Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:52 AM   #136  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - US buys Alaska from Russia for roughly 2 cents an acre (1867)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was picking up the (7 yo) DGD from First Grade. She immediately stripped off her coat to play wearing just her t-shirt and tights. That was more comfortable to demonstrate backward flips made by leaning over backward until her hands touched the ground then kicking the legs over. It wasn't deep winter cold weather, but all adults around were wearing jackets or coats. Can't get over how kids feel comfortable without outerwear. Brrrrrr . . .

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a pot of chili made with Bob's Red Mill 13-bean soup mix. Noted that hitting our plant food count with a 13-bean mix walloped the count big time. And add that the 'burger' is tofu based and the chili powder is made from several different peppers. Then noted that the package of cherry tomatoes in our mixed green salad contains four varieties - not just one as I'd counted the other day. And recalled that yesterday's new potatoes were served with parsley and olive oil. Hats off to my DW for conjuring up a healthy menu for us. It does remind me that I live with a privileged kitchen.

My class on the Ancient Near East covered Hammurabi's Code. I'd always thought these were laws. Not exactly - more like a long list of cases of how justice was issued. The abstraction of "Laws" didn't occur until many years later. What the Babylonians had was a strong sense of justice metered out by the gods via the king. Hammurabi's Code is really the king praising himself. There are many copies of the Code, but most attractive to admire is the stele at the Louvre. Note that the stele isn't packed with tourists waving selfi-sticks like its Mona Lisa, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope it all went well. Instructions from doctors like "don't bend over from the waist" seem so out of touch with daily living.

Silverbirch - Using "triggers" in a positive way is unusual - such a useful idea that we can work on our positive triggers instead of just avoiding our negative triggers.

maryann - Super Kudos for avoiding Girl Scout Cookies - despite all the reasons to want to help out the charming little girls offering them.

curlyjax - Making a healthy 'bark' is terrific - I'm stuck with the notion of a bark that's deadly off plan. Love the image of you and your car being very happy together.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Once you've made these important thinking shifts, you are ready for Stage 4: The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 166.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:53 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

OP at work.At home I broke down and got into sweets, and then DD wanted pizza so I had 3 slices, ugh. I need to remind myself to do this for my cardiac health as much as anything else. It is hard to plan around DD's whims etc but that doesn't mean I can't do it. I started the week off strong meal planning wise but don't have plans for tonight or tomorrow, so need to figure out something healthy. Credit for letting myself get hungry each day anyhow.
Big credit for tackling some paperwork for my dad and aunt that i've been putting off. I still have get my tax stuff ready for goodness sake, that will be today's plan.
I decided not to go to another live music event this saturday that I already bought a ticket for, and am selling it to someone else in Meetup that I don't know (but someone else does). It will be challenge to figure out how to get him the ticket without giving out my email or phone number but maybe that's what i'll have to do. It looks like a fun band and I was torn but 1) its another long drive taking up the whole evening 2) its a lot of awkward chitchat in a loud arena which I just did last week 3) I don't want to over do it with my hip.
Gardenerjoy-major challenge indeed to not bend over, but there must be a time limit to how long these restrictions apply?
Silverbirch- I would think that lugging about such heavy items would indeed be beneficial, great weight lifting.
Maryann-great job with the minimal sweets!
Bill-you are lucky to have a DW who stocks your kitchen so healthily indeed! Little kids are furnaces I think, always warmer than us adults.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today is am beginning the process of logging in the food in MFP. It started out with junk food so I can relate Curleyjax. Nonetheless, I remind myself it is progress not perfection. As long as I am logging stuff in, I am pleased. Weight is at ticker.

BBE: Interesting about Hammurabi's code. I have taught it for years as laws so alas, the next generation will be a victim of misinformation.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #139  
Green Tomatoes

DH's procedure went well.

It turns out that the restriction about bending from the waist is old advice from when the incisions were bigger -- they worried about pressure in the eyes bursting stitches. They keep that on the precaution list for the first week, now, because of the risk of falls while the brain adjusts to new ways of seeing.

We were there for over three hours, but it turned out not to be an unbroken boring time of sitting alone. There was a long waiting time together before he got called back for pre-op. Once he was ready, I got to go back and sit with him, for another long wait. I'm pretty sure all of that waiting is about making sure that the doctor and surgical teams get to be at their most efficient. I could complain about other people's time being important, too, but really it's not like anyone schedules important things to do on a surgery day, so we might as well be contributing to the efficiency of the flow.

The surgery was quite quick. I ate a homemade sandwich in the car (CREDIT) and was barely back in the waiting room when they were ready for me to join him in the post-op.

We've already been into the doctor's office for the follow-up this morning. Everything is going well. I may need to run out and get readers for him because this eye was adjusted for distance and he doesn't seem to be able to read or work at a computer at all.

Mostly, though, today gets to be a recovery day for both of us!

Exercise +65, 1630/1700 minutes for March
Old 03-30-2023, 02:37 PM   #140  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday

The gymn was good but I have to give more thought to what I eat when I come out. I think an apple and cheese aren’t cutting it. I did take a flask of coffee with me but it was the flask that jams the lid on when it’s got hot liquid in it, so that didn’t work too well …

The big news is that I’ve started taking apart a wood shelter before it takes itself apart with water ingress and rot. It was put up about 20 years ago by the DD (aged about 3 or 4), next door’s cat and me. It was a great project and a lot of fun for everybody. We used scrap timber (an old bed, some fencing, a bit of trellis, some wardrobe doors) plus a bit of corrugated roofing, and I’m just delighted it’s stayed up so long and done such a good job. Now to get rid of most of it at a tip, bit by bit. The rest we’ll either burn or I’ll use as tiny scraps in my hot bin. Friends, I’m still so thrilled about it!

maryann, credit for refusing all that junk food and for planning skiing with your Colorado friend. Whether it’s the medicine or not, credit! Being incredibly busy is definitely challenging. Ooh, a long weekend sounds good. And I love it when you remind us that it’s progress not perfection.

Bill, thank you for your comments about my use of “athlete’s body” and (positive) triggers. You’ve triggered (!) some good reflections about how my thinking’s developed over the years as a result of different types of work and other things. I can do a good job application now, probably, if I ever needed to! Credit for eating all those plants! Much credit to your DW.

curlyjax, cardiac health sounds good to me! Big credit, indeed, for the paperwork associated with your dad and aunt. It’s so wearing, I know.

gardenerjoy, very glad that everything is going well. A recovery day sounds just right. Definitely take credit for making and eating that homemade sandwich.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:02 AM   #141  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - National Crayon Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A terrifically successful day! I'd freed up the day so that I could walk into the local computer store as the first customer. With my laptop in hand adamantly refusing to connect to the Internet. "If it's a hardware problem, we'll fix it under warranty. If it's a software problem, unfortunately, no one warrants that and you'll have to pay," the tech so graciously introduced me to reality. I was braced. I'd tried everything. It took the tech a full two minutes to find the secret software bit that told the software running on my computer that I didn't want it to see the Internet. Set the bit. "You're good to go - no charge." Was the happiest clam alive. Reminded myself why I like to buy locally. Considered walking around the store busting with interesting stuff to see if I could buy something that I didn't need. Dodged that bullet by walking briskly to the door. Noted that a Trader Joe's was next door where I could pick up a reward for my success - a reward covered in dark chocolate to be sure. Hopped into my car and drove home to avoid another bullet. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what bit the tech set in case this comes up again. But for now, I type happily on my own computer in my own office without having to negotiate time with DW.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, including no "reward" snacks because my computer got fixed. And, obviously, no double reward snacks since it was fixed for FREE. A minor triumph was to throw away two items that had been sitting prominently on my dresser because they had no place to be put: a beautiful post card of Katmandu, and a pin declaring that I'm a member of a museum given on my last visit to allow me into somewhere where the unwashed weren't. They have no place to go because they've served their purpose and I don't have a box marked "Items never to be used again." By volume, it's a super tiny step, but I saw them both each day and wished they weren't there. As if by not throwing them away, I could save the waste of resources spent on making them.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for a successful procedure. Neat that you were able to spend some of the waiting time with your DH. Reminds me of the pain told by folks at the beginning of the pandemic who had to drop off loved ones and then have no contact. Yes, you both need a recovery day.

Silverbirch - Twenty years life for a wood shelter constructed by bits and pieces is a victory. Glad that you're removing it before you show your home to prospective buyers who might not feel so warmly about its history.

maryann - Thanks for "it is progress not perfection" - which I can use.

curlyjax - Congrats for getting some more paperwork done. Smart move to realize that you didn't want the negatives of the music event. Hope the logistics of selling your ticket works out.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 7 Stage 4 - The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Once you have learned to follow your plan in any situation, you are probably ready to learn how to be more flexible with your eating - if the following statements are true: . . .
  • You are committed to keep practicing all of your Success Skills and to solve any problems that arise in implementing them every day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 167.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-01-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:36 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

OP at work yesterday, and I got some exercise in too. At home I got into the chocolate chips which I melted and put a little peanut butter in, boy is that good. I did vacuum a bit so more exercise there and then went over to BFF to watch tv and hang out. One of her dogs hurt itself playing outside earlier in the day. We carried her out for a potty break in the dark as she was having trouble walking and didn't want to go out. Poor doggie just stood there shivering; there was an awful screaming noise going on from a fox or fisher cat, and that would have inhibited me too! BFF will take her to the vet today probably. Never a dull moment with pets I guess.
I've been dreaming about unfinished schoolwork-maybe its the taxes I need to do, I can't think of anything else overdue. This weekend I need to sort out and clean my room- I have a friend coming to visit at the end of the month, so that is my incentive.
Bill-hooray for getting a computer issue fixed so easily and for free too. I did get my ticket sold and transferred.
Silverbirch-great job taking apart the shelter. I'm a little confused- how did the next door cat help put it up? Did he/she supervise
Gardenerjoy- glad the procedure went well and you can both recuperate at home.
Maryann-yay for the process of logging in food.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:05 PM   #143  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Friday

A quiet day as very unusually my knees have been complaining quite a bit all day. This may be because we increased the load on them yesterday at the gymn. The R is usually OK but it’s the worst of the two today, possibly because it was protecting the nigglier L yesterday. Food not terrific but good enough.

Bill, many credits to you for yesterday. Swift work at the computer store, not bringing in unneeded items, avoiding Trader Joe’s and throwing away unwanted items. Maestro! An enjoyable thing about decluttering is that good feeling you got when acting on the wish that those small items weren’t there. Sometimes people build on that and feel pretty accomplished as they walk around the house. (I agree prospective buyers might not appreciate our late wood shelter. Their loss, obviously.)

curlyjax, fisher cat is a new animal to me. Thanks! And the cat next door was close friends with the DD for years and always involved in everything. We miss her. Dreams about unfinished schoolwork must be trying to tell you something, so perhaps tax paperwork is in your future. Credit for planning to clean your room.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:36 PM   #144  
Green Tomatoes

In all the surgery excitement, I forgot to mention the results of my plant foraging at the grocery store. Today's salad had three kinds of lettuce (two more than usual) and two different colors of bell pepper, as well as my usual walnuts and freeze-dried (no sugar added) cranberries. So, I doubled my number of plants from three to six. CREDIT.

I'm recognizing that I didn't do that before out of habit, laziness, and any motivating reason. A little new knowledge and a game-like structure to implement it made a big difference.

Exercise +55, 1685/1700 minutes for March

curlyjax: I'm very familiar with the melted chocolate chip and peanut butter combo. I used to call it "heaven in a spoon." I eventually decided that I wasn't going to live without that flavor combination in my life, but I wanted a healthier way to include it. I melt 12 chocolate chips over 2/3 cup of cereal (one minute in the microwave, stirred every 15 seconds) and add a dollop of what I call PB spread.
I don't really measure, but PB spread is roughly 2T peanut butter, 1c cottage cheese, and 2T Greek yogurt mixed together in a small food processor. That blend lasts a few days.
It's not heaven in a spoon, but it's fewer calories, more nutrition, and less triggering of overeating. I use a healthy cereal (I think the brand name is Honey Bunches of Oats, but I usually get an organic version -- probably for health halo reasons) with whole grains so it counts as some of my plants. That's one of my two usual afternoon snacks -- the other is a salad.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Excellent day skiing. It is at the Swanky and expensive Palisades. I get 25% discount with my friend's pass and it will still be $200 bucks. Totally worth it. I have skied all season both cross country and alpine for about $400 as I have been working season pass magic. Friend is buying groceries and taking me to dinner tonight. Great weekend. I do not seem to be jumping into junk food like I do after skiing today. My mind is not playing the "ski for four hours and thousands of calories burned game." Yeah! The worse i had was hot chocolate and to tell the truth that kept me to 1:30 skiing when we broke. A win!

Curleyjax: The best way to clean up and organize your house is to invite a house guest. Works every time. I gave the cabin bathroom and bedroom a thorough cleaning. DH uses that bathroom. Why don't I do that for him?
Silverbirch: Excellent tribute to DD and You reusing the wood to rewarm yourself.
BBE: Glasses are very important to me and I go to a local guy which is expensive but stands behind each product 100%
Joy: Glad DH and you made it through the surgery.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #146  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the April 2023 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2023 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Closed Thread