Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/177/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Stalled in my effort to downhill. The crowds are incredible. Luckily, cross country skiing is right over the hill and I get three free rides with my downhill season pass. Usually I buy a season pass for x-country and get s a few downhill passes. This time I reverse. Oh well, no mind in two years I will go with both an Icon pass that allows me to go just about anywhere and a x- country because I will be able to go during the weekdays.

For today, exercise will be x-country. Food will be Greger focused.

The big news is after conferring with my retired "cruising professional" friend, we could not get a Panama Canal to fit our dates. The only idea that fit with decent rooms still available was a Viking Rhine Cruise "Christmas Market" on the Rhine. It starts in Switzerland and ends in Amsterdam on Christmas Eve. On the phone for three hours. All booked. 190 people which is great because I was not fond of 2,000 on my honeymoon cruise to Alaska. Super excited. DS will be 21 which is not only great he can go to beerfests with his Dad but he can go into live music venues with us which he will love. AS DH who doesn't really like to travel says," It is pretty cool to be going to a place on Christmas that have been the model for Xmas ornaments."

Joy: I really liked 3,000 Years. My favorite part was the emphasis of " all wishing stories are a cautionary tale."
BBE: I am trying to focus on flexibility rather than strength. I get both with yoga. The flaw of course it doesn't work unless I actually do it.
Curly: A clean surface is a joy to behold.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:30 PM   #107  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good evening! I'm feeling more motivated today. Food has been good, and I took the dogs for a walk. I'm going to get more water in this evening.

Have a good night, everyone!
Old 01-23-2023, 05:57 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - British intelligence officer Kim Philby defects to USSR (1962)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Explosion was a visit by the (2.5 yo) DFGD, DS, and DIL. They were exhausted; they'd been to different venues seeking a place to hold a 3rd birthday party. They discovered a nice-enough place that would cost $900! They were aghast. Had in mind being charged a hundred bucks or so since they don't have a room in their house that's sufficiently child-proof for a handful of three-year-olds running about. March is a little too early in the year to count on having it outdoors in a public park. After they left, we celebrated the invention of washable magic markers as we cleaned not only the small table set out for her craft work, but the kitchen floor that became part of her easel before someone could intervene. Also got to watch her demand a dark-chocolate covered almond; carefully nibble then lick off all the chocolate; then hand it back to a parent. We chided the parents for being so wimpy that they threw away the rejected almond instead of eating it, LOL.

Eating was on plan for meals, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a terrific one-bowl meal made from chicken thighs and many, many veggies - all over udon noodles. The recipe came from Nutrition Action Newsletter; the udon noodles from a Japanese grocery store in the next town. Felt like first-class dining. Spent part of my day reading The Spare by Prince Harry. Our visitors were more interested in discussing Life of Pi and which version of the story they had believed when they watched the movie years ago. A trip to Trader Joe's got me caught up on coffee and tree nuts. Alas, also on biscotti and chocolate covered almonds "for guests." Apparently, my right hand thinks it's a guest, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat tidbit about Berwick-upon-Tweed which I now assume is on your Bucket List. Thanks for the reminder that I can do exercise to improve my upping and downing.

maryann - Your Viking Rhine Cruise sounds fun. My BIL is super fond of Viking Cruises. Tried to sell DW on the idea of cruising through the Panama Canal. No dice. She has a friend who was married to a sea captain in her youth. She declared passage through the Panama Canal to be "boring."

curlyjax - One surface done at a time sounds like a good plan.

Penny. - Yay for motivation. You remind me how much I miss taking our dog for a walk. When younger, we'd walk and she'd run - the whole time. She'd cover at least twice the distance we covered.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Create a Travel Mindset

While you may not have control over foods, you should plan to follow the Think Thin Eating Plan as best you can, eating the usual number of calories for each snack and meal. If you wish, you can supplement this plan with extra Travel Calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 158.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:37 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went for a nice long walk with a friend and her dog, and then we went for a cup of coffee afterwards. I had raspberry tea which may have helped my cramps a bit. I zipped to the grocery store and came home to make a turkey-vegetable-pasta casserole, where I throw anything I can think of in. Its comfort food and since I live alone, I can eat the melted cheese off the top and then replace it with more I will eat it all week happily for dinner. I fell into a crying spell, missing DH who died 5 years ago, and feeling scared/sorry for myself because of this cramping which just keeps going on and on. Plus the grey winter, coming back to a house alone etc. I can't have any animals as I'm allergic and right now I have no desire to take care of anything else anyhow.
I went to bed early and slept well and feel better mentally today anyhow. Onwards!
Gardenerjoy-I don't know if i've seen that movie, it sounds interesting. yoga definitely helps keep one supple.
Maryann-I took a peek at the Viking Cruise, it looks so pretty! how fun to plan ahead for next Christmas.
Bill-our church used to rent out the function hall for pretty cheap,maybe they could look into that type of venue. I'm with the 2.5 year old, the chocolate is the best part!
Penny-glad you're feeling better and motivated today.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:44 AM   #110  
Green Tomatoes

With a weekend of down-time, I'm raring to go on my novel-work. This week shouldn't have too many distractions, which I think was a source of stress the last couple of weeks. I told myself I was going to get a good start on my novel but kept doing other things that people expected of me.

The big distraction this week may be a couple of snow days. I moved my shopping plan to earlier in the week and all other errands to next week. We may get 3-5 inches on Tuesday night through Wednesday morning, but the temperatures are going to be in the 30s while it's falling. If it sticks, it's going to be because it's wet and sloppy, not because it's cold. I talked DH into thinking that plowing, if needed, will be fun so that he doesn't spend the next two days fretting about it.

Snow days can be writing days for me, so I'm looking forward to that.

Exercise +60, 1280/1700 minutes for January
Old 01-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #111  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Weight was a pound down from ticker. Huzzah!!!! The only thing left on my t Target 100 list today is 20 mins of yoga.

I am using up food. The cost of the cruise is due February. Wow. Paying for the cruise and Italy in the same month means I am being very conservative for this next 30 days. I have used up little bits of healthy food for my Greger bowl. ( Special K, Matcha Powder, Fage and Pomegranate vinegar." I am keeping an open mind.

I also used a gift card to do a "quality sock" run. Have you ever turned around to realize that is a seeming blink of an eye all the "good" socks are gone with the socks you never wear staring you in the face? Being a good de-clutterer, I am tossing all those socks. ( I don't donate my old socks for hygiene sake.) I don't want to wear the bad ones in Europe because sock choice is huge in high walking situations. I bought Bjorn merino wool, regular, and then some sturdy polyester for my boots which have very little room to spare. Marshall's had a good price. Bought on super sale, my new boots will be worn with these new socks to see if they will work for my plantars fasciitis. I have a pair of loafers already worn in. A friend gave me a beautiful red and black merino wool shawl. I am set for the trip.

Wave to all.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:09 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Apple Computer unveils its revolutionary Macintosh personal computer (1984)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was shoveling a couple of inches of snow. Easy shoveling. I was tempted to wait until this morning but the sidewalk traffic in front of our house would compress it into ice. Yay for not procrastinating. Non-exercise was digging a few more pages into Prince Harry's Spare. Awakens my dream of being a prince for the magic, for example, of wanting to work for a period of a Gap Year in Australia and, voila, it's arranged. Then a period in South Africa and, voila, it's arranged. None of this once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing for a prince.

Dinner was an Indian chick pea dish that was part of our Christmas present from the DS and DIL. They're terrific cooks. We love getting a ready-to-eat meal that sits in our freezer until the day that the cook (DW) has no time to prep dinner. Evening was spent at a fun meeting of friends on Zoom. Was especially fun knowing that the snow was just enough to have canceled an in-person meeting.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It is fun to think of writing while looking out the window at the falling snow. Unless one remembers who has to shovel the snow, LOL.

maryann - Super smart to realize that proper socks are essential. It took me years to get rid of stacks of socks that I didn't realize were contributing to sweaty feet. It's magic that merino wool can be both warming and cooling.

curlyjax - LMAO at "I can eat the melted cheese off the top and then replace it with more." Now that's the good life. That turkey-vegetable-pasta casserole does sound like comfort food.

Readers -
Quote:

Create a Travel Mindset

What you must avoid at all costs is having no plan or having a plan but spontaneously deviating from it when tempted.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #113  

I did well at work yesterday and stayed on plan. One of my colleagues gave notice which is a real bummer since she's a good buddy and we have fun together, but she needs to earn more money which I understand. She's also really good at her admin job, and knew the gossip which was helpful, working for a town. I'm sure we'll keep in touch but its different from seeing someone each day. The ride home was scary since it had started snowing and was slippery, but I took my time and all was well. Exercise was a bit of shoveling. And then I had the January blues and did nothing for hours, other than a bit of phone reassurance for DD. Ugh. I have got to get out of this rut. I know I don't feel like this in the spring, its just the winter and some loneliness.
Wave to all.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday afternoon, the weather service said we were getting 5-10 inches of snow, but the 3am update revised it to a more reasonable 4-7 inches. The temperatures are still going to stay quite warm, so even if we have to be out in it, it won't be unpleasant. We're expecting rain this evening, followed by snow from about midnight until mid-morning, tomorrow.

I did an early trip to the grocery store. The crowds weren't bad yet, but some things were already starting to feel picked over. I managed with a few minor compromises and substitutions. With a little luck, I won't go again for a week.

My writing time went as planned, yesterday. Today is off-kilter because I prefer to do my writing earlier in the day, but I'll make it work.

Exercise +60, 1340/1700 minutes for January
Old 01-25-2023, 06:33 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - 1st Winter Olympic Games open (1924, Chamonix, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Trip to the supermarket was boring; that makes it is a success. The guy in the cart ahead of me at checkout had three items identical to mine: same dried figs; same lettuce mix; same soy milk. Surprised; as well as surprised that I had noted. Started to say something like, "I'm not imitating you." But Prince Harry has upped my paranoia. What if he thought I was following him? Detecting a touch of paranoia in myself there. Apparently, paranoia's the obsession while being a Royal - who's leaking to the paparazzi? Who's passing on details of private conversations?

I've completed the first section of Prince Harry's Spare - to the place where I told myself that I'd stop since I won't complete all 600+ pages in my allocated two weeks. I've also read the Epilogue and the Acknowledgements. It's in my way of getting to some books that I really want to read. It'll be a personal achievement for me to plan to not finish a book instead of my standard way of leaving it in a stack to be completed later. I'll commit to that right here: I will take one book from my to-be-completed stack; do what I need to feel done (e.g. read the wiki summary); and bring it to a street library. Just one. If I do one, who knows, maybe I can later do a second. Oddly, that reminds me of Alice's Restaurant, "And friends they may thinks it's a movement."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for continuing to keep your writing plans a priority. That mix of snow then rain then freeze is what kills us when it happens here.

curlyjax - Such a pain to lose a buddy at work who was a connection. Good luck chasing away the January Blues.

Readers -
Quote:

Create a Travel Mindset

Traveling gives you continual opportunities to strengthen either your resistance muscle or your giving-in muscle; that's why continuing to plan you food intake in advance is so important.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:38 AM   #116  

I told myself to "eat a frog" yesterday and finally went for my annual car inspection. I now have a big red R on my windshield- the tires didn't pass and need to be replaced. I made an appt with my mechanics and will get it done friday, and then I go back to the original place that did it so they can change it to satisfactory. Ugh, that's a lot of money. I picked up last years taxes finally-long story- and paid for those, and DD called to say her Mac screen was broken and would be a lot to fix. So I was a bit unsettled at all the money that's flowing out of my house, and worrying about money in general. Food wasn't great. Onwards again.
Gardenerjoy-wow, that's a lot of snow! yay for planning around shortages.
Bill-that was the best song! Great practice to plan your reading.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

We got a pretty snow, covering all the tree branches. But it melted on surfaces almost as fast as it came down. We have, maybe, two inches on our deck rails and maybe an inch on the surface of the deck. The driveway has even less than that. The weather channel says we got six inches, but most of that is water, now. They say that it's going to keep snowing until noon, but the temperature is still rising. It doesn't look like we'll be plowing or shoveling today. We also probably won't walk, so I'll want to plan some indoor exercise.

Exercise +60, 1400/1700 minutes for January
Old 01-25-2023, 07:06 PM   #118  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

It is nice to know there are absolutes in this world. I will absolutely NEVER use Fedex again. I don't even want to go into a ridiculous story but at the end of calls, visits, calls again, visits again, I broke down and went "postal." Appropriate. Bad behavior which landed mostly on DH. I have apologized. I am remorseful. To answer the question "How important is it?" Not important enough for me to feel this terrible about my behavior. Moving on.

I have eaten all the necessary calories. No more are required. I close the kitchen.

Exercise was a scavenger hunt with two classes around the campus to find latitude and longitude of different sites. Sigh.

Curly: How about we give each other a break today and declare ourselves human. The sun will come up tomorrow.
BBE: Agreed. Not all books are read from end to end. That is just fine.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:23 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Ground is broken and construction begins on the Eiffel Tower (1887, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My day was scheduled around problems with snow. Problems that didn't happen because the snow didn't happen. Didn't drive to pick up the (7 yo) DGD from 1st grade because DD was concerned about me driving in the snow - since she'd had a rough drive the day before. At dinner time, I ran two trips to pick up friends of DW to take them to their small dinner party they were having so that none of them had to drive in the predicted-to-be-terrible snow. The afternoon and evening only saw some rain - and not much of that. The women were all carrying contributions to their potluck so they were grateful for the ride, both there and later, back.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Snacks were as planned, but unnecessary. Dinner was a plate from a local Lebanese restaurant with falafel, humus, Tabouli, salads, and whatnot. A fun meal from a place the DW doesn't like so it's my goto joint when she's not around. Exercise was thinking about shoveling snow, LOL. While waiting to shovel, I ordered a 782-page, 2 volume set of books on the Ancient Near East to go with the 640 page book assigned for the class. Before starting a class, I have unbounded optimism about how much I will be able/willing to read. But I reveled in getting a $170 pair of books bought used, from separate dealers, for $19.33 total. It has a dozen good maps that will be worth the price to me even if I don't read all the text.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Snow with rising temperature does mean easy shoveling - it shoveling is required at all. Neat to plan indoor exercise.

maryann - Ouch for a bad FedEx experience. Do hope there's a path to recovery. Love that you can introduce Latitude and Longitude to the kids right there on your campus.

curlyjax - LOL at "eat a frog" to get your car inspected. Ouch for the unwanted expense of needing new tires. Tough news that the expenses show up all at once.

Readers -
Quote:

Create a Travel Mindset

You will need some strong responses to counteract sabotaging thoughts. Think back to trips in the past. Can you remember losing control of you eating and then feeling guilty and frustrated with yourself - if not while you were away, then when you cam back and got on the scale?

Old 01-26-2023, 08:19 AM   #120  

I was able to get my butt in gear enough to finally wash the piled up dishes, and work on some tasks like creating a medical portal for my dad. The website keeps insisting I have the incorrect personal info which is annoying, and when I had called IT awhile ago they had told me to call the doc office directly, so I feel like i'm going in circles. I did have great medical service last night though- an office called me close to 7:00 pm to arrange a GI consult. It was so nice of them to initiate the consult, and I thanked the woman for doing so. We had a nice moment I'm stlll feeling bloated and crampy on and off during the day, ugh. Today will be a fun day at work as I get to go on an outing with some elders and have lunch.
Maryann- good reminder that we are human indeed. I would have gone postal too!
Bill-I planned my day around the snow that didn't come either but i'm glad it didn't. Ooh, I love Lebanese food.
Gardenerjoy-yay for snow that doesn't need to be shoveled!
Closed Thread