Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Continue to feel a bit off. Someone said the bariometric pressure is high and that can cause dizziness etc, or maybe that was last week. I have an appointment to see a chiropractor after thanksgiving because my neck has been clicking a lot for a few months, so maybe they can address this too, I feel like its my vestibular system. The whole thing keeps me from doing much moving around at home. Whine, whine.
Anyhow last night I did make a healthy skillet ground turkey meal and roasted some broccoli and carrots. I still have a lot of soup/stew left and froze one serving of each. I did not eat candy at work yesterday. The exterminator was very pleasant, replaced bait and sealed something off something outside. I have two grabbers/reachers and don't need two, so I gave him one and he was very pleased. so nice to make someone's day so easily.
Wave to all.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #92  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

You know me- I drop off when I'm eating poorly. Sorry to be such a fair weather friend.

There is a rollerskating event in an empty store in the mall tonight. This one has some rental skates but a lot of them don't. I've been wanting to get my own skates but haven't yet- need to get on that.

waving to all! Have a great day.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:30 PM   #93  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I went to the grocery store this morning. The original plan was to go tomorrow, but we ran out of lettuce. I feel like I should be better, by now, at knowing how much lettuce to buy, but apparently not.

This may work out better, anyway. I'll be able to justify shopping again on Monday or early Tuesday, before the worst of the Thanksgiving rush.

Exercise +50, 830/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +2152, 34,166/50,000 words for November

Penny: It's almost always a bad sign if I drop off for a few days or, worse, longer. OTOH, it can be a real reset to get going again. This adage is sometimes useful for me: "The only way to lose is to quit." As long as I'm here, then I haven't quit and I'm still winning at this weird game that seems necessary for me to live in a healthy body. Your pop-up roller rink sounds fun!

curlyjax: I get changes in my sinus and ear congestion with barometric changes. So, I could see that happening.

BillBlueEyes: On the family Zoom call last night, DH's nephew complained that one of his co-workers and a teammate in a Bocce ball league kept talking about how they could use cameras and write software to keep statistics. DH and I could see why that might be more fun for some people than actually playing the game.

maryann: Hope you're feeling better!
Old 11-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #94  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I had too many off plan cashews yesterday, but today is good. I got out for a ten mile hike this morning and wore enough clothing to stay warm and took a backpack that would fit the clothes when I needed to remove them. I even took shorts and changed into them at the top of Bell Pass. I didn't see anybody for at least 6 miles so no problem changing clothing on the trail. I listened to some podcasts on the trail to reinforce the fact that it would be a good thing to cut down a bit on fat, which includes nuts. I can certainly have some, just don't need to go crazy. I also reviewed My Fitness Pal where I log my food and I see I'm not as good about it as I thought. I'm going to work on that too.

Dh actually came home yesterday and said his sciatica was better. What a relief just to know something he is doing is helping and that it can get better. That made my day, but of course not as much as it made his day. When I finish this note I'm going to do some cooking. I found a Brussel sprouts recipe that looks really good and then our usual sweet potatoes, roasted veggies and tofu. I make enough that we have several dinners.

GardenerJoy It looks like you're doing really well with the word count. I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to want to go to the grocery store too. It's a little early now, but really the only thing that will matter is probably the portobello mushrooms.

Penny I am so the same about posting. Have fun skating!

Curlyjax Major kudos for not eating candy at work! Also, I would bet it's your vestibular system too rather than barometric pressure causing your off feeling. I hope it's resolved soon.

Bill Good job passing on the snacks. My biggest problem with umbrellas (when I lived in WA and we honestly rarely used them) is that I would forget to get it on my way out of where ever I took it. Maybe that's why we rarely used them, since they were lost.

MaryannI would never make it limiting carbs to 100. I do limit processed food to almost none, but there are so many carbs even in the fruits and vegetables I eat. Good thing we each get to choose what works for us.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Suffragette Susan B. Anthony arrested for illegally voting (1872)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was rushed so I could get to a Zoom meeting and DW could get to a different Zoom presentation. I'm so old that I remember doing things together in the evening, LOL. Dinner included sauteed fresh spinach. We eat spinach often - both just love it. Don't know why I don't have Popeye's arms.

Excitement was a package arriving from L.L.Bean for DW: a warm winter coat for working outdoors and their standard Duck Boots. She has a long relationship with them; frequently orders outerwear. She chats with someone on the phone to decide which size to order since each item tends to run "large" or "small" or "normal." Almost like shopping at a store. I need some new boots but need to get to a brick-and-mortar store for the fit. So many places closed with the COVID pandemic that I need to research where to go for the simple task of buying shoes. Unfortunately, my ability to procrastinate fits perfectly with my lack of desire to shop for clothes.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Around here Bocce is always played with at least two very-old Italian men sitting on a bench commenting wisely. Or, at least, that's what I assume since they do so in Italian and all the other men just nod their heads.

Karen (karenrn) - Fun thought that it was warm enough to change into shorts on the top of the mountain. Such good news that your DH is feeling better - may that continue. Yep, we've donated our share of umbrellas to wherever they go.

curlyjax - Yay for the joy of giving an unneeded grabber to someone who can use it. Do hope your "feeling off" settles down. Your turkey dish sounds good.

Penny. - When rollerskating, do you wear helmet and pads? Around here rollerskating is a distant second to ice skating where kids about three feet tall skate circles around all adults.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Special Advice for Ordering In

The more often you practice eating out and ordering in, the better you will get at it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 149.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #96  

I got into the candy at work yesterday and then there were homemade whoopee pies that one of the ladies always makes, which I also indulged in. I'm giving myself a little break until this dizziness thing passes. But i did eat my oatmeal-blueberry-cinnamon-walnut-coconut flakes mixture for breakfast with a Vitamin D gummy, so that started the day off well. I'm low on vitamin d and you're supposed to take it with a meal to help it absorb. I splurged on steak tips and mashed potatoes for dinner, but was truly hungry and ate it all.
Today I am going in to work late as i'm staying late to help with a holiday fair which will be very fun. I'm giving myself permission to buy a few homemade cookies and a few trinkets which are all reasonably priced. My dad's edema is doing better and they're talking about sending him to a rehab which will give us a little more time to prep things. I'm not sure when-things are always last minute in the medical world.
Bill- an LL Bean store has opened up about 20 minutes from me, i'm quite excited because unlike you I do like to shop sometimes! And I have the credit card which gives me points for clothing, i once got a winter coat paid for that way.
Karen-so glad your DH is feeling better. Curious about what makes the brussel sprouts recipe good- does it contain garlic?
Gardenerjoy- too funny about the Bocce comment. Everyone has their own ideas of fun!
Penny-that rollerskating sounds so fun.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

I'm happy to be done with writing for today so I can move on to a list of things that I want to finish before Thanksgiving week. We're doing nothing, particularly, for Thanksgiving. I want to give myself a week of writing, self-care, and fun projects -- which motivates me to do all the less-fun projects today.

Exercise +80, 910/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +1906, 36,072/50,000 words for November

BillBlueEyes: According to DN, Bocce is a big thing in the Midwest, right now -- from amateur leagues to serious play with (a little) prize money. One factor seems to be that it's relatively COVID-safe. Even indoors, you can wear a mask and/or stand 6-feet away from anyone that you don't know well, even teammates and opponents.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #98  

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan. Weight stable. I hiked this morning but cut it a little shorter since it was so windy. I did have enough clothes on at first, but then I pulled my long pants off and had my short pants underneath and I was a little cold. I think part of it was also that I didn't think I needed back to back 10 mile hikes. After that I came home and walked Otis and did some stuff around the house. I just got home from Costco and it was a madhouse as expected. I didn't really need too much. The lines were longer than I've been in for a long time.

Curlyjax I didn't end up doing the Brussel sprouts yesterday, but I'm doing them today. They are steamed a bit, then flattened a bit, then air fried with a little oil, salt, nutritional yeast, paprika and garlic powder. Then there is a dip made of raw cashews, roasted red bell pepper, almond milk, garlic and salt. The picture looks appealing. I'll let you know how they are. I'm going to use the mini bowl for my food processor to make the dip. I haven't ever used it, so I got the instruction book out.

Dh is home so I will get to posting earlier tomorrow with personals.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:25 AM   #99  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Later check-in.

The rollerskating event was fun but it was just me being there for my 11yo to skate with his rollerblades. The rentals weren't available. We are going to go to the rollerskating rink tomorrow and try some on to purchase. There is a free pop-up event that happens around the city and it would be fun to go regularly. My son is wanting to dress up more for it. Yeah!

Food was abysmal, but I'm still here so- winning! Thanks, Joy.

Curly, I'm sorry you are struggling with the vertigo. That sounds miserable! You can try eating low, low sodium for a bit and rule out Menier's. I'm glad your dad is being taken care of and getting better.

Karen, your hiking mileage is impressive, as always. I'm glad your dh is feeling better.

Maryann, I hope you're doing well with your Targets. I need to read some more of that book.

Bill, lol at the spinach not resulting in Popeye arms. It must be because you are not suffering the canned variety.

Joy, kudos for meeting all of your monthly/daily goals. Are you going to try and publish your writing? I appreciate your supportive words.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:43 AM   #100  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Abraham Lincoln: "Four score and seven years ago..." (1863, Gettysburg)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Fun walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping by the hardware store to buy a light switch. Years and years ago, I installed an (old-fashioned, mechanical) dimmer on an overhead light that we only use on its max setting. Dimmer now has to be banged several times to go on or off. I'll replace it with a simple switch. Was impressed that I had a bunch of choices in addition to white vs beige and 15 amp vs 20 amp. Took the three choices to the gray-haired guy who's worked there forever. He gave me a deep-voiced, quite assured answer . . . that was just wrong. I went back and read the markings engraved on the switches. The correct answer is: light usage, heavy usage, industrial usage - for increasing prices. That made sense; I chose "heavy usage", got my 10% old man's discount. Then the unexpected, "Would you like to round up your total donating the difference to XXX Children's Hospital?" A winner for me because I merely take the change home to put in a container until I can figure out how to dispose of it. Didn't matter which hospital - this family owned store has been at this location for more than 50 years; it won't be a scam.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Excitement was disassembling the patio table to bring into the basement for the winter. It's an easy job, but my body size makes it easier to carry the round table top down the outside basement stairs. It's always a challenge because it offers the opportunity to trip, roll over the top of the table, and smash my head on the concrete floor. Like a YouTube video of "Having a bad day." Got it all done and see that the outside temperature at this moment is below freezing. So we were just in time since the process includes washing them. A sad acceptance that summer is coming to an end.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Continued Congrats for your moving word count. We've had a Bocce set for years; we play our own version of "Lawn Bocce" where offbeat terrain and distance makes luck a more prominent thing. We have a niece-in-law who can't be beat - just uncanny.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for surviving the long lines at Costco; they can be the longest that I face anywhere. Windy conditions are always a challenge for finding the right set of layers.

curlyjax - A stint in rehab sounds like a good transition strategy for your dad. Glad to hear that he's feeling better.

Penny. - LOL that canned spinach is needed for Popeye arms - must be the leached tin. I'd be a tad concerned if my lovely little boy at the age of 11 began to pay attention to his dress - adolescence could be slipping in.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

Special Advice for Ordering In

You will make a shift from, I feel deprived, to I'm so happy I stuck to my plan. You will also make a shift from, I can't wait to eat a lot, to I'd so much rather be thinner than eat extravagantly ... I's not worth it!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 149.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-20-2022 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #101  

I had a fun time at work at our holiday fair. I bought too many homemade goodies, but I also brought my healthy salad and turkey casserole. It was a fun day. I also indulged in a few cheap "new to me" holiday decorations and very reasonably priced homesewn odds and ends. I am NOT going to the pottery sale that is going on this weekend as I don't have anyone to buy for with that stuff, and I have enough pottery. It's time to start decluttering, not adding to it. I have a small family and my friends and I don't do presents, so the holiday season isn't expensive or stressful in that way.
I'm having a leisurely morning as I have my mammogram later this morning. I figure there's no point in doing anything before hand. I need to get groceries today which will be a mob scene, and hit the dump. I'm not exercising as I want to keep my movement dizziness to a minimum-i'm fine when i'm sitting still.
Gardenerjoy- that's funny that Bocce is a thing, maybe its replacing cornhole
Karen -that sounds like a lot of work for Brussel Sprouts but they do sound really good.
Penny-my food is abysmal too. I don't think its Menieres, it isn't that bad. i suspect its stress related, caused by my dad's issues. so cute your son wants to dress up.
Bill-glad you got your patio table done safely, goodness!
Old 11-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

I have brand-new warm winter boots to wear for our vigil today. For years, I've thought that I didn't need them because I mostly stay home when it's cold. I made do with wool socks under my current walking shoes or, when it snowed, 25-year-old old-school heavy leather hiking boots (that are slightly too small to accommodate the socks that might have helped keep my feet warm).

This month, we passed the eighth anniversary of our weekly vigil, every Saturday for an hour, in all kinds of weather. It suddenly occurred to me, as my feet were freezing last week, that a weekly event is more than enough to justify owning appropriate footwear.

Part of my problem, I think, was that I assumed these were going to cost as much as my old-school heavy leather hiking boots. But they were nowhere near that much.

CREDIT for thinking that all the way through, even if it took me way too long to get there.

Exercise +80, 960/1700 minutes for November
Wordcount +1930, 38,002/50,000 words for November

Penny: It's way too early in the process to think about publishing. But, of course, I have grand dreams....
Is dressing up part of the roller rink culture these days? When I was skating in the 1970s, we wore jeans and t-shirts.

curlyjax: We heard about cornhole being a thing in the same conversation. I had no idea! DN's new job is working for a company that sets up social games, like Bocce and cornhole, for events. They're doing a good business, right now. Companies that want to entice their employees back to the office from work-from-home, set up these events to take place at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Everyone in the office gets dismissed a half-hour early that day to go participate in social games.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Happy T. Day break.

I am in Redding, Ca about 2 hours from me.

At a hotel. Had dinner with my buddy who I drove and her friend who will cut our hair today. Then a little thrift shopping. I have planned carbs for two days and Have done much better .

I need to fit in more veggies and fruit like Karen said. Little by little.

SO happy to have ten days off.

Wave to all
Old 11-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #104  

Good morning coaches,

Food is on plan and weight is stable. I woke up super early and got out of bed so I wouldn't disturb dh. I have a very comfortable chair in the office that I like to sit in and read the news on my computer, listen to You Tube videos etc. I actually went back to bed for an hour and a half after breakfast and fell asleep for a short time while watching a Christmas movie. I think that was just what I needed. I've vacuumed the house and I'm doing some laundry today.

We did clean out the fridge and the addition of the Brussel sprouts dish last night. They were good but tasted a little salty. I think the little bit of salt, nutritional yeast and paprika could have each been cut in half. Dh is a saint about eating little bits of leftovers because he doesn't like to waste any more than I do.

Maryann Have fun on your get away and enjoy your time off.

GardenerJoy I've been looking at some short boots called Crave from Taos that keep popping up in my FB feed. I love them but won't purchase them cause unlike you I truly don't have anywhere to wear them. I'm glad you got some boots though. I think there is nothing more important than taking care of our feet and proper footwear.

Curlyjax The holiday fair sounds very fun. I'd have to say I'd be done in with having to face the goodies though. I hope things settle down with your Dad and your vertigo issue resolves soon.

Bill I'm glad you got the patio furniture put away without injury. Some of those chores are not so heavy as extremely awkward.

Penny Glad you're here. I remember getting indoor skates for Christmas one year. White leather with a stretchy sock like thing that went over them and pompoms on them. Lot's of good times were had at the roller rink.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Credit for finishing my water and a good breakfast. I also added some veggies. Good Enough. Everyday isn't a homerun. I had a wonderful trip with my friend and then came home to watch tv with my DH. It is so frustrating. We have nearly Zero in common on what we like to watch on TV. I have tried three or four series and literally all them have had women being forced into prostitution or being attacked. I cannot stand it. Of course, maybe I am ignoring the violence perpetuated upon men. I don't know. I just want to watch English cozy mysteries and rom coms. Why cant there be something smart, quick and funny? Anyway i'm really cranky with DH because it is somehow my job to find new things to do.

Maybe I am just tired from school. Sometimes it is just better to go to bed. I do not have to fine tune my marriage when I am tired and overwhelmed. Maybe I just have to finish a few https://duotrigordle.com/ and go to bed.

Thank you for listening and three cheers for me closing the kitchen at a reasonable time.
Closed Thread