Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 07:09 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - New Zealand becomes 1st country to grant all women the right to vote (1893)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It rained all day. Wasn't conducive to getting out for exercise. My heroic act was to put on a raincoat to bring the emptied trash cans back from the curb. And to run up and down the stairs to the basement in search of a lost sock discovered while we were folding laundry. Oddly enough, I found a different sock, not yet reported lost, stuck in between the moving drum of the washer and its door. Never seen a sock stuck there before. Wouldn't be long before it slipped all the way in to go to sock heaven, never to be seen again. The searched-for lost sock was on the concrete floor of the basement in front of the dryer. So I emerged as double hero with two socks when my quest was to find one. Rainy days lower the bar for what passes for excitement around here.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner comfortably consumed inside with no desire to sit in the cold rain. Entree was meatballs and spaghetti. Meatballs - not a usual dish - because we'd bought them for a DGD sleepover, but one bag holds more than one meal. Life works because DW digs through the freezer and tosses or cooks that which drifts to the back. She had also discovered an unopened package of maple flavored chicken breakfast sausages that'd been bought by yours truly several years ago without considering that we NEVER cook for breakfast. Apparently, they were on sale or looked appealing. Two years past "Use By" date is beyond her forgiveness range.

onebyone - I wish you well dealing with news about your malignant skin wound. You're lucky to be near a world-class hospital for treatment. Kudos for having your head in order to clear out some outgrown clothes - however the sentimental value.

Erika (eusebius) – Sounds good that you're back to having a bunch of students. Batching some food is worthy of Kudos.

Silverbirch - Yay for a well earned day of rest. Hope your SO also gets a break since your DD's move has had you both working hard. Thanks to St. David for ”Do the little things in life” - neat idea to remember.

maryann – Congrats for some serious hiking. Fun snacks to bring to the theater.

Glider - What a neat list of thing to give credit for. Yes, credit for thoughts seems fair game. I work on reporting a credit here to my on-line coaches for an exercise and an eating step. Lately I've been taking credit for each little step letting go of 'stuff' that's accumulated. Sometimes I give myself credit just for adulting steps because I've often procrastinated in the past. You remind me that I could give myself credit more more of my daily activities that are important to me: making the salad for dinner; kitchen cleanup; keeping up with the reading for my courses. It's useful to me to revisit this. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 7 Stage 4 - The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Raising Your Maintenance Range

Keep in mind that you might decide to raise your maintenance weight at some point. This will probably happen for one of three reasons: . . .
  • 1. Your metabolism has slowed or your physiology is different. If your metabolism changes - due to age, a medical condition, menopause, or a medication - you may decide to remain at your current calorie level and allow yourself to gain a few pounds.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 184.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:30 AM   #107  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks,

OK, I think I slept somewhat better last night. I still feel very sleepy. The other day my 12 year old was playing a little arrangement of a Beethoven piece, and at the top of the page it explained the plot of “The Ruins of Athens”. It said Athena had been asleep for 2000 years. To me that sounded pretty good 🤣

Consistency continues. I’m in a good little routine with batching. Cannellini and veggie chowder for lunch; for dinner, a kidney bean, sauerkraut and “cheese” sauce concoction over rice that tasted remarkably like a Reuben sandwich.

Today is another long one but at least I have a couple of breaks in the middle of the day to practice and work on web stuff.

BillBlueEyes - I think “again” is the ultimate sign of approval from a 3 year old, lol. I remember spending inordinate amounts of money on shoes for that ever growing creature. (at 20, she still loves to spend money on shoes lol!) Yay for being a sock hero!

maryann - I do admire your ability to seize life by the reins! Hiking and Agatha Christie = awesome.

onebyone - oh my goodness, hugs to you!! Sunnybrook is indeed the best we have in this country and I do hope they come through for you. Meanwhile, exercise and healthy choices are the way to go!

silverbirch - that’s awesome about St. David. I think Mother Teresa said something similar about doing small things with great love. Yay for recovery days!

Glider - hello and welcome! Personally I am pretty straightforward about giving myself credit - mostly it’s for consistency with my eating and exercise, and drinking my water - doing the actions that get results.

Waving to all! Happy Tuesday!
Old 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I was running late yesterday so didn't get to personals.I can barely remember Sunday but I know made a spinach cotttage cheese casserole as well as banana chocolate chip muffins. The casserole is a wonderful comfort food and I used less cheese which was also lower fat. After work I went to PT-back after a month due to covid-and got a leg massage as part of it which was wonderful. There is a seafood place nearby that I forget about, and it was a rainy day, so I zipped over and got seafood chowder and 2 stuffed clams. Pricey but so good.
I need to figure out when I can do the PT strengthening exercises as I don't have time in the am; maybe right after work before my snack.
Onebyone-goodness! thinking of you and glad you can get this sorted out at an excellent place.
Wave to all!
Old 09-19-2023, 11:35 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

DH and I went over my retirement numbers last night. As usual we got into a huge fight. Sigh!!! It is really the last topic of "spiral into chaos" fighting we do. All I want him to say is congrats for this retirement you have built. I'll go out with 70% of my highest year. All he wants to do is troubleshoot, figure out how much my 401K will last if I live until 100, and then casually call it "beer money." Inside his head (apparently) he is saying it is amazing but I never hear it. Double sigh! We were able to pull it back together but I felt down and a little defeated this morning. Still the decision is done. I am calling this year my "victory lap."

Today I get a post in in part of 1 of getting an implant. I suppose i won't be feeling great. No exercise today but yes to OP. I have soup made for lunch.

BBE: How long have you been retired and what is your biggest trick to a successful retirement?
silverbirch. three cheers for turning a key in. You are killing it.
curly: We have a saying in AA. First things first. You deserve leg massages and pt exercises.
onebyone: You are in my thoughts.
Glider: Once over 200 pounds, I never have to go back there again. I give myself big credit for posting here 13 years. It is a reminder of a daily intention to health.
Eusebius: routine is the reason I have maintain my weightloss. I need to remember that.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #110  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

Another recovery day today as I’m still feeling rather dazed after the past week. I woke too early and got up but then caught up later after breakfast when I returned to bed full of porage which is very warming and relaxing. I’d rather have the full whack of sleep all in one go but this is a good alternative if I’m able to fit it in. I spent some time packing yet more books and some other items. These are mostly things that I like rather than “ornaments”. I realise that I have a collection, I suppose we could call it, of baskets which I’ve inherited or been given by a friend who makes them. Five in all. I’ve put them on the empty bookshelves for a bit. Actually, I think that was my excitement for the day.

glider, hello and that’s a lovely name you’ve chosen. Glad you’re here! I give myself credit for anything that encourages me or I’m pleased with. You could say it’s a bit random but I see it as a steady building up of resilience. So from my brief report above: recovery day, porage, packing, noticing and enjoying the baskets and their connections.

I’d like to do more personals but these reading glasses are giving me a headache on the computer. I’ve got an appointment for an eye test on Thursday so I’m hoping for a new pair of computer glasses very soon.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:59 PM   #111  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for a long walk with a friend yesterday. CREDIT for recognizing that today my body wants something more like a rest day. I sometimes have a hard time accepting that sometimes less exercise is the correct answer.

CREDIT for following my food plan yesterday and today. I'm grateful that I've got everything in place in such a way that it wasn't very difficult.

CREDIT for posting today after a two-day break that I didn't really intend or need. Posting is a helpful habit for me.

Exercise: 80, 1045/1500 minutes for September

Welcome, Glider!

onebyone: I'm sorry that it turned out the bump on your head was malignant. I'm a cancer survivor of 37 years, so I know both that it's scary and that many of us have very good outcomes. I'm glad that you have a great medical facility for your next steps.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:27 AM   #112  

Thanks for the responses about giving oneself credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
How did you come to read the books of Dr. Judith Beck?
Beck's been on my radar for a couple years before I started the program. I might have heard it about it first on reddit. When I got the first book and skimmed it, I thought it was a clear cut above most other self-help books. (Recently I started skimming Atomic Habits and it seems to be one of few books on the same level.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
And how did you find our forum here on 3FC?
I think I found this forum from google. It was the only place I found where people doing Beck were actively discussing it.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:10 AM   #113  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default checking in

Coaches:

Hi. Well I've told the two people closest to me that I really needed to tell about my next steps to resolve this wound and then to see if thats all it is. These two peole are.rock solid 100% supportive friends. It brought me to tears. I have not heard from Sunnybrook yet. Thank you all for the good wishes. I can feel them.

My friends advise waiting no longer than Thursday before I start chasing down my appointment. I didnt get an appointment today. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

I had a fantastic pottery class tonight with my students. We are on a roll. Tonight we learned how to make a soft slab object. Those who roll out pasta or pie dough have a distinct advantage. We made the "whimsical candy dish." First we create a small bowl with a rim and then create characters to populate the rim. People made tiki huts, mushrooms, xmas scenes, roses, forests, their pets. We also went over projects from a few weeks ago and made small trays for a project two weeks from now. It was a good night.

glider: welcome! Thanks for asking your question about credits. I will silently credit myself for anything that I've been focused on and trying to improve/change. I need the extra encouragement. I just started adding a daily walk of any length to my routine. Thats worth a credit anytime I think of it almost! But certainly when I am done I take credit. Credits I mention here are for particularily difficult habits or behaviours I am either working on changing or managed to do that day. I need to acknowledge.progress or efforts to progress as my default setting is always to dismiss my efforts and then it's a short slide into "this will never work. why bother?" which is very easy to fulfill but does me no good.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-20-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #114  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Salisbury Cathedral in south west England inaugurated (1258)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Boring (the good kind) trip to the supermarket. Feeling more annoyed than tempted by the Halloween candy. I am intrigued by the HUGE pumpkins for only $7.99. It's my role to buy pumpkins for the front porch - but I'm not "allowed" to buy them too early. When they are outside subject to freeze/thaw cycles, they become mushy and melt into the wood porch - capable of leaving a permanent stain. Have to buy one that the grands will figure out represent: me (huge), DW (large), 7 yo DGD (medium), 3 yo DFGD (small). For several years (before the DFGD) I'd gotten a tennis ball sized gourd to represent the DGD; she loved it. Then one year she pointed out that it was "for babies". So I had to race out to get a medium sized one for a "bigger girl." Gotta keep on my toes in this role as grandad.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the leftover dish of chicken thighs cooked with cherry tomatoes even though there was only enough for each to have one thigh instead of two. Was sufficient meat for a meal even if less than our custom. Wouldn't hurt to work harder on eating less. Accompanied by a chunk of the baguette which upgrades any meal. Lunch was two leftover meatballs with pita chips. Meat twice in one day isn't my norm since retirement. When I was working, lunch was always a meat-filled sub of some sort. Frequently lots of meat. Kinda hard to remember that I used to eat so much.

Excitement was learning in my class on aging that exercise is the best thing I can do to stop my cells from settling into a state where they don't readily multiply and don't fight infection very vigorously. 36 trillion cells (average adult male) all giving up at once. Death certificates of very old people frequently list pneumonia as the cause when it's just the name of the first opportunistic bad guy who slithered in because the defenses were all tired. An active member of the class whispered to me that he is 95 years old. Encouraging to see a person that age agile and active. Despite his trillions of cells doing less and less.

onebyone - What a fun pottery class - you do seem to bring out the whimsical in your students. Wish you well getting Sunnybrook to make an appointment soon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, a rest day every now and then is good for both body and soul. Congrats for running your life so that keeping to your food plan is possible.

Erika (eusebius) – 2000 years of sleep sounds scary. Waking up 2000 years ago wouldn't feel comfortable with Roman soldiers marching about everywhere. Kudos for continuing your batch cooking.

Silverbirch - Can't read that you had porage for breakfast without hearing “Please, sir, I want some more,” from Oliver Twist. A collection of five baskets is just the kind of thing that would drive me crazy debating to keep or not.

maryann – Congrats for going through the hard conversation with your DH and emerging - even if it was rough. We men have a hard time remembering when it's the time to sit back and just say, "Congratulations." What's worked for me in retirement is taking courses. At first, I started reading a dozen books on my list and found that pursuing a topic with a group, via a course, was even more fun. And certainly more focused. At one point I had 20 books going at once; I'm good at reading several at once, but twenty was beyond beyond.

curlyjax - So neat to get back to a forgotten seafood place for some delicious stuff. Banana chocolate chip muffins sounds like a mom taking care of her DD.

Glider -
Atomic Habits Atomic Habits
is on my to-read list. Good recommendation to think it on the level of Dr. Beck's books.

Readers -
Quote:

Keep in mind that you might decide to raise your maintenance weight at some point. This will probably happen for one of three reasons: . . .
  • 2. You have made a reasonable decision to exercise less. You are still exercising enough to be healthy, but you don't have the time right now to do extra exercise; or perhaps an injury has limited your exercise capabilities.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:01 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Stayed OP at work except for a few butterscotch candies. I've been drinking lemonade at lunch to make sure I was getting enough liquid in, but I should probably stop that as its more sugar than I need, and I'm doing so much better physically, even my cough is finally on its way out. I did a few errands on the way home for DD including picking up ice cream at a favorite stand and then of course I got some for myself even though 'I wasn't craving it, boo. Dinner was a piece of a baguette and some cooked steak tips I picked up a the store. I have GOT to get back to planning food and sticking to it! I did get my PT exercises done at least- I decided to sneak them in at work and may continue to do so.
Silverbirch- I do like to fall back into bed on the weekend if I haven't gotten enough sleep, its very cozy. Recovery days are very good for our bodies and minds.
Maryann- yay for figuring out retirement and pulling it together after feeling glum.
Glider-I give myself credit here, and demerits as well of which there seem to be many recently!
Onebyone- so glad you have two rock solid friends to confide in.
Eusebius-you're doing great with batching! Glad you're getting more sleep, its such a help to feel good.
Bill-that is adorable that you get different sized pumpkins. I have a feeling DD may want one this y ear-certain things from childhood do last. If I put it out too early it also attracts animals.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #116  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Quick check in today. i appear to have rejoined weight watchers! I guess I was needing more structure and support, and they had a great deal on the monthly membership. Let's see how it goes ... Waving to all!!
Old 09-20-2023, 03:42 PM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

This morning's excitement was shopping at Whole Foods after planning the next couple of weeks of meals. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for a week from Friday. That means next week has two days of low-fiber and one day of liquid diet before the procedure.

I'll shop next week, too, but I thought I might want some of the special and weird foods from Whole Foods instead of the supermarket. The most interesting thing was lime popsicles -- I packed a cooler so that I could get them home before they melted. Popsicles are allowed on the all-liquid day but only if they aren't red or purple. Which isn't that easy to find -- kids favor grape and strawberry popsicles.

On another topic, I noticed the cost of items with and without Ultra-Processed Food ingredients. I found a couple of brands of granola with zero UPF ingredients. But they cost twice as much as the granolas that include "natural flavors" on the ingredient list. As I recall, from the book that many of us read, Ultra-Processed People by Christ Van Tulleken, the author especially avoided "natural flavors" because that likely meant that those were needed because something else in that product tastes bad.

To not let the perfect be the enemy of the good, my compromise is to buy the better granolas when they're on sale. When they aren't on sale, I'll buy the cheaper granola that has the least objectionable ingredients.

Exercise: 30, 1075/1500 minutes for September

Glider: I've heard good things about Atomic Habits, too.

onebyone: The whimsical candy dish sounds fun! This is true for me, too: "I need to acknowledge progress or efforts to progress as my default setting is always to dismiss my efforts and then it's a short slide into "this will never work. why bother?"

BillBlueEyes: I love the story about DGD suddenly associating mini-gourds with babies. Such an excellent grandad to fix the problem quickly.

curlyjax: Excellent idea to get your PT exercises done at work -- that's great for when you need a bit of a break, or you have a slow moment.

eusebius: I'll be curious to hear how Weight Watchers works these days. My guess is that it can be a great combination with Beck.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:41 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Yesterday I had post implant dentistry. Of note was my response to the anesthesia. I immediately had a heart flutter and hopped off the seat. Apparently it happens in a few cases because of epinephrine reaction. Crazy and the dentist seemed pretty concerned. It all calmed down and the surgery went very weel. Lots of ibruprofen and tylenol plus antibiotics. No pain but exhausted. I ate Haggen- Daz ice cream which is the only kind I will eat. Probably ot necessary but it counted as a soft food dinner. Hmmmmm.

I was going to exercise today. I bet I let myself off the hook. Grrrrrrrr! Food OP.

BBE; Yes courses sound great especially gemology - guided.
Curly: I just baked a couple of sweet potatoes for lunches. I reminded myself I use to prebak them in the microwave before and they were easy peasy for lunch.

Wave to everybody.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:58 AM   #119  
in development

Default Thursday morning

Quick post from the train as I'm en route eye test and hair cut. The dawn is beautiful this morning. I'm slowly disentangling myself from the last week. I'm hoping for a better food landscape now I'm out of the clutches of cheap hotels and random cafes.

Thanks to glider for reminding me of the value of good food planning. A solid start with porage, made with muesli and milk plus berties, so far from thin gruel, Bill! I'll have a takeaway coffee when I arrive. Lunch could be in a nice pub as I have some kind of money off thing. Everything on the menu will have a calorie count which I think is the law here now. My challenge is to find something that fits my wholefood/vegetable focused diet but without chilli (am allergic). I'd like to feel satisfied without recourse to a pud. Though they do small pud+hot drink. Tea - think it will be salmon as I saw the SO had taken it out of the freezer. Probably with potatoes and some kind of greens.

Hope your day goes well.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:52 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Empress Dowager Cixi seizes power to rule China for nearly 50 years (1898)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Excitement was picking up the (8 yo) DGD from Second Grade. New number! she just turned eight. When we get her, she and friends no longer play on the climbing structure. They exit the rear door of the school onto the large grass playground that is bordered by an area with trees. They race there - apparently they aren't allowed in that area doing school hours. Nothing makes the heart beat faster than to see a bunch of 7-8 yo kids disappear into an unknown space. They just run through the paths, perhaps feeling naughty. We stood with the other parents except for the one who went in to see that all was well.

Then four of them wrestled, falling over each other. All acting like the boys that I see tumbling about. Lots of body contact. All right in front of the parents so it must have been innocent. If I'd had to testify in court, I'd had had to tell the judge that the two girls were the aggressors. Rowdy bunch. They finally burned off the day's frustration; we drove the DGD to her home to let her open a birthday present from us - a lunch bag that "just happened" to be a perfect match to the new backpack that her mom had bought at the beginning of school. This was organized a month ago by her mom - the world's most organized person.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was the last two meatballs with the remaining end of the baguette. Best lunch ever. DW reminded me that I can put a couple of frozen meatballs in the microwave anytime I want - they're precooked. Frightening thought that I could so easily drift back into a meat lunch. I suspect that the meatballs taste so good due to their hefty salt content - and other UPF spices and flavorings. No doubt there's a touch of fructose in there also since it's added to everything. I'm better off with a peanut butter sandwich. Dinner was our standard Tuesday grilled salmon. Continue to marvel that something that good is a standard meal. Life is good.

onebyone - Waving. Hope today is the day that you get your appointment.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - So interesting that the non-UPF foods cost more at Whole Foods. That feeds into my paranoia already high knowing that the food companies are owned by the tobacco companies. Capitalism is one strange beast. I like your compromise to "not let the perfect be the enemy of the good" when buying granola.

Erika (eusebius) – LOL at "I appear to have rejoined weight watchers!" Kudos for taking a step that seems right for you.

Silverbirch - How fun to know as you enjoy dawn that your SO will have salmon for your Tea. Good that you're unraveling from last week. Glad that the UK has upgraded their version of porage from that of Dickens.

maryann – What a surprise at the dentist office. Glad that it's not a concern for you. Hope all is well.

curlyjax - Yep, enough liquid is important and sugar gets dumped into every liquid that doesn't come straight from a mountain stream. (Don't mind me; I'm on a fructose rant.) Getting a pumpkin for your adult DD is just the coolest thing ever.

Readers -
Quote:

• 3. You want to have more calories to spend. Perhaps you want to eat out more or indulge in an extra glass of wine several evenings a week. I want you to have a wonderful life! Of course, I want you to stay in control of your eating and weight, but I don't want you to stay so focused on the number on the scale and your daily calorie allotment that you miss out on getting as much enjoyment as you can.
Closed Thread