Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #61  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My blood pressure was down today. Yay!

I increased walking and decreased caffeine earlier in the month and that didn't seem to have an impact (although, I'm assuming that they helped).

The most recent change I made was a daily 20-minute yoga routine that is deep breathing and slow, gentle stretches. Four days in a row and my blood pressure is down.

Of course, one data point isn't enough, but it was very encouraging this morning!

Exercise: 65, 520/1500 minutes for September

eusebius: Your website looks great! I love the clean interface and contemporary styling.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:47 PM   #62  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Gymn this morning which was great. I like it so much. I had about five weeks off but I seem to have much more underlying fitness than I expected. Other than that, a quiet day for me. I’m more or less packed for the next few days. It’s mid-evening here and I’ll pick up the SO and DD from the station a bit later on. Her flat is all packed up and ready for the removal firm next Saturday.

Personals later, I hope.

Eusebius, nice website, Erika! I've only had a quick look but wondered if you want to have your home address on it?
Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 AM   #63  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks,

Ok so I have gotten back on track as of yesterday. No weight loss yet. I will keep going. I do feel a lot better physically though. My body may be in shock because I have to get up an hour and a bit earlier to get to the university on time. We shall see.

Thank you folks for looking at my website and your kind comments! When I finish the phase 3 project I’ll share it here too. silverbirch - that is a good point about my home address. I maybe should put a more general neighbourhood indicator.

New students are great and I’m excited to start phase 2 of my course which is about the business side of things. I’m in the middle of a video about limiting beliefs about money. This is very enlightening. I think I have limiting beliefs about many things.

BillBlueEyes - what a great street party. Interesting perspective from the Chinese lady. Battery tester sounds like a cool gadget. Re the food: OH WELL. I’m with you there.

curlyjax - well your DD will be very happy with her shiny new phone! Well done on your healthy food prep.

maryann - big kudos for exercise and food prep! I can relate to the emotions around aging parents. It’s wonderful that they are doing great though.

gardenerjoy - yay for lower blood pressure! And all the healthy stuff you’re doing MUST be helping.

silverbirch - yay for the gym and a quiet day!

Waving to all! Happy Tuesday!
Old 09-12-2023, 07:23 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Four teens discover 17,000 year old cave paintings (1940, Lascaux, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The day's schedule had to be juggled so that today I can drive DW to a doctor's appointment this afternoon where her eyes will be dilated. Felt odd doing a supermarket run early Monday morning. I'm used to seeing "my crowd" there since I go about the same time each week. Place was full of strangers, LOL. But they had everything that I needed - again feeling strange celebrating that since sparse shelves began appearing after the pandemic. They had exactly one bottle of the salad dressing that DW uses. I grabbed it. They hadn't had any for the past two trips. Seems like it's the most popular variety of this brand. For the life of me I don't understand why the distributor doesn't just stock more of it.

But one problem. I knew that we were having dahl for dinner; as I walked past the whole wheat naan a package jumped into my cart. At least that's how I explained it to DW later. It went well with the dahl. We took some solace that it was whole wheat. Small solace since the rest of it is oil and flour. Despite that, eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Had another tomato salad with dinner. Still just the best. A bunch of tomatoes are on the window sill waiting to be eaten. Not that many left on the vines in the garden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay, indeed, for the drop in your blood pressure reading. Hope you can keep at least some caffeine in your diet.

Erika (eusebius) – Hope that stomach gets back in working order.

Silverbirch - Waving back to somewhere in Wales where you're driving about with your DD. (Or so I guess, but I've misplaced the program of your travels, LOL.) Congrats to your DD and SO for getting her flat disassembled for the removal firm.

maryann – It's encouraging that your mom still wants to travel despite losing some of her confidence in navigating the airport. Kudos for a bunch of exercise.

curlyjax - Ouch for the not-unexpected news that a new phone is the better price choice. You'll be sending your DD off to her new career with the newest and best. Good luck saving a trip to the DMV.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 7 Stage 4 - The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

And even though you may not become as slim as you had always hoped, I will bet that you have still achieved most of the items in your Advantages Deck and that you life and health are greatly improved. Don't forget about how much better things are now!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 183.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Partly productive trip for my car needs. I went to my insurance company but the don't hand out the little sticker that goes on your license. So I went to the RMV and got that quickly for the car, but couldn't get the duplicate registration for the other car as the RMV doesn't have a record of it being insured ,even though I had the insurance paper with me. So I had to go back to my insurance company for an official form, and then I'll go back another day. At least they're in walking distance of each other.
Food wasn't too good as I did some emotional eating after getting into a kerfuffle with DD again, its so exhausting.
Woke up earlier than I wanted so maybe i'll get something done this morning.
Maryann-big credit indeed for walking before work and getting a lot of soup done.
Gardenerjoy-interesting that yoga is so effective, that's great.
silverbirch-great to hear that underlying fitness is still there after 5 weeks-I'm hoping mine is too. so nice that you love being at the gym.
Eusebius-yay for back on track. Your course sounds very interesting.
Bill-I can see why that naan jumped into your cart, its perfect with Dahl! Yay for enjoying tomatoes that are left.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:46 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was one of those days when the tumblers of the universe clicked and God drops a three ton "glimpse of his plans at your feet." I have never imagined it. Not being able to say too much until November, I can say that it is a move to a rather iconic 1914 home on a famous river. DH is in the process of a farm land exchange to make pieces he owns contiguous in order to set up his nephew to run the business. The new piece comes with the house which he didn't want. ( farmland in California often has a house thrown in. ) He took me to see it for the first time yesterday. I walked in and knew it was home. DH was dumbfounded never dreaming I would move to the country. I didn't think I would ever move to the country but there you have it. I looked around our house in our little city and realized all our pieces of furniture we would take are in that era. I think of the pieces that I will inherit from my folks and they will all fit beautifully. I think of my determination for a retirement date that clarified in my mind. I wouldn't be commuting There is an office with a separate entrance in the house. I think of the house I am in now which has been increasingly less home like. neighbors to the east and west have allowed multiple people to move in with barking dogs, multiple cars, and pot smoke every night when I open the window. I have been growing discontent.

So there you have it. My possible next life at 60. Wow. So happy to be able to share a little of the journey here because I am sworn to secrecy . I can't even tell family - only DS.

Funny when this happens you want your new life to start NOW.

I am late to school because I have been googling 1914 restorations. The house is filled to the brim with cr**** but the bones are beautiful along with the exposed dark beams, 1920 decorative glass and built ins. Sigh!

OK personals tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:48 PM   #67  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

The DD and I are racketing around Wales and have arrived at our destination. First she got rid of a lot of the tension and emotion of the last few days. Then we warmed up her driving with a few turns around the business park in the new car. Finally, we took turns as we drove to the small town where she will take her test. We only met two mental drivers en route (pretty good, in my view) which took in some spectacular countryside and no dual carriageways. She’s quite a good driver but needs more practice. Tomorrow we’ll follow the routes I’ve mapped and do a lot of the fiddly bits. It was a good idea to make some nice sandwiches. I’m feeling quite tired now.

gardenerjoy, great data point about the blood pressure. Yoga is great.

eusebius, I’d certainly recommend a more general neighbourhood indicator. And consider whether your lovely pic of you outside the house identifies where you live. Such a pain to have to think like this but better to be safe than sorry.

Bill, sorry to hear that you’ve reached the tomatoes on the window sill stage. It’s been a wonderful crop for you this year.

curlyjax, kerfuffles are so exhausting. I usually fall asleep but it all puts me off kilter which means I can’t think straight about food later. Beaming sympathy.

maryann, your secret is so thrilling! Thanks for trusting us with it.

Last edited by silverbirch; 09-12-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:58 PM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

We took Dear Brother and his wife out last night. A belated birthday that got delayed since we had COVID during his actual birthday. As others noted recently, restaurant meals just don't seem worth it, these days. Nobody makes delicious healthy food that we really like better than we do.

The company was good, though!

I'm enjoying maryann's secret and silverbirch's travels and everyone else's stories. Tomorrow's post is likely to be late and short, again, so I wanted to acknowledge that I'm reading everyone's posts.

Exercise: 70, 590/1500 minutes for September
Old 09-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Church of Holy Sepulchre consecrated in Jerusalem (335 CE)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The juggled schedule worked; I went to class in the morning and drove DW to her eye doctor's office in the afternoon where she was measured for a new prescription for glasses. She was glad not to be driving home with dilated eyes. I was hero. Got to enjoy that the trees along the highway are still green with little sign of impending Fall.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was on the patio despite mosquitos attempting to bother DW being foiled because she'd put on long-sleeved shirt and pants for protection. Not me. I was hit exactly four times before they quit leaving me for an entire meal unmolested. DW said they were the recently arrived Invasive Asian Tiger Mosquito. Good eyesight, her. Rather nice looking in that link. Gotta give her (mosquito) credit for flying all the way from Asia. (NB: Not being sexist here. Recall that male mosquitoes only drink nectar from plants; females need protein for their eggs so they bite humans.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - A restaurant is such a nice place to enjoy the company of folks you love. Always enjoy the notion that there will be no cleanup.

Erika (eusebius) – "Limiting beliefs" is such a powerful subject - I wasn't familiar with the phrase. Yes, no doubt we all have limiting beliefs holding us back in multiple arenas. Ouch for the shock of having to get up early enough to get to university on time.

Silverbirch - Such fun that all your overbooked time comes down to some nice time driving around the countryside of Wales with a relaxed DD. Love the notion of "mental drivers" - we have those in spades around here.

maryann – What a terrific potential change of direction in life. I, too, am dumbfounded that moving to the country appeals to you. Hope it all works out.

curlyjax - Congrats for even a partial victory over the Massachusetts RMV - formidable enemy that it is. Gotta love their inability to accept your copy of insurance papers instead requiring your insurance company to send them the info.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 7 Stage 4 - The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Accepting Your Maintenance Weight

Even if you can't sustain a lower weight, you can still change your appearance if you want to. Buy new clothes. Experiment with hairstyles and makeup. Improve your posture. Smile more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 184.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:11 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Productive day at work but I did indulge in a brownie. It's such a challenge not to eat the food at work, ugh. At least I ate my salad as well. And then I ate a lot of junk at home, I don't know what's wrong with me. There will be sweet snacks around for quite awhile until DD gets launched so I better get used to it. I still managed to go to bed a little hungry anyhow.
After a quick nap I did manage to declutter for awhile while listening/watching to youtube videos on decluttering. I like The Minimal Mom who makes good points about inventory; how much inventory do you want to manage. She only has one set of sheets per bed which I find amazing, as she also has 4 kids; I feel the need for an extra set that comes in handy for accidents, illness etc. And I got some paperwork done although I discovered I ran out of stamps.
Today i'll be late at work to listen to a presentation on our county's retirement system etc. I'm nowhere near retirement but I'd like to hear what they say about insurance options etc as our HR dept is incompetent. I slept much better although I had dreams about being chased, it was like being in a movie!
Maryann- that is so exciting! I love it when things fall into place like that. We'll look forward to hearing more when you can share it.
Gardenerjoy- good to know that you're not missing out on restaurant eating.
Silverbirch-what a nice mom for doing all that driving about. Glad it was pretty countryside, that is always so enjoyable.
Bill-yikes on that mosquito that was intent on biting you. I know they're necessary to the higher food chain but i do hate mosquitos.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #71  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Hi folks,

OK, I lost what I gained from the bad eating. Let’s see if it continues. I am just so wiped. Really wanted to get up early but my body just wouldn’t let me. I left the house at 8 yesterday and finished work at 9:30. It all went well but it was a lot.

Today is a little lighter, but Thursday is much like Tuesday was. I’ll just try to stay in the moment.

curlyjax - always good to get those car things done. I relate big time to the struggles with DD. Ouch for work snacks but yay for decluttering!

maryann - oh my goodness, this house sounds like a dream waiting to happen … I hope everything works out perfectly for you!!

silverbirch - very good work you’re doing preparing DD for her test! Yes you are right about the neighbourhood indicator. I did blur out the number on my house in the pic.

gardenerjoy - I agree with you about restaurants in general. Great to have a nice evening out with good company though.

BillBlueEyes - I bet DW was grateful to have you to drive her home. Those mosquitos are kind of cool looking but I’d rather just look at them in a photo…

Waving to all! Happy Wednesday!
Old 09-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #72  

Good morning, Coaches.

I was absolutely unable to focus on school yesterday. The students benefitted because I was extra saucy and teasing, played games, and generally skated through the classes. Here is what I did find out in my research while my student teacher was doing his thing.

The house is NOT 1914 as DH was told. ( He is still having a hard time getting officially records . ) I found the house in the historic registry. It is a 1932 Craftsman Style. I knew it had miss our area's Victorian period so I had thought it had to be American Foursquare. Now it all makes sense. Square footage is probably somewhere around 4,000 square feet. What ??? I never wanted a house that big. In fact, you all know I wanted to end my life in a pied a terre. However, now as we restore, we preserving a piece of history. ( Silverbirch is too polite to laugh at me that 1932 is history.) The registry showed what the gardens looked like in 2006. Hmmmmm. I will need divine intervention or a landscape company to help. Maybe I will hire BBE's wife. Room and board for the two of you for a summer in California. I have the labor, I need the expertise. Joy: you are invited as well." There are currently six bedrooms.

My official proclamation: I will NOT buy new unless absolutely necessary. I want to sustainably furnish this place, realizing that what ever I put in, DS will eventually have to deal with. How about that for a dream scenario -curate only the best pieces and leave behind the rest. Between DH's sixth generation farm family pieces and my family pieces held in trust by Mom and Dad, we should be fine. Less is more and will highlight the beautiful wood work built ins and our Steinway. We will continue to live in my current home until all the electrical, plumbing, painting, construction is finished. OK - that is if it goes through. I couldn't even tell my best friend last night. This is killing me.

I reviewed my retirement numbers last night. DH doesn't know it but this is my last year. Suddenly I am a secret keeper.

Weight is ridiculously stuck. I don't seem to mind much. I am still OP

Wave to Curly and Eusebius.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:22 PM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I visited Dear Niece today -- we had another nice lunch overlooking the Missouri River. She was up for walking today, so we took a nice long walk, too.

The original plan was to take her to the rheumatologist, but it got put off again. That was because they ordered more blood tests based on the original X-rays and labs. On the one hand, it was good that they took the next step without another office visit. On the other hand, the communication has been nonexistent except for "please go take these tests." And now, with another rescheduled appointment, she's spent a long time waiting to find out what the doctor is thinking about her diagnosis.

Anyway, we had a good time and set up some good plans for next steps on her journey to move out of the country before the end of the year.

Exercise: 75, 665/1500 minutes for September
Old 09-14-2023, 07:06 AM   #74  

Good morning, Coaches.

I am up at 3:00 a.m. Too much going on to sleep well, I guess. I have grades, classroom store to buy for and we spent time farm house to see if there are any pieces we might want to buy from the family before they begin the estate sale.

Food was OP but the scale is inching up for no reason I can understand. I am sticking to healthy choices. I got in all my water. I did yoga in my classroom waiting for an after school meeting.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #75  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Hi folks,

Imagine, I raised my calorie goal back to what Pahla B said it should be a couple days ago and now I’m losing again. Why do I think I know better than an experienced personal trainer? Lol. It just can’t be that eating MORE calories makes me lose weight. Yes, yes it does. Ok not questioning it anymore.

This seems to be a theme right now … the “limiting beliefs”. Among the ones the course is exploring are: Money is a limited resource; you have to work hard to make money; etc. etc. It’s quite interesting. Or this one: if you make a lot of money without working hard, you are bad/greedy/unjust. (Hence Shakespeare: “Let’s kill all the lawyers.”) The implication is not that you should game the system or do shady stuff to make money - it’s just that my beliefs about money could be holding me back from making more. And the belief that I need to eat as few calories as possible to lose weight is also a belief that could be holding me back. So much of all this is in our heads!!

Today: another crazy long day but I have tomorrow completely off because I gave it to myself!! Best decision ever!

maryann - I am loving this saga of the beautiful Craftsman house. You have a Steinway?! That’s amazing. I feel so absolutely blessed to have mine. What model/year is yours? Can I come and join the Beck party and play music while everyone is fixing up your gardens? LOL

gardenerjoy - you are really a guiding star in Dear Niece’s life as she navigates all these health issues and life changes. Really lovely to see.

Waving to all! Happy Thursday!
Closed Thread