Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 02:22 PM   #46  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I had a couple extra snacks yesterday. Oh well. This morning I got out for a hike for a couple of hours. I just took Otis to the groomers and of course he was none too happy about that. Will try to get a little housework done today, but I'm not really feeling it. Tomorrow I have a morning hike with a friend who just arrived from MN (they have a condo here), and then clean up and head to the other side of the valley to meet a friend for lunch. She's here from WA and they've rented a house for a few months. She was widowed a year and a half ago and really found a great guy. It will be a fun day.

VertOlive That sounds like a long day with being at your workplace several hours early. Hopefully you have things to entertain yourself.

GardenerJoy I hand it to you for having the patience with dn. I'm afraid I wouldn't be too good at that.

Curlyjax Good luck getting the paperwork taken care of for your Dad. Sounds like a frustrating job.

Bill The llamacorn looks so cute. What a fun game. Yes, the packing is kind of funny. At least I have laundry there so I'm not going to worry about taking too much clothing.

Waving to Maryann and Penny!
Old 01-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Targets remain strong. I counted weekly met targets and put them on the desk calendar. I feeling strongly that moving away from carb counting was the right choice. I met all the others. I replaced carb counting with Greger boxes and I just feel so much more satisfied. Today motion will be extra steps to hit 7500. A double frugal/ food goal of less eat outs in January, I replaced a run to frozen yoghurt with a rice pudding from Grocery outlet, left over whipped cream for the holidays, and a topping mix I made out of food processed dried gojiberries, walnuts and dark choc about to bloom. Very tasty. I used a ramkin to keep the size down.

Mom came up to stay yesterday since her power was out. I am grateful she is still driving herself and lives near but it does add some pressure to a chill weekend since DH has some feelings about her that are not too well hidden. Sigh.

I did watch The Glass Onion: Knives out part 2 Awesome

Vert Olive: The Target 100 Water is probably the most important goal I have. Second is the motion goal. You picked a good one.
Curly: It was transformative for me to pick a set of tupperware that was uniform size and fitted lids. All singletons went in the gift cabinets for when I bake a gift or take to a potluck. Then I don't need it back. It is amazing how much space and cleaning time it saves me. So easy to stack similar sizes in the dishwasher, so much more room in the freezer when they fit together, on and on. (says an organization freak ALWAYS!!!)
Joy: I admire you self impose schedules. When given my druthers I putter from job to job at will.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I got my dad's paperwork faxed, and arranged for a haircut visit last night and for a podiatrist visit this weds. Work has been pretty slow and I've started to go thru some files; there's resources there from years ago that can be shifted. I did go for a walk yesterday, and didn't eat sugar at work, but then ended up having a big fight with DD and emotionally ate all sorts of junk over that. I went to manfriend's house to vent and see his wonderful cat. Fortunately I have an appt with my therapist after work, but sometimes I just can't see my way forward in our relationship. Thankfully I have a non stressful job; it doesn't pay much but it allows me to deal with family stuff and not be overwhelmed that way.
Ugh. A new day, moving on.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:24 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, uttering "alea iacta est" (49 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the dentist office for a long visit that would include making an impression for the brand-new crown over the post drilled into my jaw. Alas, the visit was only to take an X-ray to show that all was well in the drilled. Two minutes and done. Chatted with the tooth-pulling dentist about the careers of his three kids. One was recognized by his company because he kept them out of Bitcoin before it crashed; saved them a billion. Proud papa. But the appointment that I expected is six weeks into the future. Nice social occasion, I guess, but all I wanted was to get done with sitting in a chair like a captive.

I suppose that that's my excuse for being late for my evening Zoom meeting. The hostess had to call me with "Aren't you joining us?" I had the time wrong in my head. Yes, you wrote the time correctly in your invitation. Yes, it's the same time that it is every meeting this year. But my head can better remember the starting time of a year ago than the starting time of last month. I joined late; all was well. (Just checked; I'd even written down the WRONG time in my appointment calendar, so I can't say that I'll just start writing things down.)

Latin: "alea iacta est"
English: "the die is cast" (for those of you not studying Latin)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck helping your DN see her options realistically. It's hard to sound gentle when the listener only hears their dreams being attacked.

maryann - Neat trick: "I used a ramkin to keep the size down." I recognize your "When given my druthers I putter from job to job at will."

Karen (karenrn) - Do hope that poor Otis also got some extra snacks for the indignity of being dragged to the groomers.

curlyjax - It's a pain that providing medical care these days first requires beating the system's barriers to logging in. BTDT. Good luck handling all the financial stuff.

VertOlive - Kudos for keeping your head above water with so much time stress. Ouch for your new harp popping its strings. Illegitimum non carborundum. (Good grief, that mock-latin goes back to British Intelligence in the war.) I was so confused trying to understand the concept of a lever harp that I viewed the YouTube videos on how to replace a broken lever in order to figure it all out. It only made sense to me when they showed that the placement of the lever itself had to be "tuned." Then I got it. Happily accepting that it not only required the EXACT lever and the EXACT string, but a true ear to hear both notes. Good, now I know that that can't be my next career.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Create a Holiday Mindset

If you always want to be thinner, healthier, in-control person, it's essential for you to learn these skills now. Then you will be able to use them at every future holiday.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 156.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:48 AM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

The visit with DN went well. One tactic that helped was to set out some alternative dreams so that she could make choices among them. Mexico is a cheaper place to be an ex-pat than the UK. St. Louis is an easier place for a Missourian to be an adult than any foreign country.

I got more done than expected on the activities that I would like to form my typical day, right now.

It turns out that today might be more of a challenge to my typical day activities.

My organization is holding an event on Saturday that normally draws more than 20 people. We currently have 9 people registered so today will be about sending individual invitations and asking people to promote the event among their groups. It's easy and fun communication work, but it takes an inordinate of time.

Here's my reminder that excess food makes writing emails slower, not quicker.

Exercise +100, 525/1700 minutes for December
Old 01-10-2023, 04:42 PM   #51  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food has been on plan. I had a pleasant 2 hour hike with my MN friend this morning and then hurried home to get cleaned up and ready to drive across the valley to meet my friend for lunch. We have known each other for almost 38 years when we worked together in the stock brokerage business. She was with me when I met dh (at a bar in the afternoon). She is doing well and will be down here until late April. I'll be happy to see her again when I get back. I ordered the Kale & Romaine Caesar that I ordered another time. The last time I asked them to hold the Parmesan and they held everything except the Romaine lettuce. This time I kept my mouth shut and had Romaine, roasted Brussels sprouts, pistachios, raising, baby tomatoes and Parmesan along with some croutons. It was not lightly dressed, but I don't thing it was too high in calories anyway.

GardenerJoy It sounds like you offered some good alternatives for your dn to consider.

Bill That's cool that the dentist's son could save his company so much money by keeping them out of cryptocurrency. My dh wanted to buy a small amount some time ago, but didn't. It wouldn't have been much of a loss, but we don't know enough about it to be investing that way. I would say there are many others that should have been in that same boat.

Curlyjax I'm so glad your job stress is usually low. You have enough on your plate. Ds and I have had plenty of tough times in our relationship. I can't even say that it is perfect always now, but it helps that he is as old as he is.

Maryann I hope you had some better sleep. I did the wake up too early thing and think maybe a little rest is in order.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #52  

Quick Wave!

Late staff meeting again centered on suicidal prevention> DH reminded me that because they are talking about it doesn't not mean I am not doing a good job. They re NOT talking to me.

Food was on target although I ate an extra pudding just now from stress because I have to go to my AAnmeeting. For me I have only so much social currency to spend - just how I am built. I need long periods of being alone. I am not getting this with the start back in school. Sigh!!!

Still credit for one step in front of each other. Water target and getting in extra steps playing chess. Weight is below 180. Yeah!
Old 01-11-2023, 06:44 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Snowfall 1st recorded in Los Angeles (1949)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Out to a real life Beethoven String Quartet (#13 Op.130) performance last evening. In a small, comfortable, acoustically designed, library's performance room. Just the four string instrument players sitting there on stage in our face and a receptive audience, including some kids. Well mannered kids listening to the music! All for FREE! I'm not sure who paid for this as an outreach to the community. Performed by the Parker Quartet who have performed around the world. Felt like a noble at a private concert in the king's castle. Oddly, it has six movements; seems that Beethoven started pushing the form boundaries even more as he aged. AND, as a cherry on top, two intelligent questions from the audience brought out discussion about Beethoven from the players. They used the word "mean" - Beethoven used to stop a performance and ridicule his audience even in a wealthy salon. Might not have been the person you wanted to invite to dinner.

The evening included burritos from our favorite: Anna's Taqueria. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, by the standard that we'd planned to do this. I saved a few zillion calories by not eating the flour tortilla - just the ingredients from within. And by ordering the smallest of the three sizes. It feels real when the person in front of me orders and chats with the chef behind the counter in Spanish, who then switched to flawless English for us. Do regret that I'm monolingual

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for figuring out to offer your DN alternatives to the impossible. Just love the sentence, "St. Louis is an easier place for a Missourian to be an adult than any foreign country."

maryann - So encouraging that your school is trying to figure out how to stem suicide among teens. Congrats for being in the desired decade of scale readings.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for figuring out how to game your restaurant to get what you wanted. Friends for 38 years are just the best.

curlyjax - Congrats for breaking the logjam on your dad's paperwork. Sending supportive thoughts as you and your DD work through your stuff.

Readers -
Quote:

Create a Holiday Mindset
Create this response card to read each morning around a holiday:
Quote:
HOLIDAY RESPONSE CARD

My body doesn't know it is the holidays. Holiday time
is not a reason to eat unplanned food. When the holi-
day is over, I'm going to be so glad that I stuck to my
plan. It's worth it to forgo the momentary pleasure of
eating foods I haven't planned to eat so I can stay in
control, be happier with myself, and lose weight.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:28 AM   #54  

I had a very good session with my therapist. She pointed out some things that DD is doing which was obvious once she said it. It really does help to have a trained perspective. Went home and made spaghetti, and watched a few episodes of Call the Midwife; I felt I needed an evening of relaxing. Had a discussion with DD and held it together. Ate too much sugar again, baby steps. I need to hustle to work so personals tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:35 AM   #55  
Green Tomatoes

I discovered a few nights ago that I could improve my upper back pain at night by folding up my pillow in a way that better supported my neck. A couple of nights ago, I used that information to design myself a neck bolster from a towel. That has definitely decreased the amount of pain I experience at night and is beginning to reduce the amount I feel during the day. Yay!

I want to remember that technique. Careful pillow arrangement was a partial solution to lower back pain a few months ago. Sleeping position is not my usual go-to when I'm trying to work through pain.

I'm behind on my self-imposed deadlines and unlikely to catch up today, but very likely to catch up sometime next week, so no need to panic or over-eat.

Exercise +50, 575/1700 minutes for December
Old 01-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #56  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in to say food has been on plan. Today's exercise is pre-trip housework. I need to get the floors, dusting and bathrooms done and then I probably won't worry about them again before I leave. I had an excellent night's sleep, so feel pretty energetic for my chores.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #57  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

School as always is a living breathing Chess game - new pieces introduced which change from combatant to defender, attacks for no reasons, support where you least expect it. I played with compassion and full focus. Never sure if it is good enough. My golden rule is never fail to be kind even when I am setting boundaries. My goal today was to get students to look each other in the eye and interact. We played Wink and I succeed in getting giggles and breaking down barriers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wink_murder . I continue to invest in social emotional behavior which is my instinct right now.

I need more breaks in the afternoon. I again won't have a clear afternoon because II have a troublesome tooth. Then a dinner with a dear couple. I am having minestrone soup and giant prawn appetizer. This is probably the lowest calorie option. Credit water and Greger. Motion and exercise will have to start tomorrow.

BBE: I would have love the string performance. Live music is so special. It is a price for me to live in a backwater. Still there are benefits. Number 1 for today No traffic.
Joy: My neck is much better frm an exercise I learned on Yoga with Adrienne.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:54 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday- Basiliscus crowned Byzantine Emperor (475, Hebdomon palace, Constantinople)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Picked up the (7 yo) DGD after school. Despite a temperature of 33 degrees F, she and two buddies ran about the climbing structure throwing chunks of ice - without gloves. All started out without their coats, until the DGD finally put hers back on. DW and I were shivering as we watched. Back at her house, she lined up six of her dolls on her parents' bed and taught them the alphabet, how to read, and some math. All were pretty slow learners except for her favorite doll, 'Baby', who caught on to everything right away. Was surprised to learn that my DD and her friends at her office are also obsessed with a local missing woman story. As always, the husband is suspect. The dumping station where officials are searching through collected trash is near where they work. Can't help but be gripped with an event happening in your vicinity.

Learned a new word, 'sprinkle.' New in the context of a Sprinkle being held for the upcoming birth of a second child. I was confused; made no sense to me. DD enlightened me: a 'Baby Sprinkle' is a 'Baby Shower' for a second kid; they don't need a stroller or a crib, just diapers and all the other disposables. Got it. We received the invite because we've drifted into that category of older family members who have a history of being generous on occasions. A long distance invite to a Sprinkle is sorta odd, but it's from a family member we really like and are happy to keep up with even by gift giving. One of the items on the child-to-be's gift registry is a poster of antique cars - the very thing his old man wished that he had had as an infant. We're a bit confused because we're so old that we've known of miscarriages - events lived through better without stacks of gifts and expectant friends. We're also so old we are quite happy with learning a child's sex after it has come out and peed on the midwife. We've been told that this kid is a boy and know his names. Will just send a gift and try to keep up with the times.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always neat to hear of approaches to pain that don't include pills. (My fingers ached to add an apostrophe above per, "put her's back on." I used this site as my guide not to do so. Is that correct?)

maryann - So interesting to me that you first work on "social emotional behavior" to get you kids into a working group and then go into academic content. Good luck with that troublesome tooth.

Karen (karenrn) - Good news that you've got you upcoming trip so under control that you're sleeping well.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for "and held it together." Such a gift to your DD. Yay for a good therapist.

Readers -
Quote:

holiday skills
Just as social events are an extension of eating out, holidays are an extension of social events. Here's what to do:

Generate a general holiday plan. You many attend many events during some holidays. Rather than create a specific plan for each event, you can have on general plan for all of them.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-12-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: HTML error
Old 01-12-2023, 07:36 AM   #59  

work is pretty slow these days. I called someone I know who is going thru a rough time to check in, and that was very satisfying. I brought in some extra caramels that I had bought the other day, and got into them myself which ruined my no sweets at work streak, but i'll start it again today. I stopped for a walk on the way home in the brisk air which felt good, although I was aware there weren't many people around in the park which made me feel nervous. Maybe I will stop there only on beautiful days when it will have more folks there, or on the weekend. I made some chicken tenders in the air fryer and whipped up a onion-zucchini stirfry with tomato sauce which wasn't great but got the veggies in. A long talk with DD which went quite well.It is a tough year for her with very long days, which is exacerbated by her health issues.
Gardenerjoy- yay always for decreasing neck pain.
Karen-that was too funny about the restaurant. How long will you be on your trip?
Maryann- sounds like a very fun game.
Bill-I haven't heard about a baby Sprinkle either but it makes sense. My niece who had a first baby in her late 30s is fairly minimalist and is interested in cash towards house renovations , which I am very happy to help with.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

We've got rain this morning so I rearranged my plan for today to do a shopping run at Whole Foods until after an afternoon webinar. I'll schedule a snack for just before I go so that the many less-healthy options there are not a temptation. There was a time that I pretended everything in the store was suitable to my plan, but that attitude didn't serve me well.

Exercise +505 630/1700 minutes for January

BillBlueEyes: I agree -- no apostrophe in hers or his or theirs (but I struggle with that last one).
Closed Thread