey; in previous years I satisfied my need for Italian salami with its nitrates. First time I've ever had Carrot Chips which will now replace baby carrots as my go to nibble food.

One hour in Connecticut driving home was in as torrential a downpour as I've ever driven through. I was actively searching for a safe place to pull off the road; I didn't consider parking in the break-down lane safe enough since visibility was so low it was possible to get hit by someone who thought they were on the highway. Oddly, we saw no accidents. It helped that many of us had our emergency lights blinking; the whole highway of cars kept well spaced driving about 30 MPH.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yes, Yes indeed and certainly, "CREDIT for not attempting to cure pain with food." Hope you figure out the right balance of exercise and rest to keep back pain at bay.

maryann – Congrats for being young enough to enjoy alternative hiphop/ rap music. Might inspire me to try harder. Sounds like you're having a blast.

curlyjax - I wish you good luck trying to get Barron to cease sending requests; they set up their web site such that I had to cancel by phone. Hope you got some of the rain that I drove through. When we got home, we'd had none - as in NONE. One dissapointed gardener DW.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 The Key to Success

My Story
For example, I've found that to lose excess weight and keep it off, it's important to do the following: . . .
  • Eliminate emotional eating.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 24.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-01-2024 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2024, 08:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went to Target after posting yesterday and bought two new pillows and a few other items. It occurred to me that my morning neck pain could be from my pillows which I haven't replaced in eons. I bought an expensive but very comfortable pillow and ooh is it lovely. I still have to find the right combo for propping myself up to read in bed or be on the laptop-two new pillows will be too much at once but good to have choices. Then I did 20 minutes on the elliptical which was enough-I probably could have done a bit more if I was entertained but I forgot to bring headphones. Later on I moved some stuff in the basement in prep for a trip to Savers as well as the dump later this week; there are lots of empty cardboard boxes I was saving to put stuff in, but there's a ridiculous amount at this point. Food was not great- I keep putting off writing out a plan.
The challenge for this week is when can I get the lawn done, in between the rain, DD sleeping during the day and a few appointments/water aerobics.
I'm working from home for two days so I need to get going. Wave to all!
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thrilled that I can change my details down a pound after another OP day. Challenge was helping my SIL serve HER inlaws of 29 a steak meal. I ate nothing from the meal. I ate only what I brought and had been planned. No one pointed at me and yelled "she didn't eat the dinner." Surprising. I kept 3 ounces of the steak for today for my low carb burrito with fresh cherry tomatoes. Exercise will be swimming in the lake and continuously walking among all the houses of the compound.

I feel real gratitude this morning. I have been assigned a perfect, tiny little cabin all to myself. I thanked the matriarch for her generosity. She is the daughter of a tobacco farmer and is 93. She is all grace. The lake is a perfect temperature for swimming. There are babies and rugrats from 9 mos to 11 year olds. Excellent to watch them nibble on food and then run for 3 hours. It is a good reminder to me how little food we need to be energetic.

My own DS has put himself on a meal plan to lose 10 pounds. He has always been very thin but I think beer is catching up to him in college. He is assigning himself 1700 calories. It is my guess he will lose the weight in a heartbeat. Sigh!

BBE: Welcome home.
Curly: I agree you can always find boxes. better to clear the space you can.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Monday

Its been quite eventful but here I am at the N house where its raining and really not very warm. The crown popped off my 2016 dental implant in the DDs bathroom yesterday which is a real drag but, on the positive side, I managed to catch it! Im now on soft food and eating only on one side of my mouth and rinsing with salt water and generally feeling a bit odd. I dont feel alone in this drama, though, as we recently had a conversation with gardenerjoy about the whole implant procedure. Im grateful for that. Ive managed to get an appointment for tomorrow and I hope the dentist will be able to cement the crown back on and that its nothing more complicated (and expensive, of course).

Food wasnt great before the tooth drama and this hasnt helped.

Sleep was lovely last night in my own bed.

Exercise - I need to do some.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 04:56 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

My back was more stiff than sore this morning and the hot tub helped with the stiffness. I'm definitely not back to normal, but I'm hopeful this lasts a few days rather than a few weeks.

I almost forgot! July 1 is the day that I celebrate another year of daily exercise. Eight years! And now, I'm headed out for a walk.

Exercise: 65, 1800/1800 minutes for June
100% of Ideal Food Day

silverbirch: My sympathies for the tooth problems. I'm impressed that you caught the crown before it went down the drain. I hope that saves on bother and expense.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-01-2024 at 05:11 PM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:53 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday-Bahia Independence Day: Defeat of Portuguese crown loyalists in Brazil (1823)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Our trip was only four days but we arrive home disoriented. Don't know the day of the week. Boring trip to the supermarket that was different because it was Monday morning instead of Tuesday. I hadn't realized that I see the same people at the supermarket every week - MY regulars, as if they were friends. I wasn't aware that my mind was storing that information. I was able to buy the carrot chips that I mentioned yesterday. The cashier (young) had never heard of them, but the bagging lady (middle aged) piped up, "Best thing ever. Just put them in the air fryer with salt, pepper and olive oil. They're delicious." Came home thinking that I'd found a perfect replacement for the potato chip: an otherwise innocuous veggie to hold salt and oil. Will pass on that recommendation even though DW assures me that a carrot chip cannot possibly hold as much oil as a potato chip.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. I'm encouraged to get back on track avoiding snacks because of my success ignoring M&Ms and cinnamon rolls for three days. Dinner was dahl taken out on the patio. I saw the beauty of our little space; DW saw how much work she should do before her garden club friends drop by on Sunday. Good news is that it's not a public tour, just the members of her club who are all Latin-name serious gardeners. On a previous visit, they totally entertained each other calling out the name of what they'd spotted, ignoring me as if a garden gnome.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for eight years of daily exercise. So encouraging to read that it can be done.

Silverbirch - That's some fast reflexes to catch the crown before it fell. Hard to send, with a straight face, congratulations to a UK friend for saving the crown. I wish you well continuing to attend to the details of selling your N house.

maryann That's strong willpower to help serve steak dinner to 29 in-law in-laws without indulging. Am jealous of your fresh cherry tomatoes; we're not there yet.

curlyjax - Do know about the problem of too many cardboard boxes. Around here, a "really good box" cannot be immediately flattened into the recycle bin. No, it's carefully taken downstairs and, often, carefully inserted into other boxes like Russian dolls. Smart to take care of yourself with new pillows.

Readers -
Quote:

My Story
For example, I've found that to lose excess weight and keep it off, it's important to do the following: . . .
  • Give yourself credit.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:49 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Up at 5:15 this morning after a toss and turner of a sleep. Sigh!. I don't know if it is surroundings or food plan But it is taking me hours to fall asleep. My SIL and BIL and I hiking a 7 miler today. These are the two with whom I will be hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Yesterday was OP with another drop in the scale. I am swimming and paddleboarding and not adjusting the calories with it. As i said, I look at the littles around here. They nibble and run for hours. I am going to try and do the same. Food plan for the day was my first real challenge in 10 days. The family is dining on board a boat on Big Bear Lake. I have know Idea what to expect. i imagine I will eat the protein served and the veggies. That is all I can plan. Also, I want to pad the snacks on the hike. Nope. This is the perfect opportunity to check my theory that I use exercise as an excuse to overeat.

Silverbirch: Welcome home and Yuck. I get very uncomfortable with dental stuff.
BBE: DW's impending gardening friends remind me why I invite people into my home and life. It forces me to periodically clean things up.
Joy: Happy exercise anniversary.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:24 AM   #9  

I had a team meeting with my colleague yesterday, which means we met for lunch and talked shop for a bit. We're all working from home for two days due to some cleaning being done in the building, so we figured we may as well take the opportunity to indulge. I had an excellent cobb salad and took some of it home for later. I sorted out more paperwork later in the day and went to my water aerobics class. This time I really pushed myself to move quicker and it did feel like an actual workout. I forgot to bring my towel, oops but fortunately its warm out so it didn't matter. Food was mostly OP. My aunt's helper called to chat for about an hour about plans- I think she's moving my aunt into the assisted living next week, and is finding deals on furniture for a small place.
I have started the day out with an eggwhite omelette with veggies and will figure out the rest from there.
Gardenerjoy-happy exercise anniversary! that is awesome.
Silverbirch-glad you're back snug in your own bed. Hope the crown fix is quick and cheap.
Bill-had to giggle at the idea of you being a garden gnome. I' see the overgrown lawn and greenery which I feel like I just cut, but I see the beauty too.
Maryann-great job bringing your food and sticking to it, not to mention making an overall plan.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:29 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

The back pain is again improved over yesterday but not back to normal. Yesterday's walk on pavement seemed to make it worse, so today's exercise will be gentle cardio in ten-minute segments, using a YouTube video for guidance. I'll also try a yoga session for lower back pain.

Exercise: 70, 70/1800 minutes for July
90% of Ideal Food Day

BillBlueEyes: I'm impressed by how many days you ignored M&Ms. I can see that gives you a head start to getting back to normal after a vacation.

maryann: Protein and veggies sounds like a terrific plan when you don't know what food you will encounter.

curlyjax: In order to get to my brother's hot tub with all the right accoutrements, I hang them together in one place in my closet along with the tote bags that I use to carry them -- swimsuit, cover up, and towels. I use swim shoes on his deck, so I keep them on the floor just below those hangers. I still have to remember to bring water and a sun hat, but it helps to have most of things ready to go.
Old 07-02-2024, 03:31 PM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

Todays focus was my body. First there was a Zoom call with my foot/gait coach. Ive had some time off recently as life became too complicated but decided to get back to it (and, of course, wouldn't you know, lifes got complicated again). Anyway, I think its often useful to take a break and reassess. We talked about some tightness in my back (L side) which Ive known about for several months. Ive come away with three simple exercises to do and the coach will send me videos of how to do them as backup.

Then I had to race along the coast to the dentist who, yes!, was able to cement the crown back in place with the special soft dental cement. Brief PSA follows. When you have an implant, food gets stuck between the teeth more readily because of the larger gaps in the gums. Food getting stuck can lead to inflammation which may lift the crown upwards so it pings off. PSA ends.

Im still on soft food so I bought some Cullen skink (smoked haddock and potato soup) which Ive had with a couple of oatcakes. I also bought some chocolate which was a mistake.

Food: lets say 6/10.

Sleep continues to be sound and peaceful in my own bed.

Exercise - morning exercises plus working with the gait coach which is quite intense.

gardenerjoy, many congratulations for eight years of daily exercise! Splendid work. I hope the yoga helps with your stiff back.

Bill, great to be back home. Thank you for the carrot chip recommendation. Good to know about that. Remain gnomic in the face of the Latin-speaking hordes! (I laughed about saving the crown!)

curlyjax, great to hear that your aunts helper is moving things forward so well. Also that you went to the water aerobics class again! Credit.

maryann, enjoy your hiking today and good luck in testing your exercise/food theory. How interesting to see Big Bear Lake mentioned. Big Bear* himself, Big for short, played a large part in our lives for some time when the DD was small. I believe hes still around somewhere. In fact, I think I saw him recently at the S house. Hes a very pleasant and broad-minded person.
  • a teddybear, of course
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 07:03 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday-Samuel de Champlain, founder of Quebec City, born(1567,La Rochelle, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Experienced success with a minor action with a bank. Two weeks ago, I'd tried to close a small account. They'd even asked me why, as if offended. I emailed the required paperwork along with the required scan of my driver's license. Patiently checked the mail every day looking for the check. Yesterday, I called again. "There's nothing in our inbox; our firewall must have blocked it because the scan of your driver's license was larger than a normal email." The good news is that I was able to just FORWARD my copy of the original email with its attachments. Within a few hours, I received an All Done response and I am no longer able to log into the account - a good sign that it's closed. CREDIT moi for another small adult action that loomed large because it couldn't be crossed off my list as DONE.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner on the patio of grilled salmon was in perfect weather. DW feels less overwhelmed with the work to do on her gardens before her garden club members arrive because a friend had dropped by and said her plants looked "Healthy." That's good enough for her.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Breaking cardio into ten-minute segments makes it sound do-able. Good news that your back is moving in the right direction.

Silverbirch - Adding Cullen skink to my gotta-try-this list - sounds delish. Interesting that each new crown calls for more thorough brushing of the teeth. Congrats to you and your dentist for getting it back in place with minimal effort.

maryann A 7 mile hike around Big Bear Lake is a great warm up for your Tahoe Rim Trail hike. Big Bear Lake looks like a jewel, itself. Hope your comfortable sleep returns.

curlyjax - I enjoy looking up Cobb Salad every time it's mentioned. What a great way to have a healthy meal under one name. Your aunt's move into assisted living is going more smoothly than most.

Readers -
Quote:

My Story

You don't yet know how to do all these things - or how to get yourself to continually do these things - but you will.

Old 07-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #13  

I got my annual review done on zoom yesterday which was quick and painless. Things are good there so I'm certainly grateful for that. Excitement was going to the dentist for a cleaning which was also fine, and a discussion again with the dentist about how orthopedic surgeons prescribe antibiotics for dental procedures after hip surgery, but dentists don't think they're actually necessary. I took them as they were prescribed but it does seem a bit random. My original dentist retired as did my favorite hygienist, and I had a new young girl who wasn't very chatty. I left feeling sad about changes in life and that feeling stayed with me and propelled me into they abyss of depression and loneliness. Which propelled me into eating poorly. What is wrong with me, why can't I just stick to staying on track and finally losing weight, ugh.
I'm having my heart mri today which is kind of taking up a chunk of the day and I can't drink any coffee beforehand which makes me grumpy. I've got to do something to pull myself out of this rut, but it will have to wait until later in the day.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

The lower back is, again, a bit better. Ice still feels good, and I'll continue to be gentle with exercise. Our weather prediction is for thunderstorms followed by heat and humidity, so indoor exercise seems a good plan, anyway.

Exercise: 60, 130/1800 minutes for July
95% of Ideal Food Day
Old 07-03-2024, 01:34 PM   #15  

Good Morning, Coaches.

A small milestone. I am back to 183 which I left in February and could NOT return despite my best efforts. This proves a few important things. I can still lose weight. After six months of closing down school and "watching" what I eat I had convinced myself I was insulin resistant. So my food plan is right FOR ME. I think that is so important. I truly believe that everybody has to find the combination of foods that work for them. I have not been hungry and have had no sugar cravings. I also note that the plan might change in the future but for today I am happy. The other important thing is, as much as I have berated and balked at it, preplanning and weighing has worked. But here is the mystery? Why now? Why am I so willing right now to do it. I do no think the answer is simple. It wasn't simple when I was ready to put down the alcohol. Addiction is part discipline but I always think part Grace ( call it serendipitous or timing if you like.) I will credit myself with hanging in until it kicked in. I have been posting here for nearly a year to get back to 175. So I think continuing to fight the good fight, research, try and fail, all added up to this current pattern. I cannot say what I may be doing tomorrow but for today i am willing.

The dinner boat was made easy. The family was bringing the food ( fried chicken and cupcakes.) I simply ate before I got on.

I slept well although I did take 2 benadryl. Today's exercise will be swimming and kayaking I think. I am so blessed to be up in the mountains. Back home where DH is working is 109.

Curly: I can totally empathize with one moment of gratitude followed by depression. That is me all over.
Silverbirch: Gait and walk do indeed need to be revisited. So important for everything you do. I realized on the practice hike my right hip will not magically make this trip. I need to put the stretching time in.
BBE: you are a dog with a bone closing these accounts. Good for you.